• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Arc Angels' Battle Map- The Pit Stage Guide

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
YI CONS:
-we cannot go under it, resticting our ledge options to that of the average character and making us easier to gimp.
-shy guys can mess up arrows and arrow loops

now with that out of the way, here i have compiled a list of things that are open to us at YI due to stage dynamics.

YI PROS:
-with proper placement either on the tilt of part of the stage or the platform, we can get guarenteed air releases on characters like wario and MK
-when standing on an uphill slant, like the ones on the edge, when we perform dtilt, the hitbox is altered to a major degree. it extends it's horzinantal range and gives the move significant vertical range to the degree of stopping aerial assults.
-those slants also place us where characters cannot crawl under our straight arrows.
-if you start AR about 2 lines back from the ledge (meaning the lines on the ground of the stage), when pit does AR, it is slanted downwards making a roof over the ledge that will hit the opponent hanging there. this works well for forcing people off of the ledge. and if you use this put your opponent off stage, i believe the finishing wind box pushes them farther down.
-the slant makes our dtilt spike box bull**** awesome amazing wonderful easy to hit with as we can just walk up and do a sliding dtilt and because our angle is altered it hit's a bigger area i believe downwards.
-our juggle game is only helped by the platform as we can shark it epicly and shoot up through it and keep characters above us
-killing is not that big of a problem at this stage as the blast zones are similar to other neutrals.
-hitting shyguys refreshes moves

(sidenote: ghosts can screw up our gimps, but they can also save us from being gimped. so ghost's are neither positive or negative)

so with these things in mind, now ill talk some matchups that i believe this stage can be used as an effective CP against:
1. Wario- we can air release him here into bair, we can camp those slants with dtilt effectively stopping his short hop approaches. that's really all we have to worry about when we play him anyways so this stage effectively nullifies his advantages on us.

2. Fox- the platform interupts dair combos, the ceiling is high, and we can get easy gimps with slanted AR> bair stage spike or footstool. can can camp the slants with mirror shield if we want to make him approach.

3. Falco- due to being able to camp him on the slants and abuse our dtilt, easier time gimping with roofing the ledge with AR, being able to mirror camp the slants, and the platform abuse is so great for pit with juggling and shark combos with bair both strong and sour spot (btw sour bair>crit bair is so easy when they are on the platform)

4. TL- it is believed that this stage may help us get in close to TL which is how this MU should be played. the platform helps with juggling, and the overall size helps us get kills (him as well kinda) and also lets us get in close and stay there. the dynamics of the stage also limit his camping ability.

5. Olimar- needs discusion but,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro~
Spaced ar off the edge is god. The several slants all over the stage seem to help me vs olimar. The large covering platform helps control where he can go once we get him in the air so he becomes easier to punish. The big factor is ar. It's so good against him hear if you space it right. After the first few hits let go and the wind box pushes him off stage even more. It's small and we actually do well in CQC vs olimar. so that fact helps us cuz he can't camp as hard here. Fd is good as well picot>fd for this mu imo.

sounds solid.

6. Kirby- slant camping takes away his best option, sh aerial approach. slanted dtilt eats through that **** so that means he has to come from above which due to his predictable approaches from that angle we have plenty of time to either reset the situation (run to the other side) or just wait and punish accordingly. be careful as his projectile can shoot down off the ledge due to the slant his rock slide's here making it hurt box (albeit very predictable) and it can slide off the ledge. however for the most part this stage helps us with it's dynamics of slant and the platform.

so there you have it guys. what's your opinion on the facts i've laid out? and please help me to keep these boards active with intelligent discussions and topics and threads.

all right team, MOVE OUT! (aka discuss)

Edit: alright guys, feel free to add whatever you would like to this just by posting it here. questions, MU specifics, ideas, whatever you want just post here and they will be addressed by myself or someone else. however since i want to keep these stage discussions moving along im going to be starting another one here in a minute so that we can keep this stuff moving along.

Brinstar
Brinstar Pros:

-we can stand behind the fleshy pole on the right side of the stage and shoot arrows through it due to our bow animation putting the arrow tip just on the other side but it doesn't let other projectiles come in making a great camping area.

-the hitbox distortion properties here combined with pit's multihit moveset is beast

-we can shark this stage all day quite effectively with our nair, uair, fair, and bair

-small blast zones make killing much easier especially when combined with sharking. this allows us to land our bair on heavies more successfully and the small blast zones make them die sooner.

