• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Art of Gliding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
So I'm going to use this thread to gather known info on gliding so that its all in one place for easy to reach use.

**Disclaimer**
I am not claiming discovery of this technique I am creating this thread for the teaching and discussion of this techs.

singal jump glide

Description- Gliding close to the ground.

How to perform-
Where you jump then imediately second jump, to initate it fast and closer to the ground. The you can add glide shifting and canceling to really surprise your opponents
Use- Mind games, and a quick glide attack/ glide cancel

Vid-

Discovered by- not sure but FzeroX told me about it

Glide Canceling

Description- This is a technique used to stop Pit (or any glider) from crashing into the ground with zero lag. And can even slide along the ground giving you slight forward momentum.

How to perform- Simply attack before you hit the ground. Causing zero lag and allowing you to any attack to be preformed out of it.

Use- Comboing and causeing you to recover from a glide with no lag.

Vid- Glide canceling

Discovered by- Someone in Japan

Glide Shifting

Description-As Pit (or charazard) starts to go into gliding animation they will drop down about the hight of Pit then glide normally. This happens because you fast fall as the glide starts

How to perform-Right as Pit starts to go into his gliding animation hold down to acheive a Glide Shift. Also if you are in heavy Brawl then you will receive this effect with out holding down.

Use-Mind games

Vid- Glide Shifting

Discovered by- Scio

Glidehop

Description- Pit will Glide right at the edge of the stage at ground level. At this point you can do a Glide Cancel.

How to perform-
so~ to do this "glidehop" basically
-you let go of the edge and hold jump so you start instantly gliding
-as soon as you start to hold jump hold up at the same time so you don't just glide into the stage(i don't know how this works if you have "up" set to jump since i have it off on my control config")
-when you start the glide just spam the crap out of A and you'll glide cancel into an instant u-tilt
Use- Mix up your edge game so you don't become predictable, and attack farther when getting up.

Vid- Glidehop

Discovered by- lmnz

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I would add the "single jump" glide, where you jump then imediately second jump, to initate it fast and closerto the ground.

The you can add glide shifting and canceling to really surprise your opponents

Villains

Smash Cadet
Lol if u add Single-jump glide also add then the 'up-and-down glide' also known as the 'fake-glide'. It means u glide up and down, to let your opponent think you are going to land earlier then u are going to do. But then u go up and land behind him. Then u can choose what you wanna do. U could go spam arrows, and wait till he comes to you, or u could go to him or other options.

I really use it in brawls :laugh:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Looks like I have to learn Glidehopping, and this will be a great addition to my arsenal when I master it.

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
There is one thing i would like to add to the Glide Shifting, you can also do a Glide Shifting Back by pressing back then down and make sure you do it as quickly as possible. i use this alot

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I really never knew about Glide Shifting Back. I tested it now and will try it for a bit of spacing.

Scio

Smash Rookie
Btw, you could put only Scio for the glideshifting thing. Cause I was using the name Nova back then. xD

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
To me the best way to use Glide Shift Back is went you face away from your opponent.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have a new technique to share as a variation on glide canceling. This may be obvious but I dont see ppl do it and i just realized it a couple of days ago.

Swooping (tentative tech name)
Do the sharpest dive you can and just before you hit the ground, pull up to as close to horizontal as possible without going horizontal and Glair cancel the glide.

What this does is allow Pit to slide across the ground the length of his DACUS (a little more than the center diamond on FD) Why this can be good is because ppl know how to shield grab the glide attack easy. This method safely puts you on the ground and the long slide allows you to charge up ANY smash attack to hit with. You can also do a sliding grab which is really cool also. Try mixing this up in your game and dont make it obvious your doing it.

FYI: Only pit can do this.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
lol
It's Not 10 Glides,

It's 10 Pit Glides >_< Because Pit's gliding is the best, not just because Pit is an angel ^_^

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I have a new technique to share as a variation on glide canceling. This may be obvious but I dont see ppl do it and i just realized it a couple of days ago.

Swooping (tentative tech name)
Do the sharpest dive you can and just before you hit the ground, pull up to as close to horizontal as possible without going horizontal and Glair cancel the glide.

What this does is allow Pit to slide across the ground the length of his DACUS (a little more than the center diamond on FD) Why this can be good is because ppl know how to shield grab the glide attack easy. This method safely puts you on the ground and the long slide allows you to charge up ANY smash attack to hit with. You can also do a sliding grab which is really cool also. Try mixing this up in your game and dont make it obvious your doing it.

FYI: Only pit can do this.
I read up something like this in Smash Wiki a long time ago. They called this "wingdashing..."

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
I do something similar but not quite. Relatively close to my opponent, I jump and then 2nd jump just high enough then i glide shift. The result should be your opponent sees you taking flight, then all of a sudden you are ground level and swipe at him/her/it. I do it so that I attack right away after initiating the glide, and it cancels into the same slide mentioned in the previous post. I see it as a good way to quickly and aggressively close a gap

Afropony

Smash Lord
so are there any combos that can be used after a glide attack?

Usually if they're hit up into the air and you slide across you can shoot an arrow directly up and hit the opponent.

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
you can also glide cancel without the glide attack (glair) actually going off. If you do so properly then you won't even here the sound. This is good to do when you want to suprise your opponents by grabbing them or use a different attack instead of the attacking them with the easily predictable glide attack. Another advantage to this is that if you do this right then you will also slide a significant distance (I think that you actually slide farther than if the glair goes off). I don't think that this has been found out already but I apologize if it has.

Gaz

Smash Rookie
For the Glide Shifting, You must hold down the stick c or the directional stick?
( Sorry for my english i'm french >.< )

Coffee™

I need it....
You hold down the directional stick. Next time use the simple question and answer thread and don't bump old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom