• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Azure Knight for Smash Bros! Nightmare Support Thread.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I can understand that sentiment completely. He honestly wouldn't be a bad choice at all. I can see some of his moveset now. His Down Smash really should be his foot stomp too. Give him the force field from Soul calibur 3,4, and 5 too. Maybe as a B move.
Did you look at the moveset? D=

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Did you look at the moveset? D=

I just took a second look at it. I do like it overall. Sorry if it came off that I didn't. My favorite parts being the Forward Smash and Final Smash. I can admit that I had some personal ideas for Nightmare's moveset. Maybe I'll make my own someday :p. But I'm far from a pro at this moveset stuff.

I think I would have used some of his kicks to go along with his sword attacks. Like for his Down Tilt, he could be given his sweep kick instead. For his Dash attack, I was thinking his Drop Kick would be a fitting move to use. And for his Down Smash, he uses his Stomp attack. Maybe have his Headbutt as a Smash attack or as his Forward Tilt. I think I would also have another kick move as his Forward Tilt too. He does have a cool roundhouse kick. And who doesn't like a roundhouse kick? Man....Now I really want try my hand at Nightmare's moveset.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wouldn't consider Nightmare impossible. He has the credentials for a support thread.

I fully support Nightmare but I know his chances are absolutely none. However, if a SC character would be included, I'd say he would be the best choice. As well, is love to see a 3rd party villain included. Nightmare would do untold destruction to the Nintendo universes - devouring souls and such.
I know how you feel... it just hurts so much.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
@Thekewlusername
His drop kick is my favorite attack in any fighting game. I couldn't think of how to incorporate it in a moveset though. Making movesets isn't very hard, the one I posted was the first I ever made. If you decide to make one, I'll add it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
@Thekewlusername
His drop kick is my favorite attack in any fighting game. I couldn't think of how to incorporate it in a moveset though. Making movesets isn't very hard, the one I posted was the first I ever made. If you decide to make one, I'll add it.

I made a couple movesets before actually, I'm just not sure if I'm the best at it. I'm still thinking of ideas for his moves, but I might come up with one soon-ish. I'll take a look at his SC2 and SC3 moveset for inspiration.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I made a couple movesets before actually, I'm just not sure if I'm the best at it. I'm still thinking of ideas for his moves, but I might come up with one soon-ish. I'll take a look at his SC2 and SC3 moveset for inspiration.
I'm looking forward to seeing what movesets other people come up with.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm glad this thread didn't instantly die. It's good to see that people want to make movesets.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Nightmare A.K.A the Azure Knight from Soul Calibur
Nightmare Soul Calibur 2.jpg
Stats
Weight: 8/10 Nightmare is as heavy as Ganondorf.​
Size: 6/10: He’s a bit taller than Link, but shorter than Falcon.
Ground Speed: 5/10: Despite his bulky armor, Nightmare has an average running speed.
Air Speed: 4/10 Nightmare’s Air Speed is on par with Brawl Link’s. Which is to say not very good at all.
Fall Speed: 7/10: Nightmare falls rather quickly.
Jump Height: 5/10: He has an average jump height
Traction: 4/10
Grab Range: 6/10: Nightmare uses his demonic claw to grab his opponents. Since its larger than his normal arm, it has a larger hitbox.

Note: To help give an even better idea of what these moves look like I’ll post two videos that I found that show two different versions of his original command list. Most of the moves with names are taken directly from the names of Soul Calibur 2 and 3. Some moves are found in both videos, but I’ll mostly put time stamps for the first video(the Soul Calibur 2 command list).

Most of this stuff is in collapse tabs so that no one has to look at a wall of text right away. I tried to be as detailed as the "Make Your Move" threads tend to be. I might do some cleaning up of this post later.

Videos
Here's his first Command List that I chose. It's from Soul Calibur 2.

The second one comes from Soul Calibur 3. The dude/girl who uploaded the videos in the first place is called "zedk8"

And this last one is a combo video just for fun.

Normal Attacks

AAA = Slash Cross: (Seen at 0:30, first video)

Slash Cross one of Nightmare’s basic attacks throughout the series. He does two horizontal swipes with Soul Edge, then he follows with a downwards slam with Soul Edge. The first two hits each deal 4% damage. And the last hit deals 5% damage. This move would work well for basic combos. Given Nightmare’s range, it can be used as a means to space the enemy out.

