• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That feel when you Ike

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
OK, so maybe this should go somewhere else, but this doesn't exactly seem to fit in any of the other threads.

So, to start the conversation about how Ike feels, I have to talk about a few others first, to explain myself. IMO, Bowser is someone who "feels" right when you play him. Ponderous, deliberate attacks that send smaller foes scattering when you hit them. Maybe it's all the screenshake and I'm just a sucker, but I think Bowser's numbers and knockback tie into it somewhat, but hell, even Boozer's jab feels appropriate. On this side of things, Sheik feels like a flippin' ninja, all over the walls, tricksy, quick, and it isn't just the looks.

A second aspect of "feel" would be consistency of feel, to me- Marth is a good example of this. Sure, this is more a mechanical thing, but when playing Marf, his range is pretty universal in its "tip or GTFO" nature and this makes playing him feel very natural- his level of floatiness plays into easy spacing of tippers, even his throws get people in positions where you can give them just the tip. It feels like a whole.

I want to compare that to how Ike feels when you play him. To me, he doesn't feel like you're playing a dude with a big sword, he doesn't feel like a fast fighter, he just feels... disjointed (to do nothing to avoid the confusion about that word as it relates to range). For example, some attacks, mostly your grounded attacks, Ftilt, Utilt and Quickdraw, for example, feel both quick and deadly, like you just sliced someone with a giant freaking sword. Some whallop satisfyingly like you'd hope- Fsmash and Usmash. But some attacks, namely Fair, Nair, Uair, feel like I'm brushing them with the sword. This may be in part due to their speed and the animations of the moves, but even with a hilt sweetspot at moderate to kill percentages, these attacks and a few others just have a feeling of whiffing about them compared to his other moves. This was undoubtedly due to the recent round of nerfs, but I was never afforded the opportunity to play anything except 2.5b.

To add to that point, mechanically I understand why, but the hilt feels wrong for a sweetspot. You don't take a greatsword into battle then exclusively bludgeon people to death with the handle.

I'm wondering if anyone else has these feelings when they play Ike. Of course, to straight change knockback and damage on the oddball abilities would be a buff, which isn't what this thread is about. Instead, what are your thoughts on Ike's feel? What would you do were you to change it? What do you like about it? Etc.

Xposure

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I never got to play previous versions of Ike. I picked him up in 2.5b and he feels amazing to play. He reminds me of how I used to play Captain Falcon, in the sense that it's not how many attacks you throw at your opponent, but rather making sure the first attack hits and restricting their movements.

I'm not sure if Ike "needs" a buff or not but I feel like he could be given something to mix up his play style.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
They could make one of the buttons that does the qd attack do a new attack, maybe something that hits behind him. Shouldn't be too game breaking, and might add a nice bit of flavor to him....not really needed, just a thought.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You mean like Pit's zair out of his gilde? You're right, that would be really sweet. Then he would have a few more options out of his QD, which is always good.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Personally, I'm opposed to any change to QD that made his moveset revolve around it any more than his moveset currently does.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You think it already revolves around it too much? You have a good point there. How would the next demo approach that? I think it they made his nair not crouch-cancelable that would make it a much more viable approach option.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You think it already revolves around it too much? You have a good point there. How would the next demo approach that? I think it they made his nair not crouch-cancelable that would make it a much more viable approach option.
I don't think that 2.5 Ike's moveset completely revolves around QD, but I'd rather not have it be more important than it is now; at the moment, I think there's a good balance between using QD and his other moves.

With regards to Ike changes, I'm not a big fan of discussing tools that he had or might need; I'd rather discuss how he can use the tools he currently has. I don't mean to come off as a ****, that's always been the way I felt and also why I've avoided this thread for so long. Non-crouch-cancelable NAir would be fun, but that would require lot of KB tweaking that would take away its comboability.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I get what you are saying. How about we shift subjects then. I know the dair can poke through platforms. Does it have the same utility the fair used to have? I have found it a tad too weak, but if i remember correctly the bottom hitbox of the old fair was pretty weak too. Also, which hit of the uair is the strongest? From what i have seen the intial hit and the last hit near ike's face and his arm seem to be the strongest. In fact, the hitbox near ike's body makes it an ok option oos. What do you think?

