• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's Not All, Volks! John Raimi from Geist.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Wonks even remembers this thread lol.
Of couse I do! :D I'm so excited right now that the thread's been reopen I can't even tell you! I always checked back every couple of months--just in case.

I've still been championing Raimi for Smash (Miiverse, official Smash ballot, etc). I'll create a list of supporters as soon as I get the chance.

Thank you again, everyone! :)

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Of couse I do! :D I'm so excited right now that the thread's been reopen I can't even tell you! I always checked back every couple of months--just in case.

I've still been championing Raimi for Smash (Miiverse, official Smash ballot, etc). I'll create a list of supporters as soon as I get the chance.

Thank you again, everyone! :)
I told someone I would get it reopened and I followed through. btw, have you added me in the support list?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I told someone I would get it reopened and I followed through. btw, have you added me in the support list?
Oh, you! :nervous:
I blame @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy for getting me hyped up about the idea again when I know full well it won't happen.....

Though I recently learned something interesting.
Apparently Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the DS has credits data for "Geist DS", implying that n-Space was working on a port of the Gamecube game or a sequel at some point.
Here is the information on The Cutting Room Floor (direct link doesn't work due to parenthesis).
I'm sorry, but it's an actual fact that John would have a killer moveset no matter what.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I blame @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy for getting me hyped up about the idea again when I know full well it won't happen.....

Though I recently learned something interesting.
Apparently Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the DS has credits data for "Geist DS", implying that n-Space was working on a port of the Gamecube game or a sequel at some point.
Here is the information on The Cutting Room Floor (direct link doesn't work due to parenthesis).
Yeah, I guess. DS Geist might've been pretty cool.
In 2012, one of the employees at n-Space said they would love to work on a new Geist. It really was just wistful thinking on his part, as nothing ever came of it.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/n_space_would_love_to_work_on_a_new_geist_title

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I still don't know why Nintendo, even through all of the FPS craze, has yet to revive the series. I understand it's not a very "Nintendo" title but c'mon they're trying to appeal more and more to the hardcore gamer base. The easiest way to do that is to have a viable exclusive first person shooter on your platform.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I still don't know why Nintendo, even through all of the FPS craze, has yet to revive the series. I understand it's not a very "Nintendo" title but c'mon they're trying to appeal more and more to the hardcore gamer base. The easiest way to do that is to have a viable exclusive first person shooter on your platform.
Geist could be Nintendo's staple shooter game to appeal to those "HARDCORE" gamers, and they could have the cool possessing thing be a unique mechanic no other shooter has.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm throwing in my support too, I've been wanting this guy since before Brawl. The possession mechanic would be a great gimmick to include.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I created a Raimi Mii Fighter some time ago.
Here's a breakdown of his looks, moves, and a few pictures, as well:

Raimi is of a medium build and slightly taller than average stature. His shirt is orange, as it is in the game. His hair is brownish-red and similar to a crew-cut. Nose is average/default. He's got a defined, Heston-esque chin. His eyes are focused, but there's a hint of doubt and fear in them. In the game, Raimi doesn't show a ton of emotion--especially considering he's without his body for the majority of his adventure, so I thought the horizontal/default mouth worked best.

After his spirit was separated, Raimi received a "17" tattoo on his left neck (indicating his body would be the 17th used for the spectral operatives). While I really wanted to have something like this on his Mii, the best I could do (at this point) was have a beauty mark positioned on the lower side of his face.

Regarding his Mii Figher outfit, he's a Gunner, of course. I thought the "steampunk getup" for an outfit most closely resembled his actual outfit in Geist, with all the accessories, and the vest looks somewhat similar to his chest protector. (Plus, it reminded me a bit of a riveter, whom Raimi possessed in Geist.) Additionally, there's a few strange, prototype guns/weapons in Geist, so I thought the steampunk gun fit the bill nicely.

As far as moves go, his standard special is the grenade launch, which is as close as you can get in my OP regarding a "spirit grenade," which temporarily knocks the spirit out of your opponent to slow them down.

The side special is the stealth burst...because, well, ghosts are invisible more-or-less, so it just seemed to fit.

