• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Although all of this video is in French, I found it very interesting:

Ganon Vs. Bowser Rap Battle
Since French is my first language, I decided to translate the 6 verses of this rap battle.

Translation:

--------------------------------------------------
Verse 1 (Bowser):
Bwahaha! Huh?! What is this? Peach has already arrived?
Oh... But who are you? What do you want, grandpa, you want to join the ranks?
Seeing your ugly mug, I'll put you with the Goombas, cool, right?
Huh? What?! This is Ganondorf Dragmire?
Sorry dude, but your princess is elsewhere.
But tell me, you enhanced yourself during all this time.
At this rate maybe you'll be stylish, in more than one hundred years!

Verse 2 (Ganondorf)
The lord of darkness against the king of imbeciles.
Let me remove my Triforce or this will be too easy.
A turtle? What torture!
This is going to take a while...
Wait, I call a plumber before I snap.
In the kingdom of baddies you don't have your spot.
You're just a fat Koopa who pimped his shell.
An obstinate kidnapper on an emotional trek.
You spit fire because Peach coldly rejected your affections!

Verse 3 (Bowser)
I'm bad to the bones, dude, you can't test.
You don't have any friend, you're the most hated guy.
You were born in a village of girls?
You should have stayed there.
As a transvestite, no one could have resisted you!
You mastered dark magic?
Alright show me how you disappear!
I'm even sure that Kamek must rival your powers.
A little blonde in tights, and bam! You get owned.
Your journey is so sad that it could almost move me.

Verse 4 (Ganondorf)
I have been king of Hyrule.
Can you say the same?
You're just chief of an army of kids' toys.
And don't play "tough guy", no one believes it anymore!
You lost all credibility disguised as a cat...
Can you teleport?
No, it's not within your abilities.
Already you take your Koopa-Mobile to travel.
Let my black magic raise an army!
While you'll play around with your "sworn enemy".

Verse 5 (Bowser)
At least I play sports!
I don't turn into a fat pig!
Have some fun, old geezer.
Make an effort!
You governed a kingdom?
Wow, we applause!
Twice now I governed the galaxy!
I have a progeny. And this kid is a little demon.
If necessary we'll kick your ass from generation to generation.
You're the most evil if you want, but you'll never be the best!
You know Super Mario? I'll show you GIGA BOWSER!!

Verse 6 (Ganondorf)
Because you think you impress me?
Call me Mandrag Ganon!
The fight can start.
You're just an arrogant guy, too sure of yourself, return to Earth!
You lived among the stars? I'll make you live hell!
I am immortal!
If you are king, call me God!
It is not I who let a moustachioed man grab me by the tail.*
You can deny everything, I have pieces of evidence.
I understand better why Mario catches so many mushrooms.**

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Well, I got my hands on smash Wii U. Anyone fancy fighting a very rusty Ganondorf who's getting used to using a pro controller?

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
User name: O D I N
In-Game name: ODIN
3DS Friend Code: 4098-3123-8629
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: GameAngel64 (Wife's NNID)
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Purple Dorf, with Connerydorf as a close second

I have no idea when I'll be on next, but I'm down for trying to get games in for practice.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Played some For Glory 1v1s this afternoon and ran into a pretty good Marth player. I won just over half of my matches with him but I only remembered to record a few of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PmUqhWeKo8

Learned a lot about spacing and my neutral game. Also missed some really embarrassing punishes. Critique is appreciated.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Local tournament, only one Double game recorded on steam (we won all other matches off-steam).

Here are my singles matches:

http://www.twitch.tv/smashsteve/b/594347900

03:04:30 - 03:18:30 - First Match
04:23:00 - 04:35:25 - Second Match
05:41:00 - 06:20:00 - Third, Fourth and Fifth Matches.

Placed third.

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Local tournament, only one Double game recorded on steam (we won all other matches off-steam).

Placed third.
Really resourceful plays at the edge in the first set. Would not have thought of some of those mixups. Amazing Uairs as usual.

You pressured the Pac Man pretty hard, just textbook execution.

Shame about the match with Rosalina, some risks you took didn't quite pan out.

You recovered like a champ against that Ness. Was really scary to see that first stock end up like that, having never played a good Ness myself, but you played out of your mind. I especially loved that patient Uair anticipating him letting down his shield on the platform. Only thing I would do differently is go for fewer edge trumps and more offstage aerials.

I notice you pull off Dthrow into Dash Attack consistently. Is this character specific? Most of the time (that I can remember) when I try that, it doesn't work so I do Dthrow into SH Uair.

EDIT: REALLY loving those edge trumps. I gotta try and do that more.

Last edited:

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
User name: @ G GameSystem
In-Game name: GameSystem
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1798-7588
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: N/A
Country of Residence: USA
Palette Colour: Default
Message: I got Smash 3DS on Black Friday. I'm not good, but I'm open to playing anyone for practice.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619

This win was sloppy, but I'd never faced a Bowser Jr. before so I'm proud of this comeback. His toy bombs and long-lasting hitboxes I had a lot of trouble with.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@ Shogger Shogger

I had a similar experience against my first Bowser Jr. I think the one you were dealing with was scarier though. He seemed to have a plan against you and was familiar with strings that would mostly work. Not sure I could've brought it back like you did here.

