• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Alabama Power Rankings: Image=protier

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Pensacola is taking top 5 for Resist III.
Who's gonna take the ICs main out??!?

inb4Reflex
Sorry but the only IC's we lose to is Elev8. So don't worry top 5, when Al is through with you. You won't feel the warmth from the sun that day.;)

DRN

Smash Lord
Anyone from AL going to SOD9 in Georgia?
If so Kismet would like a ride and i'd like a ride back to AL after the tourney ;D

If anyone is on the verge of going but isnt sure then i'd totally pay for gas and tourney fees lol. Semi-important for me to find a ride to AL >.<

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
This is from HASL on June 25th, 2011:

So, awhile ago I wrote an elo ratings program (the rating system used in chess), and we ran it in the background of the tournament to see how it reflected everyone's results. Note that the ratings do NOT perfectly reflect the outcome of the tournament; this is due to the number of matches each player played and the rating of the people they beat (and if, when they lost, they got a 1-2 instead of a 0-2, for example).

I ran two different ratings, one counting pools and one not. The one that does not count pools is likely far more accurate.

With pools:

Brackets only:

If we continue to use this program, it will become more and more accurate the more tournament results I get to put in it (the tournaments need to record win/loss records to be put into this). I figure that if we keep using this, it could help with PR discussion and whatnot (I do mean AL PR discussion, and I know that Georgia/other state players are in this... that cannot be avoided).

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I vote keep using the program. I started to do something like that, but I was doing it all by hand, and that was a pain. One state, Texas maybe? basically uses this or something like to objectively determine their entire PR list..but the only thing it leaves out is actual tournament results which we seem to think is most important.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Hmm axing out the GA/FL peoples it would look more like

1.Billy
2. Ryk- Wait wtf? Hell no xD

Talked to Cam a bit about it yesterday, I'm sure I'll be expected to join a few skype calls sometime this week for more discussion. I guess more info will come later.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Hmm axing out the GA/FL peoples it would look more like

1.Billy
2. Ryk- Wait wtf? Hell no xD

Talked to Cam a bit about it yesterday, I'm sure I'll be expected to join a few skype calls sometime this week for more discussion. I guess more info will come later.
Shut up, you salty

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
If you guys want me to keep updating the ranks, just post the tio files from a tournament and be sure to keep track of how many matches each player wins (2-0 vs. 2-1).

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Preeeeeeeeeety sure I didn't ask for salt friendlies after a set. :troll: Plus note how Kola ranks above Mahg.
Nah, you handle salt inducing situations well. I want to watch the runback and I want to watch BOTH of you lose to me.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
So, did my score carry the **** out of AML on the one with pools? His placing on it is radically different in the two lists and mine is relatively the same.

How does ELO score actually calculate?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
EDIT: Oh wow, I'm 6th on both of those.

Anyway, as much as I like looking cool, it's not gonna be near accurate until about 3 good tournies are included. It will also benefit participation even without ELO degradation.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Mahg assumes he'd get far enough in the bracket to play me. trolololol

Jokes aside though, with you having a whole lot more people to play against, and possibly rides to tournaments now, I do expect you to regain all of that past Diddy glory you had. :3 You gots this

I still have to kill you in Soku Ryker, Brawl included obv

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
why is ryker like number 2 in those evo rankings?
they dont make sense to me.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
and like 4 people that i placed higher than are higher than me on the rankings they dont make sense to me.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Elo ratings are done on a match-by-match basis, and because of that the placement you get in a tournament does not always reflect the number of points you get (note in particular Will_'s rating; while he got third place, he is nowhere near the most points). The system factors in the rating of each person you play and (especially) lose to. If you lose to someone of a lower rank, you will lose significantly more points than if you lost to someone of equal (or higher) rank. Because this is the first tournament, everyone was at rank 1600 when I started inputting data, meaning the system though everyone was the same skill level; the more tournaments that occur, the more accurate each player's points will reflect their skill, and match-by-match win-loss records will become more accurate.

It is difficult to update points using a match-by-match system for round robin tournaments (read: pools), which is why I said that the points using only the brackets are likely more accurate.

The Elo ratings will not start being really accurate until at least 3 or so events have occurred and have been recorded. As long as you guys post win-loss records from in-state tournaments, I can input the data and the points system will eventually balance out and reflect skill more accurately.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
why is ryker like number 2 in those evo rankings?
they dont make sense to me.
and like 4 people that i placed higher than are higher than me on the rankings they dont make sense to me.
ELO takes into account the guys you lose to and who THEY in turn on lose to and who they lose to. It doesn't become completely accurate until after a few tournaments get put in, but it's the best system out there for ranking individual players mathematically.

I lost to the right people. It will iron out after a few. I'll drop, in all likelihood, with more results.

Ingulit ninja'd me with a better explanation.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Waaait did you guys add that Resist tournament too?

That reminds me, we've had 2 "Tournaments" and 1 Single Elimination practice session thingy. We're going to Update this after the Montgomery tournament most likely, and if interest seems good enough I might talk to George and host an um...Tournament at Gamebox either in September or near the end of August.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i need to see about something here in the end of july.
and if you guys wouldve played we couldve had a little legit tournament thing at the last montgomery haha

lets decide on a theme now yall!!!!!~

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Not with looking, xD It's the only thing that would fly in my house hold. I'm still bound by these chains dude.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
So close to Billy on those ELO rankings.
I'mma just count myself as part of y'all. Florida Flori**** wants nothing to do with the Panhandle. Kinda pisses me off.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Waaait did you guys add that Resist tournament too?

That reminds me, we've had 2 "Tournaments" and 1 Single Elimination practice session thingy. We're going to Update this after the Montgomery tournament most likely, and if interest seems good enough I might talk to George and host an um...Tournament at Gamebox either in September or near the end of August.
Don't use resist it had a terrible turnout. Another gamebox will be good

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
im sleepy you guys.
i wanna be top 5 on the next update. :)

im not saying im the person sleepy. im just sleepy. tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom