• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Melee Power Rankings and Tournament Listings

baka4moé

Smash Champion
with my limited knowledge of the texas scene, i made this list for fun in like 5 minutes:
1. mojo
2. kal
3. sethlon
4. broly
5. tirno
6. mt
7. reqy
8. tsc
9. glibbyglobby
10. sybawave

dunno whether darkrain or xelic should be in there cuz theyre kinda inactive from what ive seen, but id put darkrain at 1 and xelic under mojo if so. same issue with inactivity for sos. jake if he was included id put under tirno or mt. top 10 or at most 15 seems good, 20 is too much imo.

hope u guys make one eventually!...

Kal

Smash Champion
Based on results, I would put Broly above me and Tirno above both of us.

Broly

Smash Lord
Based on results, I would put Broly above me and Tirno above both of us.
Agreed.

Mojo
Tirno
Broly
Kal
Sethlon
MT
JF
reqy
glibbyglobby
TSC

This where I have my list at. Vash needs one more tourny to have a placing.

MT_

Smash Ace
I can agree with Broly's list except for Reqy being placed above myself and changing GlibbyGlobby to Sybawave (sorry Kevin; it will probably change in a couple months with more results =D).

(If we were to put Jake13 in I would put him above Sethlon)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I say drop this idea. Its way too late for a PR. The point for one is for other regions to come out and show where they stand. However, entering a tourny, we all know the PR list in our minds.
This still serves its function. OK people are at the very least interested in Dallas tournaments, and if we do end up throwing the big regional that lots of people keep talking about, then it would be nice for outsiders to know.

Creating drama is one of the reasons that PRs are made. Inspires lower level players to works their way up through the ranks, etcetc. Obv bad drama comes along with it.

It seems kinda silly to me to use the Elo system and make a PR based off that with a panel though. Either SSBPD's system is sound and the results are accurate (and we just use that), or its system isn't sound and results are inaccurate (and we don't use it at all). If you guys want to do a panel either way though, I suppose I'd be up for being on it.

I <3 jake, but leaving him out of the list defeats the purpose.

Kal

Smash Champion
Either SSBPD's system is sound and the results are accurate (and we just use that), or its system isn't sound and results are inaccurate (and we don't use it at all).
The issue with Elo is that, while it's sound in theory, it has the underlying assumption that, as the number of tournaments approaches infinity, the Elo score of a player will approach his actual score. Using the SSBPD's system alone is fine, but you won't be able to deduce how accurate the rankings are from the numbers alone. This is why I see no problem with using a panel to determine the power rankings, but similarly having the Elo around as an additional tool.

I also think that, if Jake doesn't want to be on the panel, that's fine, but he doesn't get a choice as far as being ranked. Once you enter a tournament, you're on the PR, whether you like it or not. It's kind of stupid to have a PR where players can choose whether to place on it.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Agreed.

Mojo
Tirno
Broly
Kal
Sethlon
MT
JF
reqy
glibbyglobby
TSC

This where I have my list at. Vash needs one more tourny to have a placing.
This is a pretty good list, but I don't see the point in leaving Jake13 out just because he wants to be left out.

AustinRC asked to be taken off the list but that's because he's not active anymore and he doesn't really plan on coming to a whole bunch of tournaments. We left Xelic off the list because, again, he hasn't been active for like half a year.

I think if we included Jake13 (and I think we should include Jake13), I'd put him as #4 (above kal), 5 (above sethlon), or 6 (above MT). He's somewhere in that 4-6 region, imo, and I'm inclined right now to err on the side of #4 or #5. I'd have to look at the body of tournament results again, but that's what my "eyeball test" tells me.

I'd also interchange reqy and MT.

Other than that, really solid list. After seeing your list here I'm pretty confident that you'd be a solid PR panel member.

I think the added benefit of having a power rankings list/discussion like this is that we can always go to this list for seeding purposes in the future.

Like you said Broly, everyone kind of has a power rankings list in his or her mind already, and we kind of use it every tournament to seed people. We've been to enough tournaments to know that putting Mojo, Tirno, and you right next to each other in the bracket is "probably" not a good idea. We're engaging in panel power ranking-type discussions/methodologies at every tournament anyways.

The nice thing about having a power ranking list is that we're basically having that inevitable discussion well beforehand and with more thought/debate, and we can easily point to the list and say "here's what we discussed/debated, so we'll seed the top 10 people based on our current power rankings." I think the power rankings are useful in that sense. It's basically an extension of the inevitable "seeding" discussions we have before every tournament.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think top three is established, by tournament results, as

1) Mojo
2) Tirno
3) Broly

which has the potential to change with MT showing some serious chops at this most recent tournament and, I hope, my own abilities improving. Fourth and fifth are clearly me and Jake, and I think an argument can be made either way. Obviously, I would rank myself above Jake, but I wouldn't be surprised (read: I would throw a giant ***** fit) if a panel put Jake above me.

4) Kal
5) Jake

I think MT has shown himself to be sixth best (which I bet will change with more events involving MT taking everyone to school), though whether Sethlon is as good as him remains to be seen (this previous second place placing is only a single occurrence), so I would place MT above Sethlon.

6) MT
7) Sethlon

Eight through ten are difficult, as I have JF, Reqy, Von, GlibbyGlobby and TSC to choose from. I suppose, based on placings alone, Reqy would take the lead here, though JF did outplace him at Kawaii Love Combos. One tournament doesn't mean the be-all and end-all, but the way JF won (by choosing a character Reqy was incapable of beating) suggests that JF will outplace him in the future as well. So my quick, mediocre analysis makes me think it would end:

8) JF
9) Reqy
10) Von
11) TSC
12) GlibbyGlobby

I haven't looked at results in any depth, but this is pretty much where I place everybody.

tl;dr I am obviously the best. **** Mojo, Tirno, and Broly, especially all three of them.

Jake13

Smash Lord
I don't want to be ranked. period.

if it takes me not going to tournies for this to happen I srsly will not show up

bc me being ranked is going to make me point out stupid **** like I have a winning record over everyone on that list except oscar and mt

SMD

i <3 all of you but don't rank me plzzzzzz

Kal

Smash Champion
Jake pointing out stupid ****? That's terrible. Next thing you know, people will become informed. Think for themselves! They'll have to give it some sort of clever name! "Freedom of Thought" is too pretentious. How about "Jake-Think?" Like "group-think."

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
To be frank, having a winning record isn't the end-all argument for being a better player right now. There are already examples of this in the PR that you yourself probably agree with. For example, Kal's record vs me is probably like 9001-2 but people still put me above him.

Kal

Smash Champion
^^^^^

false

In retrospect, I like this whole "winning record" thing. I'm 9001-2 against Edgar, 2-2 against Broly, and 3-1 against Mojo.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
bc me being ranked is going to make me point out stupid **** like I have a winning record over everyone on that list except oscar and mt
That doesn't sound like "stupid ****" at all. That sounds like useful and important information to consider for a panel ranking discussion.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Dear loyal subjects,

By the power vested in me as President of the Smash Club of the University of Texas at Austin, the capital of Texas, I hereby claim authority over this Power Ranking and its panel. I will henceforth settle all disputes.

Your benevolent leader,
Tirno

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I think MT has shown himself to be sixth best (which I bet will change with more events involving MT taking everyone to school), though whether Sethlon is as good as him remains to be seen (this previous second place placing is only a single occurrence), so I would place MT above Sethlon.
We've actually been at three of the same tournaments; NMMRG, Fall of the Colossus, and Pivot Wavedash. I played (and beat him) at NMMRG and PW, but he outplaced me at Fall and PW. I'd likely put him above me b/c hes more consistent.

I'd probably put myself around 9th/10; Von and JF have a very good record against me.

@Jake; those are very good points, not stupid at all. But I can understand not liking PRs, I've been on/paneled for 3 different ones (counting this) and they're rarely pleasant lol. (IMO)

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, head to head, I'd say you're better. I am more concerned with who is the better player, i.e., who generally places higher in tournament.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Current panel: Sethlon, Kal, Tirno, Broly, MT

Maybe add Oscar in (if he wants to) to round out a panel of 6?

Kal

Smash Champion
I thought Tirno usurped the PR? He's just going to choose a panel for us anyway.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
if u want to look really specific at sets, i know the socal pr weighs loser's bracket over winners, and winners over pools. of course, this is if placings are really close, which seems to be the case for a lot of the players in the top 10. this is probably already implied, but who you beat and who u lose to is more important thatn tournament placings.

i think its pretty much impossible to have a 100% accurate list if everyone in keeps beating each other lol, so i dont think ppl should care too much about where you place in each "tier" of 3-4 ppl. also i think top 10 is sufficient here, and if u want honorable mentions have 1 or 2. idk i think jake should be ranked as well, and if you dont like the final ranking, just get better (more consistent?). thats the point of prs anyway. to be specific, im lower than a couple of people as well, despite having winning records against them...

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I'm of the opinion that a having a panel is backwards. With incoming players going through the ranks, a panel may feel reluctant to increase a player's ranking if he/she may bring about an upset that we would want to see repeated in order to take that course of action. Whereas in the elo thing, it doesn't give two ****s and it might overshoot their actual score. I find that to be interesting.

