• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier List

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Since the old thread seems to be glitching, here's a remake.

Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

High Tier:
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Here's a link to the old thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81928

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Well, going off the of the final discussions in the old thread and the new thread. It's basically agreed:

Top:
1. Fox/Marth/Sheik

Falco:
2. Falco

High:
etc...

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Falco is unanimously 4th, but he's not necessarily far enough below the other 3 to warrant his own tier. Pikachu is better than the rest of low tier (assuming Link/Luigi/DK move up), and worse than all of mid tier. Thus, he is top of low tier (not "Pikachu tier").

Edit --

High:
Peach/Falcon (contested)
Jiggs/Ice Climbers

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
OH GOD THIS ONE HAS AN EXTRA PAGE TOO!!

j/k

Im in full support of top spot being shared and Falco having his own tier but I also think that the tiers need to be better defined, i.e each tier represents the likelihood of a character in said tier winning a tournament. This makes the actual spots less important than the placement.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
It's generally agreed that Falco is 4th, but he's not necessarily far enough below the other 3 to warrant his own tier. Pikachu is better than the rest of low tier (assuming Link/Luigi/DK move up), but not good enough to claim a spot in mid tier. Thus, he is top of low tier (not "Pikachu tier").
I'm going off of what I, PinkReaper and what quite a few others have been feeling. That there really is a distinct gap between the top 3 and Falco enough to warrent a Tier. But Falco is definitely a step above Peach/Falcon/ICs/Jiggs etc..

Falco really doesn't deserve to be in either group. But if I had to mesh him in one just because "zomg he can't have his own tier" then it'd be Top.

GofG

Smash Champion
I've always been confused as to why Ness is this low. He's better than GaW for sure, at least.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Does DK have any bad matchups (worse than like 60-40) other than Falco and Sheik?

OH GOD THIS ONE HAS AN EXTRA PAGE TOO!!

j/k

Im in full support of top spot being shared and Falco having his own tier but I also think that the tiers need to be better defined, i.e each tier represents the likelihood of a character in said tier winning a tournament. This makes the actual spots less important than the placement.
I agree. Tier placement should be more important than character order. I don't care much about the character order, and I don't think there will ever be an agreed consensus on exact order. Not that an exact order should be attempted, but the characters should be put into tiers based on their ratio to bad and good Matchups, and likelyhood of winning a big tournament.

I also think Link and Pikachu, should not be moved up to mid tier as someone mentioned. They have too many "get *****" match ups against Top Tier. They do fine against some of the high and mid tier characters, though, and they are a notch above the rest of low tier, so I say put them in their own tier, and throw Young Link in there, as well, because he has decent matchups against mid tier, too.
An example:

Upper Middle Tier(no particular order)
Samus
Ganon
Luigi
Doctor Mario
Mario
Donkey Kong

Lower Middle Tier(no particular order)
Link
Pikachu
Young Link

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Basically everyone agrees now on what the Top of the tier list looks like (sheik/fox/marth, then falco half a tier under in falco tier, then everyone else), and that's the most important part of it. When will this actually become part of the "official" tier list? Is it ever going to be updated? And if not, then what's the point of reopening the discussion thread?

>.>

Deathknight

Smash Ace
This is what I think it should be:
Top:
Marth
Fox

High:
Falco
Peach
Sheik

Mid:
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Doctor Mario
Mario

Low:
DK
Link
Luigi
Pikachu
Y. Link
Zelda

Bottom:
G&W
Roy
Ness
Mewtwo
Bowser
Pichu
Kirby

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
^

Sorry but no one really cares about your tier list unless you post your reasoning. For each spot that you have different (Sheik 5th???) post why. Otherwise it's just an extremely arbitrary post that adds nothing and takes up space.

otg

Smash Master
I'm linking people here because I feel it's the most accurate list that's been posted yet, on top of the fact that it's probably the most educated:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192222

For those who are too lazy to read it, this is M2k's tier list (copied and pasted):

Sheik
Fox
Marth
Falco

High

C.Falcon/Jiggs/Peach (I cannot decide an order, so I'll just rank them the same, even though it's probably Falcon Jiggs Peach)
Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario (he is better than Mario for winning purposes, and he is very underused and underrated)

Mid

DK/Ganon
Mario
Samus (she's very limited, I know high level Samus and she's definitely very limited and not very good outside of a few tricks at high level and her broken wavedash back)
Luigi
Pikachu
Link

Low

Y. Link
Zelda
Roy
G&W
Yoshi

Bottom

Mewtwo (taj convinced me, and after thinking it over I agree)
Pichu (up throw is the main reason esp vs fast fallers, and Nair -> Nair combos)
Bowser
Ness

If you want MUCH more detail into the tier placements, check out that link. Now my only problem is: how is Samus so low? The only thing that I can see potentially changing from this list is moving Doc to the top of Mid tier, and moving Samus into his place. Apparently, Samus at top level play isn't as good as I thought, but something still doesn't seem right about her placement being so low, and tournament results can back that.

One other thing, IMO DK > Ganon. The more I play DK and test out his matchups the more versatile I see he is. His combo tools and edgeguarding capabilities are beast, plus that chaingrab on spacies is absolutely lethal. He's my new secondary for Captain Falcon (^.^)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Does peach really win more than CF?

I think CF and peach should switch places.

CF does much better than peach can against the higher tiers and it seems that CF wins more often than peach does.

Oh well whatever.

Vts

Smash Champion
Does peach really win more than CF?

I think CF and peach should switch places.

CF does much better than peach can against the higher tiers and it seems that CF wins more often than peach does.

Oh well whatever.
i agree but then also i would say doesn't IC win more tournaments than peachs also so shouldn't IC be higher than peach?

but since peach does have float canceling she can attack way to fast even though i don't know many people who can put this to great use its what makes her higher than CF/IC and her amazing recovery.

Top Bottom