• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The " Awesome Video Games that you think people need to play" Thread

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
There is no #1 RPG anyway :)

Some are close though :)

and CT and XG are up there

allshort17

Smash Ace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEXFNIZumc

Does anyone play Blazblue and know how Reeves plays like. Well, imagine a whole fighting game with that concept. Controlling a character and a partner added immense depth to the fighting. The game also captures to essence of the manga, so fans of the books will respect it. But, what I think is the best in the game is the style of it. Even before I knew it was a magna, I still thought the game gave off a crazy, over the top style that was only complemented by the addicting soundtrack. If you want someone to play, there are still some people on places like GGPO that do. I think this is a must have for fans of fighting games or the manga.

Soloist

Smash Ace

Gameplay

MUSHA - One of the best vertical shooters ever made! The only downside is, if you want to get your hands on the cart these days, it will cost you $65 and up. However it is available on the Wii virtual console for far less. :awesome:

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Nobody's done this yet? Really?

Golden Sun, released in Japan as Ōgon no Taiyō Hirakareshi Fūin (黄金の太陽 開かれし封印?, literally "Golden Sun: The Broken Seal"), is the first installment in a series of fantasy role-playing video games developed by Camelot Software Planning and published by Nintendo. It was released in November 2001 for Nintendo's Game Boy Advance and was followed by a sequel, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, in 2003. The game is notable for certain distinctive game elements, such as the use of special "Djinn" that empower the player and can be used against enemies.

Golden Sun's story follows a band of magic-attuned "Adepts" whose purpose, as it is revealed early on, is to protect the world of Weyard from alchemy, a potentially destructive power that was sealed away long ago. During their quest, the Adepts gain new abilities (called Psynergy), assist others, and learn more about why alchemy was sealed away. The story continues in The Lost Age, this time from the perspective of the antagonists.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (黄金の太陽 失われし時代 Ōgon no Taiyō Ushinawareshi Toki?) is the second installment of a series of role-playing video games developed by Camelot Software Planning and published by Nintendo. The game was released in April 2003 for Nintendo's Game Boy Advance, being a sequel to the Game Boy Advance Golden Sun. Players can transfer their characters and items from Golden Sun to The Lost Age by means of a password system or Game Link Cable, and players are rewarded for fully completing both games.[1]

Picking up the story during the events of the previous game, The Lost Age puts the player into the roles of a magic-attuned "adept" named Felix and his allies as they seek to restore the power of alchemy to the world of Weyard. Along the way, the player uses psynergy to defeat enemies and discover new locations, help out local populations, and find elemental djinn which augment the characters' powers.

Easily some of the best GBA RPGs to ever exist ever.
I have probably logged around 100 hours on each game- and love them to death.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i liked golden sun alot.

personally, i am just 300% a "Mischief Makers" fanboy though. that game is hands down my all time favorite that i'd play over anything. seems like most people have it though, they just never really played it much is what i typically come across when i question people about it when i see they own it.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
^I'm pretty sure everyone and their momma has played that game

if not, then they do not have the right to cal themselves gamers lol

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

Cult hit.

Best RPG battle system ever.
Great music, super amazing. 4 discs of OST.
Great storyline.
Interesting history information w.r.t Chopin.

etcetc

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

So good, really fun for those who like extreme customization. If you're more of a story person you should definitely pass. This game is all about gameplay and that intense grinding that you'll never see in a game again. After you beat the game once, you can play it again on hard or "Nightmare" mode. Nightmare mode is pretty close to impossible to beat without a friend to play with you. Its available on PSN now but if you want the original disc be ready to shell out some guap.

Skies of Arcadia is also another game that's stupid expensive if you try to get the original game.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master

The 3D platformer/collect-a-thon gameplay is great, but what makes this game really stand out is the creativity and soul that occupies every character, every word of dialogue, and every level. You can stand around listening to characters chatter at each other for 10+ minutes without hearing anything repeated, and you'll love every second of it. As for the levels, each one takes place inside the mind of increasingly amazing characters. Survive the military-obsessed Coach Oleander's battle-scarred obstacle course, help the great-great-great-etc-grandson of Napoleon Bonaparte play a game of war against the genetic memory of his ancestor, go Godzilla on a metropolis of mental lungfish, and wonder what the **** Tim Schafer was smoking when he designed the glowing Velvetopia.

My personal favorite quotes:
"You're like molasses going uphill in January... with crutches!"
"Oh my god! Goggalor just destroyed the orphanage... wait, it was the puppy orphanage!"
"Well, I've reviewed your chart, little girl. The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain... strap it into an armoured battle tank, and have it shoot down innocent civilians with its concentrated psychic death beams! The good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing."
From a government agent pretending to be a housewife: "Although over time my husband will lose desire for me sexually, he will always love my pies. "

Divinokage

Smash Legend

So good, really fun for those who like extreme customization. If you're more of a story person you should definitely pass. This game is all about gameplay and that intense grinding that you'll never see in a game again. After you beat the game once, you can play it again on hard or "Nightmare" mode. Nightmare mode is pretty close to impossible to beat without a friend to play with you. Its available on PSN now but if you want the original disc be ready to shell out some guap.

Skies of Arcadia is also another game that's stupid expensive if you try to get the original game.
I wonder.. is Secret of Mana underrated or have a lot of people played it?

Also Secret of Evermore has probably not been played very much though it's own unique twist for the gameplay was kinda cool when you can combine ingredients to cast spells.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

Also Secret of Evermore has probably not been played very much though it's own unique twist for the gameplay was kinda cool when you can combine ingredients to cast spells.
I'm not sure of secret of mana is underrated or not. I do remember going over my friend's house to play multiplayer.

Secret of Evermore was such a beast game. I've literally never met anyone who played it irl.

:phone:

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEXFNIZumc

Does anyone play Blazblue and know how Reeves plays like. Well, imagine a whole fighting game with that concept. Controlling a character and a partner added immense depth to the fighting. The game also captures to essence of the manga, so fans of the books will respect it. But, what I think is the best in the game is the style of it. Even before I knew it was a magna, I still thought the game gave off a crazy, over the top style that was only complemented by the addicting soundtrack. If you want someone to play, there are still some people on places like GGPO that do. I think this is a must have for fans of fighting games or the manga.
I've played this when it was first released on Dreamcast. it's awesome as well as the anime/manga :)

Cult hit.

Best RPG battle system ever.
Great music, super amazing. 4 discs of OST.
Great storyline.
Interesting history information w.r.t Chopin.

etcetc
Ok I'm going to pick this up. I keep hearing good things about it.

I own legend of mana and like it, but I didn't like the story or the way you progressed in the game

lol SoM is old school and it's my fave RPG of all timebut it might be underrated and over looked by many like many great snes RPGS because of the "OMGZ SUPER MARIO RPG CHRONO TRIGGER AND FINAL FANTASY VI ARE DA BESS"

you know.

>

Stingers you should play Xenoblade. I might write about about it soon, but i might not..I talk about that game WAY too much and for good reason. lol

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Panzer Bandit

http://youtu.be/fB0zfkln1YU

This game is a ****ing beast beat em up! Once you play, you'll get that Guardian Heroes feel to it, but if you haven't played GH, then I dunno what to say, bro. I's easy to compare the two games however if I were to be more clear on how this game plays out, Id put it like this: If Guadian Heroes is the "Smash Bros + MVC 2" of beat um up, then Panzer Bandit is the "Street Fighter + Marvel" of beat em ups. This is because GH uses a similar battle system like smash where player moves are performed depening on the direction of your movement such as tilt attacks. Even though there are no "Smash attacks with the same button, there is another button that pretty much works the exact same way. In Panzer bandit, the characters' attacks are based mostly on inputs that are pretty much like street fighter. Not much explanation there. The Marvel feel comes from the amount of crazy (air)combos you can perform and the amount of stuff going on in game at once.