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I agree with Sultan. The concept is just counter-intuitive and even though I know this won't happen, Ike should just get a strong overhaul of some sort. Ike, in my honest opinion, has never felt "like Ike" in any edition of PM or any edition of brawl, any hacks, whatever. Even in vanillia, when Ike was introduced as a heavy character boggled my mind as someone who knows him from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. Sure, Ragnell is a heavy weapon, which I'm sure that's where they got the basis behind his clunky, slow design from, but by no means is Ike anything like that even when equipped with Ragnell.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Well he is relatively fast in PM, and more mobile than a lot of the cast. Some of Ike's attacks, however, are on the slow side which is most likely due to the fact that Ike uses 1 hand for the majority of his sword swings lol.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Dang it Ike get it together man! If you swing with two hands you would be so much faster. You don't get style points during matches...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i really like how ike feels... dunno what this thread is supposed to be about. he's quite fast and very strong. very few of his sweetspots were actually nerfed in strength from 2.1, btw, most of the changes were making the hilt/blade/tips actually have DIFFERENT knockback instead of the same.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
This thread is about random Ike stuff. I like how Ike feels too. His sourspots where nerfed instead right? Now you have to be more precise get a kill with him, which seems fine to me. I can't think of a single balanced character that you can indiscriminately throw out moves with and expect to kill every time. The changes were all about balance, which to me seems like a good thing to aspire to.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Although the tips have decreased knockback and damage compared to the hilt and arm/blade hitboxes, they aren't necessarily worse; they have a lower KB angle than the hilt or blade/arm, so they're better for edgeguarding fastfallers.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Going back to his "feel", I have a lot of similar problems with this. Like I can qd and can take advantage of options out of qd and everything but in general he feels disjointed and clunky. What am I missing to get him all silky smooth?
I guess another way to ask this is how does a good Ike keep up momentum as compared to other characters? I love the feel of like a Mario or Marth where your flow is dictated by your ability to waveland/wd but with Ike I feel like the qd is just a little too slow to make it fluid after waveland, wd, or fast fall. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You need to keep your opponent in the air. Abusing Ike's sweet grab game to set up combos with his excellent collection of aerials is key. Getting that extra % with a nair or a sourspotted uair can make all the difference when you go in for that fair/bair finisher. Also, he has a really fast startup on his dash, which lets him short hop really far. It can be a bit of a pain when you don't want to move, but when you need to quickly advance towards your opponent with an aerial jamming the control stick in the desired direction then quickly jumping is often the best way to do it. When you interrupt the start of his dash with a jump he goes way farther and faster than when you jump out of his run.
On another note, it also helps to fastfall everything (except fair!). He can really move when he is fastfalling a lot, and when you don't fastfall it kills a lot of his momentum because he kind of floats around.
Just my thoughts!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Going back to his "feel", I have a lot of similar problems with this. Like I can qd and can take advantage of options out of qd and everything but in general he feels disjointed and clunky. What am I missing to get him all silky smooth?
I guess another way to ask this is how does a good Ike keep up momentum as compared to other characters? I love the feel of like a Mario or Marth where your flow is dictated by your ability to waveland/wd but with Ike I feel like the qd is just a little too slow to make it fluid after waveland, wd, or fast fall. Is there anything I'm missing here?
QD has about 9 frames of start-up, so I wouldn't recommend using it as a primary movement option unless you intend on feinting out your opponent, grabbing them, or attacking them in some way. Ike has a slightly longer jumpsquat than Marth/Mario, so wavedashing with him may feel clunkier than those two, but what really appeals to me is how much aerial speed he gets when he runs and short-hops; this allows him to combo better than other heavy characters and do cool shenanigans out of QD. Try using QD less and utilizing more standard forms of movement; QD by nature gives Ike speed in bursts of time, whereas his regular movement speed is much more constant.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Ike's dash dance is fantastic, try utilising that more if his movement feels clunky.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
definitely agree with jolteon. ike's dash dance is great and should be your primary form of movement. you should use qd to close distance for a whiff punish or for comboing but rarely should it be used for straight up neutral game positioning.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I know this thread is probably outdated, since 2.6b's out and fixed some Ike stuff (Nair, I gathered) but to me, Ike feels awesome. There's nothing quite like landing a solid smash or fair with him. I don't really have an opinion on the topic, but when I hear people complain about how "smashes in Brawl don't sound like smashes", the first thing I think is "Have you heard Ike?!" Heck, he felt right to me in Brawl (in the days when I was unenlightened.) In P:M, he was truly perfected, by being completely and utterly broken in 2.1 by speeding him up where it matters without making him some kind of crazy speed demon. He feels right, a reasonably steady, deliberate, solid heavy hitter with surprising bursts of agility in his back pocket and brutal punishes, whose sheer force you can't stand up to.

IKE SMASH.

Top Bottom