-certain parts of the stage (including the right side platform when it's separated from the flesh pole) give us the slanted dtilt which is always nice.

-mulitiple platform layout makes juggling some character's much easier and gives us more sharking opportunity

-dash attack and dair are made into viable kill moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esca
The single best thing about Brinstar HANDS DOWN, is that we can refresh our moves with wingdash. Just wingdash by the pillars or the blocks on the ground and VOILA, all you're moves are 100% fresh.

Brinstar Cons:

-the small blast zones also allow us to die sooner

-the smaller fighting area limits our camping ability a good amount against a lot of characters

-Metaknight's existence

-character's with overpowered moves (Dk's fsmash for example) combined with hitbox distortion is epic scary with small blast zones

Brinstar Neutral:

it is a hazard stage. the lava here:

-can stop your gimps and save you from being gimped

-racks up damage on both players

-can kill either player

-limits player fighting space and forces air camping and cqc which is good and bad based on the matchup.

Okay guys you know the drill, time to discuss who we can counter pick here and why it is a counter pick against them. ill start us off with one i have experiance in.

Falco- we can camp the right side of the stage safely. he can't shoot us through the flesh wall, we can shoot him though. thus we take away the biggest part of his game. platform height allow us to circle camp more effectively here as well. since he has a hard time landing kill moves and is forced to box all match we should always get kills before him. however his usmash is a little buffed here due to the low ceiling so be sure to avoid it more than normal. while his jab makes boxing easier for him, good spacing combined with utilt, dtilt, slanted dtilt, and jab along with careful sharking (due to his spike) and hitbox distortion in our favor make this a viable CP on flack-oh. the only real draw back is lava stopping gimps and limiting our mobility but this can be worked around or just waited with wing refresh air camping until the lava is gone.

Diddy Kong- he can't nana combo you if you're sharking, he can't catch you if you're circle camping. you can shark crit bairs, you can't get hit by nanas behind the flesh pole. just don't be dumb and avoid his highly predictable spike when you're sharking.

DDD- he is too slow to catch us when we circle camp. sharking owns his soul. earlier kills on him because of the small blast zones. just be careful of dat utilt and avoid his on stage game. oh yeah im pretty sure that keeping the separated is great for messing up his CG, even though it's messed up already by the bubbles.

ICE CLIMBERS- they can't do anything about sharking and circle camping. timing them out and not getting grabbed is made really easy here. brinstar stuff. nuff said.

Olimar- like flack-oh, we outcamp him. that pole finally forces olimar to approach. since most olimars are based off of punishing approaches, and we win the cqc fight, this puts him at a disadvantage. plus sharking circle camping brinstar stuff. oh yeah the shape of the stage hella jacks up his grab game and if we keep the stage separated he has to put himself offstage to come to us which gives us a great gimping opportunity.

Pikachu-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckay4Lyphe
-The small size of the stage makes it easier to hit Pikachu
-Pika dies earlier
-Jolts get canceled out by the breakable parts of the stage
-The lava can break your cg
-The breakable middle part of the stage can stop your fthrow cg and your ground approaches
-It's harder to get gimp/edge guard kills because the lava can save the opponent

^ Quoted directly from Kprime. Pikachu just doesn't flow here, Pit has the advantage. There aren't any cps that we would prefer specifically for pikachu so brinstar would be good vs Pika.

ill add more character CP summaries (someone describes against peach, or watevs. i don't know those MUs very well)

Thank you FYRE for this sumarry you found on brinstar's acid: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278839

Castle Siege
The Castle Siege Stage Discussion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alright guys, i know nothing about using pit on this stage. i only know like one pro and one con so im counting on you guys to lay out all the info and CP knowledge you got on this one okay?

CS Pros:
-we can hard core circle camp the statues

here's some info from kuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro~
Part 1 advantages- If your on the right side the slant facing / then angel ring gets both a boost in speed and potential hits. Two for being on the right side, aiming at head is now easier and if they approach they will get shield ***** by nair easier due to them approaching from a lower ground. If they approach from the air you have plenty of time to react or move away. If your on the left side of the first stage you can FF fair and you will slide away and it is 100% safe!!!! Unless PS but i havent tested it yet. You wont slide at every point on it but most of em will so learn where you will slide away. You can basically make a **** *** wall on the left side. The upwards tilt helps dtilt ALOT and EVERYTIME YOU DO A SH BAIR ITS CRIT IF IT HITS CUZ THE ANGLE YOUR ALREADY FACING THEM. Between arrows and those few nice notes+planking the first stage is very nice for some matchups. (Snake, Olimar,mk are the biggest exclusions. Wario as well possibly.) Second part, dude just run away. NO ONE CAN CATCH US HERE. IT'S LIKE NEW PORK CITY just a bit worse. Between wing refreshing, dair camping, and gliding we can circle camp ALL DAY!!! Don't even fight here. Just run. The whole time your at the second transformation. Run. Also, (EVEN THOUGH YOU SHOULDNT) if you do we can refresh our moves on the statues. I believe WoI windbox refreshes our moves here like at YI. Not sure on that part though. Stage part 3- I love this one. If we stay on the left side we are soooo good. I mean either one is fine but the left is amazing. The slants still make you slide so go to whatever side is tilting downwards so you slide away after you bair/fair them. It's LEGIT safe shield pressure. Also, these tiny slants give the boost to ar, and dtilt, and also nearly every shot here will be an automatic foot shot on most characters! So you can really abuse pit's moveset on this part. And be safe about it! I dare a d3 to take me here :3

Now im off for my exercise routine...

CS Cons:
-we can't go under most or maybe even any of the stage

People use this stage against us a lot as most people know it is a CP against pit. below i have some info from chompy about character's who are know for using this stage. please discuss tactics and who else you think may CP us to this stage what tactics we should use to avoid losing.

Characters who will CP you here

-Snake (Snake can outcamp you with grenades all day. Sets a detonator, so you won't have a clue where the bomb is until he sets it off, and Snake can KO you at 100% on a platform with a Utilt. Snakes Ftilt can also KO Pit at 100% on the first part of the stage, since the width of the stage is narrow.)

-Wario (Outcamps you and has the aerial mobility to move anywhere in the stage)

-Marth (Marth does not mind the platforms at all)

-King DeDeDe (Can chain (possibly) grab you on the second part of the stage)

-Lucario (Charges up the Auras Sphere all day and uses it against you)

-Game@Watch (The fact that he's got good aerial mobility means he can move anywhere on the stage as he pleases. A Usmash can kill Pit at 70% on a platform on the 1st part.)

-Sonic (Hit and run. What can I say?)

-olimar (we can't plank him anyways and his moveset destroys us here)

So basically this is a stage we should try to avoid. While we can hold our own against characters here via timeout, in the end we have no real advantages on this stage save what kuro mentioned. in the end though we always have a better place to CP people to so never waste your cp by going here and most likely you should ban it in tourney.

IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT THE STAGE FROM THE MARTH BOARDS (thx to jimmyfosho for finding it)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=283657

Rainbow Cruise
The Rainbow Cruise Stage Discussion
Facts:
- the scrolling of the stage forces mobile action
- character's with aerial mobility, multiple jumps, and excellent recovery thrive here. those without tend to fail hard
- the scrolling of the stage has an effect on grab releases on metaknight based on which side you are on and which stage portion (most noticable is marth's GR>stutter tipper fsmash)

useful info: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289224&highlight=rainbow+cruise

Cons:
- metaknight does better on this stage against us than we do against him thx to that stupid uair (although we do have some advantages)
- the scrolling can kill you off any blast zone based on which way the stage is heading if you get stuck or trip
- DDD can infinite us on the walls here.
- characters like DK, marth, MK, G&W, etc can get good damage on us if they get us with a dtilt against a wall
- diddy can nana lock us against the wall

Pros:
- between wing refresh, glide, 4 jumps, and normal WOI we don't get gimped at this stage and can effectivley beat nearly anyone here at being mobile thanks to WOI stuff
- we can shark well
- we can run away on the long parts and camp
- we have guarenteed air releases on wario and MK here (the scrolling release on MK has lead me to think of something that im gonna post in Luckay's idea thread next)
- our own CG is buffed against walls here against several characters and gives us CGs on characters we normally don't (this is mostly true at the boat wall)
- killing is not that hard on this stage due to pit being a gimp master and the lower blast zones at the top of the stage (dash attack buffed)
- we can air camp really well here with dair and other stuff
- certain stage portions give us slanted dtilt and slanted AR
- we can timeout pretty much anyone on this stage

alright guys, i've laid the foundation. you know the drill:
- who do we CP here and why? what tactics work best?
- who do we avoid here and why? if we must fight them here what should we do?
- what other stage dynamic's that favor pit am i missing (if any)?

to quote the terran.... "GO! GO! GO! *additional supply depots required*"

WHO TO CP HERE AND WHY (some of these are debatable like the monkeys but still at least it lists how to play them here)

Spacies (all 3):
-out manuever due to superior recovery thus getting easy gimps
-sharking on the second part owns falco
-we can time out falco easy on this stage since if he chases us he puts himself in a terrible position to get gimped

Donkey Kong:
-extended CG on the boat for tons of damage.
-we can wait out the boat if neccassary but we can also wreck him with out nair, jab, dtilt, and grab.
-from the second part of the stage until the 4th he is easy to juggle, shark, and gimp

Diddy Kong:
-we can pressure diddy on the boat and not give him time to pull bananas. and if we manage to get ahold of both bananas we can wall infinite him but we gotta be careful as he can do it to us obviously
-while diddy has good aerials, again we shark his *** hard from 2nd-3rd. not to mention our mobility and gimping capability
-part four we can run pivot arrow and camp all day

Ice Climbers:
-the moving stage forces them to drop CGs or die
-they are easy to gimp here since uair separates them usually and sharking owns
-we can time them out with wing refresh and air camping and normal camping all day

Lucario:
-laughably easy to gimp here. with wing refresh and forcing him to come out in the air to us our options to eat his jump (either arrow or weak bair or fair and even nair) combined with his poor recovery=easy gimps
-the boat forces up close confrontation, and pit eats through lucario at close range for some reason
-if we are killing with gimps like we should be, his aura won't ever be too much of a threat which is nice

Snake:
-extended wall cg on the boat for more free and easy damage
-this stage forces snake into the air, we win that fight easy
-we can out camp snake easy on this stage with our mobility and the stage naturally inhibiting grenade play

ZSS
-There is literally nothing for her to tether grab on the rising part so getting her to the left will make her recovery options severely limited.
- The fact that the stage is constantly moving gives us an advantage since ZSS mains always try to get a dsmash set up and they have to be still for that.
- The pendulum will **** her if she doesn't tech when you hit her at the donut blocks.

Ike/Ness/Mario/Bowser/Falcon
-Pretty much just the fact that we can time them out easily on this stage. We as pits need to go for time outs, not super ledge planking because the bbr is starting to limit our ledge grabs, but having the mindset to avoid getting hit at all times, escaping confrontation. Running away in this game can lead to victory

olimar
-as long as we survive the boat part we can gimp him easily on the second part and outcamp him in the third part

more to come.

also, i want to know wat stage you guys think should be discussed in depth next. i will edit the stage vote list after each stage discussion.

NEXT STAGES TO DISCUSS

i refuse to start a new discussion until we finish ps1 and ps2

Xcallion

Smash Ace
after rainbow cruise, let's do the pokemon stadiums. People know we like to recover under the stage so we are likely to be CP'd to those stages a lot. we can always ban our most hated one, but there are more where they came from so we should know how to play on the stages that we'll be take to. I do agree with RC though, because if the opponent goes MK we all know that if the dont take us to brinstar they'll take us to cruise -.-

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Do these really help? I only choose FD Smashvill like 90% of the time and then a random stage

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
abel, stage selection in tourney is much deeper than just SV and FD. read the discusssions, picking a stage is important for multitude of reasons, and knowing which stage optimizes your chances of winning and why is a powerful weapon. stage knowledge can be very complex and even MU changing completely (like pillar camping at brinstar, ***** falco as it forces him to approach us and we have sharking on him).

stage advantages can be anything from personal preferance to something that changes a MU entirely. it can also be advantageous if you know specifics about the stage with your character and your opponent doesn't even know about it. brawl is a game of options, and the more options you have on your opponent, the higher your chances of winning are.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
PS 2
i dont know that level at all, having never played it competitevely.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Everyone alwayse choose ps1 for some reason o-o

I like ps2 a lot though

just diwscuss the one that everyone uses mroe often.

PS1

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
PS2 is almost never picked and it isn't a legal stage either most of the time.

Do a legal stage that no one knows much about and that could be good for Pit.

Jungle Japes

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
luckay.... ps2 is legal according to the unity ruleset which is where im getting my stage list from, japes is not (although im working on that).

pick one of the listed stages. and don't forget we are broken some of PS2's transformations even if we can't go under. right now the vote is even and not everyone has voted yet

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
It would be nice to see everyone's input on ps2 then, it's too random for people to ban, but cping it will be a problem if you don't know the stage.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
right now the vote stands 3 ps2, 2 ps1. before i start the ps2 discussion however, i need to know fi there is anyone with sufficient knowledge about pit at this stage as to my knowledge ps1 is the stage people know more about so if we don't have people who use ps2 we need to start testing it and talk about it later. but if you guys know about pit on this stage then it will be the next stage discussed unless the is 2 more votes for ps1

Xcallion

Smash Ace
If no one knows anything about PS2 then we shouldnt talk about it yet. I'll play on it for a while and get back to ya.

fUddO

Smash Ace
PS2 has sooooo much potential for Pit against characters who can't edgeguard us well. The air section is no problem due to WoI and Glide allowing us free movement, the conveyor belts make our camping broken (can camp the ledge AND the edge easily), the ice section is awesome since it makes AR super safe, and really messes up other characters spacing, while not affecting wingdash. All that just off the top of my head. Physics changes are amazing for Pit, since almost all of his move can benefit from them. This could potentially be a top CP for Pit, and the fact that it isn't popular works in our favour.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
alright you have already voted and if im not mistaken luckay is switching his vote to PS1 due to us having like no knowledge of PS2 so i will open a PS1 discussion later tonight.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
My only gripe about PS2 is that the conveyer belt will make us grab the ledge more often than not if we try to shoot an Arrow on it. I dislike being forced on the ledge that much, especially by a stage. While we're safe on that transformation if we're facing a character who can't do anything about planking, I feel that Pit could do more if he stayed on the stage, especially if we can keep people on the conveyer belt and make them re-grab the ledge more, so we can get a chance at a gimp.

Sorry about the long post, though ^^;. I agree that we don't have enough people who know a lot about the stage, though. I avoid going to PS2 because the physics changes sometimes mess up my spacing (except for the Ice and Rock stages though. I LOVE those.). Hopefully sometime in the future we can have a nice discussion on it ^^;. Although I know much more about PS1 so I'll try to help out as much as I can ^^;.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
bump. this is actually useful. also, did yall wanna continue doing these? because i still have an unfinished PS1 discussion or we could start a new one since no1 actually cares about PS1

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I'll add my scrubby two cents, if only to keep the thread alive.

I LOVE PS1's EDGES GODDAMNG

On most other stages, characters like Marth and Olimar can pressure me on the edge in frustrating ways, but PS1 gives me juuuust enough sharking room to make it harder on them. Almost everyone seems to fall for the ol' uair through the stage at least once. I hate not being able to go under this stage, it somehow bothers me in ways that Yoshi's doesn't. I don't really have much to say about the transformations except that the Earth and Fire transformations are just about the only places in the game I find looping to be worthwhile.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i used to like PS1's edges until i got staged spiked twice by sync's mk in the dumbest ways ever, grounded shuttle loop and ff fair. **** MK. but ya other than weird stage spike properties the edges are nice. but other than that i would honestly rather play almost anywhere else (anywhere but castle siege). i mean on YI at least you can glide low and slide up to the ledge

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
so who thinks we should discuss wat? just throw out stages, but know this, i will not accept a vote change unless for some reason there is a tie. also, i will accept votes for japes and norfair since these stages are likely to be added to our current stagelist

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
ya it really is great for us. those conveyors are so good for our defense game. i mean you just hop up on them and sh arrows at your opponent. if they get on the conveyor, start a jab. then you fall off and grab the ledge, now they are being pulled towards our uair by the stage itself. and AR on ice (especially when you bounce it to mess with them). oh ya and getting some1 to chase you on the wind mills just so you can divebomb and shoot arrows up at them/ rising uair them is too good. oh ya and that weird hill that you can run up and do weird momentum aerials is cool too.

so that's 1 tally for ps2 (as im not actually voting since that would be unfair)

Top Bottom