• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TG% Results and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
my experience at tg5

1st of all i would like to give thanx to Matt for hosting another bad *** tg and all the staff members that made it possible. I got to say that it was well planned out this time and there was plenty of room for everyone to move around. Too bad there were thieves though, which made the tourny run a lil slower, but with higher security next time i hope this wont happen(looks at vien >= ]) It was great that matt made it a 2 day event because players could play at their full potential not fall asleep or anything.

I also met a lot of skilled players at tg5. i think this tournament was a skilled players tourny not many scrubs.Everyone was good.There were some ppl who got alot better at last tg and some who didnt but hopefully they will train for next tg.I would like to make a lil comment for some ppl:

Eddie- you can now prove to game faqs//smashboards that ganon>Marth... MOVE GANON TO TOP TIER ALREADY!

Mr Silver- man Ur zelda is actually pretty good i hope u learn a few things playing me

Lumbro- Florida eh..??
(Lumbros partner [sorry i forgot ur name])- Fun to talk about Marth strategy's with you hope u learned a few things about marth.

Matt- I hope playing against me before the 1v1 tourny warmed you up. sorry i was a lil tired at the moment but i gave it my last once of strength to play ya. Man crazy *** shine into a lazer
:p hahaha

Jeremey- heh Thanx for the interview, i think i got nervous >_<

Sam- Sam dude ur a really cool guy with a badass falco

Adam- man ur buff =/ crazy green hair eh?

Dave- thanx for talking to me man, ill try to make a video for you some day (HOW TO PLAY MARTH FOR DUMMIES) hehe..

The Doug- oh man i almost lost to you heh... ur a really smart player man... OH THE btw i didnt go marth vs marth against you because you took my color, RED MARTH! = /

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TO the Socal Crew~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gus Pedro Brandon- THANX FOR THE SUPPORT! call me up when u want to smash >=D

Boy Vien Rob- were where u guys, we barely talked = /

Isai- MONOPOLY! Come down soon! we gotta play more monopoly before snl!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~TO THE VALLEJO CREW~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrew- when you come down to socal dont forget to call me up man i wanna hang out!

John John- dude ur so cool, linxamus owns all!

