• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TFNS casuals/ranbats starting in January 2011 IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ!

Gichan

Smash Champion
TFNS (Toronto Fight Night Series) have held super/street fighter 4 casuals for a while now and they have been very successful. I have seen for myself what these casuals can do to level up a scene and help newcomers improve. In ssfiv, Canada is now nearing able to compete with USA if not possible already and I feel with our co-operation withe ach other and dedication it can be the same for the brawl scene.

melee's done it, ssfiv has done it, past games have done it, now it's time for us to be able to compete at high level. So this is how it goes down.

It's every Friday night at 5pm to roughly 12am for $5 entry. There are already three tvs permanently there so you don't gotta worry too much ons et-ups but we cna always bring more. Wiis will always be needed though.

And now for what I find to be the best idea to help us in a manner we can enjoy. A ranbats system. This is TO SF's secret weapon to success.

Ranbats work like this. It's a season pretty much where initially you do a buy-in of $20. We have 8-10 mini tournaments of all entrees (the ones attending and such) every two to three weeks. At the end of the season it'll be paid out traditionally 60/30/10. These mini tournaments DO NOT affect PR. This is to level up

also points system is

1st 10 points
2md 7 points
3rd 5 points
4th 4 points

Amyways post your thoughts, i wanted to start this this month but i can see it cannot be the case. We are all extremely busy and TFNS is busy with their major ssfiv tourney on dec 18th. once again, post comments.

P.S. would melee be interested in this system to?

EDIT: TFNS is closed for the holidays and will be opening again on January 14th (casuals do not start on this day!)

Important Message: So it seems that the owner of the venue is going to have a meeting on the course of friday night casuals so they may or may not happen. Let's just hope it goes well because this will be a good opportunity for us.

The issue for Friday nights, or any night for that matter, is that while it use to obtain decent attendance it gradually decreased to the point of getting a measly 5 people, with himself included. It isn't fact but I think a big issue is to do with the opening of a new casual place called HQ for ssfiv in scarborough that has the best players.

but I really really want a place for casuals to happen if TFNS does not go through (and I don't find out until January 15th; melee tournament). I was considering the idea that HQ does. It is run by like 4 or 5 people who rent out a storage unit and have people come and pay $5 to from whatever times that the "keyholders" are present. For organizing purposes they do mon-sat 5:30pm-11pm or 12am. Yes, EVERYDAY there is a casual, it's crazy but awesome. I think we should consider this an option. Remember that it does not only have to be brawl. This is for smash bros, be it 64, melee, or brawl. Just a thought.

So I want to discuss further possibilities if we can't get TFNS for friday nights. The storage unit is another possibility but let's think of others to.

-Googs

Smash Lord
TFNS (Toronto Fight Night Series) have held super/street fighter 4 casuals for a while now and they have been very successful. I have seen for myself what these casuals can do to level up a scene and help newcomers improve. In ssfiv, Canada is now nearing able to compete with USA if not possible already and I feel with our co-operation withe ach other and dedication it can be the same for the brawl scene.

melee's done it, ssfiv has done it, past games have done it, now it's time for us to be able to compete at high level. So this is how it goes down.

It's every Friday night at 5pm to roughly 12am for $5 entry. There are already three tvs permanently there so you don't gotta worry too much ons et-ups but we cna always bring more. Wiis will always be needed though.

And now for what I find to be the best idea to help us in a manner we can enjoy. A ranbats system. This is TO SF's secret weapon to success.

Ranbats work like this. It's a season pretty much where initially you do a buy-in of $20. We have 8-10 mini tournaments of all entrees (the ones attending and such) every two to three weeks. At the end of the season it'll be paid out traditionally 60/30/10. but most importantly, NO MKS! These are going to be MK banned seasons and they also DO NOT affect PR. This is to level up, in casuals of course MKs can ****, but in ranbat matches we don't want MK/MK/MK getting 60/30/10.

Amyways post your thoughts, i wanted to start this this month but i can see it cannot be the case. We are all extremely busy and TFNS is busy with their major ssfiv tourney on dec 18th. once again, post comments.

P.S. would melee be interested in this system to?

No MK. This ain't Nova Scotia. If you want to prep the scene you need MK experience, You need to learn that match-up. This idea sounds awesome GI, but I would really consider allowing MK.

Gichan

Smash Champion
nothing is set in stone. we got a whole month to discuss this. Tin has already pointed out strong arguments to have MK included. I just hope i don't see people resorting to mk to counter an mk and then become an mk main.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I have to agree that an MK ban goes against the idea of getting better. We aren't going to get better if we don't know the matchup against a character nearly half of the NA scene plays.

I definitely am interested in this.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Eh. TBH, i don't think the MK matchup is what we're lacking in ontario tbch... If anything no MK forces us to be more familiar with some of the more obscure matchups. However, I DO agree that banning MK isn't the best idea in this case.

~XP~

Smash Apprentice
Lol, everyone needs to learn that Sonic match up so the incident of MLG Dallas doesn't happen again. I really need MK practice, so no MK ban please?

Cohen

Smash Apprentice
Lol, everyone needs to learn that Sonic match up so the incident of MLG Dallas doesn't happen again. I really need MK practice, so no MK ban please?
You could say the same thing about fox, as far as the "mlg incident" goes, I think you should give credit to Espy and X, They were amazing and won their sets on A LOT more than just people having little experience against sonic.

Sorry for the double post.

Gichan

Smash Champion
thanks looft.

It's $5 every friday. ssfiv will also be there to for those who've wanted a chance with the game. Neko, maybe you can set up a BB station to?

The $20 is a ONE TIME BUY IN for 8-10 mini tourneys. this is a season guys, so the price is worth it.

Ok, LOTS of people want MK in this shizz, so I guess MK WILL NOT be banned.

NekoNekoXD

Smash Cadet
thanks looft.

It's $5 every friday. ssfiv will also be there to for those who've wanted a chance with the game. Neko, maybe you can set up a BB station to?

The $20 is a ONE TIME BUY IN for 8-10 mini tourneys. this is a season guys, so the price is worth it.

Ok, LOTS of people want MK in this shizz, so I guess MK WILL NOT be banned.

I would def setup Blazblue. And also live stream the ranbats too.

Gichan

Smash Champion
$5 with tvs already there instesd of sreapding yourselves in different rooms. You don't have to clean up after oyurself (but you should out of common decency), you have different games available. Also, a venue much easier to get to then yorku. not to say Yorku casuals are bad but those rooms aren't even suppose to be used and it would take is a ponytail ******* DURING the semesters to bring that **** to the ground.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Melee community would probably be interested.
The melee community would be interested in brawl ranbats at TFNS eh?

$5 with tvs already there
TV are already there at York

Instead of spreading yourselves in different rooms.
I agree, I think being in the same room is better.

You don't have to clean up after yourself (but you should out of common decency)
You don't have to clean up after yourself at York either.

You have different games available.
Also possible at York, although, isn't this meant to be brawl ran bats, therefore making this point lose its purpose.

Also, a venue much easier to get to then yorku.
Depends on who you are.

Not to say York u casuals are bad but those rooms aren't even suppose to be used and allit would take is a ponytail ******* DURING the semesters to bring that **** to the ground.
And that happened today. lol.

The Pro's of the TFNS Casuals are:

• The Ranbat season which could be organized at York but ultimately works better at TFNS.
  • The vanue is more reliable. There is no risk of getting kicked out.
  • It has potential to gain more TVs and support more players than York U.
  • The single room is better than individual roomes. Promotes togetherness.

York U is just Free

Gichan

Smash Champion
that's what I'm waiting for to. But I'd also have to discuss it with vaughan and dice. So far theya re fine with brawl members.

Dimmy

Smash Journeyman
Sorry York U is not free, parking costs an assload amount of money. more than $5 i'm pretty sure.

Gichan

Smash Champion
just a small update, stated at the bottom of the OP, that TFNS is closed for the holidays and will re-open on Jan 14th. So we'll be starting on Jan 14th.

Zetsubou

Smash Cadet
This sounds soooo sick but more of a reason to get meself a job xD
ya I'm a shy/lazy bum ^-^

Gichan

Smash Champion
so an update has been made please discuss. Will also post in gtan general thread.

Important Message: So it seems that the owner of the venue is going to have a meeting on the course of friday night casuals so they may or may not happen. Let's just hope it goes well because this will be a good opportunity for us.

The issue for Friday nights, or any night for that matter, is that while it use to obtain decent attendance it gradually decreased to the point of getting a measly 5 people, with himself included. It isn't fact but I think a big issue is to do with the opening of a new casual place called HQ for ssfiv in scarborough that has the best players.

but I really really want a place for casuals to happen if TFNS does not go through (and I don't find out until January 15th; melee tournament). I was considering the idea that HQ does. It is run by like 4 or 5 people who rent out a storage unit and have people come and pay $5 to from whatever times that the "keyholders" are present. For organizing purposes they do mon-sat 5:30pm-11pm or 12am. Yes, EVERYDAY there is a casual, it's crazy but awesome. I think we should consider this an option. Remember that it does not only have to be brawl. This is for smash bros, be it 64, melee, or brawl. Just a thought.

So I want to discuss further possibilities if we can't get TFNS for friday nights. The storage unit is another possibility but let's think of others to.

HrcPoke

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. $5 everyday.. $30 a week for playing games for hours on end. Sounds good, But TFNS might be larger, though.. $5 a week for 1 day, but more people may be able to attend.
Most people can't do $30 a week, 52 weeks a year.. $30 · $52 = $1560 a year(If you manage to attend everyday, somehow >.> )
Or $5 for 1 day a week + The $20 fee for 8-10 Mini-tournaments.
$5 · 52 = $260 + $20 = $280 a year.

Though, the Casuals everyday, and if you Miss a few, it's not a big deal.
So you could do, 1-6 a week, $5-$30 + Food costs.

Though.. Tournaments at the Unit would be even more money?

Pros for TFNS:
· Less money, more players possibly, scene grows.
· 8-10 Mini-Tourneys.
· 'Real' Tourneys(I don't know why if we have mini ones XD )
· Opens at 10am, large area, less cramping.
· Tv's already supplied.
If there's more, tell meh!

Cons for TFNS:
· Casuals may not be possible. =/
· If casuals DO happen, we get 1 week, attendence MAY be low.

Pros for The Unit:
· More casuals. More people will be able to attend due to different dates.
· More casuals!
· Higher chance of it being possible.
There may be more Pros..

Cons for The Unit! ;
· More money(If you attend alot).
· Tvs need to be brought.
· Transportation costs.
· Run by 4-5 people.
· Possible cramping.
· Does it have tables?(If no, we'll play on the floor.. T^T )
· Transportation costs.
· Must find storage Unit.
1: We could have casuals at The Unit as opposed to TFNS( Just incase we don't get them there) and host just the tourneys at TFNS. Which was Possibly the Point you are getting at. A major issue would be transportation costs(Low attendence), though, it'd be better for Casuals at The Unit, while Tourneys stay at TFNS. Transportation is still an issue/ bad weather/ Family/ Social life issues/ Car accidents../ Muggings.. (So many attendence issues XD )

· Casuals at The Unit. ONLY IF TFNS DOESN'T WORK OUT.
· Tourneys at TFNS. =3
Low money costs, plus you win money for placing in the Top 5 :3

Whatever the case is, I'm attending every Tourney I possible can, along with casuals.

Lalalalalala.. @u@ Soooo much typing.. I took a washroom break halfway through typing this.. @u@;

Money money money money money...
My thumb hurts from typing on Wii Net. It may break.. I think. That'd be bad.
Casuals casuals casuals. Why must they be a pain in the buttocks? *Yawns*

Ok, so these are my thoughts on this idea, thanks for reading.

You get nothing in return.

Top Bottom