• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tether recovery fail

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that if you hang onto the edge, drop off, fastfall, jump, press up+b, then repeat this two more times without getting back onto the stage, the third time you press up+b, the pikmin don't latch on. :confused: Anyway to avoid this or is this some sort of fail-safe to prevent you from doing this forever (without having to get back onstage)?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
interesting. why's it matter though? just wondering.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure that's a standard feature of the game. no one can just repeatedly grab the ledge more than 3 times without touching the ground. try it with any character.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
it happens w/ all tethers. it doesn't happen just grabbin the edge though.

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
interesting. why's it matter though? just wondering.
Just for the sake of getting onstage without getting hit. I'd like to be able to repeatedly fake the opponent out if they've got good edgehogging ability and be able to punish them if they miss.

I'm pretty sure that's a standard feature of the game. no one can just repeatedly grab the ledge more than 3 times without touching the ground. try it with any character.
Oh ok... wish there was a way around that, but meh.

[edit]Eh? Works fine with Marth.

it happens w/ all tethers. it doesn't happen just grabbin the edge though.
What other times does it happen?

Vayseth

Smash Master
Try it with Ike's up B. You can only drop down and do the up B like 5 times before you can't any more, from what I've seen.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Search is a wonderful thing...
Last time it came up no one was able to find any way of resetting the counter apart from landing on stage if even for only a frame. However as mentioned you are able to grab the ledge repeatedly seemingly forever, if two additional tethers and infinite re-grabs are not enough for you to safely get on the stage, you've got issues. Anything beyond three tethers is no longer a mind game nor would it be effective, it is strictly stalling/annoying.

-True

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Search is a wonderful thing...
Last time it came up no one was able to find any way of resetting the counter apart from landing on stage if even for only a frame. However as mentioned you are able to grab the ledge repeatedly seemingly forever, if two additional tethers and infinite re-grabs are not enough for you to safely get on the stage, you've got issues. Anything beyond three tethers is no longer a mind game nor would it be effective, it is strictly stalling/annoying.

-True
true dat...true :D

Top Bottom