James- come over and smash! try to bring justin too

Justin- sux that u got crutches, yea hope u enjoyed the pizza my sis sold ya

Jr- cmon man dont be scared join singles you will kick ***

The the rest of vallejo crew - thanx for all ur support you really made this tg worth wild.
~~~~~~~~~~To The East Coast~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Azen- man ur really quiet, it seemed to my you let anden do the talking for ya. i would really want to get to know ya, we havent played 1v1 but i still think ur the best ^_^

Andon- Man you only lost to me because of weapons too bad u didnt use jiggly vs me = (.. still gotta rematch me without weapons yea??Sorry i had to leave right after the tourny . i still think ur a great smasher

WEs- Man you got the greatest Samus ever. Crazy **** man.Dont worry you can cuss at me all u want when playing against me, ill just tell myself that its game talk and ur a cool guy!! hope to play you again at Snl

Hein and Mike G- wow some crazy peaches. sorry i didnt get to talk to you guys much i will at SNL iLL MAKE SURE OF IT!!

I had alot of fun at tg5 and to the rest of the ppl keep smashin it up!

FOR SURE I WILL LIKE TO BUY A TG5 Dvd it will be worth it!Oh yea MATT that trophy kicks ***, thanx alot.. belts and a trophy what more can i ask for? anyhow this TG5 was the greatest tourny experience i had yet..

SultanOfSamitude

Smash Journeyman
eddie you've got a crappy job. But it shows!

anyway sastopher's post reminded me to publically apologize to washington in general: sorry i had to eliminate your guys' best, dudes. I mean, against washington in the tourney none of you took a match off me. Sorry bout that. And rori, never ever pick Flatzone against falco. The only reason i didn't use the reflector to reflector to reflector combo (it kills you at 0%) was cause i wanted to give you a chance. Seriously, don't even play a weakass falco there cause it's by far the worst place to play against falco in the game.

noirblood

Smash Cadet
o jesus

I don't have much business here cuz I didn't go to TG, and BBT I don't know who u are, but u are being really anal trying to argue the difference between "skill" and "talent". Jesus. Whatanass.

skill ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skl)
n.
Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience.

tal·ent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tlnt)
n.
A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment.

Who the **** cares what word you use. If you wanna talk about whats important in the end, sure winning the tournament is #1. But when you talk about skill or how good people are, you can't make a judgment based on the results of 5 matches (or 10 for that matter). Especially 3-stock matches. With items on.

Some characters are easier to use than others. It takes less "skill" to win as Sheik or Peach or Marth than it does with Captain Falcon. I have never seen any of these people play (except wes and the rest of the DA crew), but I can definitely understand how someone could appear more skilled or talented if they used Cap. Falcon instead of Marth or Sheik. ****, I almost beat Wes when he was Link and I was Sheik (1-stock left twice in 5-stock matches) but in skill levels I am nowhere near him.

Winning is just a one-time result, skill is something a lot bigger and much harder to define (especially by a single day of playing), and talent, by definition, is probably impossible to tell until people have maxed out their experience and training...

-Owen

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
argh i just wrote this long *** thread and there was an error! ok.... ill just post later when im not so tired >= /

haha nm

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
Okay, Im at work, but now my time to post a bit about the players and stuff.

First off about the tournament. Personally, I think this tournament was one of the coolest experiences ever. I dont think people understand how cool the environment was. I was very very very worried about how out of staters, and Kens group were going to be treated, and all in all, everybody showed everybody resepct. It was truley a great thing. Ken's group and family were a pleasure to have there, as well as NYC, CC, and EC.

I think in essence it was an example of healthy competition. Obviously EC rooted for EC, and WC rooted for WC, and there was lots of oohs and ahhs and it got loud at times. However, at the end of basically every match, no matter who the winner was, they got some serious applause. Thumbs up to everyone.

For the comment on skill.

Technical ability is combos and crazy technical madness. not skill.

Mental ability is reading and out guessing your opponent.

Put these together, and its a winning combonation, which in essence is skill.

Wes and Isai, I think by far have much more technical ability than Azen and Jeremey. However, I think that Azen and Jeremey excell at the mental aspect of the game. All are great players.

Now for my comment on specific players.

Azen - I think Azen is a really really good player. However, I think his 26 character stuff is pure cr@p. Hes a sheik player, not a "I dont have a best character." He is also good with other characters as well, and I would say above average with all of them. However, above average doesnt take tournaments, and just above average doesnt give you lots of respect. When it came down to it, he picked sheik, and his sheik was d@mn good.

Personally I dont think saying you pick all characters gains you anything whatsoever. People respect people who win, not people who want to go out of their way to prove they are better. Ditto matches in my opinion mean very little about who is better. Its all about who can win, period. You proved you are a top player, not a 26 character player. I think if you accept this, you will gain a great deal of respect.

So yea, you have a best, you have sheik.

Wes- Wes has a crazy samus. If anything at all he deserves extreme respect for that effing grapple. He hits that thing on the smallest of stuff, and I only saw him miss a few times throughout the tournament. That is effing nuts. Good stuff dude, now lets see if you can post in complete sentences so we can all see what you thought of the tournament. heh heh.

Mike G - mad respect for your falco dude. You and mr alaska took out DP solidly. You outplayed me in the team tournament definately, so good stuff. Too bad we didnt get anyh 1v1 matches in.

Crystal City - I can solidy say every ounce of hate I had for you guys is pretty much gone. You are effing funny, and fun to have around. Caveman is by far the best doc I have ever witnessed. He was actually going to be my pick for furthest out of stater. Hope you can make it next time, with zulu.

eddie - You got mad pokemon skills yo. heh heh. Good stuff dude. You got me this time around, beat me solidly on fourside. For that alone=no johns for me, cause I certainly had the advantage first round. Now you just gotta work on the breakfast. Dougs a monster. heh heh.

Rori - I had 0 respect for you after IVGF. I have lots of respect for you now. Your pika is nuts, its definately made me rethink his worth as a character. Too bad you didn't make it further in the tournament, but you did beat wes in a betting match, which I failed to do. Good stuff.

those are the main people I wanted to say stuff to, Ive got 3 mins left before lunch ends at work. heh heh.

everyone who stayed at my house was h*lla cool, cept for one individual nobody caught. It was a pleasure hanging out with WA as usual, and with the rest of the people from the EC. Sorry if I forgot people, i dont have time. Ill probably do more in a few days.

also i think everyone should give some respect for the staff there. They did an outstanding job, and I dont think people understand how big of a sacrifice it is for a lot of them to be there. I personally couldn't do it without them, so it wouldn't exist without them. Many of them dont even play the game anymore, and only show to support me as a friend, and to work their arses off. so yea, thanks guys. Sorry I always put you through the h*ll that I do.

Yagi

Smash Ace
Big, huge thanks to Matt and his family for letting me and the other out of staters stay at their place. I am truly amazed how nice and accepting they are to the out of staters, especially when most are up at all hours playing games and making noise. Also Matt's friends deserve a lot of thanks, they work the entire weekend to make TG possible and I believe a lot of them don't even play anymore. Thanks a lot guys.

Next, I have to say that this was a great experience. Not only playing melee with people from different states, but just talking and hanging out with a lot of them was a blast. The TG aftermath with me and Cory playing until everyone woke up was fun. Same with hanging out with the Florida guys at the airport. I was sure glad I had you guys to talk with, it sure would have been boring there all by myself. Yeah, and what can I say $3 for a muffin and a banana ... yeah, right.... =)

So many people were good its hard to even begin. First off, Mad props to Ken and Isai, they had a good weekend getting first in teams and 1st and 3rd, respectively, in one on ones. They are one scary team... But Wes and Hein we almost as impressive, great teamwork and a tough team to kill, considering how long both can manage to survive (except for those 24 seconds...) :crazy: Wes your Samus was unbelievable at times and some of the things you've come up with are sweet. I hope I get to see you play again some time.

And Azen was very impressive, he was very good with all the characters, but I believe the only character he could have ever taken TG with would be his Sheik, though he did ditto a couple earlier matches which was very fun to watch. Also those unlimited stock, no time limit matches were fun, it would have been interested to see you in a itemless match.

And Chris deserves enormous props as well. The guy drove nearly 14 hours straight to get to TG and 14 more hours to get back... man I have no idea how you did it, you are truly the iron man of road trips.

And the Hold'em was priceless, we definitely gotta do that next time.

heinybabee

Smash Apprentice
Missing Items

Hey great tourney

But on another note. Im missing my camera, which is really important to me. Matt can you please check if i left my camera in your garage or anywhere. I would hope to think the worse that someone to it. Im assuming i just misplaced it. If its anywhere it'll most likely be in the garage. The camera has a lot of sentimental value to me, because i took pictures from the bus ride. If you find it can you please tell me asap so i can come pick it up?

SultanOfSamitude

Smash Journeyman
Guess it's about time i got this out of the way.

First of all i'd like to say WOW. I was definitely not expecting this much great competition. I feel like i had a good chance to get top three, and if we did the tourney again today i'd feel like i would have a great chance to get top four. Right now i feel like the only people that could beat me are the top three, ken jeremy and isai, and two of them did beat me.

I would also like to say i carried my brother in teams.. heh heh. I was getting five and six kills per match! It was sweet when someone was trying to edge guard me, dave would come in and dash attack him, and then he'd get spiked by my forward b. Good times.

With my cockiness out of the way, here goes the shoutouts.

Matt: as always, thanks a lot for doing all you do for this smash community. Without you, i wouldn't have gotten to know all these great people, yourself included. What you've done for us is amazing, all the sacrifices you've made.. letting everyone stay at your place even. Most people talk about doing a tourney but none can do it as well as you, my friend. And yes, you are my *****.

Ken: You're still the man. I really wanted jeremy to take it (triforce!) but somehow i knew you'd win. You are an amazing player, and i think right now you're better than ever. No hard feelings, friend. Good luck at SNL and bring back the prize to cali! (i like monopoly too)

Jeremy: Triforce in the top three!! Dude you know my style inside and out, i wish i could have made our set more exciting. Don't worry i've been thinking about how i can mix it up. By tg6 you'll go running back to sheik like you always do ^_~

Isai: lol dude when you hugged me after your Azen match i think you bruised my kidney. Good **** though, you could have taken it if you cared. We're gonna have tons of smashfests in awhile, i know i'll see you there man. That water is like your life force or something, the source of all your powers (I used to think it was the fro)

Boy: freakin yosh.. i wish you had beat matt, i wouldn't have felt as bad if i had to beat you =P i love watchin your yosh play, if you hadn't been there it wouldn't have been half as fun, hope you'll come up and smash with us sometime

Ralphy: Dude, that sleepover was great!! I thought i kind of felt a buzz off of those virgin margaritas. Its too bad Pretty was sick and you couldn't make it to TG5, but im sure me and matt would love to come to your next sleepover. Adam's a ****ing comic genious.

Vien: toast! fun time as always dude.. nice clipboard

Tony, Kent, Francis, Rob, Blake, rest of the staff: thanks a lot guys. We could have done it without you but it would have been a lot less funny. And harder. Hope you guys enter the tourney next time...

The toast(doug): Tied with me, pretty good. Beat eddie, even better. Can't believe you're ****ing moving dude, we're gonna have some serious smashfests before you go.

Vallejo: Justin truthfully i thought you were going to do terribly, i mean you didn't come to like the last eight biweeklies or something. But you proved you're still up with the best of us, by getting fifth. Higher than me, dude. Tell JR he's a ****ing ***** for not playing, but he's still cool. James you're always cool, if you practiced up i think you could get close to justin.

Yagi: it was cool chatting with you dude, you're a fun guy to be around. Hope you make it down to another one, maybe we'll drive up to a skypal one of these days. You have so many of them.

Azen is good. azen is a sheik player. I do not doubt this, because obviously in his mind he felt he had the best chance to win with sheik. he was a good sheik player, but he does not bring out the maximum potential like he said. I respect him as a player, could have made an effort to make friends dude^_^

Wes: Funny as ****, dude. you've got a really unique samus, and you'll get azen back, don't worry

Mike G: You do some stuff with falco i never even though of. Too bad i didn't get to play your peach, but you were a really cool guy. Hope to see you soon, dude.

Hein: Sweet stuff with peach, hope you get your camera back.

Jeff(balefireboy): as always it was cool hangin out, i thought you were gonna beat hein. effing super turnips. hope to see ya soon

