• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the responses to my question about limits. I read them all and I was surprised at the variance in answers.

I am now starting a project for school. The class itself is pretty stupid. This project can be anything I choose as long as it uses some sort of modern information technology, so I decided to create a digital story presentation to inform and spread awareness on Electronic Sports.

I would like to ask all of you who have been to any tournaments, or feel connected to the community, to answer several questions. Keep in mind that this is eSports in general, so it isn't exclusively meant for SSBB. Please feel free to respond here in the thread, send me a private message, or email me at npike1993@gmail.com

• What is a tournament like in person?
  • How many games do you see at events?
  • How many people are at the events?
  • What is your fondest memory in eSports/gaming?
  • What is your first memory in eSports/gaming?
  • Is your community strong in eSports? Video gaming in general?
  • How would you try to interest someone in eSports?
  • How would you explain/demonstrate the skill required in top level playing?
  • What prizes, cash or anything, have you ever won/seen anyone win/heard someone won?
  • What are some issues you face when trying to get into tournaments?
  • What is the biggest event you have attended?
  • How do you feel eSports relates to other aspects of your life? (communication skills, confidence, ect.)
  • Would you like to see eSports become bigger?
This project is due on May 13th, so there is just under two months to complete it now. I may ask more questions later on. Try to get as many people as you can to help out with this project, because it could possibly help eSports as a whole. If you have any tips/suggestions on researching, please let me know.

Any responses will both help me with this project and help me to better understand the validity of eSports and the experiences it has to offer. Interesting photographs, short video clips, or stories are greatly appreciated. When this project is finished, I will determine whether or not it can be used to spread awareness of eSports. If I decide it is good enough, I will upload it to YouTube and ask for help in showing it to others.

My personal reasons for this is that I really just love video games. Korea has made Starcraft a national sport, and the U.S. considers poker a national sport, so I would like to be able to consider video games a national competitive event.

lastly, if i get no responses at all, i won't bother you with any more questions.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
What is a tournament like in person?
Pretty relaxed and friendly before and after the tourney matches.

How many games do you see at events?
A lot.

How many people are at the events?
Depends on how much money is at stake for first prize.

What is your fondest memory in eSports/gaming?
My first tourney. It was the first time I ever met competent gamers in my area.

What is your first memory in eSports/gaming?
My first video game was Pokemon Gold.

Is your community strong in eSports? Video gaming in general?
Yes. Most of my area's community are good at gaming in general.

How would you try to interest someone in eSports?
I would invite them to my place along with a few friend's and kick their *** in whatever game we wanted to at that moment. If they had a competitive spirit then they would try to learn from their mistakes and every little success would get them more and more hooked.

How would you explain/demonstrate the skill required in top level playing?
I would link them a series of vid's demonstrating top level players duking it out.

What prizes, cash or anything, have you ever won/seen anyone win/heard someone won?
I havent been to any giant tourney's so i've only ever seen $300 for a first place, but i know that there are much bigger prizes.

What are some issues you face when trying to get into tournaments?
Transportation. I'm a 16 year old with no car.

What is the biggest event you have attended?
GC Season 2 Finally.

How do you feel eSports relates to other aspects of your life? (communication skills, confidence, ect.)
I get along with other smasher's much better than other people i know. I feel that going to tourney's has helped my social skills a lot.

Would you like to see eSports become bigger?
**** yeah!

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Thanks for all the responses to my question about limits. I read them all and I was surprised at the variance in answers.

I am now starting a project for school. The class itself is pretty stupid. This project can be anything I choose as long as it uses some sort of modern information technology, so I decided to create a digital story presentation to inform and spread awareness on Electronic Sports.

I would like to ask all of you who have been to any tournaments, or feel connected to the community, to answer several questions. Keep in mind that this is eSports in general, so it isn't exclusively meant for SSBB. Please feel free to respond here in the thread, send me a private message, or email me at npike1993@gmail.com

• What is a tournament like in person?
  • How many games do you see at events?
  • How many people are at the events?
  • What is your fondest memory in eSports/gaming?
  • What is your first memory in eSports/gaming?
  • Is your community strong in eSports? Video gaming in general?
  • How would you try to interest someone in eSports?
  • How would you explain/demonstrate the skill required in top level playing?
  • What prizes, cash or anything, have you ever won/seen anyone win/heard someone won?
  • What are some issues you face when trying to get into tournaments?
  • What is the biggest event you have attended?
  • How do you feel eSports relates to other aspects of your life? (communication skills, confidence, ect.)
  • Would you like to see eSports become bigger?
This project is due on May 13th, so there is just under two months to complete it now. I may ask more questions later on. Try to get as many people as you can to help out with this project, because it could possibly help eSports as a whole. If you have any tips/suggestions on researching, please let me know.

Any responses will both help me with this project and help me to better understand the validity of eSports and the experiences it has to offer. Interesting photographs, short video clips, or stories are greatly appreciated. When this project is finished, I will determine whether or not it can be used to spread awareness of eSports. If I decide it is good enough, I will upload it to YouTube and ask for help in showing it to others.

My personal reasons for this is that I really just love video games. Korea has made Starcraft a national sport, and the U.S. considers poker a national sport, so I would like to be able to consider video games a national competitive event.

lastly, if i get no responses at all, i won't bother you with any more questions.
Are u seriously from Nebraska son?

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I live in Papillion, right near Omaha. Currently 17 years old, been playing video games since I was 9, playing brawl since mid 2010, 3 older brothers who played video games.

I haven't really been looking very hard for other players around here since I'm pretty shy/introverted. I have a couple friends who are about my skill level (intermediate) with me. I just feel like too much a "new guy" to really seek out others, i suppose.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I am not sure what you mean by trippin?

but i like it thanks for the compliment. i actually have to resize it and center the words swamp***** but i am content with it right now.
Lol by trippin it has a large array of randomly displayed colors.

Why no color scheme brah

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Good shee to shugo. 7th is very respectable. Anyone have a link to the falco bbr mu +1-1 thing that they did for every character?

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Thanks =)! Also i wish people would stop putting mk next to my name i went straight falco for singles and doubles >.< the only 2-3 times i used mk i lost. so yeah..lol.. =(

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Thanks =)! Also i wish people would stop putting mk next to my name i went straight falco for singles and doubles >.< the only 2-3 times i used mk i lost. so yeah..lol.. =(
That's what happens when you trust in the dark side for your battles :awesome: lol.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Jump Cancel Upsmash. How useful is this to you guys? For me, it's a really good OoS option at high percents. Is there any frame data on this (in comparison to regular Upsmash)?

btw Pika is manageable... then again I never played ESAM or, really, any good Pikas in a long time.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Jump Cancel Upsmash. How useful is this to you guys? For me, it's a really good OoS option at high percents. Is there any frame data on this (in comparison to regular Upsmash)?

btw Pika is manageable... then again I never played ESAM or, really, any good Pikas in a long time.
Well its manageable but against a good pika it'll be worse than mk imo. Falco has tools to avoid grabs but they can get you with a grab pretty easy which =death if they know it. Hmm i've found JCU useful as a mixup like onetime i did inf jab inf to RJCU and got them with the sweetspot cuz how it works. But idk...oos on the other hand i could see it being better cuz u can buffer a jump and bypass the shield drop frames and lead that to usmash.

Any1 got frame data to support this?

I would like to see Larry/DEHF fight esam :awesome:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
With tap jump you can do it with no startup, so frame 8.
Without tap jump I guess it'd be frame 9 because you have to input a jump button.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Well its manageable but against a good pika it'll be worse than mk imo. Falco has tools to avoid grabs but they can get you with a grab pretty easy which =death if they know it. Hmm i've found JCU useful as a mixup like onetime i did inf jab inf to RJCU and got them with the sweetspot cuz how it works. But idk...oos on the other hand i could see it being better cuz u can buffer a jump and bypass the shield drop frames and lead that to usmash.

Any1 got frame data to support this?

I would like to see Larry/DEHF fight esam :awesome:

1. if youre trying to bypass the shield frames to up smash, you can just up smash. jump cancel up smash is supposed to be used as a kill move when your opponent uses a move that has very little lag, and thus mispaces it. its my main method of killing actually. but in order to do it, you need to know exactly when its going to kill your opponent.
MK - 115
Diddy - 129
Snake - 158
DDD - 160
Those are exact numbers with the best possible DI and momentum cancel to ensure that they will die when they get hit by up smash

2. you should watch dehf vs kprime, thats a good watch.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
up smash oos is really good, you can punish marth's side b with it.

I played Esam in friendlies at one of the MLGs. I was able to take a few matches off, but he still won most of them >_>

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
falcos should start using dtilt more, i dont see it enough
I like double jab cancel into dtilt cuz it shield pokes alot and sets up air juggles <3

@DEHF lol...poor salco :(

@Dakid no i was talking about you get hit with a move in shield is it faster frame wise to do buffer JC usmash than regular usmash. Cuz i thought u could bypass shield drop frames that way thus making it come out faster?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I usually am, I won't play as "safe" in friendlies per se, but I definitely like to take them more seriously more or less.

Also my first time using falco more extensively, recently people have told me I have a good pocket falco coming along, and I wanted to know if the footage confirmed that, before I try investing in him more.

Top Bottom