• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The All Elusive Dair

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I am just a naive noob, but it seems people underestimate the Dair. I realize it isn't as good of a Stall-then-fall as Falcon Kick, Kirby's brick, Sonic's Dair, Bowser bomb, and what have you.

However, I have a situation that seems to be really good for Dair. Maybe it is just me, but when someone is beneath while in the air it is a good move because it strikes twice (once in air and once on ground) and the ending lag is long, but if you do it when they are in air they lag as much as or more then you.

Anyone disagree or think this is a bad idea?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I use it on people who tend to edgefair me. Be at the edge as if to edgegaurd, jump and dair.

That and momentum canceling are really all I use it for.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
sometimes i accidentally use it but it works out well because of the 2 hits thing. also it can be a huge mind game when you're recovering from great heights, but be careful because everyone loves to edgehog you.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Its a nice move sometimes but you have to be sure of it before you throw it out there as a good player can punish you.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I rarely ever use it. However, because of that, sometimes I throw it out there just to screw around with my opponent if they know I don't use it.

SabinFigaro24

Smash Apprentice
I also use it if I'm projected very high, toward the corner of the screen, I'll use DAIR (much like you would use a falcon kick in SSBM) and then up+b tether out of it for an unpredictable recovery.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I use it occasionally, but only if my opponent has gotten used to me not using it.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
I tend to mix it in with my game quite a bit. Anytime I think they're going to try and air dodge the uptilt up air combo I'll do an Up B pull them beneath me and dair into them. It works pretty nicely if you only do it ever once in awhile.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I try to avoid using it at times, because they sometimes expect you to do it, so I surprise them with a down B afterwards >:)

GetSmashedWithTheBros

Smash Apprentice
i tend to use the dair when i'm hanging onto the edge. first i jump, but as soon as i'm in the air, i dair. it's more or less a short-hopped dair from jumping up the edge. it's not especially useful, but i find it hard to believe that people would expect it

xVRevenant

Smash Rookie
If you make the correct prediction, it is an awesome spike, plus, gotta love the double whammy, the lag is dealable and shouldn't matter if you connect.
I use it alot.
Also it's sometimes nice to combo with off of one of Zamus' paralyzing attacks and into another air usually a Dair works for me.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I really dislike dair because even with two hits, it deals less damage than her other aerials. Also, the two hits makes it incredibly hard to spike with. The first hit almost always connects to the second hit when you're trying to spike. But when you're not trying to spike, sometimes your opponent can SDI away from the second hit and punish you from there. I also hate it's duration. At least Sonic can survive his dair, but zamus can only survive if she's high enough to be almost star KO'd. I also often get hit out of the 'stall' part of the dair. Basically, it's a poor approach, bad combo starter, bad combo move, decent combo finisher, horrible KO move, and has decent mindgame potential because it sucks so badly.

Scyther3176

Smash Apprentice
its good if you are using it as a spike but even then its circumstances are risky as you can kill yourself, it doesnt do that much damage to warrant it being used due to the lag. Also, I keep accidentally pressing down on the control stick causing my to fall to my doom. Stall- Crap...I pressed it again, Fall-NOOOOOO -_-

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I try not to use it, with Sheik or ZSS, because I somehow find myself over the edge, plumeting to my doom more often than not. I wish there was a way to cancel it.

In a more direct response to your post, no, I don't really think it's that great a move. I know it hits twice, but it's very... unpredictable, yet predictable at the same time. You don't know if they will air-dodge, and if they do, then they have ample time to open whichever can of whoop-*** they may choose.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I hate when i'm on the ground near the ledge and I get hit and I want to do a dsmash when I hit down on the C-Stick and I end up SDing due to the down air.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I just realized the d air goes through snakes mortars, now thats pretty useful
sweet xD

JW, how high does ZSS have to be/where does she have to start the d-air to do a lagless landing? Sonic's spring seems too low for her apparently

Snakeee

Smash Master
sweet xD

JW, how high does ZSS have to be/where does she have to start the d-air to do a lagless landing? Sonic's spring seems too low for her apparently
She flies straight down for a LONG time. In fact, the only way you can do it off the stage without SDing is if you're way up in the hourglass o_O.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
She flies straight down for a LONG time. In fact, the only way you can do it off the stage without SDing is if you're way up in the hourglass o_O.
Yeah. It's ridiculous. Start from about the height of the cracker launcher in BTT 5.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
My friend noted on how few characters can stick their foot through a missile like ZS Samus can.
I like the D-air, it could use a little more power for the risk that comes with it though, but still, I find it a good moves, although not spammable.

Top Bottom