• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Jump?

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I could have sworn that I've done this before, but I wasn't sure and couldn't reproduce it, so I never really mentioned it. But now I'm seeing the same thing done on video. Basically, I want to know what in the world happens about 4 seconds in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btfj6YzUTBs

So Bowser hits Fox with his over-B, and Fox techs right about at the ledge (it wasn't an edgetech) and then immediately jumps. Why did that happen? Did the ledge cancel his tech in the same way that it can cancel aerial attacks? If you time it right, can you jump out of techs? I can't really think of what could have caused that since it wasn't an edgetech or a walljump of any kind. Plus it looks pretty cool.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
What's the timing for it? I can't seem to get it right. Also, how come I've never seen anyone do this before? It seems like a valid option if you're being tech chased.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
wow great find ive never seen this before, it indeed look like it could be an effective anti techchase strategy if it isnt too difficult.

red stone

Smash Ace
i think you need to have momentum to be pushed into the air when you tech.

you need to be hit so that either when you tech, you are off the stage or you are in the air. a rolling tech stops momentum.

so basically, think of it like this. when you do a standing tech, you tech and than your body flips up to hit ground. with enough momentum, you will bounce out and when your body flips to hit ground, there will be no ground, and you can jump at that point.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Oh ok, that makes sense. Yeah, I couldn't remember if I did it near a ledge a while back. Thanks for clearing that up.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace

you need to be hit so that either when you tech, you are off the stage or you are in the air. a rolling tech stops momentum.

so basically, think of it like this. when you do a standing tech, you tech and than your body flips up to hit ground. with enough momentum, you will bounce out and when your body flips to hit ground, there will be no ground, and you can jump at that point.
I had to read it a million times but I finally understood. It makes a lot of sense. At first I thought it was a wall tech then jump but then I realized that fox was facing towards the stage while jumping so it couldn't be that.

Now to implement it into my game.

SCOTU

Smash Hero

I believe this is correct. I don't have any counterproof, but i have done the tech jump many times when ground teching (on a passing by platform) otherwise lethal attacks. And i tried just using the timing for a walltech jump on a normal tech, doesn't work. So i'm guessing you need the momentum. This is further backed by the fact that it would then be an aerial jump (and makes the noise), and you don't have your aerial jump after doing this. Usually it sucks though, since now you don't have a jump.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
This was purely an edge-cancelled tech to a midair. Edge-cancelling techs is not very controllable, but certainly useful to be able to act quickly from if you see it's possible.

edge cancelling

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Hey Phanna, I asked this question in the Character boards but no one really knew what I was talking about. I was wondering what the difference was between a No-Impact Drop and a PC Drop.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Hey Phanna, I asked this question in the Character boards but no one really knew what I was talking about. I was wondering what the difference was between a No-Impact Drop and a PC Drop.
Both no-impact drop and PC drop are the same in terms of how much lag there is landing on the platform (none). The PC drop is really the midair going back UP to the platform, it's the perfect frame inbetween impact drop and no-impact drop. It's just a faster version of no-impact drop.

For those who are confused, he's talking about this video:

Platforms 101

While I'm on the topic, PC Jump is short for "Platform Cancelled Jump" - it's the technique of midairing at the perfect height to flip up to the platform ultra-fast (with no-impact lag once you hit the platform).

Doraki

Smash Lord
you can do this without teching.
if he hadn't teched he would still have slipped off the platform, and he could have double jumped the same way. So the tech isn't necessary.
There may be a difference of momentum wether you tech in place, don't tech, tech-roll towards the edge, or tech-roll the other way.

Top Bottom