The last hit can K.O. at 115%. The first two hits have little to no knockback, while the last sends enemies at a 45 degree angle.

Forward + A = Dark High Kick: (Seen at 3:38, second video)

Nightmare does a surprisingly quick kick to the midsection. This attack isn’t all that fancy, but it is one of Nightmares faster attacks, along with having decent range as well. This move is ok at spacing the enemy out, but far from his best options. This attack can be combo-ed into Slash Cross and Grind Kick. Dark High Kick deals 9% damage.

Up + A = Dark Bite: (Seen at 5:13, second video)

Nightmare deals a quick uppercut with his demonic arm. This attack has no real advantages or disadvantages to it, it’s a pretty basic move all round. Dark Bite deals 8%.

If there was just one positive that Dark Bite would have, it’s that it can be followed up with a Soul Wave if timed correctly.

Down + A = Grind Kick: (3:41, second video)

Grind Kick is a pretty simple move, being able to hit the opponent with a quick low kick. But it can spike the enemy downwards at the right angle. This is another move good for spacing the opponent out due to being quick and having decent range. Grind Kick can be combo-ed into both Slash Cross and Dark High Kick. Grind Kick deals 10% damage.

Dash Attack = Drop Kick: (Seen at 5:44, first video)

Nightmare’s dash attack is a very powerful move. Drop Kick deals 14% damage. But the best part of this move is its powerful knockback, sending enemies flying back at higher percentages (80%+). The down side of the Drop Kick is that Nightmare is left open to the opponent if he misses his target.
The knockback for the Drop Kick sends opponents straight forward, can K.O. at 85% or so.

Forward Smash = Quick Revenge: (Seen at 3:02, first video)

Nightmare ducks forward while charging this Smash attack. When the button is let go, he will stab Soul Edge forward while the blade spins like a drill. This move hits four times, with all four hits dealing between a total of 3%-5% damage depending on how long the button is held.
The first three hit will lock the enemy in place if contact is made, while the last hit will launch the enemy forward.

Quick Revenge is good for stacking on damage early on with its good range, but it shouldn’t be your main K.O. option. It can at the very least, get a good knockout at higher percentages (70%+).

Quick Revenge can push enemies straight forward, and K.O at 70%.

Up Smash = Midnight Launcher: (Seen at 3:30, first video)

Nightmare reels back and puts a lot of force into a single upward slash. As the name implies, this move launches the opponent high into the air. Midnight Launcher is Nightmare’s main vertical knockout attack. Dealing 22%-28% damage depending on how long the move is charged. The only downside to this attack is that it is slower than most Up-Smashes.

Midnight Launcher should be a reliable tool for getting in K.O.s. Nightmare’s likely to take down an opponent at 65% with this move.

Down Smash = Charge Stomp: (Seen at 5:40, first video)

Nightmare lifts his foot above the ground while it is being charged with electric energy. He then stomps the ground with great force causing an explosion around him. This explosion will greatly push enemies back; this move acts as a spacing option for Nightmare. Charge Stomp is Nightmare’s best knockout option, deals somewhere between 21%-28% damage.

Charge Stomp should arguably be his best move, having high knockback and can K.O. in the high 50%s.

Specials

B = Earth Divide: (Seen at 3:43, first video)

Nightmare raises Soul Edge as it is lit on fire, and then he slams the blade down causing a small shockwave. Earth Divide works in a similar manner to Marth and Roy’s Shield Breakers in Melee, unleashing a powerful arching slash. Earth Divide can deal somewhere between 10%-30% damage depending on how long the B button is held. The shock wave that Earth Divide leaves will push enemies back greatly, making for a good knockout move if you get lucky. Like the Drop Kick, if the Earth Divide misses, Nightmare can easily be punished for it.

Earth Divide, much like in the Soul Calibur games, is a risky move. It’s slow, predictable, yet pretty powerful. Instead of doing tons of damage like in the Soul Calibur games, Earth Divide has great knockback. This is the type of move that shouldn’t be relied on in a one on one fight; rather Earth Divide can find better use in free for all battles or tag matches.

Forward + B = Rush Crusher: (Seen at 5:47, first video)

Nightmare will dash forward at a surprising speed and strikes with his claw. This move can work as quick knockout attack at an un-expecting enemy. Rush Crusher has less range than the Fox Illusion, but can push the opponent quite far. Pressing the B button again makes Nightmare follow up with tackle. The first hit Deals 13% damage. The second deals 6% damage.

The reason one wouldn’t want to just continually spam the B button while performing the Rush Crusher is that the single hit can be combo-ed into by moves like Soul Wave, Slash Cross, and/or Dark High Kick on the ground. While in the air version of the attack can be combo-ed into and out of both the Rising Knight Kick and Fatal Brave Kick. The second hit would push the enemy too far to get a good combo.

Up + B = Soul Blaze/Cannonball Splitter: (Seen at 4:50 and 5:06, both on the second video)

Nightmare starts off by using a burning upward slash that will, unlike in Soul Calibur 3; raise him off of the ground. This initial attack deals 12% damage. Soul Blaze acts as a recovery attack for Nightmare and has the same height as Mario’s Super Jump Punch.
If the B button is hit again during the animation for Soul Blaze, Nightmare will then perform the Cannonball Splitter.

The Cannonball Splitter has Nightmare do a downwards spinning slash that moves diagonally. The Cannonball Splitter deals 8% damage. If you aren’t careful you could ring yourself out.

Down + B = Soul Wave: (Seen at 4:36, second video)

A newer move that Nightmare has access to starting in Soul Calibur 3, it has so far stayed with him since. Nightmare charges energy from his entire body, then releases it in an explosive red force field. Soul Wave’s design should look more like the version that was in SC4 and SC5, with a more noticeable hitbox and flashier look. This move has slightly more range as the Reflector, to fit Nightmare’s size better.

Soul Wave can be charged the longer the button is held, instead of dealing more damage, Soul Wave’s range can be doubled. This move has decent knockback, so it’s good for pushing enemies off of your back quickly. Normally Soul Wave deals an even 10% damage. Soul Wave has a sweet spot around Nightmare’s legs, which in turn makes Soul Wave deal 15% damage instead.

Soul Wave is a good surprise attack to use at the end of combos. And in the air, it’s the only option that Nightmare has that is abuse able.

Throws

Throw + A = Pummel:

Nightmare grabs the opponent with his demonic arm. When pressing the A button, Nightmare will knee the opponent in the gut. Each hit deals 3%damage.

Forward Throw = Hilt Impact: (Seen at 6:41, first video)

Nightmare grabs his opponent with one arm, and uses the other to bash the hilt of Soul Edge at his opponent. Hilt Impact is Nightmare’s least damaging throw, dealing 10% damage. This throw also has a low amount of knockback.

Backward Throw = Thrust Throw: (Seen at 3:23, first video)

Nightmare thrust Soul Edge forward into the opponent, and then he slams them backwards. This throw is his most powerful throw, dealing an even 20% damage. But this move has powerful knockback, making it a bit easier to get a K.O with. Thrust throw sends the opponent straight backwards.

Up Throw = Flap Jack: (Seen at 7:01, first video)

Nightmare grabs the enemy’s legs and tosses them upwards. This throw deals 13% damage. The best thing about this throw is it’s powerful knockback. This can work as a useful tool for vertical knockouts.

Down Throw = Calamity Fall: (Seen at 6:53, first video)

Nightmare grabs the enemy from the side and jumps up into the air, after that, he will crash down with the enemy. Calamity Fall deals 15% damage, and the enemy is sent upwards. This throw has little to no knockback, but has good damage.

Air Attacks

Neutral Air: Fatal Brave Kick: (seen at 4:29, second video)

Nightmare does a basic mid-air kick. Fatal Brave Kick can help extend combos if timed correctly at least. It’s reach is greater than Link’s Neutral Air, but smaller than Samus’. Fatal Brave Kick Deals 5% damage.

Forward Air: Jade Smasher:

Nightmare does an overhead punch that deals 11% damage. This is Nightmare’s most powerful air attack when used correctly. Jade Smasher works as a combo ender as well. This is also his Meteor Smash, though it has a sourspot. If any area other than the fist hits his target, Nightmare will only deal 5% damage, and will no longer meteor.

On the plus side, this attack has little landing lag.

Backward Air: Back Blade: (Seen at 1:31, second video)

Nightmare does a slow spin slash with Soul Edge. The Back Blade isn’t all that strong either, dealing only 8% damage. What this move does is push the enemy far back as a way for the user to have some breathing room in the ring. This move has about as much range as Marth’s Back Air.

Back Blade has slow startup and a lot of landing lag to go with it.

Up Air: Rising Knight Kick: (Seen at 6:37, first video)

Nightmare does a quick upward kick. This attack is mostly used as a means to help extend combos; as such it’s not very strong. Rising Knight Kick deals 6% damage. Rising Knight Kick has the fastest startup among Nightmare’s air attacks. This move’s landing lag is noticeable, but not terrible. This move has
very little knockback.

Down Air: Soul Smasher: (Seen at 4:40, second video)

Nightmare dives downward and slams Soul Edge into the ground. This move isn’t very strong, but it has its uses. The most important thing this attack can do is get Nightmare back on the ground, where he’ll do some serious damage from. This attack can also work as a combo ender. Soul Smasher deals 7% damage.

Playstyle
Nightmare is a somewhat slow, heavy, and powerful character. Being able to hit hard and take a good couple of hits too. Most of his combos are simple; normally being 4 or 5 hits. He has a spacing/mid-range game thanks to Soul Edge’s range being longer than most other sword users. Another aspect that helps his spacing game is the amount of knockback certain attacks have. But Nightmare still has a problem with projectile based characters, in that he lacks a real good approach to handle characters like Samus and Megaman.

He has quite a few easy killing moves on the ground, and he is a primarily ground based fighter. Because of this, he is very limited in the air, having only one spacing option available and a somewhat mediocre meteor Smash. Nightmare’s throws are rather powerful, said throws are meant to serve at his close range killing moves if one is forced to stay close.

Extra Stuff
Intro: Nightmare rides on to the stage a demonic creature similar to what was seen on a concept art of Nightmare in Soul Calibur 1.

Stance: Something similar to this picture.

Character Theme: Raise Thy Sword ~ Soul Calibur 2

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I updated the OP with your moveset. Thank you for posting it.

No problem man. It was a fun moveset to make.

I think you forgot to make a final smash lol.
EDIT: I could always add it later :p. I went for a 64/Melee one to start off with, since his regular moves are the more important to go over. I we've got at least three good choices for a Final Smash too.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Highly doubt he will make the roster. Pacman is a lot more likely since he is iconic. Regardless Noghtmare would fit in well with Smash Bros but Namco would pick a more iconic character. It's like seeing a Deus Ex rep for Square. Adam Jensen has so much potential for a good moveset and Deus Ex has been around for a while but it's just not iconic enough.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Highly doubt he will make the roster. Pacman is a lot more likely since he is iconic. Regardless Noghtmare would fit in well with Smash Bros but Namco would pick a more iconic character. It's like seeing a Deus Ex rep for Square. Adam Jensen has so much potential for a good moveset and Deus Ex has been around for a while but it's just not iconic enough.
Yeah yeah Pacman's iconic blah blah blah. I'm not disagreeing with you, but Pacman sucks and Nightmare would be so much better.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well f*** !
I don't know if I love this thread because Nightmare is awesome and it's the first time I could like to play as a swordman in smash, or if I should hate it because now I badly want a character who have little chance to make it in the roster, sorry Pacman I liked you and supported you but I don't think I can support a Namco rep who is not Nightmare now D=

If he don't make it I hope Ganondorf got that kind of moveset.

My biggest problem with Nightmare however is that if I remember well, Sakurai don't want characters from fighting games in smash, so =/

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Well f*** !
I don't know if I love this thread because Nightmare is awesome and it's the first time I could like to play as a swordman in smash, or if I should hate it because now I badly want a character who have little chance to make it in the roster, sorry Pacman I liked you and supported you but I don't think I can support a Namco rep who is not Nightmare now D=

If he don't make it I hope Ganondorf got that kind of moveset.

My biggest problem with Nightmare however is that if I remember well, Sakurai don't want characters from fighting games in smash, so =/
You should definitely love this thread now and then hate it when he doesn't make it in. And I also take solace in the fact that Ganondorf with a sword is essentially Nightmare.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I fully support this, and in all honesty am surprised more people aren't on here after looking at FD's new design. It practically screams Soul Calibur. I would say he's the second most likely Namco rep, right after Pac and just above Lloyd/Yoshimitsu. Although unlikely, I would love to see him in much more than the yellow ball.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I fully support this, and in all honesty am surprised more people aren't on here after looking at FD's new design. It practically screams Soul Calibur. I would say he's the second most likely Namco rep, right after Pac and just above Lloyd/Yoshimitsu. Although unlikely, I would love to see him in much more than the yellow ball.
Thank you for bumping the thread. The Nightmare is NEVER over! Well, unless the thread dies again.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Hey, what if Nightmare's standard B is an attack that changes his stance and makes all A moves different? That'll be interesting but might take a little more work.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd like to think that, should he appear, Nightmare's taunts and victory quotes would be the stuff of legend.

"Blood! Darkness! I shall drown the world in both!"
"Your madness - how it shines like a beacon!"
"You fight like a mewling child!"
"Souls, come unto me!"
"Souls, give me strength!"

And my personal favourite line in any Soul Calibur game:

"You conceited, wretched HUMAN!"

I'll support. May even draft up a moveset for the big guy when I'm done with other things; he's always been one of my favourite 'Calibur characters.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Arisen from the ashes... every other character and their mother has support campaigns going right now, why not Nightmare?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
in fact ... if Ryu is really announced as a DLC character, Nightmare 2 most impassable gates would be lifted (no fighting games characters and only one rep per third party) Frankly it would be my preferred second namco character by far.

The big problems is that soul calibur right now is on a sorry state with that thing that is lost swords (seriously, what is that thing? ) At least i enjoyed a lot Soul Calibur V. right now tekken is the "popular" choice, but i find tekken to be so boring, while soul calibur so varied that it kinda baffles me a little.

Soul calibur at least have the plus at having been one of the greatest hit on a nintendo console (GC SCII was the more popular port, and soul calibur II is probably one of the most beloved games on the series)

If Soul Calibur gets a rep though he would kinda have a little competition with yoshimitsu though, yoshimitsu having the adventages of representing both tekken and soul calibur and having an easier to smashify moveset. at least i would prefer yoshimitsu over any other tekken character though.

At least nightmare represents both the villian and the posterboy of the series, not a small feat. plus, if he is a heavyweght, heavyweight are always welcome.

Other possible competitors would be that guy from the tales sagas (Loyd?) and Klonoa, which both have a good pressence on nintendo consoles, but i feel that both are more niche series. or knowing sakurai we can always end with some random namco arcade rep like dig dug ._. (although i would prefer any of them over a tekken character ._.)

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I mean, I suppose I could toss a vote in for Nightmare on a different device. (Not that I would ever encourage anyone to break the rules and vote more than once)

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I don't think Nightmare will get anywhere near the top 10 in the ballot, but he can definitely make it in sm4sh if Ryu is confirmed since it'll be 2 Capcom characters. Namco could use a second rep since they're actually helping make the game.
Chances are Namco is already helping make another rep. Lots of options, though.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I made this thread back when every character and their evil alter ego had a support page. Actually, it was more to show Pac-Man fanboys/girls that there is another viable Namco rep. They stuck by their rotund pie slice and now we're all besieged by fire hydrants and pixelated fruit. Isn't that so much better than getting to play as Nightmare?

Anyway, if you guys really think Nightmare has a shot at getting in just because Capcom gets two, then I will do my best to keep the thread alive.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
I would love Nightmare to come back, soul is even doing a popularity poll which should raise awareness since over 10,000 people voted on it (personally I voted Yun, ****ing, Seong), but this would raise popularity for what is most likely Soul Calibur 6, so I basically support this thread after all, "THE LEGEND SHALL NEVER DIE"

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I would love Nightmare to come back, soul is even doing a popularity poll which should raise awareness since over 10,000 people voted on it (personally I voted Yun, ****ing, Seong), but this would raise popularity for what is most likely Soul Calibur 6, so I basically support this thread after all, "THE LEGEND SHALL NEVER DIE"
So Namco is wanting to get hype going for SC6... they could pull a Microsoft and say "You know who would be cool in Smash? Nightmare."

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I ask myself, would Nightmare be somewhat similar to Dedede but as a sword weilder? That is a huge sword with quite a long range attack but slow recovery?

Top Bottom