• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best controller for pro smashing?

Pizzaguylol

Smash Cadet
I've mostly seen pro smashers using the standard 1st party wired controllers. Is there any reason for this over the Wavebird besides maybe the rumble feature? I've used a Wavebird for years and never had a problem. How do my fellow smashers feel about the Wavebird?

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
The use of wireless controllers such as the wavebird, wiimote, or any accessory of the wiimote is because of the slight lag it gives, and we are already used to the GC controller. For wavebird, it may be a frequency interruption, or just the lag that occurs naturally.

HiImEvans

Smash Rookie
There is no **** lag.......... They use them because they like the feel and they are used to the controls.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Wavebird is fine. Any lag on a wavebird is negligible compared to a wired controller. The only possible caveat is potential interference at tournaments, but thats not typically a huge problem either.

LeTECK

Smash Rookie
I think for wireless mice , its like 1/60th of a second lag, i'd assume it'd be the same for brawl. In melee, that one frame could help your wavedash etcetc, i'm not quite sure about the effect it will have on brawl.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Wavebird is fine. Any lag on a wavebird is negligible compared to a wired controller. The only possible caveat is potential interference at tournaments, but thats not typically a huge problem either.
This is true,
I choose the wired controller just because I'm used to it... the wavebird also seems larger...
Sometimes I'll use the classic controller for fun, just because i have it and feel that i should at least use it a for one game....

Pizzaguylol

Smash Cadet
I'm used to the Wavebird, so I've been using it for smashing ever since Melee's early days. The regular controllers are great, but only if its a 1st party.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
there is a web site that has all the stuff about ssbb and they say gc controller is the best
*points to this forum*

Wired controllers are better, as everyone else says. The chance of slight lag, interference, and batteries dying can all destroy your chances of winning.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
In all honesty, none of these points have anything to do with why we used wireless controllers. The lag is so negligable that it is not an issue. It's the player's fault if he doesn't replace the battery, ect.

The reason that we use wired controllers is because wireless controllers are banned at large scale tournaments. For wavebirds, they are banned due to interference issues, considering the larger the tournament, the more likely you are to find someone using the same frequency.

Wiimotes are banned because of the time consuming proccess of syncing them everytime you move to a different system. With so many Wiis, you'd often sync to the wrong system and have to sync again. This can become a time consuming process, and is gotten rid of by simply banning the use of wiimotes. Having people leave two wiimotes at each system brings up the problem of who is responsible for the controllers. They can be broken while you're playing a match, stolen, ect. To solve that problem, we have people bringing their own controllers and keeping them with them at all times.

The only viable solution to all these problems is to only allow wired controllers. Unfourtunately for some, the game cube controller is the only wired controller, and thus the only choice at large scale tournaments at the moment.

vapblack

Smash Cadet
wavebird lag

at tourneys and such, signals could interfere, plus other people believe there to be a lag with wireless controlers. I never noticed
there is a LITTLE bit of lag. My friend has gotten used to it and plays smash only with WBs I can't stand it though and only use wired

miladmaaan

Smash Rookie
wavebird = lag

not that it's enough to actually take an effect, but the fact is that it's there and the pros want to avoid any possible disadvantage there is

Domebuddy

Smash Rookie
wiimotes are banned from most tournaments? ugh, now im screwed, ive been using the wiimote-nunchuck combo since brawl came out =(

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
i cant imagine the wireless signal would take any sort of noticable time to reach the wii more than a wired controller.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Aww, man, I've been using the classic controller all this time XD I hope they bring out some sort of adapter to make the CC wired by hooking it into one of the Gamecube slots. I enjoy the feel of the Classic much more over the GCN controller

FunPhax

Smash Cadet
*sigh*I believe I'm finally getting the wii and brawl tomorrow, but I don't know if I should spend extra money on a GC controller that I'm only going to use for one game. =/

WiNGSPANTT

Smash Rookie
Screw any tournament that bans Wii remotes/nunchucks/CCs.

It is to a point of sheer idiocy to force players to use a last gen controller for a Wii game.

The Wii remote stores your control schemes, and for god's sake it takes less than 30 seconds to sync 4 wii remotes, let alone 2.

If someone wants to deal with a miniscule delay and use a supported control scheme, it is ridiculous to insist otherwise. You might as well just hold Melee tournaments.

WiNGSPANTT

Smash Rookie
*sigh*I believe I'm finally getting the wii and brawl tomorrow, but I don't know if I should spend extra money on a GC controller that I'm only going to use for one game. =/
Don't bother; the wiimote/nunchuk controls are great. If you go to a tourney and they ban it, just laugh in their faces and leave.

Top Bottom