• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tekken Vs. Street Fighter

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
This should have been Namco vs. Street Fighter.

That, and the fact they're making this into two separate games that have no interaction between each other is one of the worst marketing ploys I've ever heard of.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
That's exactly why its such a bad idea. The chances of either of these games being pulled off correctly is incredibly slim. There fighting styles are based on very, very different ideas of zoning. Someone's gonna get ****ed over, and the fact that they expect you to buy 2 games is even more lauhable.

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
..What the heck was I saying, I meant Namco vs. Capcom. Go look at the cast of Namco x Capcom. They could have used a ton of those characters, like Wonder Momo or KOS-MOS or Klonoa or even the Dig Dug guy for chrissakes.

It's nice and all that they have two separate gameplay styles but did that really need to be on two full-priced discs? They really should be working on one game together to balance everything out as well as possible, especially with the whole "Street Fighter has projectiles" thing going on.

finalark

SNORLAX
So when I heard about this I was like "... wait, what?" Seriously, those two franchises have nothing in common in terms of game play. As Lordvaati said, Tekken VS. Virtua Fighter would make sense but VS. Street Fighter...?

Hey Capcom, how about a new Darkstalkers? Power Stone?

Yaya

Smash Champion
*sigh*

Really wish this coulda been Namco vs. Capcom, a lot of Namco characters would fit in great.

You got the Tales of series, you have plenty of more fighters in Soul Calibur...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
This should have been Namco vs. Street Fighter.

That, and the fact they're making this into two separate games that have no interaction between each other is one of the worst marketing ploys I've ever heard of.
What choice did they have? If they would have made one game, they would have had to choose between making it play like Street Fighter and peeing off all the Tekken fans, or making it play like Tekken and peeing off all the Street Fighter fans. By making both, they make everyone happy. No one's forcing you to buy both, or either of them for that matter, if you don't want to.

finalark

SNORLAX
What choice did they have? If they would have made one game, they would have had to choose between making it play like Street Fighter and peeing off all the Tekken fans, or making it play like Tekken and peeing off all the Street Fighter fans. By making both, they make everyone happy. No one's forcing you to buy both, or either of them for that matter, if you don't want to.
True, but I remember reading a while back that there was another game like this that crossed over two very different fighting games franchises. So to satisfy fans of those two games you could switch between two modes, one being one game's game play and the second mode being the other game's game play. So why couldn't they just do that here? I'm pretty sure we have enough room on our disks these days to do so.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
True, but I remember reading a while back that there was another game like this that crossed over two very different fighting games franchises. So to satisfy fans of those two games you could switch between two modes, one being one game's game play and the second mode being the other game's game play. So why couldn't they just do that here? I'm pretty sure we have enough room on our disks these days to do so.
I'm not familiar with the game you're talking about. I think you may be referring to the Capcom Vs. SNK games, but I've never played those, so I'm not sure. In any case, I think that Street Fighter and Tekken are such entirely different games that you'd literally be getting two whole games for one price if they put them both on the same disc. It'd be like getting New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the same disc for one price. They're both complete games, so why should you only have to pay for one of them?

Making it two game modes and one disc, or both discs for one price. Would you shell out $100 for the complete experience? No one I've asked so far has said yes.
You are getting a full experience though. You're acting like they're each only going to be half a game. They're both full, stand alone, fighting games; so I don't see why you don't think you should have to pay for both of them. It's no different than saying that you should get Tekken 6 and Street Fighter 4 for $60.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

gay

edit: nvm, watched the gameplay vid. looks tight. Kazuya looks amazing. Ryu looks copy and pasted. lol

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I thought the idea was dumb at first.
Watching the video, it looks pretty cool and fun.

Can't wait to try it out.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Not buying this game reguardless. The Street Fighter cast are basically copy pasted into this game. I'll spent my money on KoF and Arcane Heart 3.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not buying this game reguardless. The Street Fighter cast are basically copy pasted into this game. I'll spent my money on KoF and Arcane Heart 3.
According to the press release, the game is using the Street Fighter IV engine so they're going to look imported.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
needs Megaman vs. pac Man now, thanks to that trailer. still.....WTF? 2010/2011 shall forever be known as the years the Vs. series went haywire.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
When I first saw this thread, I assumed it was something else entirely...

I don't quite understand how this will play out. Forget the control scheme being COMPLETELY different in both games but the fighting style of the characters is not even on the same level. I can't even begin to fathom how the gameplay will be like.

I retract my statement. It looks sick. But seeing that Namco and Capcom will be developing two separate games, I'm going to go for the one made by Namco. I'm far too unfamiliar with SF controls.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6U7jZ-qMfI

The first time I heard about SF vs Tekken I was like "wtf?" as well. The gameplay is too different to satisfy Tekken and SF fans. Making it into two separate games with both engines being used is actually a good idea. There are many that would only stick with one franchise but now that you see both franchise mixed, some people may end up giving the other engine a try. I have a gut feeling that SF vs Tekken will sell much better than Tekken vs SF though (the order of this title actually matters because they're both completely different games - SFvT uses SF engine while TvSF uses Tekken engine).

After the gameplay, I'm really liking what I see. Its just a SF game with many more characters which isn't bad at all. I noticed they added in some stuff like roll-getups. Maybe if they add in techrolls too.. hmm. That would definitely make it more interesting. I'm loving the tag team supers.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I bet when they were brainstorming this game, someone was like, "You know what would be really cool? If there was a game where Zangief wrestled bears!" and someone else was like, "There's a bear in Tekken."

Yep.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I have a gut feeling that SF vs Tekken will sell much better than Tekken vs SF though (the order of this title actually matters because they're both completely different games - SFvT uses SF engine while TvSF uses Tekken engine).[/B

Do not underestimate the Tekken fanbase. I, for one, am more acclimated towards Tekken as a whole.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
This game thus far looks pretty solid, however there's only one thing that bothers me, and that's Kazuya's dash.

His dash was able to go under a projectile, nearly hitting Kazuya but still able to go under, however at mid-range and capable of punishing Ryu. It was even demonstrated that it could be used at close range within the trailer when Kazuya was at the corner, Ryu launched the Hadouken, however Kaz was able to dash right under and land his Ewgf which would have gone into a juggle from what I can tell.

Imo, this "dash" if it's just player specific (hopefully so) or worse universal (Terrible idea if it is) that it be nerfed, so that it doesn't devalue the mid-short range projectile positioning that can occur. At this point, it looks too good, however changes will hopefully come to this.

Other then that, I'm actually more hyped for this fighting game as it looks solid then in contras to MvC3. If you add in Jin Kazama, BoB (Hwoarang not Bob), Heihachi, Ling from the Tekken cast I'll be happy.

Now here's to hoping that Namco unveils their version soon so I can see how it can potentially play like too.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Everyone take a moment and picture these matchups:

Paul Phoenix (red costume) vs. Ken (red costume)
Ganryu vs. E. Honda
Julia vs. T. Hawk
Bryan vs. Balrog
Marshall Law vs. Fei Long

And the one I can't wait for:

Xiaoyu (schoolgirl outfit) vs. Sakura

<3

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
needs more sidestep lmao
idk seems like street fighters presence is more dominant in this venture so far.
why do they stick with street fighter 4 models? seems like the perfect time to change
maybe put parrying back in from 3rd strike too so this wont be such a slow *** game like 4

metaXzero

Smash Champion
needs more sidestep lmao
idk seems like street fighters presence is more dominant in this venture so far.
why do they stick with street fighter 4 models? seems like the perfect time to change
maybe put parrying back in from 3rd strike too so this wont be such a slow *** game like 4
Their is no footage of Tekken X Street Fighter out yet. All we have is Street Fighter X Tekken which is for all intents and purposes IS suppossed to have a more Street Fighter precence.

Capcom loves to reuse things remember? Remember how long it took for them to move on from SFII sprites, how they used the Alpha sprites for nearly everyhing later, and so one?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Kinda surprised people keep neglecting that fact. Both games were announced at the same time.

It's moreso 2 different games with the same premise.

SFXT is made by Capcom and is made to play like SF. It appears to be using an updated version of the SFIV engine. Alot can change in 2 years though

TXSF is made by Namco and is made to play like Tekken. I've heard it'll be using an updated version of the Tekken 6 engine. Again, alot can change in a few years.

Both games are being made independently. Yoshinori Ono has even said "Namco could make Chun Li nude in their game and we (Capcom) wouldn't know".

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I can already imagine the button combinations for Hadouken in TxSF: LP + RP. A rising uppercut will probably be something needlessly complicated.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Why is it that every time a new SF game comes out you'll have people wanting and hoping for the stupid parry system to return again? Three SF games of close range hugging with high/low mixups and tons of throwing w/ guessing what you'll do along with your opponent wasn't enough already?

For Tekken vs Street Fighter Namco version, you can still utilized the QCF motion for the Hadouken, that shouldn't be a problem.

Lastly, TvsSF utilizing the T6 engine ='s Fail, I'll weep when I see Ryu sitting there doing nothing but Juggle+Bound.

Top Bottom