Like the thoraxe issue, for example. We all agree that his 14th place on the ssbpd rankings is a little iffy, so everybody below him who thinks he doesn't deserve that spot might be gunning down to beat him to get that placement. That's pretty lolz. It would create drama, which I think is what fosters competition.

of course, if people think like jake and refuse to attend tournaments due to 'improper' ranking, then this whole plan falls apart. it's also disrespectful to players who have been playing for x years that we let obvious faults of the elo system (which are only temporary if we consistently hold and attend tourneys) slide. all in all, i think it's a pretty bad stance to take, but it's pretty lulzy and ultimately it'll work out.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Fixed. When they figure out what their official tags are, we can retag them.

Yes we can make it for the entire Texas scene and it's great to here that more parts of Texas are getting active! Please check out the Player Database here: http://www.ssbpd.com/ where you can upload tio files. It's pretty simple, but let me know if you need any help with this :)

Here's a tl;dr of how rankings are calculated. You get points when you win and lose points when you lose. You will gain more points if the player you beat has a higher score. It does not take into account placings at tournaments, only head to head matches. This system is used in chess and baseball and some other video games. Read the wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

I see we have opposition to creating a PR, but you seem to be the first to begin articulating a reason. Besides creating drama (which I think most PRs do) why do you see it being detrimental to the community?

Alright Thanks :)
Yea we've been hoping for the scene to grow and it has from the looks of it.
Also do we just upload the brackets on the SSPD? and making an account does what?

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Dear loyal subjects,

By the power vested in me as President of the Smash Club of the University of Texas at Austin, the capital of Texas, I hereby claim authority over this Power Ranking and its panel. I will henceforth settle all disputes.

Your benevolent leader,
Tirno
Haha Tirno, PR is all yours.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I care! I just uploaded a bunch of RGV results into SSMPD and am just waiting for a lot of the players to be tagged as from Texas.

Btw I thought your account was originally "emilywaves" but then you changed it to "Pinkie Pie". Now you created a new account so you can be EW again? So confused. I also see you haven't listed your main yet. Better change that to ICs before you forget.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the panel's going to happen unless one person takes the reins and just picks a panel to get things started. I could go ahead and do this, seeing as how I already asserted my divine right to rule. :awesome:

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I'm ok with Tirno taking over as long as something get's done.
Here's an updated top 20 with South Texas included. Probably not totally accurate since none of us have played each other.

1. Darkrain - 1716
2. Mojo - 1511
3. Xelic - 1476
4. AustinRC - 1438
5. Majoras - 1438
6. Sethlon - 1437
7. Tirno - 1436
8. S.O.S. - 1433
9. Kal - 1427
10. Jake13 - 1403
10. Broly - 1392
11. MT - 1365
12. Fro (BV) - 1355
13. TSC - 1338
14. JF - 1336
15. Reqy - 1330
16. Thoraxe - 1323
17. Sybawave - 1297
18. UTDZac - 1283
19. GlibbyGlobby - 1279
20. Vash-RGV - 1278

Kal

Smash Champion
Tirno gives too much credit to Falco players. He forgets that they are playing a broken character and thus don't deserve as much credit.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
haha yeah, I missed my original account name, plus it's my tag and Pinkie Pie is really just my TO account and is super cute.

Tirno - I like how we all just kinda rolled over and let you have the PR :p. But seriously dude, it's all yours. I'll ask a mod to transfer the OP to you.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
i'm a florida player and i'm moving to dallas in august and i look forward to playing you all!

more info: i live with colbol (FL fox player) and i am easily top 20 in florida, and i am curious to know if i will make it into the top 20 here :D.

can't wait to make some great new friends in texas!

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
So how often will this get updated? I see it's not updated like Admiral!'s yet.

@ Rx- nice! Looking forward to meeting you at some point.

Oracle

Smash Master
i'm a florida player and i'm moving to dallas in august and i look forward to playing you all!

more info: i live with colbol (FL fox player) and i am easily top 20 in florida, and i am curious to know if i will make it into the top 20 here :D.

We're kind of bad as a region so you'll probably do fine lolol

Have the results from this weekend (dfw) been posted or put into the ranking yet?

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice

Welcome to Dallas Fort Worth (DFW)! Feel free to hit me or Sethlon up when you get here, and check out the DFW Melee thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=276326

It's cool to get a spacie player here. I was just reviewing results from DFW tourney yesterday and not a single freaking spacie...we're the land of low tiers :p

We're kind of bad as a region so you'll probably do fine lolol

Have the results from this weekend (dfw) been posted or put into the ranking yet?
Results have been uploaded and are pending approval. Also, maybe you should actually play/beat people throughout our region before talking **** about it.

Oracle

Smash Master
oh I meant dfw not the rest of texas my bad

with a couple obvious exceptions of course

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Last I heard Tirno has created a panel and they're waiting on Oscar to submit his view of the top ten. I have no idea when that will be up.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Rainbow Dash Dance results have been uploaded to ssbpd and are pending approval. Novice bracket results have been omitted.

Top Bottom