Rori (rest of washington): Goodass pika, great stuff against wes. I'm sure you'll be able to do my stuff with falco soon, hopefully you'll stick to pika =) All you guys were cool as ****, John you did some crazy stuff. J-dawg its too bad you couldn't get your name back.

Eddie: ****ing sweetass ganon. makes me want to cry when i think about how i play with ganon. You beat Ken and Me in money matches, that speaks leagues about how good you are. You'll take a big one 1 of these days, dude.

Im sure i forgot someone, i'll add more later

The_Doug

Smash Ace
The_Doug is Toast?

The_Doug still doesn't understand all these references to TOAST and how The_Doug is affiliated with TOAST, but he can accept it as he ate some complimentary TOAST at Denny's the other night.

Lets break out the bad news first: I'm outta here early September and moving to Lytham in England where I will probably stay for at least a couple years. Chances aren't too high that I'll be as crazy as Mr. Silver to attend the next Tournament Go, but that is not set in stone.

If I happen to attend TG6, I will definitely call out anyone (minus Eddie, sorry bro you're too good) to "The Ganondorf Challenge."-Trademark of The_Doug-
Me and C-PUG team up once more to take on any courageous Ganondorf team willing to set foot into Hometown and Flatzone.

Two most satisfying moments:
1) Me and Zach defeating Azen and Anden in our pool team match. Maybe I happen to like Homerun Bats after all, heheh.
2) Finally, yes finally defeating Eddie in a set. I came into the tournament thinking Eddie was the one opponent I couldn't be because Ganondorf owns Marth horribly, and Ganon-Sheik throw combos are devastating. Better see at least one or two of these games on the DVD or the toast will be burned...

Two most disheartening moments:
1) Team Shell Shock not advancing in Pool #4 because of a tie breaker..? The harshest pool of all.
2) Suiciding at 0% in the third and final match against Ken. It just wasn't meant to be.

Thanks to Deezie and his staff for the best ran tournament in history. It will definitely be hard to top.

BalefireBoy

Smash Journeyman
Remember back in the TG% thread when I thought I had a shot at getting possibly top ten? Well that was a laugh and a half. There were simply too many awesome players there from all over the country. Just the sheer amounts of skill being displayed made it tough to watch any one match when there were at least 4 other crazy matches going on at the exact same time. Well, at least I was correct in predicting Ken's win. I forgot how good he was. Videos don't do justice. You kind of had to be there to see the first match in the 2v2 finals.

First off, Matt. Thank you and your parents so much for opening your house up once again to even more people this time. This tournie was a huge improvement over the last one, (not saying the last one was bad either). The 2 days, renting out a place really helped with effeciency and speed. Props to the staff for that, except Vein. No props for him. :p

Players that I was impressed with:

Wes's Samus. Unbelievable comebacks. I've never seen someone so hard to kill. He alone got me rethinking the tiers. Plus, he's a hilarious trash talker, even if he doesn't mean to be.

Eddie's Ganon. He beat Ken in a set. Nuff, said. Bring Eduardo next time so we can get some new 2v2 champs.

Boy's Yoshi. See, I thought I was pretty good with Yoshi before going down. I was wrong again. At least Boy only inspired me to get better with the dino.

Caveman's Doc. I also would say he might be the best out-of-stater at the tournie. Extremly solid. I liked it. As a matter of fact, the crystal city guys were the highlight of my trip. So funny and I will be saying "NOJOHNS" for the rest of my life. Plus they make people pass out. TRICKSIES.

Azen's most everyone. It's true he's pretty darn good with most characters. He beat my Peach with his. So yeah, I'm a believer.

Derrick's (Alaska Guy) Falco. How did he get so good up in Alaska!? Oh, yeah he said he watched videos with Sam playing, not something that Sam needs to hear. :rolleyes:

DA Peach's. Both Mike and Hein had pretty darn good Peach's. I played Hein quite a bit before and after the tournie. It's too bad he got the super veggie when it counted.

Of course, Matt, Jeremy, Sam, Adam, The Doug, Vallejo all had great showings and they're all great players. Note to everyone, don't take Fox to Peach's Castle as a counter-stage. BAD IDEA!

I have to say that WA made a pretty good showing. Jon and Rori in particular. Way to represent. Spreading the hate for Pika one state at a time. I know Wes appreciated the Ugly Rat.

Finally, both Isai and Ken deserved all the hype they had going into this thing. They delivered and they are downright scary to watch. Good job guys.

I had an awesome time but now I'm seriously considering reshaping the tiers. Changes need to be made. Maybe someone better start a new post-TG tier thread in the BR.

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
^_^

Actually I didn't talk any trash. I only said that I play all characters good and would like to ditto everyone. I didn't say that I would crush everyone though ^_~

The event was fun. I enjoyed mostly hanging out with the Crystal City smashers ^_^ They're LALOS! Hope to meet you guys sometime again =)

Ken: I didn't even get to play you once =( I wanted to ditto your Marth ^_~

I had a fun time playing many people in dittos. I LIKED Boy, Eddie, Stition, and Caveman's characters. They had much better character skill than I expected since I never see/play anyone who use those characters ^_^

Matt: Maybe you should see me play other characters. Apparantly you seen me mostly play Sheik which has obviously given you the illusion of me being a Sheik player.

Sam: It's tight that you fear me ^_^ So we're cool, but you should really try not to be cocky in real life. That's definitely not cool, just saying =P

I got to play more DA again ^_^ You almost got your ditto revenge Hein, your Peach has definitely improved though =P And I finally beat Wes in a Samus ditto the one time we did, I feel special =D Mike G, you and Hein play basically the same way, lol.

I really didn't expect to get Top 5 with Items on. So I feel good placing this high in an items tournament. Despite what you guys may be thinking about what I am thinking, that is the truth =P So NO JOHNS!

The Doug: You're a very good player, you're skill with many characters is much more than I've seen with others who try to be diverse. You play very defensive from what I've experienced, a little change in that may improve your game.

There's some other cool people I've met/played, but I unfortunately don't remember their names/alias X_X

Crystal City: I had much fun playing with you, I think I played the most Smash the whole time there with you guys as well. Fango looks like Link to me btw.

:starman:

ROBFALCO

Smash Journeyman
First off, mattdeezie thanks for letting us lalo at your house. We liked it. It was fun hanging out at your house.You are now one of the coolest people I know, you where up for everything. YOU LIKED TRICKSIES. Your tounament was a lalo(****ING BADASS)

2nd, Anden and Azen where the coolest people to hang around with. it was ****ing badass. i say these where the people i got to know best. Anden is a funny mother ****er. Azen was cool to play against. TO AZEN YES DITTOS FOR HIM. GOOD WITH EVERYONE. FACE YOUR FEAR IS SOME FUNNY ****.

