• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Tentative: MBR Official Ruleset for 2012

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@Kal:

You realize you are spending more time complaining about how we formed the framework of the ruleset than taking this golden opportunity to have an impact on what becomes of it right?

If you want your democracy, I am presenting it. Otherwise, accept it. Complaining accomplishes nothing if it is not accompanied by a proposal for change backed by reason.

I see you writing a lot of words, but not really saying anything, as none of it is relevant to me.

So say something.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I knew ud focus on that bones, youre an idiot. Best to ignore every arguement u cant win and focus on silly **** that wasnt meant to be taken seriously.

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah, I don't get that either. All these people complaining about a lack of standards for banning stages, yet no one has suggested a good standard for banning stages...

Bones0

Smash Legend
I knew ud focus on that bones, youre an idiot. Best to ignore every arguement u cant win and focus on silly **** that wasnt meant to be taken seriously.

You presented no argument in that post, which is why I'm just down to trollin' your rage. If you want to give a good reason why a stage should be legal but not included in the stage strike, I'm all ears.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Yea... Im done no1 wants to talk stages and bones has selective vision.

Try the part of the post where u full of grade A **** on why stadium was moved down.

Bye guys.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I explained that Stadium was moved to counter picks because we HAD to get rid of a stage to allow for stage striking. Stadium is the most random (by far, I should add) of all the legal stages, so that's why it gets its place as the counter pick. If BF didn't exist, PS would be neutral. The main point is that I only resorted to judging stages by how random they were because we HAD to remove a stage from the starter list. There's no reason to have legal stages as counter picks because all that is doing is preventing them from being played game 1.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@Spam_arrows: I would suggest reading the OP then. Tends to be more correct than random people. :p

@Rone: The problem with what you are proposing vs what you say you want is that they are two very different things and it is not giving you a strong foundation for argument.

If you want a stage added or removed from legality, present the case with why you think the stage is or is not legitimate.

If you want a stage added or removed from neutrality, the same thing applies, but you have to be far more detailed and specific towards how each factor of the stage influences matchups, as well as how it influences the play of a set.

Sauce Boss

Smash Journeyman
I like this, honestly its a good change. Most puff players won't be to happy about the change in Kongo Jungle/Brinstar. But then again its puff players.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The whole "who cares, it's puff" thing is no good, but thanks for the positive feedback. :p

Puff players have feelings too!

Who am I kidding? Puff players are soulless *******s.

*:troll:*

Kal

Smash Champion
@Kal:

You realize you are spending more time complaining about how we formed the framework of the ruleset than taking this golden opportunity to have an impact on what becomes of it right?
How am I supposed to make any sort of point when you'll dismiss all of it according to your subjective preference? You already maintain, ideologically, that Brinstar and Mute City should be banned because, as per your poorly defined "player vs. player purity," these stages are not "player vs. player."

If you want your democracy, I am presenting it. Otherwise, accept it. Complaining accomplishes nothing if it is not accompanied by a proposal for change backed by reason.

I see you writing a lot of words, but not really saying anything, as none of it is relevant to me.
So be it. It seems you'd rather have people prove, according to your subjective criteria, which is already defined in such a way as to ban these stages, that these stages should not be banned.

So say something.
What would you like me to say? You haven't addressed anything in my first wall of text (save for claims about your democratic process). What about where I explain how this "player vs. player vs. stage" notion is ill-defined?

Or is that not worth addressing? I'll quote it just to bring it to the foreground.

2) "Player vs. Player vs. Stage"

Some like to argue that a stage like Brinstar introduces a mechanic of "player vs. stage," which they claim does not exist in the starter stages. This is nonsensical, however: given two different stages, there will necessarily be different strategies invoked on each stage. Why is it ok for players to need to manage space better on Yoshi's Story, or to have to keep in mind that there are larger gaps between the platforms there, and to keep the low ceiling in mind; why is it ok for players to need to compensate for moving platforms on Fountain of Dreams, and account for the very high ceiling; why do people have to learn to maintain pressure better on Dreamland due to the very large space, and account for the very high ceiling?

Because it's part of the game. But, for a reason no one has sufficiently explained, lava on Brinstar and the cars on Mute City are somehow different enough to warrant a ban.

TOs should keep in mind that the only way to completely remove the player vs. stage element is to have a Hax-style ruleset of exactly one legal stage. Battlefield is a good choice, but I'm more prone to picking Green Greens.
I also go through the trouble of addressing randomness, which you also seem to have ignored. I've explained why the logic behind calling a stage neutral based on how it affects matchups is circular, and you seem to have ignored that as well.

