• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BAT!!!

Gindler

Smash Champion
So I've learned that the bat is alot more useful if you don't C-stick it. When you C-stick it obviously is faster but if you do the mash A version and they spot dodge you can release it .5 second later and nail em' with it. Yes this is probably uber obvious, just thought I'd throw it out there for all the "the bat is useless" people.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I used to be one of those people, until I stopped crying about and actually did something about its nerf.

PK fire is kinda basic, but you can use that for a bat opportunity. Dtilt to make em trip works pretty good with the bat. THE JAB LOCK TO BAT COMBO IS ****!!!!

Using the bat off the edge works pretty good as a edge gaurd.
Power shield to bat is a great counter attack.

That's all that I can think of right now for ness, or, that's mostly how I utilized the bat to get those SSSSMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSHHHHHHHing hits...

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's how I've been using it this whole time but, unfortunately, the bat isn't one of those smash attacks where it has to wind up before it stops and charges. Because of this, even after you charge it, letting go isn't a lightning quick release, but instead still has a .5 second delay. Oh well, the charging is nice.

Some other suggestions would be a D-Throw into the bat. This is because a lot of enemies will often try to get a quick retaliation in after they DI to the left or right, which usually leads to a well timed bat.

In fact, many times, an unsuspecting (little DI) opponent, can get D-Throwed by Ness, then if you PK Fire in the direction they flew, and land on the PK Fire which leads to a virtually 100% trap - Enough time to bat them in the face.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
The bat is way better than people think it is. People think its useless now, but I still think it is good.

I LVOE pivoting this. Just as effective, or even better than a pivot PKF IMO.

You do it differently than a pivot PKF though.
To do it, you dash away from the attack, start ANOTHER dash animation right as the first one ends. You then do a quick dash dance to turn that dash animation around then SMAAAAASH!

Hard to explain. Maybe this will help.

N = Ness
----> = Dash
____ = floor

1. N----->
2. _____N>
3. _____<N
4. SMAAAAASH!!! < this way

VERY useful if you ask me.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
The bat can also hit Toad, making his spores s=come out, but since the bat is still out, it will reflect the spores :grin:

No Toad blocking the bat!

GhosTim14

Smash Cadet
I don't have a video, but I have reflected my bros aura spheres with the bat even though it was an accident, i can do it consistently which made me think....

Can Ness Bat ( Also works with Lucas stick) be a reflector?

Please respond

If this was known I'm sry but if this wasnt known I Want Credit:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

GhosTim14

Smash Cadet
Aww I thought i was the first to discover it b/c i have never seen it posted.:(:(:chuckle::chuckle:

I fixed my signature to link back to the person's thread that made this for me so you can see my entire signature:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
It was able to reflect since day 1

When I was like 5, I reflected Samus' fully charged charge shot and killed her last stock on total accident. I was like WTF!?!?!?!?!?

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
no i dont think so bcuz its too slow. Ppl will start punishing you if you use it too much. its only good for surprises and defensive manuevers

Masky

Smash Master
Awesome Melee story: In a FFA with friends, I was edgeguarding someone and decided to use the bat to hit them. A Samus used a fully charged charge shot from the other side of the stage at the same time though, which would have normally hit me. Somehow I simultaneously killed the person on the right with the bat, and reflected the charge shot with the back of the bat and killed the Samus. Good times...

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
@ EB360,

I believe it can but the timing and the hitbox that is open to this is a lot trickier. I believe it's true to it's animation though, the bat, after it was swung, should whip behind Ness and reflect any projectiles from there.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Yes the bat has a hit box right inside of Ness. This will reflect backwards. If make a Ness and another Ness with the bat at the same time that the one being hit is using it, the attack will cancel. So it should be able to reflect backwards. The timing will probably be too hard.

Top Bottom