• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guess who had a dream about Crash being in Smash last night
It's a funny coincidence because I had a dream about Shantae in Smash last night. She was in her normal idle animation like in her games, but she was on a stage in Smash. I got real excited about seeing Shantae in the game and before I got the chance to play her, someone came in the room interrupted me playing and the dream ended there. I was a little salty when I woke up as I think while I was dreaming it was real and Shantae was really in Smash.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
It's a funny coincidence because I had a dream about Shantae in Smash last night. She was in her normal idle animation like in her games, but she was on a stage in Smash. I got real excited about seeing Shantae in the game and before I got the chance to play her, someone came in the room interrupted me playing and the dream ended there. I was a little salty when I woke up as I think while I was dreaming it was real and Shantae was really in Smash.
Man, That's Gotta be a Stinger.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
But at the same time were not always talking about his chances in Smash on there, Sometimes there's a random user that personally doesn't consider Crash an "Icon" and many of us just explain why we disagree and just have a respectful argument about the topic.

Everybody sees the arguement/conversation and automatically assume "Here they go saying Crash Bandicoot is a lock for Smash again" When the conversation isn't even about his chances in Smash to begin with ,But his status as a video game character.
People are just in the “shut the **** up I don’t like talking about this character that is likely/discussed a bit” phase. It’s happened to K Rool, Hero, Banjo, and so on. The funny thing is that 9/10 times, it is not a crash supporter bringing up crash. Just keep supporting crash and be relatively civil.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
People are just in the “shut the **** up I don’t like talking about this character that is likely/discussed a bit” phase. It’s happened to K Rool, Hero, Banjo, and so on. The funny thing is that 9/10 times, it is not a crash supporter bringing up crash. Just keep supporting crash and be relatively civil.
Relatively civil?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
But at the same time were not always talking about his chances in Smash on there, Sometimes there's a random user that personally doesn't consider Crash an "Icon" and many of us just explain why we disagree and just have a respectful argument about the topic.

Everybody sees the arguement/conversation and automatically assume "Here they go saying Crash Bandicoot is a lock for Smash again" When the conversation isn't even about his chances in Smash to begin with ,But his status as a video game character.
I've been starting to wonder if it's arguable that Crash is the MOST iconic western character. His series is one of the oldest highest selling western franchises, and, perhaps most importantly, he's the biggest titular character. The latter gives a character more of a boost than some people seem to realize.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I've been starting to wonder if it's arguable that Crash is the MOST iconic western character. His series is one of the oldest highest selling western franchises, and, perhaps most importantly, he's the biggest titular character. The latter gives a character more of a boost than some people seem to realize.
As far as missing characters in Smash go, I agree wholeheartedly 👍

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, I would say Crash is pretty much the west's Mario. But in a way, he's more like Bugs Bunny while Mario is like Mickey Mouse if that makes any sense. Mickey Mouse is more relevant and popular than Bugs Bunny and makes more appearances in stuff nowadays while Bugs Bunny is still popular but less relevant than Mickey. Basically, Crash is the Bugs Bunny of gaming and Mario is the Mickey Mouse of gaming.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Obviously I hope it's Crash, but I'm getting to the point where I'd be happy to see ANY western character just so we can diversify the roster further. B&K and Steve have seriously made me hungry for more. I don't want them to be it...

Well, I would say Crash is pretty much the west's Mario. But in a way, he's more like Bugs Bunny while Mario is like Mickey Mouse if that makes any sense. Mickey Mouse is more relevant and popular than Bugs Bunny and makes more appearances in stuff nowadays while Bugs Bunny is still popular but less relevant than Mickey. Basically, Crash is the Bugs Bunny of gaming and Mario is the Mickey Mouse of gaming.
Funny you should mention Bugs Bunny, since the Looney Tunes were a big part of what inspired the Crash Bandicoot series!

I'm going to talk about this more in a post I'm currently writing...

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Obviously I hope it's Crash, but I'm getting to the point where I'd be happy to see ANY western character just so we can diversify the roster further. B&K and Steve have seriously made me hungry for more. I don't want them to be it...
Diversify the roster? Really? In a game featuring characters from Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Mother, Yoshi, Wario, F-Zero, Banjo-Kazooie, Ice Climber, Game & Watch, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, R.O.B., Wii Fit, Mii, Xenoblade Chronicles, Duck Hunt, Splatoon, ARMS, Sonic The Hedgehog, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Final Fantasy, Persona, Street Fighter, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Fatal Fury and Minecraft? Just because most of these franchises are from Japanese companies doesn't mean that Ultimate isn't diverse...