3rd, Guys for washington it was cool hanging around with you all. One of you guys looks like jesus. LOL. the one that never wears shoes. They provided one of the best highlight of our trip. one of you all said the biggest john in history. It was a TRUE JOHN but besides the fact that it was true. It was funny. Quote " MY CONTACT FELL OUT" LOL FUNNY ****. PIKACHU KICKED *** ALSO.

4th, Wes was a funny mother ****er. that guy would make me laugh everytime he played smashed. Talking trash and ****. Best ****ing samus no doubt.

5th, EDDIE all i got to say is you ****ing liked it against ken. LOL i could not believe it.

6th, Ken and manacloud and family. You guys where cool and your family was really supportive of you. that to me is very cool. Your sister was very nice to us. You little sister taught me how to say like in your launguage. But **** i forgot how to say it. You where right mana i would not remember. I hate myself for forgetting. All in all i thank you all(Ken and manacloud and family) **** YEAH I DOWNHITTED KEN. LOL. I had fun playing you guys.

7th, FLORIDA you guys where cool to hang around with.

8th,Indiana Guy. The one that sat with us at our table. Try to have some fun dude. You seem to not do any tricksies. While we where talking at are table you seemed bored. Still fun to hang with you.

9th,WHO THE **** DID I FORGET??? Oh yeah some fat guy making fun of us for showing the DK ****ing a pikachu. That guy was boring and was not being himself. Stop saying big ****ing words. I dont want to use a dictionary while talking to you. and before you make some lame *** joke about me not talking right. **** YOU. AND PLEASE DONT EVER SAY DIVERSITY AGAIN IN YOUR LIFE. IF WES WOULD OF HEARD YOU HE WOULD OF *****ed SLAPPED THE **** OUT OF YOU.

10th, ISAI, GREAT PLAYER BUT YOU NEVER WANTED TO PLAY US ONE ON ONES. To bad you where "TIRED" < A JOHN. We where tired too the point was playing us. Besides that you where really cool to us and i enjoyed hearing you trash talk. Your ok in my book too.

11th, Colorado You guys where cool to hang around with we liked it. Also i hope you guys make it to the moast this year.

12th, CORY you liked downhits.

13th, VIEN we liked rides to the airport thanks. You laloed.

14th, DERRICK(ALASKA) CALM DOWN. you good at smash. Just don't get mad when you lose man. You are suppose to have fun. Yeah you can say **** and other **** when you lose or die. But have fun while doing it.

FINAL **** TO SAY,

THe only person who was not cool with me was the fat guy who talked big ****ing words. Everyone else was cool. Who did forget. Well whos knows

BEST THING THAT HAPPEND. When Mattdeezie was tricksied by us. HE LIKED SLEEP. We put mattdeezie to sleep. He was out for about 10 seconds funny ****. He woke up and was like where am I. FOREVER KNOWN AS "THE TRICKSIES". I still remember when you said "THEY TRICKSIES ME"

Jem

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Even Though i Couldnt Come, Sounds Like Overall You All Had A good Time. im A Washington Player, =D. But, nm tat. i Have A Pretty good Falco, u can even ask Jeff (Dunno if i almost beat him at his best) but, Congrats to Ken and Isai for Doing Good. And Good Job Washington Players For Representing Us, lol. Just Wish i Coulda Came. And Congrats to Everyone else who went.

CauthonLuck

Smash Journeyman
I Liked It!

Sastopher is the Iron Man, 14 hours straight driving there and back. I even learned to drive a clutch before we left, just incase, but it didn't matter since he is apparently immune to fatigue.

Awesome tourney, thanks to Matt and his parents for housing us, and especially to the staff of TG who worked hard all weekend behind the scenes to keep the tourney running smooth.

First off, it was awesome meeting everyone from the boards, this being my first out of state tourney, everyone was cool in person, and most of the egos and trashtalk are forgotten while people just have a good time hanging out and smashing.

Eddie and Boy, I love seeing more "under apprieciated" characters whooping @$$, was great playing with you, the Big Man and Cute Dino are hardcore. Caveman's doc was amazing, and especially Wes's Samus. Wes is crazy at recovering, and he dishes out as many downhits with Samus as any Falco player I've seen.

Sam: Ya, Flatzone is a great Falco stage, but I was having a "bad Falco day" already, and was just kinda hoping for a lucky break there. I lost to one Falco already, and barely beat another a couple rounds before I played you, and your Falco was definatley the best one there. I wasn't dissapointed when you beat me, I just know I was outplayed and wasn't suprised or bitter that you moved on ahead of me.

Matt: Man, that scissor pokemon...

:rolleyes:
That's a really tough spot to be in, you didn't want to say anything, and the whole crowd was thinking the same thing as you, "man, that was so bs." You handled it really well though, I remember losing my last stock in IVGF to an unknown pokemon in almost the same way, from low % to instant death on big blue and I didn't keep my cool nearly as well. I definatley have to say it though, as people are already talking about "well, if it weren't for items, so and so..." and tiny comments in people's posts about items not giving accurate results:

No freakin' Johns!! ;)

The rules were posted up way in advance for everyone to see, and it's each player's responsibility to know how to play their best with the rules being used. I'm not a fan of items myself, but it doesn't mean that people should be using that as an excuse when everyone had enough time to prepair and practice using the settings that would be used come tourney time.

*Warning: Pikachu Theories that you may not care about in the slightest.

After this weekend, I definatley want to give some opinions and overview on everyone's favorite Rat. I'm glad that I stuck with Pikachu for this tourney, I definatley got a better idea of what his strengths and weaknesses are, and possibly a better idea of how he should be used overall. First off, my rating of him before this tourney was inflated because us Washington players really lack the kind of top quality fox/falco/sheik users that were at TG, so I couldn't see some of his weaknesses until I saw them used at high levels of play.

I still think that Pika can be a "low" high-tier character, but he is shaping up to be more of a situational character in my eyes. He is great against some characters such as Peach/Samus/Luigi etc.. where he can control the match with projectiles and K.O. at extremely low percentages. I don't see any real weaknesses in other character matches until you get to the Triforce holders of Fox/Falco/Sheik. These characters almost completley negate Pika's strengths and style of play which, in a basic sense, in most situations consists of: Chip damage and quick attacks until 50-60%, followed by dash-dancing or shield cancelled up-smash into jumping thunders for early K.O.'s.

All 3 of them can control the tempo of the match with their projectiles, forcing Pika to bring the attack to them. While Fox/Falco can reflect and blaster to hold off and return chip damage, Sheik can negate thunderjolts easily with needles, and also simply charge 2/3 needles and release in the time it takes to get off one jolt, giving a tiny bit of chip damage every time she gets in the right position to do so. Then for killing blows, Fox and Falco's fast falling require quite a bit more damage before a K.O. hit can even be attempted, and they also negate Pika's up-smash from sheild because their air to ground attacks and dash attacks with their quick "in and out" style, don't leave the oppertunities that most characters do from coming down with an air attack or dashing attack. While Sheik is easier to kill vertically, and her dash attack leaves her open for sheild up-smashes, she is also nearly impossible to edge guard with Pika, and has the horrible chain down throw that takes Pika from 0 to 70% before it can be escaped short of the Sheik player making a mistake.