Nice comeback btw. It's amazing how fast Ganon can turn a match around.

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
@jahkzeng

Yeah, he seems like an underrepresented character so it's scary to think of what the best Bowser Jr players can do.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

Placed third.
The quality of that stream is great... only outdone by the quality of your play. I wonder what capture device was being used.

Loved the first set btw. Look foward to how you handled a good Pac-Man and taking mental notes about a lot of things you do. Some of it is being a good reader which comes with experience, but you also baited a lot of inputs out of the enemy well. Your clean uair play offstage really is a game changer as well.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619

Got some decent matches in on the 3DS. Looking for critique mainly. A few funny moments too :)

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
TwitchTV didn't screw me over this time.
Really, really, really nice stuff, Kalm.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Isn't Japan more aggressive beatdown oriented though? So we have a bunch of speedy characters and you basically have to read your opponent like a book to get anywhere?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnB__x_EPo4

Here's Gungnir against Songun [G&W]. It's the first japanese Wii U tournament but this doesn't look good for Ganondorf at all.

:059:
Yeah, it's a hard matchup for Ganon by design because G&W both juggles and gimps Ganon easily, but I do believe Gungnir played too aggressively and made some uncharacteristically bad spacing mistakes. G&W D-air has to be respected directly, but is more punishable on landing in this game.

This matchup is still in G&W's favor mostly on default settings due to N-air/U-air juggles and weak F-air gimps, but now that G&W can't Bucket Brake, it's winnable. Also Dark Fists and WDK both help Ganon in this matchup significantly.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Any dark lords wish to ditto on the wii U by chance?
I'd wish that. I've not practiced Ganon dittos at all yet. Been under the weather lately, so I'm just gonna put this on a to-do list - sooner than later hopefully. I know we're not geographically close, but as veteran fsmashers it only seems right that if I'm to get some dittos in, I get them in against someone I've fought before. Lag be damned. I've played Brawl over oceans~

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I'd wish that. I've not practiced Ganon dittos at all yet. Been under the weather lately, so I'm just gonna put this on a to-do list - sooner than later hopefully. I know we're not geographically close, but as veteran fsmashers it only seems right that if I'm to get some dittos in, I get them in against someone I've fought before. Lag be damned. I've played Brawl over oceans~
I've been playing a bunch of people on the faux finder recently oddly enough! And the best part is that there's been practically no lag!
Hit me up, broseph xD

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
So i finally got the Wii-U version (After the note for the package got stuck in the bushes for a weekend :confused:).
Anyone up for some dittos?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
@Tonsana , fill in your User Info here, plox.
It doesn't take long. You can find the model in the OP.
It'd be a shame if such a great Ganon wasn't recorded in the OP.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Just realized I didn't get added to the OP lol, Idr if I posted my info or not but I'll post it another time.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I commentate For Glory matches sometimes to help players improve. I was not expecting this to happen :p

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@ Conda Conda

Looks kinda like a typical Ganon match in my experience. You can hit your opponent less than half as often as they hit you. It's just a matter of getting in hits that count and avoiding a hit that counts from an opponent. Thing with Ganon is so many of his moves "count". And then there's Ganoncide. I've ended quite a few matches that way at this point. It's just a matter of an opponent lingering too close to the edge. It's a great quick finisher if the opportunity arises. I like when I take the opponent's first stock and they come back and knock my usually well damaged self off the edge and I can snag the Ganoncide during what someone that doesn't expect it assumes is going to be a typical recovery.

You record these commentation videos while watching matches on spectate? I assume you don't know the competitors and they likely don't know each other either. Interesting to give matches like this a voice.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
@ Conda Conda

You record these commentation videos while watching matches on spectate? I assume you don't know the competitors and they likely don't know each other either. Interesting to give matches like this a voice.
Yeah this was a For Glory match, but I normally commentate tournaments and also friendlies.

I've networked with competitive players on places such as smashladder.com for some new competitive blood to spotlight, and it's been working out great. I host 1v1s in "With Friends" mode, and players who want 1v1s to be recorded join my room. I'm essentially a server lobby that helps players improve as well as viewers. Plus I get to share thoughts about aspects of Smash and stir up conversation.

For Glory matches definitely deserve a voice though. Not everything content-wise should be about the best-of-the-best tournaments - Shofu and Zero show us that playing For Glory can be informative educational without being tournament gameplay. There's a lot of feedback and educational opportunities to be had when commentating For Glory matches.

Doing friendlies is much better than For Glory commentary - the players are generally more solid. But I think continuing to do For Glory commentary every once in a while is important, because players there play differently than you'd see elsewhere, even in For Friends mode. And it's good to have a source of commentative feedback to help players see what they should and shouldn't be doing.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Last edited:
Top Bottom