For the up special, I've gone back and forth between the lunar launch and the arm rocket, but really, any up special would do.

Lastly, the down special is the absorbing vortex. It has an ethereal quality to it, and it reminded me of Raimi being able to suck the lift out of plants in Geist in order to keep his spirit "alive" (for lack of a better term) while in ghost form.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I created a Raimi Mii Fighter some time ago.
Here's a breakdown of his looks, moves, and a few pictures, as well:

Design: Raimi is of a medium build and slightly taller than average stature. His shirt is orange, as it is in the game. His hair is brownish-red and similar to a crew-cut. Nose is average/default. He's got a defined, Heston-esque chin. His eyes are focused, but there's a hint of doubt and fear in them. In the game, Raimi doesn't show a ton of emotion--especially considering he's without his body for the majority of his adventure, so I thought the horizontal/default mouth worked best.

After his spirit was separated, Raimi's neck received a "17" tattoo on his left neck (indicating his body would be the 17th used for the spectral operatives). While I really wanted to have something like this on his Mii, the best I could do (at this point) was have a beauty mark positioned on the lower side of his face.

Regarding his Mii Figher outfit, he's a Gunner, of course. I thought the "steampunk getup" for an outfit most closely resembled his actual outfit in Geist, with all the accessories, and the vest looks somewhat similar to his chest protector. (Plus, it reminded me a bit of a riveter, whom Raimi possessed in Geist.) Additionally, there's a few strange, prototype guns/weapons in Geist, so I thought the steampunk gun fit the bill nicely.

As far as moves go, his standard special is the grenade launch, which is as close as you can get in my OP regarding a "spirit grenade," which temporarily knocks the spirit out of your opponent to slow them down.

The side special is the stealth burst...because, well, ghosts are invisible more-or-less, so it just seemed to fit.

For the up special, I've gone back and forth between the lunar launch and the arm rocket, but really, any up special would do.

Lastly, the down special is the absorbing vortex. It has an ethereal quality to it, and it reminded me of Raimi being able to suck the lift out of plants in Geist in order to keep his spirit "alive" (for lack of a better term) while in ghost form.
Its pretty good. I thought spectral John was more blue than purple though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to make a few replies here:
Geist could be Nintendo's staple shooter game to appeal to those "HARDCORE" gamers, and they could have the cool possessing thing be a unique mechanic no other shooter has.
If the game were ever to be given new life, I'd like to see it focus less on exploration and more on action.
You're right--if the game was in the hands of the right development team, and Nintendo marketed it properly, the game could truly be the marquee FPS of Nintendo. However, with the success of Splatoon, Nintendo has shown that you don't need to have a gritty shooter to appeal to the masses. I think because of that, the chances of Geist ever becoming a headline title is extremely low.
I support.
I'm throwing in my support too, I've been wanting this guy since before Brawl. The possession mechanic would be a great gimmick to include.
Consider yourselves updated in the support list. :grin:
Its pretty good. I thought spectral John was more blue than purple though.
It may be more of a blue'ish-purple and not as dense as my drawing. (My artistic skills are average at best.)

Thanks again everyone, and by the look of the poll that BluePikmin posted, Raimi could could use all the help he can get.

Also, I made a brief updated in the OP. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could add or omit, please let me know.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Love all your hard work content. If only something alike can happen with Marth and Roy, but with John and Alexandra over at Japan so people can know her better.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Love all your hard work content. If only something alike can happen with Marth and Roy, but with John and Alexandra over at Japan so people can know her better.
Alexandra? Like the one from Eternal Darkness? Pious seems cooler to me. But anyway. Geist didn't release in Japan which is weird since it released like everywhere else. Hopefully, Japan finds out about it. (What's up with Japan not knowing any Murica exclusive games? We find out about theirs. Step up your game Japan.)

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Alexandra? Like the one from Eternal Darkness? Pious seems cooler to me. But anyway. Geist didn't release in Japan which is weird since it released like everywhere else. Hopefully, Japan finds out about it. (What's up with Japan not knowing any Murica exclusive games? We find out about theirs. Step up your game Japan.)
Yeah her, but of course Pious also falls in this case, same for all of Nintendo's western characters on which oddly Mike Jones fits despite being made in Japan lol. (For western audiences I know).

Sorry for saying it as cruel as it sounds, but the Japanese do seem to show some racism towards vg western characters.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yeah her, but of course Pious also falls in this case, same for all of Nintendo's western characters on which oddly Mike Jones fits despite being made in Japan lol. (For western audiences I know).

Sorry for saying it as cruel as it sounds, but the Japanese do seem to show some racism towards vg western characters.
Yeah, I've noticed that.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've been gone for too long...

This thread ain't doing so hot anymore. :urg:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I've been gone for too long...

This thread ain't doing so hot anymore. :urg:
Well, Raimi is a bit of an esoteric character, so I'm actually quite pleased with the reception he's received.
If you want to see a thread graveyard, check out my two other character suggestions:

Sakura Samurai: http://smashboards.com/threads/hi-ho-cherry-oh-sakura-samurai-for-smash.346818/
Altered Beast: http://smashboards.com/threads/i-love-you-youre-perfect-now-change-altered-beast-for-smash.416213/

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, Raimi is a bit of an esoteric character, so I'm actually quite pleased with the reception he's received.
If you want to see a thread graveyard, check out my two other character suggestions:

Sakura Samurai: http://smashboards.com/threads/hi-ho-cherry-oh-sakura-samurai-for-smash.346818/
Altered Beast: http://smashboards.com/threads/i-love-you-youre-perfect-now-change-altered-beast-for-smash.416213/
Oh, man I actually support the Sakura Samurai! I just thought Takamaru would have a better chance...It's too bad you didn't reopen the thread. I would have thrown in my support for the guy!
(BTW, as a joke, I always referred to the Samurai as, get this......SAKAmaru!:grin:)

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
He's Alright, I like him

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I do hope John gets noticed.
If it's only a passing consideration by someone at the development team, I'd be appreciative of it.
That's probably his best shot.
I think you're right.

I'm not sure how this ballot is going to go. If it's an alphabetized listing of the character's name and videogame title (to show the variety of characters to browse through), there's a chance. If it's a popularity contest, he doesn't stand a shot.

Thank you again to everyone for their support in this thread. I guess we'll just have to keep on watching.

;)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
If it's only a passing consideration by someone at the development team, I'd be appreciative of it.

I think you're right.

I'm not sure how this ballot is going to go. If it's an alphabetized listing of the character's name and videogame title (to show the variety of characters to browse through), there's a chance. If it's a popularity contest, he doesn't stand a shot.

Thank you again to everyone for their support in this thread. I guess we'll just have to keep on watching.

;)
Dirty dirty Wonks Wonks . Even if Raimi doesn't get in Smash, well at least we tried you know. Plus, Sakurai doesn't just pick popular characters, just ask Chrom :(

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord

I think you're right.

;)
Odd on how that is Japanese humor despised by SJW.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Damn shame it's all getting closed down. Surely there will be news to break sooner rather than later about DLC.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Firstly, sincere apologies for the double post.

Secondly, I went ahead and took it upon myself to remake this thread (mostly using Wonks Wonks 's assets) in the group run by @oni333. Here's a link for it!

Lastly, Wonks Wonks , I only did this in your place to go ahead and get one in the group. If ever you want it returned to you, do not hesitate to ask. I will be sure to have it transferred to you.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
The character discussion boards are closing in a week. Wonks Wonks you should probably join and or make the John Raimi thread over at http://smashboards.com/social-forums/predefined-role-character-support.1812/

Hit up oni333 with a request to join.
I had no idea it was closing!
Secondly, I went ahead and took it upon myself to remake this thread (mostly using Wonks Wonks 's assets) in the group run by @oni333. Here's a link for it!

Lastly, Wonks Wonks , I only did this in your place to go ahead and get one in the group. If ever you want it returned to you, do not hesitate to ask. I will be sure to have it transferred to you.
No, that's okay--it won't be necessary. I appreciate you continuing this thread. You may be able to make any adjustments or changes more readily than I. If it weren't for you and POKEMANSPIKA, I would have never known this was closing.

Top Bottom