• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thank You Plank For Pound 4

WolfReflection

Smash Cadet
I just went through 6 entire pages of this thread. Did I read a good portion of anything fulfilling about the tournament? No. I read through a bunch of redundant arguments that manifested all because M2K and a few rabid fan****s protested his disqualification. It's all done now, according to Plank, Jman slept in and broke some things. That's their own fault for holding up the tournament for more than an hour and a half. It's the other team's fault for not reporting anything. Oh well, get over it guys. Tournaments are run, rules get set, people get disqualified. No exceptions. Now let's get on with what the thread was originally for BEFORE all the polejockers came through. Thanks.

Azuzu

Smash Cadet
You guys are creating a huge double standard here. You keep saying that the top players should not get exceptional treatment, but it's clear that in this case they did. If it was any other team they would have been knocked into losers, and that would have been the end of it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You guys are creating a huge double standard here. You keep saying that the top players should not get exceptional treatment, but it's clear that in this case they did. If it was any other team they would have been knocked into losers, and that would have been the end of it.
How so?

Plank said DQ, not "knocked into losers", and as far I can tell, nobody got knocked into losers for being late for anything, just DQ'd.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
plaink i sear stop trying to make me look like the bad guy here

i told u we could not find our car keys y would i lie wtf

those bottles that were smashed, were the same bottles we were drinking on the way to your tourney on friday.. we left them in the room...

so u dont even no what the **** your talking about..

now since u wanna say jman try to test me bull****

lets talk about how u rigged your third round pool and your brakit

jugfingers

Smash Champion
. Jman tested me and got burned.

powertripping To's are not legit.

people came to your tourney to play smash. not get dq'ed who cares if your late, I mean if it was holding up the tournament I can see why you would continue without them, but clearly that wasn't the case as warriorknight was able to play with his teammate without anyone knowing.

People came to pound 4 to play the best in the world. not letting m2k and jman in the loser bracket because they would likely beat everyone is a terrible reason at very best. They would have had to play them anyways at some point if they made it far enough in bracket, and then on top of that not letting them take the place of a team that offered to forfeit just shows what a douche bag you are.

I hope tournament hosts in the future prioritize the game over the rules

plank is a good example of whats worng with the world

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion

people came to your tourney to play smash. not get dq'ed who cares if your late, I mean if it was holding up the tournament I can see why you would continue without them, but clearly that wasn't the case as warriorknight was able to play with his teammate without anyone knowing.

People came to pound 4 to play the best in the world. not letting m2k and jman in the loser bracket because they would likely beat everyone is a terrible reason at very best. They would have had to play them anyways at some point if they made it far enough in bracket, and then on top of that not letting them take the place of a team that offered to forfeit just shows what a douche bag you are.

*glances at the thread title and proceeds to lol*

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
If you do not enforce early, no one gives a **** if you threaten them.

Imagine if rules were not enforced.

- People would play friendlies even if matches are being called.
-It would take forever to announce pools
- People would take lunch-dinner breaks in the middle of tourneys, stalling matches

If there is no threat, then honestly what incentive does a person have to listen to the rules.
I've run UCLA tournaments where because I was lenient, no one gave a **** about listening, causing tournaments to go over time.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
no one gave a **** about listening, causing tournaments to go over time.
lol man don't you know you've just turned into the teacher that everyone hated in elementary school

I'd rather have a long awesome tournament with lots of friendlies and eating , then a lame short tournament where top players are dq'd and don't get there money back.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

*looks at the "y" under ABCs of tournament hosting*

Late matches do hold up tournaments, that's the reality, they tend to have a ripple effect which messes with the entire tournament down the line. And even if that one match doesn't, if rules aren't enforced consistently, nobody gives a ****. And that includes top players.

Now, I'm sorry, and it sucks for Jman and M2K, especially if Jman had a valid excuse (looks like a "he said, she said" case here), and honestly I think he should've said, "you're losing your match" the night before instead of "you're being DQ'd", but unless you're a hard-*** events DO NOT RUN ON TIME. Period, there's too many people. Plank's the boss, he made a judgment call about what would happen to people who were late, maybe he chose the wrong option at that point, but tossing aside the legal issues, for the sake of the entire tournament he had to DQ.

