• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetris: the Stage

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
This is an idea I'm surprised no one else has had. The stage would be perfectly flat, and be very narrow, but have an immensely high ceiling. Up in the top right corner would be the "next piece" bubble displaying the next tetris piece that is about to fall. The various pieces would fall from the top of the stage and create new terrain when they landed, however, they would damage players when in the air, and would have to be dodged. The alternative is that the tetris pieces do not do damage, but are extremely lightweight, and while in the air, can be knocked around by players so that they land in certain positions, giving the players some strategic control over the stage. Whenever the pieces form a straight horizantal line, the stage drops one level, just like in real Tetris. Tetris may have moved on to mobile phones and (I might be wrong), the Xbox Live Arcade, but it was originally a Nintendo property. This stage would be very similar to Pictochat. Thoughts?

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
A problem I see with the concept is that players could get trapped depending on how the blocks fall.

Orbinas

Smash Rookie
A problem I see with the concept is that players could get trapped depending on how the blocks fall.
A solution for this would be that the blocks could break if you hit them enough. Note the enough, so the fact that you can move around the blocks will still work. That's the only solution I could see.

D

Deleted member

Excellent idea!*Gives Leprachaunlink727 a cookie*

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
Brawl includes the Havok physics engine, meaning it wouldnt be hard to make the blocks bounce off or just lean against a character (being highly lightweight in this case).

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I suppose that the blocks could be broken, but getting your opponent trapped might be a cool strategic measure. It would kinda leave them at your mercy.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Wow this stage sounds awesome already, heh. Could be reasonably likely too since we know now we may get stages without a character having to be linked (i.e. Possibly PictoChat), or for all we know, even though her stick is an item, we may get Lip and it'd fit anyway. :)

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I don't think it would be annoying, as long as it was done right. It definently wouldn't be a competetive stage, but it would be fun to play on. And all that wikipedia article did was confuse me, would Nintendo have the correct "rights" to Tetris in order to use it in Smash?

Faustus

Smash Apprentice
Corneria, fourth panet of the Lylat System
Brawl includes the Havok physics engine, meaning it wouldnt be hard to make the blocks bounce off or just lean against a character (being highly lightweight in this case).
unfortunately, thats up for debate. There is no direct confirmation from sakurai himself, as far as I know, and until he states otherwise, whether on DOJO (which i doubt) or a conference (more likely) then it's just the brawl physics engine.

Iris

Smash Ace
I'd like to see a Tetris stage more like Poke Floats. There's no solid ground and you have to keep switching onto another piece. Unless there was a straight pattern that can't be interrupted ever, I can't imagine the map working out in the way you suggested.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Breakable blocks would be good. I also think that it should play tetris and not just drop blocks. Like it actually strategies and such and the blocks move around as they fall to get placed better. It would make it a very interested stage.

But instead of dodging them, I think they should do no damage at unless you get squished between them, in which case it knocks you out of them and up into the air, stunned for a few seconds, and does some damage.

No chance in tournies but it would definitely be a fun stage for casual playing.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Why would it be banned? I could see it'd be for stalling, but why ban for being able to stall? That's one of the points of mindgaming.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
instead of breakable, how about kickable/moveable.
if you are trapped, all you would have to do is do a smash on them, and they would move out of the way (if you are boxed in, can always do Uair on the ceiling of your "cage"
their path would be mapped like they were going to move like a player would, but instead move to each point on the grid 'clicking' into place as they move. extra lines would wipe, and as the game grows you are closer to the top.
the pieces spawn at the 75% mark on the stage, and if the computer gets game over, the whole area is stacked upto 75% for about 10 secs, then the stage starts again (like a new game).
the background could look like the old tetris, but the borders would be cosmetic, not solid (so you can still fall of the edge.

or something like that.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
No, this is an idea that almost EVERYONE else has had. I've seen it countless times before plastered all over the internet. It's good in theory but would make for annoying gameplay...
I beg to differ:

NEW IDEA

The Tetris stage would essentially work as Fountain off dreams. Three tetris platforms and all of them fall and rise randomly (or just the outer two could, doesn't matter).

This would also make it available for tournament play which is a plus.

Yeah, so it's a compromise, we all get a Tetris level with sweet chip music, and we can still play it competitvely. Everybody happy? Good.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
No, that...would be lame. It'd be like one thing rises from beneath, then lwers and disapears, then another one rises. It makes no sense.

Kirby_M@ster

Smash Ace
I beg to differ:

NEW IDEA

The Tetris stage would essentially work as Fountain off dreams. Three tetris platforms and all of them fall and rise randomly (or just the outer two could, doesn't matter).

This would also make it available for tournament play which is a plus.

Yeah, so it's a compromise, we all get a Tetris level with sweet chip music, and we can still play it competitvely. Everybody happy? Good.
That's not 'begging to differ', that's coming up with another idea to try and suit to more tastes. In other words, you must have agreed with what I said at least a little bit.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
That's not 'begging to differ', that's coming up with another idea to try and suit to more tastes. In other words, you must have agreed with what I said at least a little bit.
Well yeah, that's why I suggested this. I just beg to differ because I did disagree with your generalization of tetris level ideas, saying that they would make for annoying gameplay.

So yes, I'm 'begging to differ'.

Top Bottom