• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's right - Meowth for Smash Switch

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather have Meowth by himself but that's just me, other than Jesse and James summoning him.

As for his moveset, idk really. Maybe give em Slash, Fury Swipes, Payback and Thunderbolt for funzies.
Make his grabs Bite and Scratch combos.

Final Smash could just be Pay Day by himself or a Team Rocket Triple Finish with Arbok's Poison Sting, Weezing's Sludge and Meowth's Pay Day!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd like to see him not really play like a Pokemon at all. I am not fully sure of the solution to make him unique, other than perhaps some level of trapping or even mecha as a final smash.

Maybe the solution is to make him feel like a Pokemon catcher. That would possibly allow that aspect of gameplay (catching pokemon) but in a way that feels related to kidnapping, as he is known.

Id love for his death animation to get a special blasting off nod when he goes the back way.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
let me show my support for everyone's favorite kitty!

he should have BEEN in smash :'^(

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
Do you pledge your loyalty to Team Rocket? (you gonna have ta change your avatar to a Meowth)

Just messin with ya!

Meowth being in Smash is way waaaaaaaay over due. Him and Pikachu were like THE mascots for the anime back in the day. He was like the bad guy's Pikachu you know? Not to mention one's a mouse Pokemon and the other a cat Pokemon.......can't believe I've just figured that out.

Anyway, with Smash taking inspiration from the anime with the Pokemon saying their names, it's even more mind boggling that he wasn't at least in Melee.

Give me that Brooklyn accented kitty cat Sakurai!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Anyway, with Smash taking inspiration from the anime with the Pokemon saying their names, it's even more mind boggling that he wasn't at least in Melee.

That’s the thing. Anime Meowth was in Melee... as a trophy. A trophy you get by clearing All-Star Mode with all 25 characters. :(

Last edited:

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
Meowth being in Smash is way waaaaaaaay over due. Him and Pikachu were like THE mascots for the anime back in the day. He was like the bad guy's Pikachu you know? Not to mention one's a mouse Pokemon and the other a cat Pokemon.......can't believe I've just figured that out.

I know rite! I already gave my opinion on how they could've went about it.

He's Pikachu's opposite thru and thru to reverse numbers, cat and mouse and hero vs villain!

Know what, I'm starting to think there's an agenda against Meowth! There's really no excuse! What the hell else could it be!?

I think they only wanted that yellow rat the only mascot so that there's no competition if ya ask me

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am now hyped for Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee!

Team Rocket from the anime are actually in the games! See?!

1531448119729.png

Skip to 0:54

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
After reading some comments in the General Smash Ultimate thread, I'm here to show support to Meowth. Totally convinced me that Team Rocket should be represented in some way. Though, I'd like to see him as a Rocket Trainer's Pokemon, like Pokemon Trainer. Still, Meowth is one of the few Pokemon that has as much screen time as Pikachu when it comes to the anime.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
After reading some comments in the General Smash Ultimate thread, I'm here to show support to Meowth. Totally convinced me that Team Rocket should be represented in some way. Though, I'd like to see him as a Rocket Trainer's Pokemon, like Pokemon Trainer. Still, Meowth is one of the few Pokemon that has as much screen time as Pikachu when it comes to the anime.
Welcome to Team Rocket! Our goal is to get Meowth in Smash as a playable fighter so he can steal the Twerp’s Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Pikachu.

Rocket Trainer is something I have been thinking of lately.

The fighter name would be “Team Rocket” just like “Pokémon Trainer” but the actual playable fighter is Meowth.

Meowth would either be a solo fighter like Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard... or he could be a team fighter like Rosalina & Luma, Ice Climbers, or Duck Hunt.

If Meowth is a team fighter, then he could team up with Arbok and Weezing. Down+B would switch between Arbok and Weezing.

