• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Praise the loooooord!! I don't have to work Tuesday, so I can watch the direct at noon! 🥳 Here's to our favorite marsupial's chances! If we somehow get a combination of Crash, Shantae, Lloyd, Yuri, Ryu Hayabusa, Master Chief, Spyro or Amaterasu for a double reveal, then I'll consider that a major win!
Same for me if it's a double reveal of Crash and Sora!

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
1623450618795.png

1623450657527.png

1623450688498.png

So PracticalBrush12 (who has been one of the more reliable people on these leaks) posted a thread with some guesses for E3 and I decided to ask a few questions about Crash (with one other person asking as well) and this is how he responded to each of them.

Figured I post them here to let y'all know! The answers are about what I expect and doesn't change anything for his chances, tho I find it interesting that his Smash sources are "dry" so that means Nintendo is really keeping it tight for the next one, which is good for them, I just hope with the E3 trend of revealing a big time character continues here.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
View attachment 318690

View attachment 318691
View attachment 318692

So PracticalBrush12 (who has been one of the more reliable people on these leaks) posted a thread with some guesses for E3 and I decided to ask a few questions about Crash (with one other person asking as well) and this is how he responded to each of them.

Figured I post them here to let y'all know! The answers are about what I expect and doesn't change anything for his chances, tho I find it interesting that his Smash sources are "dry" so that means Nintendo is really keeping it tight for the next one, which is good for them, I just hope with the E3 trend of revealing a big time character continues here.
I'm not surprised that his sources are dry at the moment on Smash. We don't hear smash leaks until a day prior at earliest, or within the day of the presentation. The only characters that have been leaked way beyond window of reveal were Steve and Hero. There's nothing heard from any character now from that long ago anymore, so only expect smash leaks to happen within a day or the same day of the reveal. I would keep an eye on Brush when we are THAT close, not now.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I finally just beat "Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time" last night so here's my review and take on it.

914wdLTcWJL._SL1500_.jpg

And I can safely say that not only is it the best Crash game in the franchise, But one of the best platformers I have ever played definitely up there for me with Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze which I consider the best the platformer genre has to offer both in 2D and 3D and in Crash's case... both.

I''m not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed at first when I found out Vicarious Visions wasn't tasked with a follow up after bringing back Crash back via N.Sane Trilogy, But "Toys for Bob" really understands Crash and absolutely nailed the feel of the game and expanded upon the foundation laid by Naughty Dog 25 years ago.

I really love the artstyle of the game and the portrayal of the characters, Crash and Coco Bandicoot are just absolutely adorable and ooze personality, charm and are expressive, Cortex always had me laughing with his constant banter and dialogue, Dingodile was another one of my favorite parts too, Tawna was ok, But I'll be honest she was my least favorite of the bunch and not really a fan of her design, But just when you thought a Crash Bandicoot game couldn't get any more cartoony than it already is this game turns it up and always had me really looking forward to the very next cutscene and had me feeling like a kid watching a cartoon.

Characters feel, handle and control great and better than ever before especially compared to "N.Sane Trilogy" which still played very well, But at times had those slippey edge hitbox miscues, Didn't get that with "It's About Time", The only noticable change I felt, But quickly adapted to was that the "Slide Jump" slows your momentum down a bit, But you get a lot more hangtime in this game regarding jumps compared to "N.Sane Trilogy", Dingodile plays great too and gave me "Luigi's Mansion" vibes handling him and was fun blowing up stuff with him using TNT Barrels, Tawna played well too and while the hookshot was handy at keeping enemies at bay, it's aiming can be iffy at times.

The quantum masks are implemented very well and serve their purpose, My favorite would probably have to be "Time Manipulation" just because it makes some seemlingly risky impossible task actually possible, Anti-gravity mask feels good too, But can be a little disorientating at times, While I did like the "Death Tornado" mask it's kind of long and slow at times and takes a while to control, But overall all worked very well.

The levels are pretty long, But i actually don't mind it too much, One of my favorite worlds was (Salty Wharf) "Pirate World" which gave me "Donkey Kong Country" vibes, Had some of my favorite enemies and one of my favorite tracks and levels in "Booty Calls" from the entire game besides the main theme and have been humming both themes the past few weeks, The soundtrack was pretty solid overall despite "Some" of the original tracks weren't too memorable, But a lot of good remixes in there from the original trilogy though.

The "Flashback levels" were some of my favorite and were great throwbacks and even shed some funny and interesting backstory regarding Crash and Coco, While they were tough at times, They were really addicting to play and never had me frustrated other than the last 2 levels at times when trying to break all the boxes.

Bosses were somewhat easy, But still pretty fun, Though I think some of them could have been more "Grander" and maybe turned up a level, But still solid.

The only unanimous major gripe that I think most can agree is that the collectibles for over 100% completion is absolutely brutal and not recommended unless you want to torture yourself, I ended up with only 50% completion and my best accomplishment was getting all the "Flashback Tapes" and 100% those with the exception of the last 2 levels because of lack of time, But that didn't stop me from really enjoying the game.

While I have always been fan of Crash Bandicoot ever since the PS1 era despite growing up with the N64 in the late 90's, This game has made me an even bigger fan of Crash Bandicoot and had me appreciate the characters Crash and Coco even more, I just absolutely love their character portrayal which is my most favorite thing about "It's About Time" and I really don't play a lot or have interest in a lot of 3rd party games or franchises as I heavily prefer exclusives and I'm kind of a picky gamer, But Crash Bandicoot has the honor of being really the only major 3rd party franchise (Spyro to a lesser extent too) in my Switch library because of somewhat history with the franchise and love for the character and playing "It's About Time" has just jacked up my interest in wanting Crash in Smash even more.

Pro's:

- Artstyle is more cartoony and superior to N.Sane Trilogy.

- Characters are cartoony, ooze personality, charm and are overly expressive, In game and especially the cutscenes.

- Characters feel great and is the best they have ever been handled in terms of control.

- Worlds and levels are colorful and feel alive.

- Great level design and layout that's tough, But still pretty fair.

Cons:

- Full completion is just straight up brutal and overkill.

- Bosses while good and enjoyable some of them probably could have been better and more spectacle.

- While the soundtrack was overall pretty solid the remixes standout more than "Some" of the original tracks.

Final Rating: 9/10

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's a mix of excitement and dread. In all probability, this is the make or break moment for all the fighters we'd like to see. A dream come true or a huge disappointment.
This is the best and worst part of this E-3. We’re going in fully blind and have NO way to predict anything

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
So uhhh, I gotta be honest guys. aside from Halo Infinite I wasn't very impressed with either the Microsoft or Square Enix presentations... Nintendo might have an easy E3 win AGAIN this year.
IF Crash is revealed for Smash, they would already win E3 based off of that pick alone (biased ofc) but in all seriousness, it would really make it a certain Nintendo wins it.

Also tomorrow might be a big day because if a reliable leaker (Practical) ends up leaking the entire Nintendo E3 presentation that includes Smash, we might be in for a ride (although from what I was told and what he said to others on that Reddit thread, he doesn't really know who the Smash character is, just as long as it isn't Fortnite Jonsey xD, according to him, but he said he would be fine with other picks and he did say that "It'd would be perfect to have it on E3 but honestly have no idea..." in regards of Crash at E3 and gave it a 50-50 chance, which is a neutral answer ofc but it's A LOT better then a straight up "he wont be there" type of deal)

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
IF Crash is revealed for Smash, they would already win E3 based off of that pick alone (biased ofc) but in all seriousness, it would really make it a certain Nintendo wins it.

Also tomorrow might be a big day because if a reliable leaker (Practical) ends up leaking the entire Nintendo E3 presentation that includes Smash, we might be in for a ride (although from what I was told and what he said to others on that Reddit thread, he doesn't really know who the Smash character is, just as long as it isn't Fortnite Jonsey xD)
I'm likely not gonna be on here much due to me having to work tomorrow, and I'm gonna do my best to avoid any Nintendo leaks Brush, or anybody else decides to post from tomorrow until the Direct on Tuesday. Luckily, I'll have Tuesday off to watch the Direct.

By the way, did anybody see the stories about Ice Climbers' neutral air spin attack apparently glitching recently?... Crash spins... you don't think?

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
I'm likely not gonna be on here much due to me having to work tomorrow, and I'm gonna do my best to avoid any Nintendo leaks Brush, or anybody else decides to post from tomorrow until the Direct on Tuesday. Luckily, I'll have Tuesday off to watch the Direct.

By the way, did anybody see the stories about Ice Climbers' neutral air spin attack apparently glitching recently?... Crash spins... you don't think?
Yeah I think avoiding social media where you'll see the leak + here might be a good idea. I don't blame you there! I usually would post some good info if I feel like its worth sharing. BUT if the leak happens tomorrow and he's in? Out of respect I would not post that in here

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Slept through Microsoft's Xbox conference, But didn't plan on seeing it, But from the sounds of it the only game I personally found somewhat interesting was Halo's re-reveal, Of course I was hoping for another Rare franchise revival (Preferably Banjo-Kazooie) ,But I've been burnt before and wasn't expecting much.

My Nintendo E3 is riding on Crash Bandicoot's Smash debut and the announcement of that heavily rumored Donkey Kong game (Which I have no doubt it's true), If those do end up happening then I'll be very satisfied.

Wouldn't mind seeing a couple more Mario spinoffs like Baseball or Super Mario Party DLC or sequel, Metroid 2D or Prime Trilogy and more Pokemon news on Legends Arceus and DP remakes in a seperate direct.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Also tomorrow might be a big day because if a reliable leaker (Practical) ends up leaking the entire Nintendo E3 presentation that includes Smash, we might be in for a ride (although from what I was told and what he said to others on that Reddit thread, he doesn't really know who the Smash character is, just as long as it isn't Fortnite Jonsey xD, according to him, but he said he would be fine with other picks and he did say that "It'd would be perfect to have it on E3 but honestly have no idea..." in regards of Crash at E3 and gave it a 50-50 chance, which is a neutral answer ofc but it's A LOT better then a straight up "he wont be there" type of deal)
Honestly, I'd argue that at this point, ANY character they reveal for Smash would automatically win Nintendo E3 this year.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards is weird sometimes... y'all are already well into page 188 and I didn't get a single notification...

Anyway... we just have to get through Monday now. Holy crap!
Yeah, this site likes to randomly stop notifying us of posts in threads we're following for some reason. I just check the Newcomer Speculation section once in a while to see if it's happening.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hey TDDolphin TDDolphin where did you hear the thing about the Ice Climber's spinning attack glitching? This could be big.
Papagenos talked about it in one of his latest videos from last week. He talks about it around the 8:42 mark.

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Papagenos talked about it in one of his latest videos from last week. He talks about it around the 8:42 mark.
Wasn't that glitch already known for a while?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just had a Crash in Smash dream last night. His reveal was not subtle at all. They showed the Smash symbol and then immediately showed N. Sanity Beach with the Crash 1 theme playing. The camera just kind of scrolled through the island until Crash appeared onscreen. Unfortunately it ended right there but I was still hyped. To think that this may be reality in just over 24 hours.

Top Bottom