I haven't met any one who has played this game besides my cousin and my friend Kurt. Speaking of Kurt, I'll let him add more detailed info:

http://hardcoregaming101.net/panzerbandit/panzerbandit.htm

"Panzer Bandit is essentially a Final Fight-style brawler, though everything controls more like a 2D fighter. You have two primary attacks (weak and strong), and a variety of Street Fighter-esque motions will perform flying flips, fireballs and whatever other special moves your character may have (and in case you're not adept enough, most of the speciality attacks are mapped to the extra buttons on the controller.) Even the bulkiest of characters are relatively agile, allowing you to super jump, double jump, dash, and essentially fly around the whole screen, tossing enemies into another and otherwise tearing new holes in everything. Hitting the trigger buttons will send your character leaping back and forth inbetween planes. There's also the usual power meter, which can unleash a super attack when charged up enough. And as natural for games of this type, you can choose to smash bad guys with a buddy by your side. It's all reasonably simple, but a total blast to play.

Panzer Bandit throws a lot at you at one time, but never quite reaches the epic chaos that Guardian Heroes sometimes threw at you. While at times the game doesn't quite feel busy enough, it also doesn't overwhelm you to the point that you can't see what you're doing. Whoever said the Playstation couldn't do 2D must've been making **** up, because Panzer Bandit, a 1997 title, proves them otherwise. While the foreground is polygonal, everything else are fully detailed, well-animated sprites. Even though the camera is constantly zooming in and out as you jump or switch between planes, the graphics stay fairly clear and never become the pixelated mess usually associated with scaling effects. The music is your typical catchy Capcom-style pop cheese that would feel right at home in a Mega Man game, which is actually a very, very good thing.

This being a side-scrolling brawler, Panzer Bandit is somewhat repetitive by nature. The fact that you're really only fighting the same two or three guys over and over doesn't really help the issue. So by the time you hit the eighth and final level, and you need to refight all of the old bosses, Panzer Bandit almost does begin to wear out its welcome. In spurts, however, Panzer Bandit is elegant in all of its bone-smashing simplicity, leading to some of the most button-mashing fun you're likely to find. Alas, this being Japanese only, you're unlikely to find this without paying a bit of a price."

BEES

Smash Lord

The 3D platformer/collect-a-thon gameplay is great, but what makes this game really stand out is the creativity and soul that occupies every character, every word of dialogue, and every level. You can stand around listening to characters chatter at each other for 10+ minutes without hearing anything repeated, and you'll love every second of it. As for the levels, each one takes place inside the mind of increasingly amazing characters. Survive the military-obsessed Coach Oleander's battle-scarred obstacle course, help the great-great-great-etc-grandson of Napoleon Bonaparte play a game of war against the genetic memory of his ancestor, go Godzilla on a metropolis of mental lungfish, and wonder what the **** Tim Schafer was smoking when he designed the glowing Velvetopia.

My personal favorite quotes:
"You're like molasses going uphill in January... with crutches!"
"Oh my god! Goggalor just destroyed the orphanage... wait, it was the puppy orphanage!"
"Well, I've reviewed your chart, little girl. The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain... strap it into an armoured battle tank, and have it shoot down innocent civilians with its concentrated psychic death beams! The good news is that your insurance should cover the whole thing."
From a government agent pretending to be a housewife: "Although over time my husband will lose desire for me sexually, he will always love my pies. "
Everything I've seen or heard about that game looks amazing. I will have to play it some day.

vZakat

Half Genie
That panzer bandit game looks amazing. I'll definitely check it out later.

Now my contribution.