Does it suck? Yes. Was he wrong to do it? No.

lol man don't you know you've just turned into the teacher that everyone hated in elementary school

I'd rather have a long awesome tournament with lots of friendlies and eating , then a lame short tournament where top players are dq'd and don't get there money back.
Except... you're gonna end up with a lame tournament where winners, losers, and GFs are canceled because you ran out of time. Real world constraints, we only have the venue for a limited time, we're too late, we don't finish.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend

This is the best post I've ever read. You're hilarious.

@Jman, I've explained myself a million times already, no need for me to make it a million and one. I'm done with the situation, but if you want to continue complaining for the next few months rather than admitting you probably should've just woken up and came on time, that's your choice.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I know the rules are there for a reason, but ask yourself this: would Plank have DQ'd Armada and Amsah if they were slighly late for singles (about as late as Jman was for dubs)? I can't help but wonder.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I know the rules are there for a reason, but ask yourself this: would Plank have DQ'd Armada and Amsah if they were slighly late for singles (about as late as Jman was for dubs)? I can't help but wonder.
Yes.

14yes.

It would've sucked, and people would've been pissed, but Plank's been pretty consistent.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
As much as I understand plank for DQ'ing players for not being on time, I can't help but I agree with this. And from the way plank's posts have been towards jman i'd say his decision could've been a bit biased. :ohwell:

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
....Yes I would have, and they know that, but they were sure to be there on the first group of shuttles everyday because they, as well as 99% of the venue, understood how serious I was about DQ's at this tournament. I never once said that people would "lose their set" or "be knocked to losers", I simply said disqualified.

dis⋅qual⋅i⋅fy  [dis-kwol-uh-fahy] Show IPA
Use disqualify in a Sentence
–verb (used with object), -fied, -fy⋅ing.
1. to deprive of qualification or fitness; render unfit; incapacitate.
2. to deprive of legal, official, or other rights or privileges; declare ineligible or unqualified.
3. Sports. to deprive of the right to participate in or win a contest because of a violation of the rules.

I post towards Jman the way I do because he was extremely disrespectful this tournament and because of his irresponsibility shown in multiple ways throughout the tournament people are turning on me. Would you not be a little bit bitter afterwards as well after all your work put into the tournament is being overshadowed by a kid who didn't follow the rules? I've never even had a slight problem with Jman before this tournament. We actually were really friendly. Had he shown up at the venue at 10:30 when the tournament was supposed to start instead of 12:15, this wouldn't have happened at all.

SuperRad

Smash Master
Pound 4 was amazing. There are a bunch of small things I could complain about, but a year from now I probably wont remember any of them (except one). This wasn't the best tournament I've ever been to, but it's easily my 3rd favorite and was a great one to make my first out of state.

Thanks Plank.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
ok its over we cant go back

but what about u having a rigged bracket and third round pools ??

and its not just me a lot of people at the tourney told this to me also..

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I've also made posts about that defending myself, no need to repeat myself. If you want an answer, look at my profie & previous posts. I probably won't even be entering my own events in the future, everytime I had to play everything got so held up and nothing got done really.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
@jugfingers
Or you can get with the reality (i'm guessing you never ran a tournament > 30 people in your life). You loiter 10 mins here and 15 mins there, it adds up. Pound 3 was pushed to 4am finals if you recall. As a matter of fact, I can list several of tournaments that have not finished because of stupidity of smashers. Plainkk wanted to finish on time as much as we could. Even then, we could not pull of some crew battles such as EC vs WC for melee. If we allowed a long-*** tournament, then brawl would have not finished, and I highly doubt melee grand finals would have finished as early as it did.

Someone give this guy a 200 man+ tourney to organize and then I'll laugh at him later as he doesn't get to finish anything.

Ninjaedit: Also keep in mind, when we run a UCLA tournament, we only get it for a certain period of time (early mornign til 10pm ish) . Afterwards, I get fined for renting the building and spending overtime. Why should I have to pay $300 in fines out of my own pocket because entitled smashers feel like they can do whatever they want and not listen to the organizer? It's almost a lose-lose situation for the TO because of entitled *****es like you. If we don't disqualify, the tournament doesn't finish and everyone complains that grand finals didn't get done. If we do disqualify, then people complain. I say, "go **** yourself"

I'm sure everyone would want longer tournaments with friendlies and chilling, but keep in mind as a TO, I have to ensure the tournament runs and finishes on time.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
ok its over we cant go back

but what about u having a rigged bracket and third round pools ??

and its not just me a lot of people at the tourney told this to me also..
Its funny how TOs are always accused of this...
but oh well... i guess they deserve it, those egoistic *******s that are just out for their reputation!
**** you plank!
**** you alex strife (i'm sure you did some things too that we're as ****ed up as planks decisions!)
**** you thantulus (sorry forgot the name) you just wanted to be better known, so you made a Twitter! **** YOU!
and **** everyone else who helped out, just to get repped in some threads!!!

**** AJP anthon and other recorders for giving us lowlives that couldnt attend horrible recordings and livestreams!

and finally, Thank you ppl who are *****ing about stuff... you make a tournament like this worth having happened! i love you!

oh wow, most of those stars are D*A*M*N ... i wouldnt even dare say f*u*c*k* you, even ironically to awesome ppl like you!

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
The fact of the matter ...

they paid yes, but if you arent there on time, you have no right to play
special treatment for good players? good thing you will never host a major tournament
Ok, I think that I need to vaccinate the ignorance here with a little verbal penicillin. As was mentioned earlier: They are stars in the community. A huge chunk of people probably even went just to see them play in doubles. They were hyping the tourney and alot of that feeling left the venue when they were disqualified. Plank. You ran an incredible tounrament and it was a blessing to be there but there was probably another way to handle it. If people on the WC can wait for MaNgO to start then why couldn't you knowing the caliber of the players that you were DQing. Jman's car wouldn't start at first. It was like they over slept or thought that they would be waited on because of who they are. If Plank was a top player and he got there late
I can bet all the money in the world he'd still be playing even if he had to start from the losers bracket. Also it's kinda wierd how he got so far. I mean Plank is good but not that good. His pools were full of low tiers and how Armada got his worst matchup (CF) in the brackets twice when it's common knowledge that Armada hates the Capn matchup. He lost to SS and then to Hax.
I call BSSSSSS.

So my point is, how can you not be following the rules when you weren't intending on your car effing up ? Of course they wanted to be there on time.

That like going to the airport and even though your late and your plane is still there and they still wont take off for another ten you can't get on the plane.

I'm not backing them up because of who they are. It's because they are smashers just like anyone else on these forums and they paid good money and expected a better experience from Pound 4.

Edit : An also, judging from the threads for Pound it almost seems to me ( and not just to me ) that Plank had it out for Jman/M2K. He had something against them and let that get in the way of his judgment.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
Plank ran a great tournament. Please don't start accusing him of cheating or setting up his brackets. He beat legit players such as HBK and Ka-Master. They are not "no names" as people have said. Also Armada had to play SS and Hax but he beat Hax. And there were a lot of Falcons in the tournament so he was bound to run into one eventually, especially since he didn't play any at Genesis. I think that Plank may have handled the JMan/M2K situation differently, but **** people, it was his tournament and he made the call. Run a national tournament and then you can talk.

SuperRad

Smash Master
LONG *** POST
The day before, Plank announced to be there at 10:30 as that was when the bracket would be starting. They didn't start until much later than that, I believe around 11:30. When the teams matches were called, they were already way past when JMan and EVERYONE ELSE was told to show up. Depending on when they had the trouble getting to the venue, they could have just hopped a shuttle and gotten there on time.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Also it's kinda wierd how he got so far. I mean Plank is good but not that good. His pools were full of low tiers and how Armada got his worst matchup (CF) in the brackets twice when it's common knowledge that Armada hates the Capn matchup. He lost to SS and then to Hax.
I call BSSSSSS.
I don't think Plank rigged the pools or bracket! However, there was some poor seeding in pools/bracket! HugS, Falcomist and SS in the same pool was crazy! I also see five cali players on the same side in the bracket! Lucky and Mango had to play!

Also, nobody knew how Armada even did against Captain Falcon! You can't use that! He lost to SS only too!

I.B

Smash Lord
You guys can't be serious...

So having a pool full of characters that get ***** by Sheik(-Peach), then having your first 3 rounds of bracket go Marth main, Marth main, then Luigi main, just to conveniently place in the money would be called a 'coincidence'?

Oh c'mon

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
why does atlus8 finish all of his sentences with an exclamation point? is he always yelling?

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
Why does SuperRad not make any sense at all ? Can someone please translate for me ? I can't seem to make anything out of that nonsense up there. Oh well. On with my life.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I don't think Plank rigged the pools or bracket! However, there was some poor seeding in pools/bracket! HugS, Falcomist and SS in the same pool was crazy! I also see five cali players on the same side in the bracket! Lucky and Mango had to play!

Also, nobody knew how Armada even did against Captain Falcon! You can't use that! He lost to SS only too!
You guys can't be serious...

So having a pool full of characters that get ***** by Sheik(-Peach), then having your first 3 rounds of bracket go Marth main, Marth main, then Luigi main, just to conveniently place in the money would be called a 'coincidence'?

Oh c'mon
Plank was indeed pretty lucky with his pools/bracket, hehe :p
Who cares? Why are people making such a big deal out of dumb crap?

You're gonna sit there and tell me that after you go through the process of running Pound 4 you're not going to make your path a LITTLE bit easy? Even if it was rigged and he totally did that on purpose....can you really point fingers at him and say, "**** plank, thats messed up!" Because in reality, we know that if we are placed in similiar scenarios like that we'd do something like that too.

If you're a manager of a fast food place, are you going to pay for food?
if you work at a pizza place are you ever going to pay for food?
If you drive your friends oos are you going to be a douche about $?
if you get good grades for a semester are you not going to ask for some reward?

I mean come on guys. You make it sound like hes the devil and it was a horrible move.

This community gets all emotional on the dumbest crap sometimes no offense.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Although i appreciate the point ur trying to make POF i really didnt intentionally make my path easier. I dont really mind what people say tho because i know in my heart i didnt do anything wrong. I may have done it because I am me and therefore biased/cocky and think i'm better than I am, but that's about it. I let TIO make the file and didn't fix it to put me in a harder place from what it made, but I didn't move **** around to make my bracket easier or something. HBK beat zhu faab and more in his last pool, swiftbass 5-0
d his third pool and woulda ***** me but lost to ka master LMAO so i got an easy bracket. tough cookies, **** happens.

people get too caught up in who they perceive as good or a top player and refuse to let that go or change. if HBK didnt **** zhu i wouldve been playing zhu. if swift didnt lose to ka i wouldve played swift. not to mention swift beat remen/taj. either way i already said i prob wont participate in my events in the future, it takes WAYYY too much effort to juggle trying to win and trying to run the tourney

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
My teammate Jman was 10 minutes late for a winners finals team match because his car wouldn't start from the venue so he got there a bit late, and Plank DISQUALIFIED US FROM THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT. Both winners bracket AND losers. His logic was that it was unfair to the people in loser's bracket that they have to play Mew2King and Jman so he DQed us from the whole tournament.

Warrior Knight, who CAME with Jman, was allowed to enter with his teammate.

And on top of THAT, Doll wanted to forfeit his teams match to us anyway so we could go on and win the tourney, and Plank wouldn't let them do that.

It's ****ing bull**** and unacceptable. Me and PC arrived late for Pound2 so we were put in losers bracket but we still came back and won. Everyone I asked and told the whole story/situation to agreed with us as well that it's extremely unfair. Being DQed from winners AND losers?? NOT ALLOWING OPPOSING TEAM TO FORFEIT WHEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD. ALLOWING Warrior Knight to enter but not me and Jman. It's COMPLETELY UNFAIR. I practiced Sheik a lot for that tourney and teams with Jman only to get DQed because Jman arrived late and Plank was an *******. 700 dollars down the drain for no reason at all.
This is bull****, really ****ed up of Plank to do...

Top Bottom