• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I think we need to tone down the elitist comments.
No, he's right. Calling Brawl not fit for competitive play is an ignorant comment. Ignorance is "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact". Brawl has not been out long enough to make these calls on how it's not competitive enough.

Seriously. The Smash community just has not been through enough game changes and we're seeing that inexperience in full force with the transition between Melee and Brawl.

who needs metaknight when you have IKE!

hes stronger than a sPeeding bullet.

and plus,

HE FIGHTS FOR HIS ****ING FRIENDS!! HOW BADASS IS THAT!
More badass than NANANANANANANANANA but less badass than taking out a boulder and BREAKING it with your ****ing HEAD!

Hell yeah, Charizard.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
No, he's right. Calling Brawl not fit for competitive play is an ignorant comment. Ignorance is "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact". Brawl has not been out long enough to make these calls on how it's not competitive enough.
I'll agree, but I'm talking about the personal comments and how we address each other are things that we have to watch out for. Everyone can be a jackbutt, or they can try to speak gracefully. It seems those that consider themselves good at the game are choosing the primer.

JDZL

Smash Rookie
Are there ever goign to be any patches for SSBB?
for example, maybe something that will allow more options for wifi play? or something to fix the lag? or possibly to adjust character stats to even things out?
i don't think they'd ever patch the game. You'd need to store the patch on the wii system memory, which is possible, but I doubt it would happen. Console games rarely receive patches, and I don't think nintendo would go about balancing the game post-release.

It'd be great if they allowed more options for wifi. I'm not too sure how the whole "host a room" system works. It seems like the host wii acts as a central server for all players, like if you were to create your own game in CS.
It's possible for them to work on their current network and servers to help with the lag however (maybe they underestimated the amount of online brawlers).

It would be amazing if they had dedicated servers! (kinda hard for 4 player max games tho. 2 max is even worse).

iono.

Thoughts?
-jd

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
all i know is me and scott just played break the targets for hours on end and OWNED SO HARD.. zomg doubles break the target world record here we come : D

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
I don't hate brawl, I hate how there are some really gay and lame characters

Meta knight
Yeah, I'll have to agree with you on that there are gay/lame characters in brawl that make me angry! AAAANGRY! RRAAAAWR!

Yeah, I hate how the offensive pressure game got nerfed to hell. It's kind of dis-heartening to think of the effect this is going to have on competitive play. In Melee, it was fast, intense, aggressive combat, but in Brawl it seems like the winning playstyle will be camping and turtling. There's no way to really pressure your opponent into losing control of the match for that stock, it's more just like hit and run, especially since there seems to be much less combo potential. I honestly think Melee is much more suited for competitive play, but we haven't even had a Brawl tournament in BC yet, so maybe I should hold my judgement until we do have one. Still though, it's definitely looking grim. :ohwell:
I think that while you are correct that offensive pressure and combos have become more difficult, yet you would be incorrect to write them off entirely. Would you like to play a good character for consecutive hits in brawl? Why not try out oh, Metaknight. Maybe Pit? If you are feeling really adventurous, you could give peach a shot, though her air jump was nerfed, so she's all like "I can't follow you up that high, only the big boys can reach that part of the stage without being hit that direction!", yeah, but either way, there are still characters that can land multiple consecutive hits, and chainthrowing is still in with at least 2 characters, so I wouldn't start to worry just yet.

He never said Metaknight was broken, he said gay and lame, which is entirely different. No character in Brawl is cheap or broken, but Metaknight takes the cake for most irritating and lame. It's the rapid sword slashes combined with multiple jumps--so boring and lame it hurts. To each his own though, I won't hold it against any Metaknight players, it's just my opinion. >_>
Metaknight is gay and lame. This has been confirmed. Also, Pit is very gay and lame. Which one is more gay/lame? I am uncertain, but I would argue that Pit in fact takes the cake for being most irritating and lame, but that is my personal opinion on the matter, seeing as I find a skilled Pit to be ****ed near impossible to approach.

Patooty

Smash Ace
ok then, please explain to me how metaknight is gay and lame. Apparently I don't know how he plays. So far the arguments i've heard for it are... he makes sword slashing noises often.

UltimaSmash

Smash Cadet
Yo any spring break smashfests? Especially smashfests with Roby? He's borrowed my controller for like the longest time EVER and I can't freakin play without it!! >:(

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Hey man, haven't seen you in a while. Are you coming to my tournament in April? Also, are you still interested in SSB64?
Oh I thought it was March, I dunno what's going on anymore lol. The tournament piqued my interest since Kyle suggested he wants to go, so it depends on that and my schedule.

Console games rarely receive patches, and I don't think nintendo would go about balancing the game post-release.
Well, Xbox 360 and PS3 games frequently receive patches, it's the Wii that doesn't often/ever. Has a Wii game ever received a patch? Maybe those system updates include/can include patches to Nintendo games, I don't know. But if Brawl did get patched, and I hope it does, technical problems would be priority and not much else I would guess.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
No I was just saying I don't think Brawl has any future potential of being a good game, I'd actually like to see someone like Ken or PC take this game seriously at a tournament in a year.

I've looked at the game physics long enough to have made my decision. Maybe it is just a "new" type of fighting game.

In all honesty when people are actually good at this game it will come down to who ever has better timing/spacing and knowledge of priority in moves (more so then meele) Meele is a game where you can spend your life playing and continue learning through the meta game.

I also don't remember getting bored of Meele on the first day I bought it..

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I'm not understanding why a game coming down to the person who has better timing and spacing is a bad thing. They're the two most important skills to have.

The game physics are very interesting.

Maybe you got bored of Brawl on the first day for the same reason most people who don't like it did? They wanted the game to be as technical as Melee is in 2008. Too bad. Develop the metagame or wait until everyone else has done all the work for you. Just don't ***** about it between now and then.

Brawl is here to stay. Get used to it.

On a different note, teching online is impossible :( input lag + less frames that count = ahhhhhh. I woulda thought they'd make it easier for online play (which is why I assume they removed l-cancelling), not even more precise.

Patooty

Smash Ace
Well, you gotta realize that there's a certain expectation for Brawl, and when expectations aren't met, people are disappointed. That's pretty much all there is to it.

That being said, most people who hate Brawl play it like Melee. (like me when I first started)

I kinda see both sides of the argument though. I agree that Brawl will probably not have as much depth as melee. The whole "well, look at how long we had spent on melee. Give Brawl that much time" doesn't really work. Otherwise I'd be panning for gold everytime I crossed a stream... or something. You can only find what's there regardless of how much time you spend.

EDIT:
Brawl is here to stay. Get used to it.
QFT. If you don't convert, you'll just end up being like the smash64 community that you always think is crazy and hanging onto the past. :laugh:

A complete community-wide rejection of Brawl was possible but it doesn't look like it's happening now.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Mind you, the community is now largely diluted by an influx of newer "smashers" jumping the brawl-is-easier bandwagon.

edit:// Roby! Shall we play the Smash Bros. Melee game tonight? I hear that game is pretty fun.

Rampage

vx
Nice matches ManLi haha g&w <3

Edit:I forgot to mention that you have a lovely Pikachu. Your lucas is alright as well :D

patooty

He just is.

---
nathan? lol there's this new thing called msn. It's like totally awesome

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
Well see, I was just suggesting that your counter-point is invalid, seeing as it is inapplicable in all circumstances.
So what you're saying is... in grade 4 you frequiented ssb64 tournies?

And if you're just going to try and impress people with big words, try saying something that actually makes sense. One person's experience=\=All cirumstances, especially when, and this is the part that seems to fly consistantly right over your head, you're not even the person I'm taaaaaalkiiiing aaaaaboooouuuut!!!

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
okay yea i'm going to have to disagree with what tiep said..

"You can only find what's there regardless of how much time you spend."

thats already contradictory considering it takes time to find; one is dependent of the other. besides, it not like we found everything in melee overnight, or in a matter of hours. thats what kept melee fresh and neat throughout the 7 years its been out? or however long it has been. counterpoint under circumstances? zuh?

yea and manuel you actually played smash competitively at grade 4? i find that hard to believe. i'm one year older than you and when i played smash in elementary school i never even THOUGHT of learning anything beyond just beating a player/friend. haha i remember surfing these forums in 2002..man that was a long time ago

Patooty

Smash Ace
okay yea i'm going to have to disagree with what tiep said..

"You can only find what's there regardless of how much time you spend."

thats already contradictory considering it takes time to find; one is dependent of the other.
?

It's contradictory because time is involved?

If you have a box full of pennies, you're not going to find a gold bar in there regardless of how much time you spend. I don't see the contradiction. Of course I guess I'm not considering infinity if that's what you're hinting at... But there are also different levels of infinity...

EDIT:
Maybe I was being confusing. You could reword it to "You can't find what's not there."

piegopher

Smash Rookie
It's no use comparing the two games- In terms of the advanced stuff that everyone gets all frothy over the two games are completely different- Some people aren't going to like Brawl because some peoples' enjoyment of Melee depended more on the weird slippery cancelly aspects than others' did.

Also I personally think some of us can't handle being re-noobed after so much training :D Personally I love the experience

Then you're all like "that's cuz ur always nub lol" and I'm all "oh no you di'int"

It's no news flash that Brawl's got a lot of things that Melee doesn't- Right now there are lots of people who are unhappy because their favourite things from Melee are gone, but in a while there'll also be people who can't stand Melee because it doesn't have the Brawl stuff... For example I'm loving these A moves that give you a burst of momentum in one direction or the other- Spiking with R.O.B. or Ivysaur is really gratifying! K-thunk.... Anyway my point is that you should just play the game you enjoy- Hell, you can even play BOTH games if it suits you :O

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
I think you misunderstand. I had been playing the game since that age (id est, since it came out), and then uh, I got really good at it since it's pretty much all I played. Surely you can understand that after years and years of playing version 1 of a game, I would feel the difference of the newer game? And I liked melee quite a bit.

I'm not sure what you consider to be "big words", but it's ignorant to say I'm being superfluous as opposed to just specific.

Of course once person's experience doesn't equal all circumstance. I don't recall saying that. But I do know that one counter-example is enough to strike a theory down. I believe that's Grade 9 Math curriculum?

It seems to me that Roby shared his observations and overall feeling about the game, and you attacked his point of view pretty aggressively. How, then, can you take it personally when someone else does the same to you =P ?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
My Brawl mains are Meta Knight and Toon Link =) And I think the Brawl nickname thing would be very useful for identifying each other online.

piegopher

Smash Rookie
Hey guys who is currently the person who updates the front BC Smasher Index?

I've begun to work on it myself. See here:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/950/30001551zw2.png

Need to tweak it a bit:
-Remove our Melee chars?
-I kind of guessed a few of the 'new mains' :ohwell:
-Fancy it up and colour afterwards.
-Should I add our 5 letter in game names for online? (eg. Chaoz/Fire/Ace/Meta)

If anyone else wants to work on it too, I'll give you the word file.
Hey, thanks for the inclusion- Here's the rest of my info:

Melee: Doc/Bowser
Brawl: Random I guess, because of my ******* training for ******* EB.

Just in case we do include 5 character nicknames in the future, I'm PIE

Also I'm intrigued by Jon's main, "Adjust Table Row." Is he from Mario?

Metà

Smash Master
Yeah, keep Melee mains and add online Brawl names. Also, here's the info for the Coquitlam crew:

Meta
Melee mains: Jigglypuff/Various
Brawl mains: Lucas/ROB
Online name: Meta

Rusty Shacklefurd
Melee mains: Ice Climbers/Bowser
Brawl mains: Ike/Charizard
Online name: Rusty

Bwmat
Melee mains: Falcon/Fox
Brawl mains: Snake
Online name: Bwmat (i think)

Rampage
Melee mains: Fox/Falco
Brawl mains: Falco/Sonic
Online name: RMPGE

Also, Kaleb doesn't play anymore. You can remove him or leave him on, it doesn't really matter.

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
?

It's contradictory because time is involved?

If you have a box full of pennies, you're not going to find a gold bar in there regardless of how much time you spend. I don't see the contradiction. Of course I guess I'm not considering infinity if that's what you're hinting at... But there are also different levels of infinity...

EDIT:
Maybe I was being confusing. You could reword it to "You can't find what's not there."
thats the thing, of course you won't find a gold bar. But you've already defined the perameters of the box, and since brawl has been out for less than 2 weeks, can you really say you've understood the game to the level of melee? or do you know what limits brawl and what doesn't? i'm not saying there is new stuff (new wavedashing) to be found, i'm just saying that its silly to say we've found everything, and observed the inner networking of the game so quickly, if we're speaking on similar times it took melee to advance

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
I think you misunderstand. I had been playing the game since that age (id est, since it came out), and then uh, I got really good at it since it's pretty much all I played. Surely you can understand that after years and years of playing version 1 of a game, I would feel the difference of the newer game? And I liked melee quite a bit.

I'm not sure what you consider to be "big words", but it's ignorant to say I'm being superfluous as opposed to just specific.

Of course once person's experience doesn't equal all circumstance. I don't recall saying that. But I do know that one counter-example is enough to strike a theory down. I believe that's Grade 9 Math curriculum?

It seems to me that Roby shared his observations and overall feeling about the game, and you attacked his point of view pretty aggressively. How, then, can you take it personally when someone else does the same to you =P ?
haha i think you're really being overdramatic here...no one is claiming that you are superfluous, but you could really clarify things, because from what i'm reading it isn't "specific" or understandable but whatever

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
OMG Tiep, how much do you know about sampling? Can you help me with my Stats assignment plz?!!

What are you taking next year Manuel? If you go into math I guarantee that you'll have lots of chances to "strike down" "theories" by counterexample. Don't go into Bio though. I hears it's effing hard to strike down that theory of evolution ;)

Top Bottom