SUTTE HAKKUN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qNJ9nADbqQ

Wikipedia said:
Sutte Hakkun falls into the category of a side-scrolling, level-based action puzzle game; a genre best represented by the Lode Runner series. The player controls Hakkun, and attempts to gather up the rainbow shards distributed across each level. A level is completed when the player finds all of the shards hidden in the level. Levels are arranged simplistically at the start of the game, but become highly complex and difficult near the end. The final goal is to find all of the shards hidden in the game.

Hakkun's actions consist of three movements; running to the left or right, jumping, and absorbing or depositing blocks. A combination of these is required to complete each level. The player must restart the level if Hakkun falls into a hole or touches spike traps, but there is are no other impediments, such as time limits or enemy characters, towards completing each level. There are also no lives or game over screens, and the more difficult later levels are completed by repeatedly searching the level for the solution to the puzzle. Completion of the game requires a combination of puzzle-solving ability and precise control of Hakkun by the player.

Several types of traps and characters are prepared in each level, some of which help Hakkun, and others which may obstruct his path. The most important of these are the red, blue, and yellow bottles and transparent blocks. Hakkun can suck out colors from each bottle, and insert them into the transparent blocks to make them move in different directions.

M@v

Subarashii!
More new school, but games people need to play:

Three best games in the series, 5 being my favorite. Ace combat is a air combat game that is semi-realistic(authentic licensed planes and weapons, feasible plots, but some fantasy superweapons as well).

first three are on PS1, ace combat 2 was remade for 3ds, called Ace combat assault horizon: legacy(id recommend it). Ace combat 3: electrosphere is a really hard game to find, especially the Japanese version which is a much bigger/better version. 3 is a massive departure from ac norm, having a futuristic anime-like feel to it. I want to play it so bad :3

Ace combat 6 for 360 was meh
And assault horizon(the newest one for 360) has some really dumb gameplay mechanics now.

Also at the very least, look up the music for any of the AC games. Some of the best tracks and compositions in the industry. I feel it can go toe to toe with the best in the business in this department. And it does it with so many different styles too.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I've played it on those computer things but is there an American cart?
No, but the game did receive a full english translation when it was released in europe.

it's expensive, but if you want a physical copy, you can get it through ebay most likely.

Also, yes, your super nintendo will be able to play it. There's a piece of plastic or some kind that makes it to carts from other parts of the world won't fit, but you can break it off and there you go.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
As far as the most underrated RPG's go, I saw three of mine in here. Of course everyone knows and loves the Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana. I too recommend Legend of Dragoon, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, and Skies of Arcadia(Legends, which is for the GC and with extra stuff) to anyone.

However, one game that I noticed that didn't get mentioned that I particularly loved was

At first glance, you might think that running a farm is super lame, but I promise that this game is golden. I haven't played a Harvest Moon like it since. Harvest Moon 64 was really good too.

Umby

Smash Master

Dark Chronicle / Dark Cloud 2

It's that good kind of RPG that you can't hate. The way all the game elements blend is just so satisfying. You can go at your own pace without feeling like you're getting bogged down by not grinding, you can build up plenty of different weapons, MAKE YOUR OWN ROBOT, and even though you're forced to do some town building, you never really have to do anything elaborate if that's not your kind of thing. The world is also very vibrant and serene with a great soundtrack that meshes in really well. The story isn't bad either, though I feel the root of all the troubles in the plot is generic.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I bought that game in '04 is still have yet to play it.

Man . . . And my backlog keeps growing.

M@v

Subarashii!

For your young ones out there this is the predecessor to Pokemon puzzle league. Still my favorite tetris game. In versus mode, you hit your opponents with blocks and their size is based on how big your combos and chains are.

If I ever bring it to a tourney I accept all mms in versus mode on it as well :)

Big_R

Smash Champion
Lunar The Silver Star. The sega cd version. Such good writing. Ps1 remake lost a little something.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
On a newer note, I recently played Xenoblade Chronicles and thought it was fabulous. I highly recommend it. Good combat system, interesting characters, and the music is AMAZING.

Top Bottom