The only way I can seem to kill Fox/Falco is outside of Pika's usual strengths/play style by luring them to an edge and back throwing with a tail spike or forward smash edge guarding. However, since fox/falco can control the match with reflector/blaster, it is difficult to kill them in this way more than once a match, as they will usually force Pika to bring the fight to them after this hapens once. With Sheik, the only way I can win is on stages with slanted ground where I cannot be throw chained forever, and can projectile spam somewhat because the needles have to be jump thrown in order to cancel them out.

Anyways, I think it is these specific matchups that keep Pika from being a solid high tier character, and have convinced me that I need to learn to play another character solidly in order to be competitive at a large tourney level. Pika could still be a great character to use in competitive tourney play, but would require "backup" characters, in differing matchups. Against certain characters, Pika could be used as a direct counter, light characters with no reflecting abilities, and a solid character with no huge expoitable weaknesses against most others. Then when facing Fox/Falco/Sheik players, or someone who switches to them after the first match, having a character like Falco or Marth, for example, to fall back on would allow Pikachu to still be used effectivley as someone's "Main."

BrooksTheLaw

Smash Rookie
TG5

First off I would like to say thanks to Matt and his parents for letting all of us washington crew stay at his house. Second I would like to thank Matt and all of the TG5 crew for putting on one **** of a tourney. I would also like to say thanks to some of the guys from North Cali like Matt, Jeremy, Tony, Vein, Blake, Boy, and Sam for hagin with the washginton crew and showing us a good time. I would also like to give a shout out to all the people who played super awesome like Matt, Jeremy, Sam, Eddie, Jeff, Chris, Josh Yagi, Jon, J Dawg, Kei, Silly Fox and some of the east coast guys like Wes, Hein, Mike, and some of the flordia guys. I will never forget that night at Dennys where you called the waitress a **** lol that was super funny. And i cant forget the Drystal City guys, these guys are some of the funniest people I have ever met. Also Ken and Isai played so well. Maybe at TG6 we can have a finals that dont include all Cali. Anyway thanks again to matt and to anyone I may have forgotten.

BrooksTheLaw

Smash Rookie
I totally forgot to tell Vein that next time im in Cali i will have to beat his *** at Naruto and maybe Cory will be down there to witness it AGAIN. LOL.

Freak'N Yosh

Smash Journeyman
more to say

rori... the feeling's mutual. i enjoyed all our matches against eachother. i got nothing but love for that pikachu man, couldnt help but smile as that lil peaceful pikachu hit lightning up my yoshis @$$ hehe

azen... i had fun playin u too homie, i knew u were gonna do well in singles, and ****... that series against isai was definately one of the main events.

all in all, it was a good experience. i saw a lot of crazy setups that im gonna try and add to my game. and yes, i plan on makin my yosh even crazier than ever, i felt so plain after seeing wes' samus and sam's falco, they had the craziest setups. in any case, thats it for now. peace

TheJigglyPuffer

Smash Journeyman
heheh, i wish "stuff" hadn't come up to take me away from tg5, but oh well. it was lots of fun even though i was only there for like half of saturday :D

all that needs to be said has pretty much been said, so i'll just say my congrats to ken, isai, jeremy, wes, hien, dave, and sam for takin top 3 in the tourneys. and i'm glad that everyone had fun :D

oh, and i'm glad to have learned that i could fit sirus in my tiny car.... along with 6 other guys :eek: that was funniest trip to jack in the box i ever had.

senpyou

Smash Apprentice
vien not vein

azen/anden: did you guys make it to the bus ok? dood, im soooooo sorry if i made you guys late.

caveman: dood you caped me.

brooks: ELBOW DROPS.

washington mofos: grape gummies setups for days. DAYS.

THE CREW: you guys are hilarious. otis talks nonstop man. YOU HEAR ME OTIS?!?!?!!?! and seeing antonio roll in the middle of the street just cracks me up.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
=D, My tg Thanks

Where do I start, but to say this was a fun trip for me. First off......

Matt thanks a lot for hosting tg5 and the crew for helping. I met a lot of cool people there like robpimpfalco and caveman from crystal city. Me likes , you guys are cool =D. Eddie you suprised me most man. You won MVP on my list of most improved since tg4. Your ganondorf is by far the best i have seen. Vallejo, what can I say but your like family =D. Your all so cool, oh btw, jon jon, I want to become your cousins jedi master and teach them the way of the smash? Nah im just kidding your cousins are great players for their age. Isai - that was fun? LOL, your too wierd for me sometimes, but hey dont forget that night i beat you in monopoly after getting the house and bill payments from both chance and community chest decks which killed me in paying 900 bucks to the greedy bank. Than afterwards who came back and won =D owning most properties. Scamp your cool as always man how did you like your pizza and garlic stick =D. Sam, I apologize for the incident at tg4, we really got off on a bad start, I hope things turn out good between us. Florida guys - coolest looking hairdos ever, I mean it =D. Yagi and washington, you guys own man. All of you are like top skilled players. The best group of smashers there are in one area =D. Mr Silver you gotta speak slower man, its hard keeping up with you. Adam I liked your hair man =D so green, its too bad we didnt talk much. Wes, I dont know what to say, cool samus man, but It wasnt cool to trash talk while playing. I lost half my concentration hahahaah. Azen im suprised your a shiek player. I thought you actuallyed played all 26 to its max before the tournment. Well thats about it whoevers reading this scroll down through this big block to find your name if its there. Overall this was a great tournment and Im looking foward to the tg5 dvd. Heh, being interviewed by jeremy was cool. Im looking foward to seeing who else is on it. Well thanks eveyrone and downhits till TG6 =D.

SuperJoppe

Smash Apprentice
Deezie:
I know TG5 just ended, you have much to clean up etc..
Awesome that you have hosted TG1-TG5,
but I am just wondering, do you think you will you host a TG6 too?
If so, when do you think it will be? End of this year? Beginning of next year?
I ask you because both me and a 2 japaneses are wondering..
You know, it takes time to plan a trip to USA when you live so far away :/

Silly Fox

Smash Journeyman
Tg was fun!!! it was awsome seeing some people on the boards that i never would have had a chance to see before. another cool thing is.. my new screen name! thanks to cory :D. yeah, id definitely go down for more tgs in the future. :)

-george

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
