• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

terrain effects

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i have not personally tested this... but other people have, it was concluded that terrain does not affect the color of you pikmin when you pikmin pluck

keeper

Smash Champion
I've tested it on Smashville, Battlefield, and Yoshi's Island. There have also been tests on Final Destination.

They have concluded (thus far) that the percent of plucking is:
23.3% for red, yellow, and blue.
15% for white and purple.

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
Has anyone ever tried to test time (in seconds) as a possible factor for which Pikmin you pluck? If it is, then it may be possible to selectively pluck Pikmin. Just a guess though.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has anyone ever tried to test time (in seconds) as a possible factor for which Pikmin you pluck? If it is, then it may be possible to selectively pluck Pikmin. Just a guess though.
nah, that's not it. It's random. you'd begin to see patterns in the pikmen you pluck if that were true.

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
nah, that's not it. It's random. you'd begin to see patterns in the pikmen you pluck if that were true.
Well, in actuality, computers are unable to be random, they always arrive at numbers through some algorithm or something, and so there will always be a pattern in which Pikmin are plucked. The pattern is probably spread across each set of Pikmin plucked to some very large number.

Maybe the conditions for which Pikmin is plucked is something that's based on terrain + opponnent + current time + sound card noise + random seed generator + some other complex factors. If I get a Wii and this game, this would be something I would look into...

Of course, though, if the pattern is in fact that ridiculously complex, then there's no way this would be applicable. I'm just curious.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Well, in actuality, computers are unable to be random, they always arrive at numbers through some algorithm or something, and so there will always be a pattern in which Pikmin are plucked. The pattern is probably spread across each set of Pikmin plucked to some very large number.

Maybe the conditions for which Pikmin is plucked is something that's based on terrain + opponnent + current time + sound card noise + random seed generator + some other complex factors. If I get a Wii and this game, this would be something I would look into...

Of course, though, if the pattern is in fact that ridiculously complex, then there's no way this would be applicable. I'm just curious.
stop getting super technical, what he meant by "completely random" is that the pluck type isn't affected by actual game factors (terrain, location, opponent, stage, etc) but instead by non-game factors (in-game clock, combined length of all names in the system, etc)

i'm not saying whether this is true or not (i really have no idea and don't care enough to research :( ) but "random" in the context of a game doesn't mean truly random (few things are, i think like lava lamps are the closest or something), but just to the extent where the player has no legitimate control on the outcome

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
I've tested it on Smashville, Battlefield, and Yoshi's Island. There have also been tests on Final Destination.

They have concluded (thus far) that the percent of plucking is:
23.3% for red, yellow, and blue.
15% for white and purple.
So the stage in which you pluck your pikmin does affect what kind of pikmin you get?

Offtopic- keeper, your daft punk siggy is awesome :laugh:

keeper

Smash Champion
So the stage in which you pluck your pikmin does affect what kind of pikmin you get?

Offtopic- keeper, your daft punk siggy is awesome :laugh:
So far no, the picking rate has been the same.

Thanks, one of my friends made it quite awhile ago.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Only in extreme stage cases have we found there to be any difference. By extreme I mean the only consistent skewed ratios compared to those Keeper gave happened on the Ice Climber stage, favoring Blue pikmin. It is also believed certain terrain types IN SINGLE PLAYER SUBSPACE EMISSARY ONLY gave certain pikmin types, nothing applicable in competative play. It is nearly certain all standard neutral stages show the same percentage chance of plucking pikmin as has been observed. Not all you read is true Juanda, and actually I believe these percents themselves are listed in Echo's guide, or near the same percents. Unless any real (250+ recorded plucks) is presented otherwise and then later recreated it is accepted that 23.3% and 15% values for pluck chance apply on all stages that will be played seriously.

-True

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
what he meant by "completely random" is that the pluck type isn't affected by actual game factors (terrain, location, opponent, stage, etc) but instead by non-game factors (in-game clock, combined length of all names in the system, etc)
exactly what i meant. I don't think players can predict when to pluck to get certain pikmen.

Top Bottom