• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Banana Challenge: How Good is YOUR Tech Skill? (Third place still up for grabs!)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
THE BANANA CHALLENGE
v1.0

-=-
=-=-=-=-=-

Welcome, one and all, to the Banana Challenge! Here, each week a new string of moves and techs that Diddy can perform will be posted, and the first, second, and third Diddy players to post videos of themselves successfully doing these strings will be awarded points (Bananas) put towards their rank on our leaderboards! You will also be awarded Bananas if you suggest strings that are used in later weeks! So come, see just how good your tech skill is by competing in the Banana Challenge!​

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

RULES
Skip to the bottom for the current challenge

Points are only given out for Weekly challenges, submitting challenges, and other specified events/methods, but not for Ongoing challenges. The first person to complete a Weekly string will be awarded awarded 150 Bananas; the second, 100; and the third, 50. Sometimes the featured string will include a bonus, yet optional, challenge, which will net you extra points regardless of whether you are first, second, or third! You can also earn points by recommending new strings to be used in coming weeks (or ideas for Ongoing challenges). If your string or idea is picked, you earn another 25 points!

NOTE: Since this thread is just starting, and because I am terrible with Photoshop, I will be giving out 225 Bananas to anyone who could make a good banner/logo/picture for the Banana Challenge to be put at the top of the thread.
Types of Challenges
There are two kinds of challenges: Weekly and Ongoing. Weekly challenges are, obviously, updated and rotated out weekly, and the first, second, and third persons to post videos of them performing the challenge win. An Ongoing challenge is sort of like a HRC World Record idea, such that a challenge will be posted that is not a static, start-to-finish challenge, but is rather a test to see who can continue the challenge the longest. These challenges do not end with the end of the week, but continue on forever for anyone who wants to try and beat the top score. Bananas are not given out for Ongoing challenges, but the leaderboards for these challenges are never taken down.
Official-Type Rules
The first official week begins Sunday, December 27th, and runs through Sunday, January 3rd. Because this thread was posted early, if someone posts a video for the first challenge before December 27th, they will still be counted and awarded. The video must be of you performing the challenge in Training mode on Final Destination with default speed and NO HACKS, unless the challenge states otherwise. The video you submit can be uploaded from a cell phone or any other shakycam as long as we can tell you are performing the challenge, but it is preferred if you could find someone with a recording device to upload it for you.

-Weekly Challenges-

If nobody has posted a video for a given week's challenge by the end of the week, the challenge will be extended one more week before we move onto the next one.

If you submitted the challenge that is being featured that week, you will be ineligible to post a video of yourself doing it (because we don't want someone who has already done it to snipe first place!). If a challenge is deemed impossible (and that will take a good bit of discussion before that is concluded), the next challenge will begin the following Sunday.

-Ongoing Challenges-

Once the challenge begins, the first three entrants will take first, second, and third depending on their score. After that, anyone who enters a score higher than one of the top three will bump the other top three down as they are put in. If you were in the top three but were bumped off, then your name will be added to the “record book” pertaining to that challenge along with your score. The record books for each Ongoing challenge follow the current Ongoing challenge leaderboards.

In place of a Bonus, there will be a minimum that must be obtained before you can submit your entry. This is to keep people from submitting themselves performing the challenge for one second to put themselves in the record books early.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

LEADERBOARDS

1) Luigi player (150 Bananas)
2)
xDD-Master (100 Bananas)
3)
---------------- (0 Bananas)
4) ---------------- (0 Bananas)
5)
---------------- (0 Bananas)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ACHIEVEMENTS

Most First Place: Luigi player (1)
Most Second Place:
xDD-Master (1)
Most Third Place:
---------------- (0)
Most Accepted Challenge Ideas:
---------------- (0)
Logo Designer:
----------------

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES
AND WINNERS

First challenge is underway!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

DECEMBER 27th - JANUARY 3rd
CURRENT CHALLENGE:

Banana in hand > Dash Forward (optional) > Full Hop >
Wavebounce Popgun Cancel > Z-Drop > B-Air to pick up Banana >
Wavebounce Popgun Cancel
> Land roughly where you jumped

BONUS (100 Bananas):

Instead of a Full Hop, do a Short Hop.
lol impossible, no bonus this week

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ONGOING CHALLENGES

CHALLENGE 1

<Challenge>

1) ---------------- (-score-)
2)
----------------
(-score-)
3)
----------------
(-score-)

RECORD BOOKS

Challenge 1 said:
---------- (-score-)
---------- (-score-)
---------- (-score-)

Player-3

Smash Hero
dont worrys guyze
ill win this

its the b momentum shifiting except you cancel the peanut

or at least i thought

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
well what is this wavebounce nonsense then? How can you wavebounce without touching the ground, because that seems to be what is implied with the first wavebounce. I thought wavebouncing was basically just momentum from the popgun causing a slide on landing, and if that is correct then I don't see how this will work.

Banana in hand > Dash Forward > Full Hop >
Wavebounce Popgun Cancel > Z-Drop > B-Air to pick up Banana >
Wavebounce Popgun Cancel > Land roughly where you jumped
Part in bold should mean you land on the ground, meaning it is impossible to z-drop or...well do anything really involving the air since you are now on the ground, lol. Are there missing instructions like the use of a second jump or maybe you meant just the popgun cancel (and not the wavebounce) for the part in bold?

TreK

Is "that guy"
lol, this is just the kind of stuff I like.
I can't record vids anymore for a couple weeks tho, so it will be tricky.

I could give you ideas, I'm good at doing stupid stuff.

Dekar173

Justice Man
@AZ-

You know when Snake pulls out a grenade, only he was facing the right and moving to the right, but NOW is facing the left/moving to the left?

That's what he means by wavebouncing.

Perhaps it's B-reversing that he's talking about, whatever it is, it reverses your momentum, and the input is-

if you're moving "forward" and facing "forward"

popgun > mash directional stick BACKWARDS > shield

or if you're moving "forward" but facing "backward"

popgun > forward > shield

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea that isn't wavebouncing thats just breversals.

Wavebouncings is basically a result of a momentum reversal that pushes you backwards and causes you to slide on the ground in the opposite direction you are facing (facing forward, sliding backward). There is no "wavebouncing" in the air (afterall the name is just a copy from wavedashing in Melee and obviously that will only occur on the ground as well).

Dekar173

Justice Man
Wavebouncing PK-fires with Lucas happens in the air. I'm 100% confident that's where the term even came from.

People called it "B-sticking" for a long time until everyone realized how to do it without setting c-stick to specials. It may happen on the ground too, but its effect is much more pronounced in the air. It's exactly WHY Lucas can do his magnet pulling.

As for the popgun AT he's talking about, it's B-reversed popgun cancel.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wavebouncing PK-fires with Lucas happens in the air. I'm 100% confident that's where the term even came from.
The wavebounce effect though happens after Lucas lands on the ground and continues to slide backwards. Wavebouncing never referred to momentum chances in the air, it referred to those **** clouds people saw under Lucas's feet after doing a b-sticked pk fire. Those clouds only appear when you are sliding on the ground.

In other words we should just call the popgun
"B-reversal popgun cancel"

Jokes

Smash Cadet
God, I can do this in every speed but 1 and 1.5. I have to shield to cancel the second popgun though. >_<

I'm almost positive short hopping with it is impossible.

Jokes

Smash Cadet
FINALLY, O_O

I did it on FD at normal speed, now I just need to record the little gremlin.

(Does shield canceling the second popgun count?)

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
well this is just a reccomendation for a challenge. IDk if its anygood, but...

down special>jump>z>throw up>down special>jump>z>throw up>jump>'z'>catch first banana> throw up>Jump>'z'? catch second banana> throw up> jump> 'z'>catch first banana> throw up

etc. this can repeat as many times as you want, maybe 10, or to the person who can do this the longest... just a suggestion. idk if its any good or its too easy

Its up to yo

Player-3

Smash Hero
next challenge:
shoot more peanuts

do you have the tech skill to shoot peanuts for 8 minutes straight?

Player-1

Smash Legend
next challenge:
shoot more peanuts

do you have the tech skill to shoot peanuts for 8 minutes straight?
^^^this.

I did it once but I forgot you couldn't record replays in training...then my parents kicked me out, now I have to do it again =(

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I got this, vid should be up tomorrow or the next day

edit: do you have to run up, cause that seems pointless.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I found a few lulzy tricks with this
Like instead of cancelling the first popgun with my shield button, I let it charge a bit and cancel it with Z. It make things much much smoother ._.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Sorry for not posting... Christmas and whatnot. Now to get to what I've missed

B reversing is turning around with a b move though...regardless of the momentum

Edit: AZ, wavebouncing IS in the air

:09 of this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBulOwIs7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kox5-m5JM3w&feature=related
^This; I've always heard that tech as being "wavebouncing" no matter what B-move you use, and I knew you could do it with a Popgun Cancel.

you can't do this out of a shorthop, you can barely do this from a fullhop.
Tbh, I haven't had a Wii since my college Christmas break started, so I couldn't picture it in my mind if it was possible or not. You're right; you can't do it :laugh: My bad

Meh, I cancelled the popgun on the ground and didn't land at the same position ):

This is the best I could do for now (is it good enough?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2PGBqsDUa0
First!

^this

My vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o94IeIxY2dg

Lp = Luigi_player (The guy above me xD)
Second!

Is it okay if you do it like xDD master did it?

I finally could do it too xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KXw8z_ONc

And I started the wavebounce in the air... it's impossible to do it like that if you touch the ground first.
And Third! Lol you're the same person, third place is still up for grabs!

I'll take this tactic due to seeing how tricky it turned out being. Next time I'll test the challenges to be sure I'm giving you guys things that aren't impossible! xD Third place is still in the air, and I think the deadline will be next Sunday (by which time I should have another idea ready). I like the challenge idea you posted, Paladin77; I might use an idea similar to that, and you'll get the 25 points if I do :) More challenge suggestions are welcome! They may be used in following weeks!

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I just wanted to say, that there shouldnt be any challenge about "who does the most, wins" because, you can just wait until the last day if you beat the current high score (You may did it some days before already) and then post it, so other people dont know that there is a new highscore, so in the end there isnt enough time to beat the new one :O

I dont truely have any idea for a new challenge, but it would be stupid if it is easier than the first one, the problem is, I cant really think of many things that are harder xD

But here an idea:

Do 6 Popgun Cancels in one Full Jump + Double Jump (On FD, with landing on the stage again xD).

Bonus would be:

Do 6 Pivot Popgun Cancels (The Wavebounce thing).

I got 5 popgun cancels down, but I cant get 6, so meh, I think I already got 5 pivots lol, or 4 at least, so Bonus could be 5, if 6 is toooo difficult ._.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I've got a cool idea for a challenge.

Shoot a peanut, Instantly Dash after it and catch the peanut with a DACUS (Boost U-smash, whatever you call it.) the U-smash hits the opponent, then dependng on the character and their percent, Jump after the opponent, hit them with an aerial and Instantly throw the peanut after them. Bonus if the aerial is a Bair (because to instantly throw the peanut after Bair, you need to do the Instant Throw) and if the peanut hits them XD.

I've pre-tested all sections of this sequence and it works, so no telling me it's impossible. I don't plan on entering any contests, I'd just really like to see someone pull all of this off in one go.

Obviously not saying it's a true combo or anything, this is just for fun. (Cool thread btw.)

Luigi player

Smash Master
Here's an idea for a new challenge:

Stage: Battlefield

hang on a ledge > drop down > reverse wavebounced popgun cancel > doublejump > sideB (to the violet ball thing below BF) > walljump > wavebounced popgun cancel (back to the middle) > upB back to the ledge

If you want I can save and show a vid of this (already have the replay)... had to try this a bit, but it's still easier than the first one...

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
you know what's kinda hard? I'll give the person $1 IRL at the next tournament we're both at if they can record it and put the video on youtube. i can't upload videos to youtube so i want someone to do this for me. haha

Works on some stages, but not every stage. It's THE quickest way to get a banana while hanging on the ledge. Do it on battleield

Hang on the ledge - drop - peanut gun reverse cancel - jump - banana pluck - z catch - up b - regrab ledge.

What will happen is you will drop down, reverse, jump and banana pluck so the banana hits the stage, and then you can catch it and up b. This has to be extremely quick.

it's quicker if you cancel peanut reverses with z than R or L.

Do this 3 times in a row without screwing up. If you screw up, you WILL SD. lol

Top Bottom