So, you want me to explain why certain stages should be legal, but you want to avoid the more important meta-discussion about what should and should not be banned in general? You'll always have "player vs. stage" as a response to anything I mention until we've come to terms with the term.

Yeah, I don't get that either. All these people complaining about a lack of standards for banning stages, yet no one has suggested a good standard for banning stages...
I mentioned minimalist banning quite a few times. And, though I haven't made it explicit in this thread, I've mentioned many times before what standards are appropriate for banning things. So, I'll provide the following (though I doubt this will have any effect on anything) as a set of criteria:

1) Peach's Turnip Threshold - Anything random whose impact (read: expected value) is greater than that of Peach's Turnip should be banned.

2) The Sheik Threshold - Any strategy that makes unviable more characters than Sheik makes unviable should be banned.

3) Game stopping glitches - Any glitches which prevent the game from being played should be banned (e.g. Ice Climbers freeze glitch).

The second point can be substituted for something more conservative if you'd like (e.g KishPrime uses single-character brokenness). I think the Sheik Threshold is about as liberal as it gets for banning things in order to maintain balance.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Well as long as striking is still in I have no problem then....

As for Puff players...I'm no longer worried about puff with the current rules. My concern is now 100% on IC's and finding time to learn how to play Peach.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Alright Cactus, imma let the whole methodology thing slide for now, and the whole "forming a ruleset with game balance in mind" quandry too, because you don't seem to be interested in changing them.

So how bout this: Can we de-emphasize bo3s in this ruleset? Like, still have a bo3 option like you have now, but just something that says "tournaments should be run bo5 whenever possible; national tournaments should aim to do bo5 for the entire bracket."

That would make me really happy. Just that note. Just a little line of text.

Please?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Specifically addressing Mute City and Brinstar using the Turnip Threshold. Cars and lava are both environmental hazards that do damage. Peach pulling a turnip may give you an object that, if you pull, throw, and successfully hit someone, it will do damage. The cars and lava can damage an opponent with no action on your behalf. The expected value of an opponent getting hit by a car or lava is greater than that of a turnip, and requires no action, while turnip pulling requires action.

Using the Sheik Threshold:
Mute City makes Jigglypuff and Peach the only viable characters (grossly exaggerated opinion lol). This effect is greater than that of Sheik vs Low Tiers.

@TheCrimsonBlur: I can do that. :) I was under the impression we used BO3 to save time though. Not by choice.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Alright Cactus, imma let the whole methodology thing slide for now, and the whole "forming a ruleset with game balance in mind" quandry too, because you don't seem to be interested in changing them.

So how bout this: Can we de-emphasize bo3s in this ruleset? Like, still have a bo3 option like you have now, but just something that says "tournaments should be run bo5 whenever possible; national tournaments should aim to do bo5 for the entire bracket."

That would make me really happy. Just that note. Just a little line of text.

Please?
this will make tournaments go from ending in the hotel room to not ending at all X__X

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think people greatly overestimate how much time is added by doing best of 5. Firstly, MOST sets in pools are 2-0, and with bo5 they would mostly just be a 3-0 instead. Secondly, even when you get further into the bracket where 5 game sets are more likely, that's still only 2 measly additional games per round. MOST tournaments that run short on time is due to waiting for people to arrive, time spent organizing pools, and similar things. It's also important for locals which almost never run late, but also rarely use bo5. I ran bo5 at one of my local tournaments and there was little to no difference.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I've explained time and time again why counter picking is a flawed system. It is only a relic of rule sets that had an upwards of 15 stages. To sum up the argument simply, a tournament set should test players against each other on the 3 most fair stages possible, not 1 fair stage and 1 radically biased stage in favor of either person. When that is the case, sets devolve into game 1 being the deciding factor because winning on either player's counter pick is too unreasonable.
Your logic only applies if some stages are broken or gives certain characters too much of an advantage to reasonable overcome. All of the stages that did this were banned a long time ago. As the rule-set is right now it does not follow your goal of the 3 most fair stages, as Pokemon Stadium gives certain characters(spacies for example) far more of an advantage than Kongo Jungle 64 gave anyone.

The CP system is fine because it's not given any characters too great of an advantage. What character is ****ed over or given any frightening advantage because of KJ64? This is less of an effort to reduce unfair stages so much as it is to limit diversity, and anything that doesn't confirm to what we believe ''neutral'' stages sould be like. And that kind of thinking is just dumb.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i didn't even know he was referring to pools as well, thats just crazy.

i dunno i don't see it as 2 "measily" additional games, when there's already only 3 at most. 2 more is alot in comparison.

as for the 2-0 thing, i don't really think thats a fair argument :|

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I thought about mentioning Falcon and Fox, and yeah, those two should definitely be considered. They've got great speed.

KirbyKaze was explaining in the stream of some tourney a couple weeks back (I forget which one, but I think it was in Canada?) about why spacies don't auto-lose on Brinstar, but I've forgotten his reasoning. Maybe he'd be kind enough to explain it again? I just know that Fox can get good benefits from the lava (i.e. jank uair kills), and has good movement there.

EDIT: See: Colbol vs D'oH
In Fox vs another FFer, b-throw > lava (on DI away from b-throw) is amazing. If they DI in, shine them (it legitimately combos against space animals; not sure about Falcon). I think the tentacles need to be destroyed in order for this to work but that's not difficult. F-throw > lava is similarly gay. Shine > lava is great. Lava > shine is also good, because it often leads to more lava. Lava > uair is a good way to kill someone when they hit 100% or so.

I've actually seen Foxes counterpick Falcos here a bunch of times because it disrupts his laser game when he has to compete for the top platform (and the tentacles and other crap disrupt him a bit).

Falcon benefits more because of pseudo CGs off d-throw and d-throw has a really horizontal send if you DI it away so it's hard to avoid lava setups. He also combos off lava better because of knee. He also gets an improved recovery from being able to falcon kick the lava and acquire a jump.

Falco can just dair people into the lava and does a great job competing for the top platform. Destroying the tentacles often prevent you from needing to jump > shine > DJ > shine (or similar mid-air stalls) to wait out the lava (applicable to all space animals). Cactuar told me he did a 300% damage combo on Kage in a MM at RoM (the original!) by just dairing him into the lava repeatedly. I've seen Unknown do similar stuff.

I really don't see the level as being beyond horrible (in terms of balance issues strictly) unless someone is using Jigglypuff, honestly.

Kal

Smash Champion
Specifically addressing Mute City and Brinstar using the Turnip Threshold. Cars and lava are both environmental hazards that do damage. Peach pulling a turnip may give you an object that, if you pull, throw, and successfully hit someone, it will do damage. The cars and lava can damage an opponent with no action on your behalf. The expected value of an opponent getting hit by a car or lava is greater than that of a turnip, and requires no action, while turnip pulling requires action. .
The "required action" is not really relevant to the threshold. The expected value being greater is debatable (at least), because you haven't provided any concrete probabilities: in my opinion, given appropriate play, a player will get hit by the lava and the cars infrequently enough, and the impact of these hits will be sufficiently small, so that these things do not surpass the Turnip Threshold.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Since when was frequency a factor?

Also, lava into rest does not seem like a small impact. Read KK's post. I've done a 300% damage combo just because I hit someone into the lava once (and then followed up). Also not a small impact.

To rephrase this: Because I hit someone off stage and the lava happened to be up, I got a free 300% combo. But because you said so, this does not qualify as having greater impact than peach pulling a turnip.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't think even Magus420 gives enough of a **** to find the probabilities of Brinstar's acid or Mute City's cars, Kal, and that's saying something.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
@TheCrimsonBlur: I can do that. :)

I was under the impression we used BO3 to save time though. Not by choice.

Nah, there are plenty of examples that contradict that:

1) Europe has been running 48 man brackets w/bo5s & pools & doubles for a while now
2) Florida has run 1 day events with 6 rounds of swiss, an 8 man bracket, an amateur bracket, and doubles. Their attendance has been improved because of this too; I think they are hitting 30-40 for locals now, much more than before.
3) The Big House was a 1 day event with a doubles bracket, 8-9 man pools (iirc), and a singles bracket.

Now, if those TOs can run things like that in 1 day, why can't we run at the same efficiency for 3 day events?

Furthermore, bo5s really don't add much time. See this post from a previous thread:

This is the common argument against bo5. Lets assess the validity of this assertion mathematically.

Most national tournaments these days run 48 man brackets. They are run according to this schedule:

ROUND 1 of games played: 1st round Winners (16 sets)
ROUND 2: 2nd round Winners (16 sets)
ROUND 3: 3rd round Winners (8 sets) + 1st round Losers (16 sets)
ROUND 4: 4th round Winners (4 sets) + 2nd round Losers (8 sets)
ROUND 5: 5th round Winners aka Winners semis (2 sets) + 3rd round Losers (8 sets)
ROUND 6: 8th round Winners aka Winners finals (1 set) + 4th round Losers (4 sets)
ROUND 7: 5th round Losers (4 sets)
ROUND 8: 6th round Losers (2 sets)
ROUND 9: 7th round Losers (2 sets)
ROUND 10: 8th round Losers aka Losers semis (1 set)
ROUND 11: 9th round Losers aka Losers finals (1 set)
ROUND 12: Grand Finals (1-2 sets)

Currently, Grand Finals, Losers finals, Winners semis, and Winners finals are the only sets played bo5. Everything else is played bo3. We can therefore remove rounds 11 and 12 from our calculation (we want to see the difference in run time for a tournament with a bo3 structure v. a bo5 structure) since they are the same for both scenarios. Note that we cannot do the same for rounds 5 and 6 because Losers matches are played concurrently. So we have 10 rounds of sets. For simplicity lets say no matches for the next round start until the current round finishes (in the end this would be about the same effect as if we assumed otherwise; the time gained by starting the next round before all sets are finished is lost later in the bracket because then players would have to wait for sets to finish in order to play their matches)

Since bo3s end in either 2 or 3 matches, the average end time for a set should be around 2.5 games assuming a normally distributed pool of player skill. Similarly, the average for a bo5 is 4 games under the same assumption. This is a net difference of 1.5 games when switching from a bo3 to a bo5 format. Based on my experience, an average Melee game is about 3 minutes long. Lets say there is about 30 seconds of deliberation between games. So a bo3 should take either 6.5 min or 10 minutes (3 min + 30 s + 3 min or 3 min + 30 s + 3 min + 30 s + 3 min) and a bo5 should take either 10 min, 13.5 min, or 17 min (3 min * 3 + 30 s * 2 or 3 min *4 + 30 s *3 or 3 min *5 + 30 s *4) depending on the length of the set.

Minimum time it takes to complete bo3 = 6.5 min
Average time it takes to complete bo3 = 8.25 min
Maximum time it takes to complete bo3 = 10 min

Minimum time it takes to complete bo5 = 10 min
Average time it takes to complete bo5 = 13.5 min
Maximum time it takes to complete bo5 = 17 min

Because we have 10 rounds of sets, we simply have to multiply by 10 to get the total times.

Minimum time it takes to complete bo3 tournament (except for LFs and GFs; if all sets are 2.0)= 65 min
Average time it takes to complete bo3 tournament (except for LFs and GFs) = 82.5 min
Maximum time it takes to complete bo3 tournament (except for LFs and GFs; if all sets are 2-1) = 100 min

Minimum time it takes to complete bo5 tournament (except for LFs and GFs; if all sets are 3-0)= 100 min
Average time it takes to complete bo5 tournament (except for LFs and GFs) = 135 min
Maximum time it takes to complete bo5 tournament (except for LFs and GFs; if all sets are 3-2) = 170 min

Now, of course most bo3 tournaments take longer than 100 mins but thats because most of the time wasted is because players can't find each other, one of them is smoking/taking a piss/eating, hype sets are waiting to be put on livestream, stage striking and pre match deliberations, etc. Notice however, that those time delays are the same for a bo5 and a bo3 tournament. So they do not matter; the only difference in terms of time between a bo5 and a bo3 tournament is the number of games played.

If we are working with the same pool of player skills, you'd expect a bo3 tournament which runs at the min time to also run at the min time for a bo5 tournament (100 min) if it was rerun the bracket as a bo5; it is unlikely that a tournament where all the sets are 2-0 will suddenly have all the sets be 3-2 if a bo5 was implemented. So therefore we can say with confidence that the additional time it takes to run a bo5 tournament over a bo3 is approximately 35-70 minutes for a 48 man bracket. (min time bo5 - min time bo3 and max time bo5 - max time bo3)

This is a rough estimation, but I think its fairly accurate. With these numbers the average time difference is 52.5 min with normally distributed playerskill. But since we know the curve of playerskill is not normally distributed (there tend to be many more 2-0s than 2-1s), we should expect the time to be closer to 35 min than 70 min, and the average to be lower. Knowing that, I'd say the best estimation for the average time differential between a bo5 and a bo3 tournament is ~45 min.

So tell me, are all of the problems that a bo3 format brings worth the 45 minutes it saves? To that I say **** no.
Melee is a super quick game. It pains me to see people fly across the country, make bracket, and then lose in a bo3.

We're better than this people.

Kal

Smash Champion
Since when was frequency a factor?
That's what expected value is. It's the product of frequency and value. Like I said, if you ignore frequency, you could say Peach's down-B is broken because she can draw Bob-bombs. But it's clearly not broken, and this is because the frequency with which she draws Bob-bombs is sufficiently small.

In the same way, you have to consider frequency for stages before you decide something has too negative an impact.

Also, lava into rest does not seem like a small impact. Read KK's post. I've done a 300% damage combo just because I hit someone into the lava once (and then followed up). Also not a small impact.

