• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Alternate File Loader (aka "The Clone Engine")

PhRzN

Smash Rookie
yea dude im trying to get the electric blue one to run...u mean the one by ASF1nk?

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
yes and if it's something different needed for it that one would be an important one because it's the 2nd top thing in the brawl vault downloads

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
So i get what's going on here, but being the turbo-fail hack noob that I am, I have a bit of a RTFM question.

Where do I even go in the first place to manipulate/add the almas code.....

PhRzN

Smash Rookie
So i get what's going on here, but being the turbo-fail hack noob that I am, I have a bit of a RTFM question.

Where do I even go in the first place to manipulate/add the almas code.....
Go into the code editor....get it off brawlvault on kc-mm.com in their forum section.

Separate note: anyone figure out how to work this with multiple side folders? It seems it would work conceputally. If you have an idea i can try it and give feedback...

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
the only way to have another csp would be to have the code which changes your directory to mt when you hold L so then you back out and you go back to the css

matty348

Smash Rookie
So there is no way to do it so that just cycling through the csps while holding the button combo will show the ones from the other directory?

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
no and the only way to see both without it being a pain will be the clone engine, with what i do though i'd rather ignore csp's for the clone characters or if you really do care then go ahead and have them look like zelda/shiek except that you select them different

matty348

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the quick replys. I guess i just figured if i put a copy of my common_5 file under the new directory that it would load csp's off of that when i pressed the button combo instead of off of the common_5 in the pf directory but it sounds like thats not how it works. For the zelda/shiek thing if i understand you right your saying put both characters into one csp so that you can see both of them but would have to select one of them with the button combo. is that what your saying? Thanks for the help by the way.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
here is what i'm getting at if you don't want to back out to see what texture your using you would have to put both on 1 image so it would look like zelda/shiek, but you would select them like you have been, i have thought about that but it is a pain, and if you do want to back out or if you like them separate then you need to have your csp's in the sc_selcharacter.pac file because that over rights the common5.pac and also the common5.pac is loaded at the start up

mega161

Smash Rookie
I am having problems trying to get two additional textures for each stage. This is the set of codes I have so far:

Code:
Alternate File Loader [Almas]
C23FA350 00000020
90C20000 90E20004
91620008 90A2000C
90620010 91220014
91420018 9182001C
3D800004 618C86C0
3D60805A 3CA0452F
60A57066 90AB7C14
816B7C22 3C608057
60639FF0 84A30010
2C050000 4182008C
7C055800 4082FFF0
3CC04545 60C62F53
7C062800 4082001C
3D60804D 616BE4B0
A16B0000 A1430008
7C0A5800 41820050
88A30004 A1430008
39200000 A0C30006
64C68152 7CC66214
3CE0804D 60E7E4A8
39290001 7CCC3050
38E70008 2C090005
4182FF94 89660000
7C0B2800 4082FFE4
A1670000 7C0B5000
4082FFD8 A143000A
3D60805A B14B7C16
80C20000 80E20004
81620008 80A2000C
80620010 81220014
81420018 8182001C
8C040001 00000000
Code:
Alternate File Data
0657A000 00000020
45452F53 0000E27B
09804159 00000000
45452F53 0000E27B
05804158 00000000
I am suppose to press A+Y for the texture to load, and A+X for the other to load. Right now only the A+Y one is working which is the the second and third line of the Alternate File Data code. The A+X is the forth and fifth line. How do I get it to work?

brawlpwnage

Smash Rookie
"ZZZ: This is a button activator that has to be held for the alternate file to be loaded. You can set up this value by visiting this link and using the bottom tab, "Game Cube Controller Joker Generator". Once you have decided on the button activator, add 80 in Hex to it."

What do you mean by add 80 in Hex to it?

duffmmann

Smash Cadet
QUESTION:

Alright, I've had this working great now for a few months, and I've got it setup to accept alt movesets from any and all characters, and in fact, I'm only a few away from filling up all alternate characters.

Incidentally, some of the characters I have with no alternates are the characters that have different forms: Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit, and the Pokemon Trainer.

I know its only a matter of time before we see the likes of a project like Bowser Jr/Shadow Mario be completed.

And thus, my question is this, I'm almost positive the code does not adjust for this, so has anyone found a way that when you choose one of these transforming characters, that an alternate for both forms will be loaded, it would suck if when that Bowser Jr code gets released that he's only able to Alternate between Bowser Jr and Sheik or Shadow Mario and Zelda, instead of Bowser Jr and Shadow Mario.

Has this issue been addressed? Is there a solution? is anyone working on one?

Thanks for any and all help.

masamunecyrus

Smash Apprentice
It seems not too much has happened since ~finals time/beginning of summer. (I'll go ahead and apologize now for saying this) Have you looked at the code recently, Almas?

I haven't touched Brawl for some time, and with all of these new one-slot vertex hacks coming out, I thought it'd be a great time to totally update all of my Brawl stuff from scratch. I was hoping to make it nice and clean, with all of the normal brawl characters and portraits as default, but then some small labelling in the left or right corners of each character portrait to indicate an alternate texture/model when you hold L or R when selecting that character.

I've been trying the code on the first page for about 6 hours, now, and I think it's time I've given up. I saw your v2.2 version that fixed 'one, among many, bugs', but honestly I've avoided throwing my controller into the wall until now, so I'm going to quit for tonight.

I'll document all of the issues I've had, hopefully it helps your further development of this code.

I basically just started out with a proof of concept and had an alternate fitmetaknight00.pcs in a '_R' instead of 'pf' that was activated with R+A. When selecting Metaknight normally, he was normal. Now if I deselected him, held R, and then pressed and held A to select him until the Wii stopped loading, his alternate texture worked. Good!

But now, I was having some difficulty getting him back to the normal Metaknight costume without either totally exiting out of the CSS menu or starting a match as a different character. Even though it's absolutely clear when the Wii is loading the character's files, the code only inconsistently works. After a long time of trial and error (including eventually reading that I can't have two different button combinations going to two different folders), going back, redoing the code, trying different button combos, I finally got it to work consistently.

When the joker is R+A, it frequently doesn't work when hovering over a character, holding R, and then pressing and holding A. What I have to do, is hold R+A, and then press X or Y until I get to my desired costume. This isn't my favorite button combination, but it's the one that works. I've tried switching it to L, and it totally stops working alltogether. I thought well, since I'm not holding R and press and holding A to select a character (like it says in the readme), since I'm holding R AND A, and then pressing X/Y to change costumes and it's working this way, I'll just get rid of the A requirement and it'll be great! But when I set the Joker to just R, it ceases to work. I also tried setting the Joker to R+X or R+Y to no avail.

The only way it has been working is in the _R folder, with a Joker of R+A, and then after I select metaknight I have to hold down both R and A press X or Y to switch to the costume I want (holding both down as I select him in the CSS doesn't always work). Interestingly enough, I also tried changing the folder name to "ar" instead of "_R", but that make it completely stop working altogether.

By the way, it seems you needed some help with math; I'm assuming you don't need help anymore now, though, since it's the end of the semester. But if you do, PM me and I can try to help. I just graduated from Physics and moved down here to Tennessee for graduate school and brought all my old books with me -- linear algebra is one of them., and I have a few kinds of mechanics books. I'll be driving around all the time as part of my summer job, though, so I may not be around much.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
It seems not too much has happened since ~finals time/beginning of summer. (I'll go ahead and apologize now for saying this) Have you looked at the code recently, Almas?

I haven't touched Brawl for some time, and with all of these new one-slot vertex hacks coming out, I thought it'd be a great time to totally update all of my Brawl stuff from scratch. I was hoping to make it nice and clean, with all of the normal brawl characters and portraits as default, but then some small labelling in the left or right corners of each character portrait to indicate an alternate texture/model when you hold L or R when selecting that character.

I've been trying the code on the first page for about 6 hours, now, and I think it's time I've given up. I saw your v2.2 version that fixed 'one, among many, bugs', but honestly I've avoided throwing my controller into the wall until now, so I'm going to quit for tonight.

I'll document all of the issues I've had, hopefully it helps your further development of this code.

I basically just started out with a proof of concept and had an alternate fitmetaknight00.pcs in a '_R' instead of 'pf' that was activated with R+A. When selecting Metaknight normally, he was normal. Now if I deselected him, held R, and then pressed and held A to select him until the Wii stopped loading, his alternate texture worked. Good!

But now, I was having some difficulty getting him back to the normal Metaknight costume without either totally exiting out of the CSS menu or starting a match as a different character. Even though it's absolutely clear when the Wii is loading the character's files, the code only inconsistently works. After a long time of trial and error (including eventually reading that I can't have two different button combinations going to two different folders), going back, redoing the code, trying different button combos, I finally got it to work consistently.

When the joker is R+A, it frequently doesn't work when hovering over a character, holding R, and then pressing and holding A. What I have to do, is hold R+A, and then press X or Y until I get to my desired costume. This isn't my favorite button combination, but it's the one that works. I've tried switching it to L, and it totally stops working alltogether. I thought well, since I'm not holding R and press and holding A to select a character (like it says in the readme), since I'm holding R AND A, and then pressing X/Y to change costumes and it's working this way, I'll just get rid of the A requirement and it'll be great! But when I set the Joker to just R, it ceases to work. I also tried setting the Joker to R+X or R+Y to no avail.

The only way it has been working is in the _R folder, with a Joker of R+A, and then after I select metaknight I have to hold down both R and A press X or Y to switch to the costume I want (holding both down as I select him in the CSS doesn't always work). Interestingly enough, I also tried changing the folder name to "ar" instead of "_R", but that make it completely stop working altogether.

By the way, it seems you needed some help with math; I'm assuming you don't need help anymore now, though, since it's the end of the semester. But if you do, PM me and I can try to help. I just graduated from Physics and moved down here to Tennessee for graduate school and brought all my old books with me -- linear algebra is one of them., and I have a few kinds of mechanics books. I'll be driving around all the time as part of my summer job, though, so I may not be around much.
I'm fairly sure Almas quite hacking altogether, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Shipomaster

Smash Rookie
I was just thinking what Linnom was thinking. I got my clone engine working perfectly but I need alloys! Does anyone know their potrait # at least?

Xigger

Smash Lord
I was just thinking what Linnom was thinking. I got my clone engine working perfectly but I need alloys! Does anyone know their potrait # at least?
Alloys don't have portrait numbers. You have to use an Costume/Character Replacement code to replace a character slot with an alloy.

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
Crash

For some reason my Wii crashes every time I use this code.

After Gecko applies the codes and fades out, either nothing fades back in and it just stays black, or I get green static graphical errors. No sound, either way.

I've tried using values that other posters in the thread have confirmed work, in case I made a mistake, but I get the same result.

I will post my entire RSBE01 code, if requested.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be? :(

hero1771

Smash Journeyman
For some reason my Wii crashes every time I use this code.

After Gecko applies the codes and fades out, either nothing fades back in and it just stays black, or I get green static graphical errors. No sound, either way.

I've tried using values that other posters in the thread have confirmed work, in case I made a mistake, but I get the same result.

I will post my entire RSBE01 code, if requested.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be? :(
probably one fail number. you canz postz it herez

Xigger

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this is known to anyone else yet, but there are various freezing glitches when playing on a textured stage, leaving to other Brawl Menus, and freezing when returning to the character selection screen. My guess is when you used a hacked stage it is left as default and confuses the two stages. Just making sure you guys knew.

Cyan_Blau

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is known to anyone else yet, but there are various freezing glitches when playing on a textured stage, leaving to other Brawl Menus, and freezing when returning to the character selection screen. My guess is when you used a hacked stage it is left as default and confuses the two stages. Just making sure you guys knew.
Hey, I have to say, that the stages are supposed to work fine.

What is the line you used?

Also it has to be only 1 line!

But I'm not sure about the actual progress on this project.

For me only one directory works. The other maybe works if the whole code is repeated again, but maybe you will need some new free bits, because the data is just an external activator which applies the code at the coded conditions.

But you really have to ask the original coder questions like this.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Hey, I have to say, that the stages are supposed to work fine.

What is the line you used?

Also it has to be only 1 line!

But I'm not sure about the actual progress on this project.

For me only one directory works. The other maybe works if the whole code is repeated again, but maybe you will need some new free bits, because the data is just an external activator which applies the code at the coded conditions.

But you really have to ask the original coder questions like this.
Eh, you're probably right.... maybe I'd rather keep my mouth shut and avoid the trouble :urg:

ElvishSpirit

Smash Apprentice
so...Ive been wondering exactly how to do this using Riivolution. I have a single folder called
"ssbb" and I dump everything there, and the best part is, it works for characters, stages, and music. How would I be able to apply this code?

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
I'm running into a problem with this program (or the code,I'm not sure which). I named my folder pz, my controller is GCN, my button combo is AZ, and I added entities for C.Falcon and Ganondorf--as far as I know, I entered all the information into the program properly and I put the generated code in the GCT properly. For some reason, I cannot get the alternate PSA I put in the pz folder to load. I do not get any freeze, or any other error--I just get my normal PSA that's in my pf folder.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible with this to have more than 35 characters maybe 50?
And whats with fights like Marth vs. Sephirot or Ike vs. (the Cloud over Ike)?
No. This isn't a real clone engine. You cannot expand your roster. This does not allow Cloud vs Ike. What this allows you to do is, at the character select screen, choose between Cloud or Ike, not both.

So this fight I want to play as marth. Next fight I want to play as sephiroth. It can't load both files at once like the true clone engine will.

JetAurion

Smash Journeyman
Well, you can port Meta Knight, Marth, Ike, and Jiggs over most of the other characters (can't port over transforming characters or even Ice Climbers).

And apparently, PSA's that don't use any articles can also be ported.

Top Bottom