:052::024:
B: Pay Day

Side+B: Arbok uses Wrap then Meowth uses Fury Swipes on the constricted opponent

Up+B: Meowth rides on Arbok and it uses Coil to jump high (similar to Rattly the Rattlesnake from Donkey Kong Country 2)

Down+B: switch to Weezing

:052::110:
B: Pay Day

Side+B: Weezing floats ahead and uses Poison Gas to poison the air and when it bumps into an opponent it does what it did in Melee

Up+B: Meowth rides on Weezing and it uses Sludge to launch up (similar to Squirtle’s Up+B or Greninja’s Up+B)

Down+B: switch to Arbok

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Similar to Houndstooth, I also got convinced for Meowth, it was really Arcadenik comment's that made me want this character in, a pokemon trainer like character with team rocket meowth arbok and weezing would be so awesome, and we don't really have a pokemon villain in smash(if you don't count mewtwo, because really he's more of a neutral character). So hey, he may be deconfirmed now, but if there's a smash ballot, you can count me in for my vote.

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
I'm really glad you guys here.

I went to a Gamestop last month at the mall to talk Meowth/Team Rocket for Smash but I got discouraged. Dude at the register was such a jack**s. He and his buddy next to him went all meme on me with Walugi and his Looney Tune friend said "I think Meowth should control Team Rocket and throw them out in Pokeballs."

People are saying this might be Sakurai's last Smash or that "Never Ask For Anything Again" thing.

I'm really losing hope here. I don't do social media as it is and I thought this would be kinda fun but I dunno anymore..

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There are at least three options we can go with Meowth.

Plan A - Meowth (standalone fighter)

Plan B - Team Rocket (Meowth & Arbok and Meowth & Weezing teams)

Plan C - Team Rocket (Meowth & Wobbuffet team)

Plan A is clearly not happening. So our next best bet is Plan B.

My reasons?

Team Rocket with Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing were actually in the games. Pokémon Yellow in 1998 and now Pokémon Let’s Go in 2018. Team Rocket is finally relevant in the games!

Now we must strike while the iron is hot! We must get on social media and tell Nintendo and especially Pokémon Company we want the Team Rocket trio to be in more games.

Generic Team Rocket Grunts? Pfft! We don’t need them. We have THE Team Rocket. We must try to convince Pokémon Company to keep Jessie, James, and Meowth relevant in the Pokémon games. They will always be relevant in the anime but we need them in the games so Meowth and Team Rocket would hopefully get more supporters.

Also, Team Rocket with Meowth and Wobbuffet were not in the games (yet) so that’s why I am going with Plan B.

Regarding Plan B, Meowth is the main fighter and Team Rocket can switch between two teams: :052::024: and :052::110:

Why is Meowth the main fighter? Why are there two teams? Why not switch between Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing like Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard?

Because Arbok and Weezing don’t have limbs so how are they going to function as Smash fighters? Meowth is the only one with limbs.

And also because it fits with Team Rocket’s motto.

Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!
Meowth! That’s right!

See that? Double trouble!

I also don’t mind Ekans and Koffing instead of Arbok and Weezing if the Smash development team want Meowth’s teammates to have simplified models. That’s cool with me. :052::023: and :052::109:

Speaking of simplified models, Plan C is that. Just Meowth and Wobbuffet. No switching Pokémon. Reduced workload for the Smash development team. :052::202:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Arbok's grab would be really cool, he would like wrap around the opponent and squeeze them tight while meowth scratches out their eyes, it really makes sense for them to be using two pokemon at a time since team rocket never played by the rules, would make for a really good character portrayal.
Another cool nod to the anime they could do is that there alternate costumes would be references to their various disguises throughout the years.
If they wanted to, they could even go as far as to give them a sun and moon styled team with Mimiku, Mareanie and of course Meowth, by doing this they also including the fan favorite Mimiku, they would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
For a Team Rocket Trainer, I would love to have two of them out, one female and one male. That way, you could use the standard "Grunt" look but maybe do some alts that make them look like Jessie and James. Plus, I'd want to see alternate colors to go with Team Magma, Aqua, etc., etc. Seems like it would be easy.

I wouldn't mind a three switch team like the Pokemon Trainer does. But, yeah, Meowth has to be a part of it.

CatTastic CatTastic , don't let people get you down. Some people are just mean to be mean. But, don't let people stop you from supporting a character that you like. I love Geno, and I have supported him for 10+ years. You just gotta ignore the bad and have fun with others who support the character that you like as well.

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
If you want my opinion, already gave it so Plan A) for me.

Using other Pokemon just looks way too cheesy and defeats Meowth's purpose in my eyes.

Yeah sure the anime but only use Team Rocket as his push/hype and nostalgia but remember we need Meowth's actual game mechanics/attacks to justify his roster placement so he should be fighting with his own paws.

Houndstooth Houndstooth thanks bro. Hey is it alright if I message ya? (just trying to keep this thread on topic)

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to the anime, Meowth is definitely one of my favorites. I just love his accent. I support!

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to change my stance on his moveset.

Samething I typed at the top of the page but I'm removing Payback and Thunderbolt. Meowth like Lucario, needs a counter attack and recovery move so choices are Fake Out and Feint Attack unless you'd count Double Team for counter.

He has to use Fury Swipes as his charge attack by holding the B button and Slash as his B Right or Left. So his recovery is obviously B Up and counter B Down.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I definitely do support this as much as I don't care so much for Pokemon. Here's why:

- I want cats in Smash. We got a dog, bird, and even a Fox. How do we not have Japan's most popular animal? besides, I love my cats. Jibanyan being a cat is the sole reason I support him wholeheartedly for Smash

- We need villians. At least 4 villians. A lot of these heroes have no rivaly. Yes, we have Mewtwo but it was a rival for like one movie and only exists to promote the movie. Why cant we have a villian to promote the ENTIRE POKEMON ANIME? So how about Meowth to do that for you?

As much as I don't want gen 1 pokemon anymore this is the only time when I think we should get another gen 1. Maybe replace that dreaded Jigglypuff/Pokemon trainer with Meowth. Jigglypuff because it's outdated and Red because they are taking 3 gen 1 pokemon with them. What the heck?

Last edited:

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
Hey do you guys agree with me that the 4 pillars of Pokemon are Pikachu, Meowth, Pokemon Trainer and Mewtwo?

Seriously these guys should be there no matter what like Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Bowser.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hey do you guys agree with me that the 4 pillars of Pokemon are Pikachu, Meowth, Pokemon Trainer and Mewtwo?

Seriously these guys should be there no matter what like Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Bowser.
Meowth/Team Rocket is probably how I would word that one. Or add Team Rocket on the end, at least. Mewtwo is a direct result of them being evil.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250

It's a bit different between those franchises, for Mario all its characters are usually established as the ones they'll use for almost every game as the main cast while with Pokemon, it's more so they have a ton of characters and monsters they focus on, even Pikachu isn't always the focus, though the catch is just how much they give them appearances (albeit small) and other things I am honestly unsure how to word. Pokemon doesn't have a set main focus every game so it's up for the player to choose what Monster to focus on.

That said those still happen to be largely marketed characters, often used in merch, spin-offs and etc. People may say Meowth isn't exactly a lead in the games like the Mario characters are, but that same applies to the Pokemon playable in Smash (Even Pokemon Trainer to an extent, granted this is one of the best ways they can represent the concept of one), which is what makes it so hard to pick a rep for it in the first place. But with how much Meowth stands out compared to all the other ones thanks to how iconic, marketable he's been, appearances/references in games here and there, this definitely makes him a Smash contender. Which is why I feel he'd be a good way to rep part of the games that has yet to be represented: The villainous teams.
He's more or less similar to how Pikachu in a way (though obviously to a lesser extent with how huge Pikachu) in how he represents some things without actually being the focus character unlike how Mario is for all Mario games. And in marketing and etc, Pikachu and Meowth have been portrayed as rivals/counterparts of sorts:

And etc, also notable to note he was used as one of the mascots for one of the Pokemon Centers in Japan.
Honestly I feel one big reason people often decline the idea is that they can't envision him as a fighter because they're too focused on just the fully evolved Mons (such as Decidueye, not saying it's a bad request) and can only imagine how one of such could work, they usually dislike Jigglypuff or if they don't, I haven't seen a good reason on why he can't exactly work as a fighter. They're not remembering; Pokemon has no concrete set main character, just very reccuring and ones that represent each different things, Decidueye is just a popular Pokemon out of many in Sun and Moon, it represents it well because of the way it has been marketed lately and etc making it a good rep for repping this part of Pokemon. That same can be said for Meowth who has been used in a lot of marketing, spin-offs and etc. It's similar to Fire Emblem.
People shouldn't think so black or white, otherwise all our Pokemon reps would be Pikachu + fully evolved Mons only.

It's fine if people don't want him, I just don't think "He's lame/only icon to the anime" is a valid argument especially as they let Jigglypuff go by, and it's subjective anyway, not everyone finds Wario interesting while they may find Marth interesting; I don't find Greninja too interesting despite being my starter in XY while I would be all over Meowth. But Greninja is fine because he's a respectable choice for what he represents, even if not to my liking. The gen 1 overep can be an issue, but a lot of characters people want have some things going against them.

Well there's my take, was unsure how to word this honestly, I don't consider myself a good writer, but I hope I did an alright job at least.

Last edited:

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
Ok sure, Meowth/Team Rocket.

Yes I know it's different from the Mario Bros series, this is just Pokemon characters/representation in the world of Smash Bros.

People may not like those 4 pillars of Pokemon as they are all Gen 1 but that's the point, if it wasn't for them none of these other Mon wouldn't be here today.

They represent Pokemon history, game and anime. I was there in the beginning. I saw them achieve rockstar status from the gate. So for them to say "too many Gen 1's" and "I don't like that character, he's dumb" is straight up blasphemy and disrespectful to the creators ' original intent.

These 4 deserve every ounce of respect and should remain in Smash Bros history as playable fighters, no excuses.

Any other Pokemon they can always swap for newer ones to promote for new generations.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Did anyone else notice during King K. Rool's trailer, when they were showcasing most of the original 8 characters everyone had a rival with the exception of :ultpikachu:and :ultyoshi:?
I'm honestly so glad they didn't showcase Pikachu fighting another Pokemon, doesn't mean everything for us of course but it's nice to see they still haven't associated any Pokemon in Smash as Pikachu's rival.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Did anyone else notice during King K. Rool's trailer, when they were showcasing most of the original 8 characters everyone had a rival with the exception of :ultpikachu:and :ultyoshi:?
I'm honestly so glad they didn't showcase Pikachu fighting another Pokemon, doesn't mean everything for us of course but it's nice to see they still haven't associated any Pokemon in Smash as Pikachu's rival.
That’s true.

And Mimikyu could have been Pikachu’s rival in that little montage but it’s a Pokeball Pokemon too.

If Meowth was in Smash as a playable fighter, he would certainly be shown as Pikachu’s rival.

Meowth’s trailer should show Pikachu vs Meowth and Pokemon Trainer vs Team Rocket.

The character could be “Team Rocket” but the playable fighter is Meowth with Arbok and Weezing as part of Meowth’s moveset.

1533756960799.png

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
So how's the "Meowth Train" on social media? Any followers? Did Sakurai see anything he liked?

I know for a fact IGN and Kotaku are both pro Meowth judging from past articles.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
That’s true.

And Mimikyu could have been Pikachu’s rival in that little montage but it’s a Pokeball Pokemon too.

If Meowth was in Smash as a playable fighter, he would certainly be shown as Pikachu’s rival.

Meowth’s trailer should show Pikachu vs Meowth and Pokemon Trainer vs Team Rocket.

The character could be “Team Rocket” but the playable fighter is Meowth with Arbok and Weezing as part of Meowth’s moveset.

View attachment 156363
Yeah, Pikachu and Yoshi, two of the original eight, weren't in that sequence with a "Rival" or "Villain." I thought that was very interesting. Seems like Mewtwo is usually thought of as the Pokemon villain, but they didn't put him there. I really would like to see Team Rocket be the villain for the Pokemon series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So how's the "Meowth Train" on social media? Any followers? Did Sakurai see anything he liked?

I know for a fact IGN and Kotaku are both pro Meowth judging from past articles.
It is going okay, I guess. I only have like 10 followers on Twitter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Team Rocket for Smash! :052::024::110:

If Sakurai doesn't find a standalone Meowth unique enough... then perhaps he might find Meowth teamed with Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing unique enough.

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
It is going okay, I guess. I only have like 10 followers on Twitter.
Arc you got guts I'll give ya that.
Twitter is one tough crowd, the global audience and the real money maker.

It sure ain't easy but I'll tell ya, here you're doing a fine job and these Smash players seem to like ya if that says much.

What would Team Rocket do? There's gotta be a way.. It's do or die. This right here is our best shot with all that Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu dealio.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What would Team Rocket do? There's gotta be a way.. It's do or die. This right here is our best shot with all that Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu dealio.
Think! What can Ekans/Arbok do? What can Koffing/Weezing do? Maybe they can assist Meowth in some moves. You know, like how Toad assists Peach in some moves... or they could work together as a team how the Duck Hunt Duck and Duck Hunt Dog work together as a team!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Think! What can Ekans/Arbok do? What can Koffing/Weezing do? Maybe they can assist Meowth in some moves. You know, like how Toad assists Peach in some moves... or they could work together as a team how the Duck Hunt Duck and Duck Hunt Dog work together as a team!
I want Jessie and James in the background of Meowth like what Pokemon Trainer does. Also they should be in his victory pose and when Meowth gets knocked off screen (the specific one where they appear in the background of the stage) he should say "I'm blasting off again".

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sounds fun!

I was thinking about how Toad appears in Peach's grabs and throws. Maybe Ekans or Arbok could appear in Meowth's grabs and throws. The snake Pokémon could wrap around the opponent and then Meowth would scratch the opponent before launching them.

CatTastic

Smash Apprentice
Arc I meant on Twitter.

What would they do to get more followers and get them likes up?

Lol don't be so quick to bust out the catnip and chow down on tuna!

If anybody has ideas for social media I'd like to hear em.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I use the same hashtag every time I tweet about Meowth or Team Rocket.

Oh yeah. I also made this.

challenger approaching Team Rocket.png

Last edited:

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie
Some stuff to consider:

1) Three* games would've been in some varyig degree of development/release circa 2015 when the game's design document was being made: Sun and Moon, Pokemon Go (Wave 1) and Let's Go Pikachu and Evee.

2) Meowth is very prominent in all three games (alolan form, common catchable launch day pokemon, and villain)

3) Villans and filling series gaps with echos seem to be the big thing this time around.

4) Even if Vergben was right about Incineroar (and given that Pokemon's popularity in japan I think he is). We tend to see Pokemon come in pairs:

64- Pikachu and Jigglypuff

Melee- Mewtwo and Pichu

Brawl- Pokemon Trainer and Lucario

3DS/WII- Greninja and a heavily revamped solo Charizard (and revamped Mewtwo but DLC wasn't planned initially as far as we know)

5) If they wanted to represent alolan forms as a form of advertisement for Sun and Moon(and the ultra retellings) then a having a recognizable Pokemon and an alolan echo is a great way of showing off the concept to those not in the know.

Top Bottom