• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Marth vs Every Character

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
The debate is never ending. Who is the best marth? Mikehaze, Mikeneko, Mr. R, CJ? Instead of looking at an overall best, which has too many factors and is very hard to determine, let's look at the best vs each of the other characters. This way we can discuss specifics because at this point, it doesn't really matter who's the best marth. What matters is that amateurs and the best marths themselves can watch and learn from one another to advance marth as a whole to his maximum potential.

P.S. Ike is not up for discussion. CJ is the best marth vs Ike.

Other than that, let's open up the floor for discussion.

:marth: VS

Top Tier
MK- Mikeneko/Mikehaze
Oli- Mikeneko
Diddy- Mr. R
ICs- Mikehaze/Mikeneko
Snake- Mikehaze
Falco- Mr. R/Leon/Mikehaze
Marth- Mr. R/Mikehaze
Esam- Mr. R
Wario- Mikehaze/Mikeneko

High Tier
ZSS- Mr. R
Lucario- Leon
DDD- C.J./Neo
TL- Mr. R

Borderline Tier
Wolf- Pierce/Mr. R
GnW- Mikehaze/Mr. R
Fox- Mikeneko/Mikehaze
Peach- Mr. R
Pit- I have no idea.

Mid Tier
Rob- Dr. PP
Kirby- probably Neo
Sonic- Nike/Killlock
DK- Neo
Ike- C.J.
Shiek- unsure
Yoshi- unsure
Ness- unsure
PT- Mikehaze
Luigi- Neo

Low Tier
Lucas- Mikehaze
Mario- Neo
Samus-
Bowser- Nike
Falcon-
Puff-
Link-
Zelda-
Ganon-

clowsui

Smash Legend
DISCLAIMER: Watch these people to get better at matchups, but remember that Marth has all the tools to win, so if you are consistently losing, chances are you should just get better at the game in general.

Top Tier
MK- Mikeneko, aside from his recovery
Oli- Mikeneko
Diddy- Mr-R
ICs- Mikeneko/Mikehaze (Mikehaze has won vs a spread of good ICs while Mikeneko has lost to 9B and Tige, but Mikeneko plays the MU very well)
Snake- Mikehaze/Mikeneko
Falco- Leon/Mr-R/Mikehaze
Marth- Mikeneko/Mr-R (no footage of Mikeneko in the ditto but he is a better player than all the other Marths and this MU usually favors the better player)
Esam- Mr-R
Wario- Mikehaze/Mikeneko

High Tier
ZSS- Mikeneko/Mr-R
Lucario- Leon
DDD- C.J/NEO
TL- Mr-R

Borderline Tier
Wolf- Mr-R
GnW- unsure, probably Mikehaze or Mr-R
Fox- Mikehaze/Mikeneko
Peach- Leon/Mr-R
Pit- Mr-R

Mid Tier
Rob- Dr. Peepee. Dead serious.
Kirby- NEO
Sonic- Killock/Nike
DK - NEO
Ike- C.J.
Sheik- Mr-R
Yoshi- unsure
Ness- unsure
PT - unsure
Luigi- NEO

Low Tier
Lucas- NEO
Mario- unsure, maybe NEO or Kadaj due to Boss practice
Samus- NEO
Bowser- Kadaj/Mr-R
Falcon- unsure
Puff- unsure
Link- unsure, probably Mr-R since he has a godly Link and understands exactly how he works
Zelda - unsure
Ganon- unsure. I have an incredible amount of exp vs Ganon and I've beaten DLA's Ganon in tourney before but I was playing suboptimally + every Marth should be beating Ganon.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
Leon is the best vs DK and Falco. I think he's the best at the ditto as well although it would be interesting to see him vs Mikenoko because Mikenoko uses Marth's ground game in a way Mr. R doesn't.

clowsui

Smash Legend
What in the world @ Leon being the best in the ditto when all he does is go HAM + he is either negative or even w Mr-R in that MU

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I think im the best vs TL , didn't drop a game in 2 sets vs mjg and a set vs kingtoon

and i dissagree with the marth ditto depending on who's the better player. Playing vs marth as marth requires exp

:phone:

C.J.

Smash Master
I definitely agree with the above. Not the mention the set vs KT was a double two stock and there was, at least one that I know of for sure, two stock on MJG as well.
To compare, Mike goes last stock last hit vs Tinks frequently (G3 on more than one occasion as well).

Although, you didn't usmash OoS when they bair'd into you =(

MJG

Smash Hero
I think im the best vs TL , didn't drop a game in 2 sets vs mjg and a set vs kingtoon

and i dissagree with the marth ditto depending on who's the better player. Playing vs marth as marth requires exp

:phone:
Im not so sure about this tbh lol.

@chi. I played mikehaze 2 years ago in a MM lol. He struggled with quest so im not scared ;)

NH Cody

Smash Champion
^ SHADDAP MJG LOSE TO PIERCE7D MORE :awesome:

I am the best Marth vs Zelda. I 3stocked riot in friendlies :troll:

Both Mike and Mr. R are good vs Toon Link. There's no conclusive evidence to say who's "better" at this MU yet...

also from what I heard Mike went MK game 3 vs Jash at Apex so...idk if that set really counts for this purpose anyway, lol. We can only know for sure that it was 1-1 after game 2 with Marth

NH Cody

Smash Champion
lmao got emmm

these threads always turn out a joke. Yall should make a thread like mine in the TL boards where you ask people for MU advice after they've met a *competency* in the MU. Trying to figure out "who's da bes" at every MU doesn't really bring you anywhere and it'll lead to pointless arguing. + everyone isn't perfectly consistent at their MUs of expertise because no one's perfectly consistent in GENERAL.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Early morning johns. Ramin is def the bes vs TL, how did i forget his matches

and Marth dittos does require exp, this is true. But somehow I find it hard to believe that Mikeneko has a deficit of exp in the ditto? Idk I should've left that one as you only, Ramin - Mike has Tyrant for the ditto and you have Leon

and were you not responding to me or did you not see my disclaimer? being better as a player is drastically more important for any character than their MUs, but especially for marth

MJG

Smash Hero
Early morning johns. Ramin is def the bes vs TL, how did i forget his matches

and Marth dittos does require exp, this is true. But somehow I find it hard to believe that Mikeneko has a deficit of exp in the ditto? Idk I should've left that one as you only, Ramin - Mike has Tyrant for the ditto and you have Leon

and were you not responding to me or did you not see my disclaimer? being better as a player is drastically more important for any character than their MUs, but especially for marth
I made the statement that I made about Ramin since I didn't feel like he particularly did anything in that MU that made me feel like I had to be careful about my options. He's definitely the hardest marth I have ever fought though (wish I played leon at SKTAR).

Can't we all agree that S@nT is the best Marth vs. TL?

I haven't taken a single stock off of him since last year.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I made the statement that I made about Ramin since I didn't feel like he particularly did anything in that MU that made me feel like I had to be careful about my options. He's definitely the hardest marth I have ever fought though (wish I played leon at SKTAR).
i was responding to quest haha

but it's good to have this clarification. was playing mike any different?

and you haven't played me with TL yet :denzel:

clowsui

Smash Legend
luigi is *** vs marth too but mario has way less tools to do well in that matchup imo...besides there's way more luigis than marios LOL

MJG

Smash Hero
i was responding to quest haha

but it's good to have this clarification. was playing mike any different?

and you haven't played me with TL yet :denzel:
I know. I wanted to say that anyways and was gonna wait for ramin to post but said **** it lol.

I played mike 2 years ago or so and just from watching him play, its clear that he still takes a sort of "slower" approach to the MU in comparison to Ramin.

Also, I am the best Marth vs TL.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I played mike 2 years ago or so and just from watching him play, its clear that he still takes a sort of "slower" approach to the MU in comparison to Ramin.
Slower/more patient can be good even in this MU. Aggro styles are easier to punish but if you mess up you might take a lot of damage
Also, I am the best Marth vs TL.
MM at Apex my TL vs your Marth let's gooo

Player-3

Smash Hero
p1 is banned but told me that he wanted to tell u that im better tahn ramin at the mu but ramin is just better than me

but imo cj is the best at the DDD mu

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Main difference between you and kingtoon was that I could gimp him way easier , you on the other hand just didn't wanna die!!! I'm just glad I didn't get hit by that d smash bull**** at low %

p1 is banned but told me that he wanted to tell u that im better tahn ramin at the mu but ramin is just better than me

but imo cj is the best at the DDD mu
^ Cj is godlike/gay vs DDD

Also I just noticed that apparantly I'm the best vs kirby on your list Chi XD? wtf I've never played vs that character

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Bowser- Bowser is *** vs Marth.
Bowser is indeed bad vs. Marth, but I'd like to nominate Kadaj as the best Marth vs. him.

He used to play Bowser himself, and he has experience bodying me in tourney. :awesome:

He probably knows the MU better than anyone else, except for maybe Leon (who has played Acid).

D

Deleted member 189823

Bowser- Bowser is *** vs Marth.
It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. I can't believe you agree, Uncle. If you've seen what Zigsta, Vex and myself (I'm not really a noticeable Bowser or even a Top 5, but I play against players around my level) do against Marths, you'll see it's not terrible. I'd say that in practice, it's more of a -1. The MU chart states it's one of our easiest -2s, and I kinda agree with that (hence, it's not that bad.

I won't take a "marth fairs him all day and wins" seriously. I want more backup on that claim.

Also who the hell is CJ.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
@chi:

I disagree with DK. sorry ramin, but Neo is the best marth vs DK.

Imo, the snake MU should just be mikehaze. He has a winning record against every top snake in tourney, while Mikeneko loses to Shogun. Mike understands Snake better than Mikeneko.

Mike should also be in the best marth vs Falco (he's really good at punishing phantasm)

ZSS should just be Ramin and Ramin alone.

I agree with your choice for ROB after watching some vids lol

Mr-R

Smash Champion
@chi:

I disagree with DK. sorry ramin, but Neo is the best marth vs DK.

Imo, the snake MU should just be mikehaze. He has a winning record against every top snake in tourney, while Mikeneko loses to Shogun. Mike understands Snake better than Mikeneko.

Mike should also be in the best marth vs Falco (he's really good at punishing phantasm)

ZSS should just be Ramin and Ramin alone.

I agree with your choice for ROB after watching some vids lol
I agree with neo being > me vs dk , he plays the mu so well.. Also didn't neo beat trevor that one time ? that alone should put him as best vs ddd ( alongside C.J. )

and I also think leon should be up there vs snake, he won 2 mm's vs mine at the last tourney. and did you see what he did to MVD xD? ( <3 mvd )

clowsui

Smash Legend
I keep forgetting about people somehow. you guys are the best =) NEO is def a rapist vs DK

My bad @ Ramin about kirby

NEO is only up on trevor maybe one set but is 0-2 vs Coney. CJ is pretty good vs DDD. I guess since we don't have to go by results only (see: CJ vs Ike) I'll put both of them for DDD.

Mr-R and Leon have several wins on Quik, I guess it's better to say that they're good vs ZSS. I do remember Quik noting that Mikeneko eventually going even with him, and watching the video Mikeneko understands the fundamentals of playing vs ZSS...but we can only go off the evidence that we have now.

Mikehaze and Mikeneko are even vs Snake. Calico cat has beaten Dio, Shu, AND Kuroobi, you can't ever forget that just because he lost to Shogun. I could just as easily say Mike is worse than Mikeneko for going even against Havok, but he beat Mr-R's Snake when it counted (one game, mind you) and has beaten Ally several times (though his last win vs Ally was a while back). So after looking at data you just do subjective evaluation based on their style of play, and it's unclear as to who is better.

I asked Larry himself and he said Mr-R and Leon are both better than Mike vs Falco. Your move ;)

It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. I can't believe you agree, Uncle. If you've seen what Zigsta, Vex and myself (I'm not really a noticeable Bowser or even a Top 5, but I play against players around my level) do against Marths, you'll see it's not terrible. I'd say that in practice, it's more of a -1. The MU chart states it's one of our easiest -2s, and I kinda agree with that (hence, it's not that bad.

I won't take a "marth fairs him all day and wins" seriously. I want more backup on that claim.

Also who the hell is CJ.
Bowser is slow AND without reliable tools to zone/bait Marth.

On stage: Bowser is outranged, outdisjointed + outsped. He cannot compete w Marth's disjoints + superior movement and ends up getting in through hard reads or the Marth messing up a lot
Getting juggled: Bowser is free
Juggling Marth: Admittedly somewhat competent but doesn't have tools to consistently get Marth in this position
Ledge trapping Marth: Every character has a decent ledge trap on marth but Bowser is on the lower end of that scale imo, unless you can tell me why he isn't. Firebreath + Ftilt/Dtilt do not cover enough options simultaneously
Edgeguarding marth: cannot successfully cover many angles without taking significant risks
Getting edgeguarded/ledge trapped: Same category because this is so bad for Bowser. he either chooses to safely recover and get butt****ed by Marth's godlike ledge trap or he takes risks while recovering and gets reset continuously upon failure (which isn't difficult to trigger)

Bowser does not get +3'd by marth by the combination of sheer weight, a solid OOS option, hard hitting moves, and decent range. I would disagree with the MU chart in this case and actually put Marth closer to Pikachu/Peach/Snake/Pit level of bad.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
Mikehaze and Mikeneko are even vs Snake. Calico cat has beaten Dio, Shu, AND Kuroobi, you can't ever forget that just because he lost to Shogun. I could just as easily say Mike is worse than Mikeneko for going even against Havok, but he beat Mr-R's Snake when it counted (one game, mind you) and has beaten Ally several times (though his last win vs Ally was a while back). So after looking at data you just do subjective evaluation based on their style of play, and it's unclear as to who is better.

I asked Larry himself and he said Mr-R and Leon are both better than Mike vs Falco. Your move ;)
and Mike wins against Fatal, Havok, Razer, and Ally. and havok-mike is not even, I'm almost 100% sure Mike wins more.

I still think he's above any other marth at that MU.

And Larry is not the only Falco out there. I submit that Mr. r/Leon both should be up there, but so should Mike. Besides not dealing with Falco's cg that well, he plays every other part of the MU solidly.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Razer, Fatal, Havok, Ally gives Mike a slight edge in wins over Calico when it comes to Snake, this much is true. I mean I guess if I was to be consistent w my evaluation criteria I would have to give Mike the spot of "best Marth vs Snake" over Calico...so it's w/e. I still don't agree that he's above "every other Marth" in that MU though...unless you're willing to agree that the margin between him and the others is quite slim.

I mean, Falco is w/e. Mike has wins over SK92 and Arty also while Mr-R actually lost against Larry + didn't play any of the other important Falcos and Leon only played Larry once. Sure, I'll concede that Mike is also really good vs Falco. I just don't agree w his playstyle (though quite frankly I should keep my mouth shut as I'm very bad at playing against Falco)

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Also who the hell is CJ.
Just because I say a MU is bad, doesn't mean I say it's unwinnable!

Marth is most definitely a -2, which is bad, but not a hard counter. Zigsta and MrEh would agree with me (and have agreed with me) on this one. Any Bowser player or Marth player who knows the MU will tell you that Bowser can hold his own on the stage, but he's really in trouble when he's getting juggled or edgeguarded, like clowsui mentioned. It's a challenging MU, but a fun one, and I'll take it over most of Bowser's other top tier MUs anyday.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Marth's ledge trapping and edgeguarding are what really screws him in this MU. Marth is no Dedede though. Bowser just has to play a marginally disadvantageous Rock Paper Scissors on stage here. It plays more like a -1 in a neutral position. Then once Marth makes a correct decision and gets Bowserbl airborne, that's where things get messy, since Bowser takes a risk with any action trying to return to the neutral position. Uncle is pretty on point.

Top Bottom