To rephrase this: Because I was hit someone off stage and the lava happened to be up, I got a free 300% combo.
Being hit off stage while the lava happens to be up is a part of the mechanic. If you notice the lava is up, you should avoid being hit off the stage. You call it bad luck, I call it bad foresight.

But because you said so, this does not qualify as having greater impact than peach pulling a turnip.
Yeah, after all of my walls of text, I clearly want the discussion to fall upon word of God. I couldn't possibly just elaborate on this issue when you explain that you disagree.

I don't think even Magus420 gives enough of a **** to find the probabilities of Brinstar's acid or Mute City's cars, Kal, and that's saying something.
I didn't mean that he had to give me explicit probabilities. I was just explaining that, without anything concrete, the debate becomes much more subjective and less concrete, to the point where it's not always possible to (logically) jump to the conclusion that Brinstar surpasses the turnip threshold. I don't expect anyone to calculate exact probabilities.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think we should leave it to a vote. Not between MBR either but the melee community. Someone make a poll and let people decide if they want BO3 or BO5.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I think people are looking at this Brinstar thing the wrong way. There is a huge warning sign before the LAVA comes in that you can see the stage starting to go on fire, and therefore it's easy enough to avoid getting hit. If you're getting hit into the lava by your opponent, then that is the opponent using the stage better than you are and it shouldn't be blame on randomness.

It really isn't so much different than utilizing the moving platforms on FOD better than your opponent. It just happens to be much more noticeable.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Ok. So in the Kage vs Me situation, it was specifically caused because I spawned on top of Kage as Falco while the lava was completely up. Being Ganon, he had no ability to avoid me. It is his fault that the stage was all the way up while I was coming back, and his fault for going to the only available safe spot save for blindly ledgegrabbing for invincibility.

This is something that he should have accounted for and countered.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I think we should leave it to a vote. Not between MBR either but the melee community. Someone make a poll and let people decide if they want BO3 or BO5.
lol the most lopsided poll in history

Everyone and their mother wants bo5s. Its just a matter of TOs actually doing it, and us nagging enough to make it happen. Once it becomes standard (and its becoming moreso; bo5s at Genesis was a breakthrough), then we'll never go back to bo3s ever again. Flowers will bloom, angels will cry, and a new golden age of Melee will begin. :)

Niko45

Smash Master
Eh...not all matchups are super fast dude. A samus vs peach bo5 could easily take a half hour. A samus vs anything bo5 is probably going to take 20 minutes at least.

Some thoughts:

Strong Bad bodied the thread.

People are REALLY exaggerating how good spacies are on PS. Lots of characters are also good there and in other matchups might consider it their best stage.

Randall is ****ing gay. It definitely effects outcomes with luck and it can come in a variety of ways and more often than a lot of people seem to think. That said I dont think it's less neutral than pokestadium.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Eh...not all matchups are super fast dude. A samus vs peach bo5 could easily take a half hour. A samus vs anything bo5 is probably going to take 20 minutes at least.
A 20 min bo5 would be a 12 min bo3. A 30 min bo5 would be an 18 min bo3. Those are absolute worst case scenarios, and the differential isn't that bad.

Kal

Smash Champion
Ok. So in the Kage vs Me situation, it was specifically caused because I spawned on top of Kage as Falco while the lava was completely up. Being Ganon, he had no ability to avoid me. It is his fault that the stage was all the way up while I was coming back, and his fault for going to the only available safe spot save for blindly ledgegrabbing for invincibility.

This is something that he should have accounted for and countered.
It doesn't always have to be something you can account for. The particular example you provided happens (or "should" happen) so infrequently that the Turnip Threshold is not surpassed, in the same way you would not complain that, while recovering, Peach happened to pull a stitch-face or Bob-bomb. You can't account for it, and that is bad, but the frequency with which it happens is important.

This makes the expected value very difficult to calculate for more complex scenarios.

You will notice, however, that the Turnip Threshold provides for a ban on items: the exploding capsules and crates alone have a very large, very frequent impact.

not killing you at that time :troll:
While I know you're just kidding, there's nothing inherently wrong with taking this sort of thing into consideration. If it turns out such considerations actually can help win the match (though it's Ganon, so in this particular situation I highly doubt it), then that suggests that players should do so.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's ****ing stupid that in that situation, it is disadvantageous for Ganondorf to take an opportunity to kill his opponent because of the stage.
and yes I am arbitrarily stating this, subjectively, and I don't think many people will disagree with me either.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
but..that implies that the entire melee community knows what they're talking about. why leave this into the hands of what could most likely be a **** ton of scrubs

Top Bottom