• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Smash Apprentice
hey hey reposting my greeting to the bc area as my original post was in the wrong place (whoops). Anyway I just moved here from WA for work and am looking to get into the scene, I'm in white rock currently and wanna get some games in as soon as possible, hello bc!

Ministry

Smash Ace
Can someone please explain to me how BC views rage quitting?

Is it your personal option to ragequit if you were going to win the match anyway?

Ministry

Smash Ace
Im talking about friendlies only,

Are you aloud to ragequit in friendlies if you were about to win the match anyway?

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
It's rude and annoying lol if i'm gonna lose then i'm gonna lose on my own terms and if I want to see my character turn into a star then it's going to happen.

Ministry

Smash Ace
It's rude and annoying lol if i'm gonna lose then i'm gonna lose on my own terms and if I want to see my character turn into a star then it's going to happen.
You cant really lose on your own terms, someone basically forced you to die.

How do you choose how you lost?

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
lol you're missing the point

I just don't want someone else to ragequit for me. That simple. I'm guessing you're getting heat for quitting out on someone else when you won. Why do you feel the need to do it? that whole "cause it's faster" thing is so dumb lol it's faster by like 3 seconds who cares.

just by opinion btw dunno how everyone else feels about it
hasn't been a problem here though

Ministry

Smash Ace
Im playing to get better not to win, why do i want to wait every time i have the guaranteed win? i just want to get on to the next match and play.

why do you feel the need to look at your character after the match?

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
It's not about looking at a character, in my opinion it's rude. That's it. I don't know why you're looking to BC for this though, or anywhere really. It doesn't sound like you're trying to be convinced so just do what you want and if the people you play with don't like it then they'll just stop playing with you and your problems will be gone. lmao

Ministry

Smash Ace
Im just curious how a competitive smasher has the mentality to improve but gets upset or offended when someone ragequits

Every region has there own rules. Im just curious why rage quitting is not aloud and taunting someone is, when they are essentially the same thing. Both disrespectful apparently

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
Quitting out for someone doesn't do anything for your growth as a competitive smash player.

edit: You also didn't mention taunting at all in so I don't see why you're bringing it up.

Ministry

Smash Ace
because its disrespectful and its relevant to the discussion, seeing as how it is something that is tolerated but rage quitting is not

why is one aloud but the other isnt, if they are both annoying.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
ministry stfu you fgt
holy fk you're a dust

learn the fking difference between aloud and allowed

god damn

Ministry

Smash Ace
Its irrelevant where i got the idea from.

Obsessive taunting is annoying just like obsessive rage quitting is.

how come Bc gets mad about rage quitting but not taunting?

and why is one ALOUD but the other isnt?

Ministry

Smash Ace
I like how you keep avoiding questions, but it was interesting hearing from someone. thank you for your input though.

the Rest of Bc, Both sides Is is disrespectful if you rage quit when you lose? And when you win? Both? one or the other?

I'm just curious because im interested in the rules of the different regions and why they have the rules they do?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
It's pretty simple: the game should be allowed to run its course unless both players (or the tournament rules) agree to the contrary. So if one player doesn't want to allow rage quit, for whatever capricious reasons, then that's that. So Yakal doesn't really need to explain anything; if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it.

I'll offer some ideas for why it might be the case - though, as I say, these don't have to be convincing. For starters, not everyone is playing just to get better. They might actually enjoy the whole match process: the startup introduction as characters join the stage, and the closing screen. Maybe they love to hear ganondorf laugh, or to see how many whiffed grabs they had. Considering that, given the "normal" course of the match,the player will see this, the other player is preventing or interfering in his ability to do this if he rage quits.

As for the taunting, that is arguably part of the match. It is a move given to the every single character as part of their design. Clearly, it is dangerous to taunt, so if used at all it may have to be tactical. But in this sense it is "natural" and not superimposed.

So yeah, imo if even one person doesn't want the rage quit, it shouldn't be allowed for that match.

:phone:

Myezko_Lime

Smash Rookie
On the quitting out thing:

I had a tl;dr post, but I've decided against it. I've saved it just in case. The short version is thus:

It's a little like the bushido practice of seppuku. When you committed a crime, killing yourself was the honourable way to go. So being quit on is like being refused the opportunity to die with dignity. A self kill-steal if you will. Quitting out on the win can also come across as arrogant because it's in some senses nullifying the match by not letting the "this game's winner is" screen come up. Giving off a whole "this match wasn't even worth my time" vibe.

As for taunting being okay, I feel thats mostly 'cause a single stock has a lot less gravity than a whole match. But, taunting's a grey area anyway 'cause in some cases it can be totally in jest, but in other cases it's a really ****ty way of goading someone.

S**t, that was supposed to be the short version.

Violence

Smash Lord
I've never been bothered by it either way, but if I quit out on my opponent and they express disapproval, I stop.

It's just common courtesy.

I've never had a problem with taunting, not like Samus can really do it very often anyways. I just see it as another thing to do between stocks like refreshing tech skill or charging.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
It's pretty simple: the game should be allowed to run its course unless both players (or the tournament rules) agree to the contrary. So if one player doesn't want to allow rage quit, for whatever capricious reasons, then that's that. So Yakal doesn't really need to explain anything; if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it.

I'll offer some ideas for why it might be the case - though, as I say, these don't have to be convincing. For starters, not everyone is playing just to get better. They might actually enjoy the whole match process: the startup introduction as characters join the stage, and the closing screen. Maybe they love to hear ganondorf laugh, or to see how many whiffed grabs they had. Considering that, given the "normal" course of the match,the player will see this, the other player is preventing or interfering in his ability to do this if he rage quits.

As for the taunting, that is arguably part of the match. It is a move given to the every single character as part of their design. Clearly, it is dangerous to taunt, so if used at all it may have to be tactical. But in this sense it is "natural" and not superimposed.

So yeah, imo if even one person doesn't want the rage quit, it shouldn't be allowed for that match.

uhh

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
x event occurs and upsets y person. no logical course of action blankets these variables. theory debunked on grounds of lack of sufficient information to draw conclusive and universal results.

michael_li

Smash Ace

holy ****, he wrote a ****ing essay.
that doesnt have to be handed in to anyone.

theres no rules on rage quitting but ima sum it up for you cuz ur so @nal about it.

1 you quit out / taunt anytime you want, police isnt gonna come and get you
2 sometimes there are consequences when you quit out / taunt

Top Bottom