• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Consistancy: Buttons, Tips and Techniques

Acryte

Smash Ace
Grammar wars on the internet. The majority of my posts use good grammar, and most of my sentences use punctuation correctly. They are generally quite intelligible. This is a relaxed forum where the majority of individuals don't even trouble themselves with things like grammar or spelling things properly. Fragmented sentences and the like are quite commonplace. However, this topic is not about my grammar, and I doubt my grammar has seriously hindered anyone else and their understanding of the topic.

"things you do when you practice" for example could be describing little things your hands do, or small tips that help with something; like how you can first rotate the control stick away from the direction you want to wavedash in, to help in not accidentally turning around when waveshining backward. Basically, tips that could assist someone while they are practicing.

joeplicate

Smash Master
haha dude

why would you spend so much time on a post, especially if it means a lot to you, and not go the extra mile to make it easier to comprehend?

as far as little technical things, i think that's different from person to person

again, my best advice is to keep an extra eye towards technical ability while you're playing friendlies. try to do the new moves you've practiced--like "short hop bair out of shield"--and keep that hand motion in mind as you do it. look for new situations to apply the move in.

and don't spam ever. the game isn't about how much your hands can do, but rather how much your eyes can see. mechanical movement comes second; tech skill (in the sense of purely muscle memory) is just a means to an end.

(on that note, there's also a defensive aspect to tech skill; how often do you hit techs? was it the direction you wanted? do you accidentally spot-dodge or do buffered get-up attacks? how comfortable/confident are you out of your shield, or switching from being cornered to going on the offensive? it all comes with becoming a better player.)

Acryte

Smash Ace
Didn't have much time, I had to get leave for class.

Also, those things are kinda just standard concepts of "playing smart", knowing your options vs the opponent, precision, not doing anything without thinking it through and put it where it needs to be (spaced and timed correctly). This should go without saying (to any player with half a brain and who is decently experienced) and though its the most important aspect of the game, its more of topic material for a different thread.

keep an extra eye towards technical ability while you're playing friendlies ... keep that hand motion in mind as you do it.
That is similar to what I was lookin for though, and yea I agree. Another thing I notice is I am more prone to inputting my directions slightly off, and getting forward B for example instead of shine if my controller isn't parallel with myself (like not squared up with the shoulders), or if I am not almost straight on with the TV, like from a hard side angle. I think I concentrate on the TV for spacing and then press directions which are kinda anchored to the visuals in a way.. Which might be the same for others, I'm used to playing straight on, and I think sometimes I really orient it to the television without thinking about it. Like if you lay upside down and try to play, where it swaps left/right it's not as easy for me to make the adjustment lol. I am used to responding to my position on the TV due to spacing and the like so if my controller angle changes during the match sometimes it affects the consistency of my directional inputs.

crush

Smash Master
i waveshine with the up button and l, i waveland with both r and l, i shield with r, wd oos with l, shorthop out of shine with the up button, wavedash with the x and l buttons, i always l cancel and tech with r, and pillar with shine, shorthop with up button, aerial with c stick, fastfall, l cancell with r. also i cant do a charged forward smash using a and the control stick, for some very odd reason i just cannot do it, so i use c stick and z pressed at the same time to charge forward smashes, and charge down smashes and upsmashes with A + control stick usually

also the reason for all the odd ways of doing this is because i learned most of these techniques for fun when i was 10-11 years old and my hands were really small lol

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
i waveshine with the up button and l, i waveland with both r and l, i shield with r, wd oos with l, shorthop out of shine with the up button, wavedash with the x and 1 buttons, i always l cancel and tech with r, and pillar with shine, shorthop with up button, aerial with c stick, fastfall, l cancell with r. also i cant do a charged forward smash using a and the control stick, for some very odd reason i just cannot do it, so i use c stick and z pressed at the same time to charge forward smashes, and charge down smashes and upsmashes with A + control stick usually

also the reason for all the odd ways of doing this is because i learned most of these techniques for fun when i was 10-11 years old and my hands were really small lol
I had no idea the GCC had a 1 button.

:troll:

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
all this talk about crack from people who have never done crack, as if they know. You probably couldn't wavedash effectively, let alone perform heart surgery, but I'll tell ya you could mash DownB like a crazy mother****er.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I tired to pick up Falco and I realize how hard space animals are to play. You need fast hands, and to perform some techs it's just sooo hard >.< that's why I never really learned him. This thread definitely covers a lot of things because my Falco was terrible because I just have awfully slow hands and was not consistent at all.

Acryte

Smash Ace
one part of learning spacie tech is to turn things into simpler motions. If you can take a waveshine for example and condense it into only 1 motion then it becomes much easier. You condense it into one action, which may help you if you have slower hands. Just keep practicing, as it becomes more comfortable and you get that muscle memory, the timing will seem easier and easier, and because your hands are moving more accurately since they know the timing of what they are trying to do, it won't seem to require as much hand speed as it used to. You won't be in a rush to get to a button etc.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Anyone else get the most bizarre feeling when you are trying to perfect your muscle memory? I can only describe it like butterflies in your stomach, or anxiety...or something like that. I can literally FEEL the difference between what I want and what I want to achieve via muscle memory. I almost get nauseated when I mess up something.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else get the most bizarre feeling when you are trying to perfect your muscle memory? I can only describe it like butterflies in your stomach, or anxiety...or something like that. I can literally FEEL the difference between what I want and what I want to achieve via muscle memory. I almost get nauseated when I mess up something.
Well, for me, I just get frustrated just thinking about a tech I screwed up even if I'm not playing the game. It kind of drives me to perfect it.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
You know how when you first learn wavedashing, you can only do it with 1, maybe 2 characters? How the different airdodge timings between characters **** you up? Well, you probably tried to troubleshoot this by trying different timings and analyzing differences between characters. If you did, you'd quickly find that it doesn't seem to help and that your brain can't possibly memorize 26 different timings. Immediately, you might have thought that the game was giving you a task that you could never get consistent with, and marveled at other people when they could wavedash fluidly. But then over time, if you stuck with it, you'd master wavedashing through raw practice, and you'd wonder why you were making such a fuss about it all.

Well yeah, this is the same thing. You are over thinking it. Just practice and it will come to you. What joe is saying is right, and is really obvious to anyone who has reached a level of technical consistency. Just do what is comfortable/consistent for you and get really good at it. There isn't much more to say than that.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i actually think there are a lot less than 26 timings for wavedash

iirc (or from what sheridan told me, and i believe it)
the time you have to wait from jumping and pressing L or R for the wavedash depends on your character, because you can't airdodge for the wavedash until the first frame you're airborne from initiating your jump

like, bowser is the slowest by far
then ganon then link (roughly)
then falco, who's tied with jigglypuff
falcon seems a little faster
then a whole slew of characters like mario and luigi
then fox is really fast, and i think pikachu's really fast too
and sheik is the fastest i think

5 frames - Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link

6 frames - DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi

7 frames - Ganondorf / Link / Zelda

-

9 frames - Bowser

so even though they're technically the same, some wavedashes definitely "feel" faster to me (like it feels like you need to hit L faster with sheik than with fox)

my hypothesis:
some characters pick their feet up off the ground faster, so although the first frame you can start the wavedash on is the same, there's a smaller window of error, and thus the timing feels faster.

characters who rise faster out of their jump would probably have a smaller window of timing to get an effective wavedash. also traction could play a part, because the more traction a character has, the better executed the wavedash has to be to gain the same amount of distance (even if they get airborne on the same frame). so that could change your effective timing too, i think.

hmm, that's pretty interesting

but yeah, i still think it's less than 26 separate timings. anyways, wavedashing with different characters gets easier as you place their effective timings in a spectrum from fastest to slowest. my biggest tech problem with falco by far is consistent wavedashing, since i have to wait longer compared to fox

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Man, joe, way to ruin my sweet analogy lol.

But yeah, thats very interesting for sure. Some characters have very similar timings. I can hardly tell the difference between Marth and Doc for example. The only character who is a really big outlier is Bowser, and I have to admit that hes the character I **** up wavedashes with most. But that probably has to do with the fact I pick him on the character selection screen like once a year or something lol.

Acryte

Smash Ace
my biggest tech problem with falco by far is consistent wavedashing, since i have to wait longer compared to fox
Yea going from Fox back to Falco it's like you have to train yourself to wait again because Fox's waveshine/wavedash timing is so fluid. Falco because of the waiting is a little choppier and requires that slight pause or at least a slower motion. One way to do it though is like joe said, you gauge them by how slow they are and kinda just know the timing. The only one that is really inconsistent for me at least is Bowser's since its so damn slow lol.

Top Bottom