i hope the dvd comes out rather soon. i totally missed some great **** which rather pisses me off. also i hope that deezie hosts tg6, cuase then ill actually be able to challenge you folks..(sorry for not challenging all that was set up.........-_-)
and so ya...
i have some other stuff id like to say but right now i am toooo tired to type anything else....

KidJester

Smash Apprentice
Woohoo

Man, what a great tournament. Obviously everyone had a lot of fun, and for good reason.

It was cool to talk with you Sam and Dave. I'll try to keep Two Stick as one of Cava's nicknames around here. Only if he'd use more than 1 god**** button...

Cava, man we had fun, can't wait for the next one. Maybe we'll get interviewed next time. :chuckle: :chuckle:

Matt - I forgot the brackets, could you send them to me? PM me if you can, I'll be willing to send you whatever the cost is. :cool: :D

Can't wait for the DVD, just too bad we couldn't do the idea I had in mind.. oh well, maybe next time we can swing by a Taco Bell and do it.

Congrats to the winners! Maybe next time I won't bring Mario.. :( Everyone's just to mean against him.

And to Sirus (that how you spell it?) Was really cool to hang out with you and talk, you're a funny guy... but we already knew that. Have fun working at McDonalds :chuckle: . We need to continue our fight over the right for Hyrule, you got lucky both times you won, and you know it!

Cyntalan Maelstrom

Smash Ace
NNID
Cyntalan
3DS FC
4227-1428-3954
well, I'll finally post my thoughts.

Well run tourney overall. The environment wasn't mean like TG4 to those who made themselves disliked on the boards, that was sweet. Everyone seemed to have a great time. I hope the stolen goods are found, and the person/people are lynched by a GC controller. :p

Taking 13th in teams and 33rd in 1v1s is more than I expected for us, especially seeing how there was next to NO mediocre players. I plan on doing better next time, and I will spend the time between now and TG^ trying to beat Jeremy. I must. :p

Matthijis - sorry, but we had to eliminate you guys from teams. It's a shame, I know, but it was either us or you. You know how it is. You completely kick *** with Zelda, shocking everyone after they get toe'd (double meaning, I know). I wanna see you take out Jeremy next time, though, even if it's w/ Fox, but it'd be better off using Zelda. Just means more work on her. :p

Sirus - You and Locke are gonna be an insane and hated team come TG^. You may not dominate the scene, but the consistent trash talk coming out of you the entire match will be well worth the watch. Too bad the matches are only direct feed captured... the audio would be so perfect.... btw, that Summoner vid you were talking about, isn't that from a Kids in the Hall sketch? The more I thought about it, the more I realized I've seen it somewhere....

KidJester - You lost the brackets already? Sheesh.... :p j/k hope deez'll send that to ya, it indeed will be a nice EC souvenier.

Robfalco - you're just crazy. That Denny's incident where you sat down at other tables was just too funny. I'm glad we didn't get kicked out, though, I was hungry...

Ken - two time champ now. Dominated the best of the best from around the country without ever losing a match. Insane. Teamed up with Isai and slaughtered in teams. Absolutely amazing. I do hope we bring NorCal and SoCal together a bit more, if we could play more often against each other, I'm sure we'd all become unstoppable.

Derrick - man, all the way up there, and you still managed to prove a force to be reckoned with. Who do you play against? That's just crazy... you and Mike G thoroughly rocked us in teams, with little to no practice with each other. I think we all hope you can make it back here for TG^, and hope you had fun here for this one.

Florida - you guys must have just loved the ride to Denny's. Nothing better than spooky music to a drive to a place none of us knows where we are going. And then the chase back was equally good.

Well, that sums it up, I think. If/when bi-weeklies start back up, it'll be w/ a new Peach partner (who still needs to get on the boards, he'd learn a lot...). Hopefully by TG^, we'll be as big of a force as me and Locke.

AndenHellseenkee

Smash Journeyman
SephKen!

Man your a cool guy. And it is definately a shame that items were on =/ I despise items. And it is even a bigger shame that Azen didn't get to play you. Dittos for all but Ken =(

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Grrr

Man I sucked so bad at this tourny. I missed entering the top 16th 2v2 TG4 by 1 win, and this time I was just horrible. My partner kept on pika-pika-ing himself off edges >_< Personally I think it was the fact that my group all entered with having less than 4 hours of practice since TG4....that's why we're rethinking our 'practicing' times and playing now like we did when we got the game.

Ken!, I really want to go 1v1 MarthvMarth w/ you. You gotta promise a match at TG%, I need to see my level of Marth skill. I used to be all Doc but I'm switching over to Marth. I'm not sure how I'd fare but I don't think I'd get KOed in 28 sec (hahahah that was amazing).

Great tourny Matt, when can we expect the TG% DVD and TG6? Also, when is the next biweekly?

Lumbro

Smash Ace
TG% was an awesome experience. Deezie is the man for hosting everyone at his house and putting together the best Smash tournament in these United States. Also big thanks to Vien, Rob, and MrSilver for picking us up from the airport, and the rest of the staff for helping everything run darn smoothly.

My personal favorite matches were watching Isai and Azen play. That was the first time I've seen TG matches that looked Japanese. Isai's Captain Falcon is incredibly good, and Azen's Sheik is no different. I don't think people are giving Azen enough credit. To say that Azen is above average with all characters is like saying Einstein was above average with many areas of physics. He beat Recipherus and Deezie in ditto money matches before the tournament, and lots of other high-level players in friendly dittos. The only person I saw able to consistently beat Azen in ditto matches was Eddie. To speak on tournament standings, yes Azen got 4th. Yes he used Sheik. But he lost to Isai and Jeremy in very close sets (I'm not sure about the set with Jeremy, but the set with Isai was close). Sure people like seeing someone good with all 26 characters, but just realize that it won't bring home the bacon.

Yagi - It was fun times at the airport. It's universally 3 bucks for a banana and a muffin at every airport (San Jose, Tampa, Seattle, we forgot to check Atlanta) Right then.

Sastopher - You're like the daddy of the Washington crew. It wasn't right that you were put in that situation to have to drive 14 hours both ways. Maybe next time Washington will get responsibilities down on written contracts or something.

Brooks - I did NOT call our waittress a s1ut. Okay, well, maybe a little.

Jon and J-Dawg, good stuff guys. Word of advice: Arrest warrants don't just go away. :beezo: Close matches in the team tourney

Rori, Jeff, George, Takagi: Washington rocks. Good to hear you guys play similar rules to FL (no items, team attack on). Brian and I didn't want to eliminate Rori and Jeff, and those were close matches that let us do so. Yay for bobombs and green shells appearing in front of you as you're doing a move (both teams) :rolleyes:

Crystal City, you guys are nuts! I can't believe it caught on, but I expect to be saying "No Johns" and "He liked it" for the rest of my smash days. Ohh, you guys also make people pass out. That can't be healthy, but it definitely is funny. "They Tricksied me!" I just saw stars, next time push harder. Darkrillan eliminated me in singles, Caveman's Doc is awesome, RobFalco is funny, and that other dude was pretty tough for carrying Matt's giant TV up the stairs.

Colorado - It was cool seeing you guys again. A lot has happened since Miami. I can't believe that Tanh took Wes to 3 matches and almost eliminated him... I still don't know if I believe it after seeing it. You guys are crazy for driving so far, but not quite as crazy as MrSilver or NY.

Speak of MrSilver, you are one of the most energetic and friendly people around man. I spent a lot of time talking with you. I wish we could get in the US the 50 cent giant portions you can get at snack bars in the Netherlands. You win the distance contest, and yes we all hate Peach. It's crazy to me that you fly out here where you can't even break even if you take first place in singles.

Sam and Scamp - Sam, you're a cocky one. Hehe. I guess you have the right to be a lot of the time. One of my prouder moments was when we took you guys to 3 matches in the team pools. Gratz on the 3rd in teams, keep up the good Falco. It was good talking to you Scamp, you ran the pools well and were very patient with my questions.

Jeremy and Adam - We were also proud to push Lusheiki to 3 matches. You guys eliminated us, which is good because if we would have won I might have had a heart attack. Too bad you guys had to face each other in the loser's bracket during singles, but props to Jeremy for getting 2nd.

DP - I just wanted to say it was funny when Sloppy Seconds met Double Penetration in the first round. It must have been fate. Boy, if what I hear is true then I can see why the ladies like you. You got this aura around you of "cool." Fun times dudes.

Eddie - You are awesome. The only person to date to beat Ken in a money match. And I think this was only the second time anyone has ever beaten Ken in a set, am I right? Watching your Ganondorf in action is awesome, and you were one of my top picks for winning TG%. You're also a cool guy, and I hope to see you again. Remember to bring Eduardo next time, Team Blood stands to take TG6 teams, if we don't. :p

Kidjester and Cava - Hehe, you MD guys are a lot of fun. Friendly dudes and very laid back. You guys pushed us to 3 in the team pools. We hope to play again.

Wes Hein Mike G - You NY guys are insane for driving so long. Wes' Samus is amazing, and it was neat to see Hein vs. Wes on Monday evening in casual matches. Yes I'll give you your match if the opportunity ever arises Wes, but as it stands right now I think you'd beat me pretty solidly. I saw you beat Deezie whose Fox is better than mine, I think. Not to mention it's amazing to see Samus spike space animals out of their recoveries at will. I hope you get your camera back, Mike.

Anden - Hearing you talk to the Crystal City crew about different types of Johns was one of the funnier times at TG%. I'm not exactly sure how your card trick works, but I am curious. You almost beat Ken in a match, which was impressive in itself. I think you and Azen got a lot of deserved respect now.

Sirus - You got some crazy stories man. I still don't know if I believe you dragged a customer over the counter at McD's man. YES I ENJOY LIVING. You and Cyntalan Maelstrom definitely were spooky characters with the music and the shady driving on the way to and from Denny's. Thanks for the lift and though it was spooky, it was fun.

Lunaris - I don't know how you've gotten as good as you are with no competition. You said to me that you intend to train and become one of the top competitors, and I gotta tell you that that sounds crazy. You need high level competition to become high level yourself. Feel free to prove me wrong though because I saw you beat Jon's Captain Falcon, which is impressive in itself. Still, it's okay to relax a little bit.

Ken and Isai: You guys are amazing. I don't know what to say. It made our day when we almost beat you guys the first match in the pool game, and Ken said "wow, they're pretty good." Ken, when it came down to the two of us in Flatzone, each lasting to over 100% damage, that was intense. I thought you were dead like 3 times and you kept coming back, and you probably thought the same. If I would have won that I probably would have keeled over. Good idea on the KFC, Isai. Your old-school smash is amazing to watch. I got all teary-eyed from nostalgia. Good luck at SNL.

Joshu - Quite the Luigi. I wish I would have seen your match with Adam. I guess you did know the right way back to Deezie's that night. Ignore my sense of direction, okay?

The experience was awesome in general, and as I've already written too much I'll say that if money permits I'll be back for more.

Takagi

Smash Journeyman
pretty much what everyone says, i want to thank Matt for letting us stay at his house for the weekend i had the best time ever at a smash bros tourney, hopefully i can go to the next one. everyone there was cool and i had the laugh of my life when lumbro seemed like to call the the waitress a ****. i had a stomach ache after that lol. taking top 32 in the singles was pretty good for me after all the good people who were there. well this means that there is a lot of room for me to improve so i'll be working on it. since everyone pretty much said who was amazing and stuff and i agree with pretty much everyone about that so i won't point out anything.

dude robfalco because you guys say you LIKED it and no Johns so often many washington people are starting to say it now lol thanks man.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
im curious..
how many of you out of towners that came to tg5 are coming to tg6 or 7.
you all sound like a blast to hang out with, so i was wondering if you could make it back for some more tg's
well ya..
No lalos until we meet in the ring rob!

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
Good tourney!...i didn't do so well, but overall the experience was great....all i have to say is that ken's the man! hope that everyone who attended this tourney returns for the next TG....this tourney had some crazy mad skill involved.....but that only encourages me to get better....by the time TG6 rolls around im hoping things will be different for me.

oh yeah, out of staters wes, azen, and caveman were really good. that is all.

KidJester

Smash Apprentice
Was really cool to talk to you, Lumbro, and your friend. (Goldwing was it?)

I can't believe I forgot the **** brackets though, I have such a horrible memory. I mean, I put the BIG WHITE ROLLED UP PAPER on my bag, and still managed to not see it. Man... well, when I do get it, everyone will see that "Jerry" won the tournament, and not Ken!

(For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about... don't ask)

ROBFALCO

Smash Journeyman
Yeah

the loser brackets winner was "LALO". ITs good its good. **** its sucks we wont meet again till the next tg5. some of you guys go to "THE MOAST"

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
Hein - I gots your camera. However Im going to be out of town as of 10:30 tonight. So what Ill do is leave the camera with my mother, and you can arrange a time with her to pick it up or something like that. Shes usually home in the evenings.

408 365 1180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom