• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well, just now got to this video. I'm seeing what everyone is saying about that bair edgeguard. His ability to time that ledge grab is really impressive in most of the situations he pulls it off. Loved that fair kill in the second Palutena battle. The Bowser battle was interesting because I've heard this sentiment a few times that "Bowser would do everything Ganon does but better" in this game. I don't know about all that obviously. This guy he played, assuming it was all the same guy, was no slouch either and liked using really annoying characters with good stage control options for the most part.... making the fact that Gungnir beat him even more impressive. I do wonder if he really did win every game as the videos imply or if they are just a select of his wins.
I don't think the Duck Hunt and Bowser were the same people as Palutena.

For the most part, I would say Bowser clearly has better overall tools than Ganondorf. Superior ground mobility is REALLY NOTICEABLE because it means a lot of Ganon's options in footises are riskier in this matchup especially when Bowser's hits are very good at giving him momentum. Bowser's Firebreath, Jab, and F-tilt also cover a lot of options easily, and Up-B out of shield still has to be respected in this game. Ganondorf does however have good punishes against Bowser and a slight advantage edgeguarding, so the matchup is close. Just Bowser clearly performs better in neutral than Ganon.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow, Shofu got mad disrespectful against that Ganon. I thought everyone by now knows that Ganondorf will not tolerate such blasphemy.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
It's worth noting that getting those early gimps against Mac are especially important for that particular matchup because of how the Power Meter works. The Meter goes up by 1/10 for every 10% Mac takes, but Mac needs to deal 33% to increase it by 1/10, so killing him at 70% or less means that he needs to deal 100+% in that stock for the KO Punch to even be a factor, while letting him live to 90% means that he's basically guaranteed to get a shot at it. Ganon players who can effectively capitalize on punish opportunities have a chance to neutralize one of Mac's scariest tools and make this matchup much more manageable.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ganon just looks way more fun. I really feel like the more finite hitstun, speed increases, and other general mechanics really make his punish game actually reliable!

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
mmcafe.net/nico for those who still can't see nico videos
Edit: saw the video. Love that ganon's brutality towards Luma

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
mmcafe.net/nico for those who still can't see nico videos
Edit: saw the video. Love that ganon's brutality towards Luma
It's actually a .com link. http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24502089 This is the video with the hell drop demonstration, for example. Actually pretty convenient for people without an account/too lazy to make one (me).

I'm digging the smart Ganon play we've been seeing in these videos. I don't know if he'll be good, but he looks like a lot of fun to use. I definitely hope we'll get to use custom specials as well, Ganon's look so good.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Username: Mangamusicfan
In-game name: Dennis
3DS friend code: 1891-2073-5876
Nintendo Network ID: Mangamusicfan
Palette Color: Goldendorf (alt 6)

Super_Smasher6

Smash Cadet
Hello, here's some video against random people online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lYHKK4DvBQ&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuD8ggysXbQ&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6BUh6C0mno&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY4sEDLCZ00&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZkblqtwFfo&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g

I would have way better video if i knew you could record online match sooner but nevermind i'll record some more as i play :)
And dont underestimate the usefullness of Ganondorf Up-tilt! i can't believe how many people are falling for it!

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Hello, here's some video against random people online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lYHKK4DvBQ&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuD8ggysXbQ&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6BUh6C0mno&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY4sEDLCZ00&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZkblqtwFfo&list=UUUFkHsuyLZFhpauk4jDL3-g

I would have way better video if i knew you could record online match sooner but nevermind i'll record some more as i play :)
And dont underestimate the usefullness of Ganondorf Up-tilt! i can't believe how many people are falling for it!
Nice matches. Liked Utilt. Changed Sheik's teleport trajectory.

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694
hey @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm add me, in the gabon usersUser name: PrimerTMT
In-Game Name: CarlosVa
3DS Friend Code: 2723-8519-5378
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: carlosva
Country of Residence: Mexico (first mexican ganondorf here) wohoo ahuevo :p
Palette Colour: Red Ganondorf

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Done and done.

@Z1GMA Here's my friend code, I've added you, add me back.

3626-0429-4546

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
i liked that wiz kick cancel to reverse flame choke against samus :surprised:

I loved wiz kick canceling so much, I'm glad it's back in this game. I'm really happy with how he has turned out, it makes the lack of thunderstomping less painful lol.

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
User name: @ Bittersweet Bittersweet
In-Game name: Bitte
3DS Friend Code: 2449-5765-1828
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: eskay64
Country of Residence: United States (MD)
Palette Colour: Old Manondorf (although opening up to Ganonsmurf)
Message: I used to roam the old Grimoire as Eskay, but I kinda disappeared in early 2011. And now I'm here with a new face and a new name.

EDIT: And here's a match that, while by no means intended to be high-skill-level, does show the massive range of Warlock Sword at around 1:58. http://youtu.be/ANFgCjxc6PM

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Random best-of-seven in For Glory today against a Falcon. At least I think that was my opponent's intention (he left after I got my fourth win).

Flame Choke (aerial and grounded) seems to be more easily techable like others were saying, but tech chases followed by a good punish are still an advantage Ganondorf has going for him. Play him patiently with good pokes, and capitalize on every hit you land.

I've found success in good spacing with RAR-bAir pokes, uAir blocks, and nAir edgeguarding. Surprisingly enough, nAir seems super easy to land from anywhere near Ganondorf.

Mister

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrMisterMisterMr
3DS FC
4742-4981-8845
User name: @ Mister Mister
In-Game name: Retsim
3DS Friend Code: 4742-4981-8845
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: MrMisterMisterMr
Country of Residence: United States
Palette Color: Ganonsmurf (8)

Jorf

Smash Rookie
twitch.tv/shofu/b/575607468
skip to 02:59:20
this guys ganon is monster, took shofu several matches to get a single win

DooshMcDoosh

Smash Rookie
Well since we are sharing some of the combos for ganon this time around i'll try and explain a few of the ones i use.
Because of Bair having so much power, fast start up, and knockback and at the minimal cost of almost no ending lag we can use it in a variety of ways:
1) u can SH Bair after run back jump foward(w/e that technique is called) then u can smack foward as ur character is hitting the floor(to pivot ur character in that direction)or hold foward then let it go as soon as u see ur character in the foward direction and then Neutral them in the face in case ur Bair gets whiffed or shielded.
2) u can finish also with a foward tilt instead of pivoting neutral.(way easier to do)
3)u can also hold foward as u do this and finish with pressing grab button if u know ur opponent is one of those that loves to shield grab after u hitstun their shield.
4) u can dash backward by smashing the d-pad as u r landing(buffer dash) and jump again or as ur dash animation is in motion you can smash in the opposite direction of dash or tilt and ull do a dashing tilt/smash backwards through ur dash(is as close to as a wavedash/displacement technique this game has)

On another note for flame choking options you can SH instant down B an opponent in the floor if they take too long to tech instead of the usual down tilt. with this technique i think it was against bowser junior maybe but it glitched once near the edge of the stage and it floated him away from the ledge.(the shockwave might have a mini-air wave of displacement)

Other things to know: you can spartan kick most projectiles in the game(except for fully charged ones like lucarios or samus's B) and it will glance the blow(this is due to hitbox overlay on ur foot NOT PRIORITY THERE IS NOT SUCH THING ONLY DISJOINTED HITBOXES OR NORMAL HITBOXES if someone wants me to explain i will in more detail but i rather u guys google it) another option is Neutraling them instead, i prefer spartan kick(foward tilt) because it is a longer disjointed hitbox which is good against exploding projectiles to not hit you(like link bomb and zelda's foward B[if timed accurately])

Down tilt now has a longer hitbox horizontally so it can also be used as a safe poke( it seems a bit faster since brawl so it might be worth it looking into this move's range and speed for a safe combo starter(or at least a good dmg adder)

Uair is on the same boat it was in brawl except for a few mechanics that mess it up in this game:
1) If you FF it, it will have landing lag(no more back legs as a setup for foward tilts like in project M or the FF trick near ledge to edgeguard with back legs)
2) harder to do on the 3DS/2DS cuz of the absent c-stick
3)faster startup means a need to get used to the moves mechanics again, and finding ways to abuse its power.

Dair is completely reworked( no more thunderstomping) so now it always has landing lag if SH. it also has a sourspot(which is fine not much of a difference really, more like it needed it). because of the invisible hand in ledges now, it is harder to edgeguard with it(better to just run out there facing back and Uair enemies away from ledge). Dair now only seems suitable to be used while on stage because of the new bounce mechanics that sends u down then back up from the stage.

Dash attack can eat through anything if timed properly(cuz of new armor frames).
Warlock Punch is still slow and hard to combo into(specially now with super fast dodging out of dmg in the air[no more combos])

I have however noticed a few tips in general for punishing ur enemies:
1)if they dodge as they r about to hit the floor they get landing lag(punsih with flame choke, Ftilt, or even dash attack for tech chasing airborne enemies[yes new dash is great])
2)u cant dodge imidiately after a dodge and the dodge animation is faster for all character(less frames active) so u can jump close after ur enemy and wait for them to dodge then peform ur attack, u will hit them as they come out of dodge or use an attack with high start up lag(like ganondorf's Fair when close to them)
3)to edgeguard ledge attacks( pressing the A button while on the ledge) roll into the ledge at the right time and their attack will miss while u r behind them rdy to punish them on thei recovery frames. u can also Dair ppl in this scenario too but be careful some ledge attack hit upward motions so they might hit u while u SH the Dair.

thats it for now

PS: if u r against little mac is a game of who stays on the stage longer, whoever gets knocked out tends to have a bad time getting back in, since he has armor frames on most of his smashes, use ur dash attack and flame chokes to start up some dmg. Bair then grab tends to work wonders against the noobie little macs.

Last edited:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Haha, oh man.

It's all the old faces (and quite a few new ones).

It's good to be back, guys.

User name: SaltyKracka
In-Game name: Salty/Meh
3DS Friend Code: 0103-9907-5084
Nintendo Network ID: N/A
Country of Residence: California, USA
Palette Color: OldManonDorf
Message: That Which Is Not Smashed Can Eternal Lie, And With Endless Aeons(or just 4 years), Even Brawl May Die

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Would you guys be willing to give me feedback on how I play?

Thank you so much!

I know I make some mistakes like not remembering about auto cancel near the ledge which causes me to die.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Would you guys be willing to give me feedback on how I play?

Thank you so much!

I know I make some mistakes like not remembering about auto cancel near the ledge which causes me to die.
Only advice I've got so far is that you could probably be working on your neutral game a little bit. Start off with RAR-bAir pokes until you've got a hit, and go from there. Don't just start with dSmash or Flame Choke, and reserve those for tech chase opportunities. The ones that miss will count a lot more against you than the ones that hit count for you. Basically just play more safely and more reserved. If you attack less and move more, you open yourself up to much less opportunity for your opponent to hit you. Just space out your opponents with bAir, fTilt, and fAir, and you should start seeing some big improvements quickly. None of it is matchup-specific, either.

Super_Smasher6

Smash Cadet

Hibernian99

Smash Cadet
Username: hibernian99
In game name: GANN
3ds friend code:5258-0547-6930
Nintendo network ID: cappycapiton
Country of residence: USA
Ganondorf color palette: white haired ganon

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin

Here are a few notable matches I had with Ganon, I'm not very good with him though, but he is a blast to play as. as you can clearly see when I play Ganon I fish for a specific setup.

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
User name: Playat
In-Game name: Playat
3DS Friend Code: 0473-7807-1815
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Playat
Country of Residence: Arkansas
Palette Colour: Old man Ganon