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Diversify the roster? Really? In a game featuring characters from Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Mother, Yoshi, Wario, F-Zero, Banjo-Kazooie, Ice Climber, Game & Watch, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, R.O.B., Wii Fit, Mii, Xenoblade Chronicles, Duck Hunt, Splatoon, ARMS, Sonic The Hedgehog, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Final Fantasy, Persona, Street Fighter, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Fatal Fury and Minecraft? Just because most of these franchises are from Japanese companies doesn't mean that Ultimate isn't diverse...
I said "diversify FURTHER". I never said the roster wasn't diverse. This is just a particular aspect that could use some fleshing out IMHO. Western gaming is important too.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I said "diversify FURTHER". I never said the roster wasn't diverse. This is just a particular aspect that could use some fleshing out IMHO. Western gaming is important too.
If you say so. Just don't get your hopes too high just in case. I know I say it a lot on here, but that's because Smash fans never actually take the advice when whatever fighter theories they have are actually proven wrong (I.E. they become salty even when they say they won't).

If the language barrier really is the reason why Sakurai prefers working with Japanese 3rd-Party companies, then we may not get someone like Crash, Master Chief, Shantae, Doomguy or Rayman. Microsoft is an exception since Banjo was okayed by Phil Spencer himself and Steve had been in negotiations for 5 years before finally releasing. I'd add that COVID may have halted Sakurai's potential to negotiate with western developers, but Fighter Pass 2 was finalized before the 2019 holidays (since the Byleth presentation where FP2 was announced was technically recorded in November 2019 before airing in January 2020) before COVID became huge outside of China, so I don't think we can blame the pandemic for Nintendo potentially not negotiating with western developers for Smash.

Just keep the thought in mind, you know? And I'm NOT saying you or anyone on the Crash forum has done this, actually this forum has been really good, but I've seen too many instances on other pages where people who supported other characters have said "No matter what happens, don't get mad and let's appreciate Sakurai and whoever gets in", only to turn into the saltiest of salty fans when whoever they wanted doesn't make it in, and get super angry at whoever does get in. And it's honestly really aggravating to watch.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I can't imagine just two western characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Crash or Rayman just have too much going for them not to be added.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want Crash and I oddly see a lot of stuff saying he and Shantae are the final two.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
If you say so. Just don't get your hopes too high just in case. I know I say it a lot on here, but that's because Smash fans never actually take the advice when whatever fighter theories they have are actually proven wrong (I.E. they become salty even when they say they won't).

If the language barrier really is the reason why Sakurai prefers working with Japanese 3rd-Party companies, then we may not get someone like Crash, Master Chief, Shantae, Doomguy or Rayman. Microsoft is an exception since Banjo was okayed by Phil Spencer himself and Steve had been in negotiations for 5 years before finally releasing. I'd add that COVID may have halted Sakurai's potential to negotiate with western developers, but Fighter Pass 2 was finalized before the 2019 holidays (since the Byleth presentation where FP2 was announced was technically recorded in November 2019 before airing in January 2020) before COVID became huge outside of China, so I don't think we can blame the pandemic for Nintendo potentially not negotiating with western developers for Smash.

Just keep the thought in mind, you know? And I'm NOT saying you or anyone on the Crash forum has done this, actually this forum has been really good, but I've seen too many instances on other pages where people who supported other characters have said "No matter what happens, don't get mad and let's appreciate Sakurai and whoever gets in", only to turn into the saltiest of salty fans when whoever they wanted doesn't make it in, and get super angry at whoever does get in. And it's honestly really aggravating to watch.
I appreciate the concern, but I assure you that isn't an issue with me personally. You can look at my post history to prove it. Lol

I get disappointed, but I don't hate on other characters. No matter who gets in they're always going to make SOMEONE happy, so I try to focus on that part.

That said, I do think more western representation is likely.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Here's one for y'all:

1. What's your history with the Crash Bandicoot series?

My history with Crash was pretty minor up until about 2 years ago. I, of course, knew who he was during the 90's, but that's mostly due to the commercials and the fact that I had friends that owned Playstations. I grew with up with Nintendo and Sega, and I'm not sure if I ever even wanted the Sony consoles as a kid (although I did eventually get a PS3 as a teenager). I actually can't recall if I ever attempted to play any of the original trilogy either, and I assure you I would've probably given up fairly quickly.

I never got into the games that came during the 2000s, but I was still always curious about the 90s games. It wasn't until the original Crash games finally came to the Switch that I got to experience the series after all those years. Now I've beaten the N Sane Trilogy (not 100%), and I'm currently working on CTR and Crash 4.

2. Why do you want Crash in Smash?

Before actually playing the games it was mostly because I loved how zany he was, and, like many people, I wanted to see the Crash, Sonic, and Mario rivalry finally be realized in Smash.

It didn't take long after starting to play his series for my reasons to become so much more than that.

I've always been a fan of platformers in every dimensional perspective, and Crash was no exception. Similar to games like Celeste and DK Country, Crash was a game that was challenging (sometimes unfairly so), but also very enjoyable. Crash always felt super responsive and agile, and honestly I never liked it when they took that control away with various vehicle and gimmick levels (although some were fine).

Aside from gameplay, this series has always been simply BURSTING with personality, especially when you look at Crash himself. After getting all the boxes in a level, the minute I saw Crash spit out a crystal, strike a pose, and go "BADAH BAAAA" I was in love with him and these games. He's just so EXPRESSIVE, and this was especially apparent in the original games as it was basically unheard of for a character to emote as much as Crash did at the time.

To expand on that, part of the reason I think Crash is so appealing to me is that it's like playing an old WB cartoon, and apparently that's exactly what they intended. Complete with comical deaths and exaggerated animations:

I think this is also why he'll fit into Smash so well, especially when you look towards the roots of the series: Smash 64. Everything is so cartoony in that game, from the sound effects to the original concept of killing opponents by knocking them into the abyss. The latter is exactly what Crash does to his enemies too! That's it, case closed! Crash is in the game... ;)

EDIT: 900th post! I'm on the road to 1k! Woo!

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I appreciate the concern, but I assure you that isn't an issue with me personally. You can look at my post history to prove it. Lol

I get disappointed, but I don't hate on other characters. No matter who gets in they're always going to make SOMEONE happy, so I try to focus on that part.

That said, I do think more western representation is likely.
Gotcha. And to be fair, I can see us getting at least one more western character this pass.

4chan, reddit gamefaqs just posts here and there
Ah yes, very reliable sources there 😆

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
True, but Smash Bros. has become Video Games: The Video Game and a lot people feel like there are still a lot of missing iconic western IPs missing from the roster as well as IPs from genres not represented yet like the FPS, Puzzle, Mystery, ect, ect. Smash Ultimate has a legendary roster that will never be much, but it still doesn't have everyone let alone every big name out there.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

That's it. I'm done. I can't do this anymore. If people are gonna go this far in their hatred over such a non-issue, and if fans and game journalists are gonna glorify this kind of pettiness, and talking like someone like me doesn't matter, then I'm gonna just gonna g away! Apparently I'm a problem in this fanbase, and the last thing I want to be is a f***** problem to anybody! So I'm leaving! Permanently! You all will never see me again! If I'm gonna hated for liking a certain type of character, or franchise, in a video game where they're not even as overrepresented as they cry about (only 20 sword-users out of 87 characters, and only 8 Fire Emblem characters out of 87 characters), then it's time to leave, before I become so depressed that I feel like I need to do something more drastic to end my suffering!

I'm sorry. Goodbye everybody. I hope you get Crash, or any of the other characters you're asking for.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

That's it. I'm done. I can't do this anymore. If people are gonna go this far in their hatred over such a non-issue, and if fans and game journalists are gonna glorify this kind of pettiness, and talking like someone like me doesn't matter, then I'm gonna just gonna g away! Apparently I'm a problem in this fanbase, and the last thing I want to be is a f***** problem to anybody! So I'm leaving! Permanently! You all will never see me again! If I'm gonna hated for liking a certain type of character, or franchise, in a video game where they're not even as overrepresented as they cry about (only 20 sword-users out of 87 characters, and only 8 Fire Emblem characters out of 87 characters), then it's time to leave, before I become so depressed that I feel like I need to do something more drastic to end my suffering!

I'm sorry. Goodbye everybody. I hope you get Crash, or any of the other characters you're asking for.
I'm sorry you're struggling. Not everyone feels this way about characters of which they are not a fan.

If this kind of stuff is seriously making you this upset, then I would agree taking a break would be a very good idea. Otherwise I would look up some coping skills.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Top Bottom