• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Way To Increase Debate Hall Member Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I think we all have seen the harm lack of activity brings. Some proposed and potential ways to deal with this are:

*Events (Such as debate tournaments)
*More Threads
*More Posters

There are undoubtedly many more, but these are what come to mind.

Events

I think the greatest issue with events is the actual implementation. Ideas can be found easily enough in this group, but execution is lacking. This can be for various reasons, such as lack of participation (Which I believe is the given reason for never getting the DA tourney going...) all the way to procrastination anywhere in the chain. In my time here (which is admittedly limited) and my time observing the debate hall, I have not seen an effective event. I call any who have to offer insight, for it is sorely lacking in my own post.

More Threads

This room is filled with many people who, frankly, just want to debate. I do not find it likely that the topics themselves are near as important as the process of debating. For these people, the availability of threads is paramount. While this may not represent all members, I think it represents an amount significant enough to warrant effort to appease them. In the past, from what I have seen, people have brought this up, decided to "do something about it", made a couple threads, and proceeded to return to their normal level of activity. I am under the impression that even with many started threads, it takes thread maintainment and prolonged activity to really make a difference. Thus pointing the real issue to the point of poster activity, which I shall discuss in my next point.

More Posters

I think it really all boils down to this point, but maybe not in the way one would assume. When I say more posters, I not only refer to new posters from the Proving Grounds, but to members of the Debate Hall, who have, quite frankly, been inactive in these boards. I think the most effective and expedient way to increase general Debate Hall activity is to have the current Debate Hall members make an initiative to create more threads, but especially to post in threads, even if they are not knowledgeable in the area or particularly interested in the topic. I think a driver not to do this is fear. This is not meant as an insult, who likes being torn apart by others? But if members are willing to do this, to take that risk, I believe a more bright and active Debate Hall can be seen in our future.

RDK

Smash Hero
I suppose we could try taking a head count for Devil's Advocate again. Now that school's out for everyone, people are probably a lot less busy (as far as exams and whatnot). Are you guys still interested?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Eh, just because summer is over doesn't relaly mean there will be more activity. A lot of people work during the summer too, and activity might stay the same for some members or even decline if they really wanna stack that cheese.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
How about more debates based off of current events? The North Korea debate is a good example.

I'm not too good at this moral stuff.

I don't know...maybe I'm just weird.

But this sounds like a good idea. Taking debates from the proving grounds and making it our version sounds like a step in thr right direction.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
My thinking is that some people just aren't intrigued by certain topics.

I know this isn't true for everyone, but for me, all those science debates, etc. are boring.

The thing is, everyone in here has a different personality and different interests, so their ideas of "good" topics differ, and it's hard, if not impossible, to find a common ground for all of us Debaters here.

If we could think of some way to make a topic that everyone could apply to, I feel that it would greatly boost activity here.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
My thinking is that some people just aren't intrigued by certain topics.

I know this isn't true for everyone, but for me, all those science debates, etc. are boring.

The thing is, everyone in here has a different personality and different interests, so their ideas of "good" topics differ, and it's hard, if not impossible, to find a common ground for all of us Debaters here.

If we could think of some way to make a topic that everyone could apply to, I feel that it would greatly boost activity here.
This.

And well, when we had that old debate, "Fallacies in Christianity" it bought a lot of people together and kept them here. It went on forever.

I was not part of it.:(:(:( but,
I saw the amount of activity there; it was huge.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I think the problem is that it's difficult to find new topics. We find something, and then we shout our heads off for maybe a week, then the thread just kind of gets brushed under the carpet. Then, when someone thinks about the topic again, that thread still exists, and they don't really want to bump it. I'm not really sure, why, but the topic seems stigmatized after it's been discussed once.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the difficulty to find new topics. Plus everything is really heavy and I tend to turn away from religious debate because of my beliefs. I just need to find one topic to get me going.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
I feel there are two large contributors to decreased activity in the debate hall:

1. Expectation: we expect posts on a forum to be of a higher caliber than certain journal articles. I'm certainly guilty of this, and while I like choosing quality over quantity, maybe we have gone a little bit too far. Sometimes it seems if someone doesn't have a source backing up every single measly opinion they don't have a right to one in the first place where the debate hall is concerned. Maybe this is going too far, and discouraging people from delving into a topic in the first place? If we discourage even the slightest of contradicting opinions we run the risk of discouraging any interest whatsoever.

2. Ganging up. It happens quite a lot. There is an obvious majority in the debate hall of certain beliefs/positions/viewpoints/even methods of discussion. And when someone else sort of half raises there hand to throw another opinion out there we attack them like sharks. The previous problem of expectation compounds this effect further since someone with a new opinion not often shared with the majority may well not be as educated in the subject, but once they have been pinned against the wall by so many, they feel small and insignificant. Instead of continuing the discussion, or researching to further back their point, they just flee. It isn't always that we changed another person's opinion, just that the idea of opposing the norm was so daunting of a task it wasn't worth pursuing.

So maybe we need ways to encourage opinions, but be less critical of them? Everyone has opinions, and this debate hall when, even while being moderated the way it is today, used to be a lot more thriving. Maybe if we encourage people to share their opinions, but promise not to be overly critical of them we'll be more successful in rounding up some activity? I don't know, what do you guys think?

-blazed

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
For starters, let's keep everything that's been said in mind, and actually go ahead with something that looked promising, like RDK's DA event.

Who's still on exams mode? I'm asking because some friends of mine from the UK still are.

So maybe we need ways to encourage opinions, but be less critical of them? Everyone has opinions, and this debate hall when, even while being moderated the way it is today, used to be a lot more thriving. Maybe if we encourage people to share their opinions, but promise not to be overly critical of them we'll be more successful in rounding up some activity? I don't know, what do you guys think?
Sorry to be a stickler but how well do you think this would work in one of the more popular topics in the DH, religious debates? I do see your point though, I'd just like to know how practical it would be.

I do agree that not every ****ing statement needs a link, but they certainly add weight to what you're trying to get across.

RDK

Smash Hero
I think the biggest, #1 problem is that everyone here has generally the same views. Now I usually consider that a good thing, but it's just not conducive to arguments. A good debate forum has people of many different views, which is why I like to go over to places like Panda's Thumb and Uncommon Descent to argue my head off. There's a lot of discussion because both sides want to kill each other.

In here, it's completely different. Which is why I think Devil's Advocate would be fun and refreshing.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I suppose we could try taking a head count for Devil's Advocate again. Now that school's out for everyone, people are probably a lot less busy (as far as exams and whatnot). Are you guys still interested?
Who's still on exams mode? I'm asking because some friends of mine from the UK still are.
I'm still in exams mode, and I'm in the US :(

School ends for me on June 18 :(

But yeah, Devil's Advocate seems like a good idea :)

blazedaces

Smash Lord
Sorry to be a stickler but how well do you think this would work in one of the more popular topics in the DH, religious debates? I do see your point though, I'd just like to know how practical it would be.

I do agree that not every ****ing statement needs a link, but they certainly add weight to what you're trying to get across.
Just finished my exams this week...

Anyway, I absolutely agree. That's why I kind of threw it out there and asked what you guys think, because taken too far would lead to chaos. Plus, you're right that it definitely adds weight to your statement. I believe though we might be able to find a balance between the two extremes.

-blazed

Amide

Smash Lord
I agree that the Devil's Advocate thing is worth a shot. Also, I have refrained from posting lately, because A) School, busy. B) There aren't any current topics I'm seriously passionate about.

But I do want to be active again!

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I really think that a lot of the problems could be solved by increasing the number of debaters, but that is a rather slow process. That would itself help to create a lot more threads which would appeal to the wide range of interests that debaters here have. Its easy to say we need more threads and more discussion, but what really gets it going is going to be more members.

I haven't been posting as much lately because I have been working at my uncle's store and living with him for most of the week this summer (and he forgot the password for his wireless network). Ill be more active once I start my summer semester of college.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I'm very interested in that. But do you actually have like a full-fledged plan or just came up with that out of the blue?

Actually, something tells me you've been pondering over that idea for a long time:-p.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I hate to bump an old thread, but I felt this was important and helpful:

Once again, debate hall activity is dying. I assembled some old ideas and make a few general suggestions that I really think will help.

Events

I think the greatest issue with events is the actual implementation. Ideas can be found easily enough in this group, but execution is lacking. This can be for various reasons, such as lack of participation (Which I believe is the given reason for never getting the DA tourney going...) all the way to procrastination anywhere in the chain. In my time here (which is admittedly limited) and my time observing the debate hall, I have not seen an effective event. I call any who have to offer insight, for it is sorely lacking in my own post.
Events have become the most popular solution, however time and time again they have failed to increase activity. I think these might help in the long term, but they're not that great for getting the initial boost in activity. The most important thing is to get people to come back over and over to the DH.

More Threads

This room is filled with many people who, frankly, just want to debate. I do not find it likely that the topics themselves are near as important as the process of debating. For these people, the availability of threads is paramount. While this may not represent all members, I think it represents an amount significant enough to warrant effort to appease them. In the past, from what I have seen, people have brought this up, decided to "do something about it", made a couple threads, and proceeded to return to their normal level of activity. I am under the impression that even with many started threads, it takes thread maintainment and prolonged activity to really make a difference. Thus pointing the real issue to the point of poster activity, which I shall discuss in my next point.
I think this would help, but I think one of the main important factors is more variety (as SOLID alluded to). Many people don't like legal debates, many people people don't like scientific or religious debates, and many people don't like logical debates. The DH tends to be overrun with the first two kinds of debates I mentioned (yes, I realize there are many more kinds of debates than the ones I mentioned). Most top debaters are in college, and, quite frankly, are more knowledgeable in general than I am (I'm 15 and a 10th grader). I often feel like I have fairly solid logic but lack the general knowledge that older debaters have as a result of me having taken significantly fewer school courses.

I think many debaters such as me would benefit from more varied topics.

I feel there are two large contributors to decreased activity in the debate hall:

1. Expectation: we expect posts on a forum to be of a higher caliber than certain journal articles. I'm certainly guilty of this, and while I like choosing quality over quantity, maybe we have gone a little bit too far. Sometimes it seems if someone doesn't have a source backing up every single measly opinion they don't have a right to one in the first place where the debate hall is concerned. Maybe this is going too far, and discouraging people from delving into a topic in the first place? If we discourage even the slightest of contradicting opinions we run the risk of discouraging any interest whatsoever.
Blazed uncovered one of the big issues here. Often we see a topic, whether in the PG or in the DH, that we believe isn't up to our quality standards. And so we don't respond, and the topic goes to waste. However, I think it would be very helpful to give more topics a chance and post our honest opinions. Even if the topic seems uninteresting at first, if people start posting it often can lead to interesting debates since there is now more material to form opinions about.

2. Ganging up. It happens quite a lot. There is an obvious majority in the debate hall of certain beliefs/positions/viewpoints/even methods of discussion. And when someone else sort of half raises there hand to throw another opinion out there we attack them like sharks. The previous problem of expectation compounds this effect further since someone with a new opinion not often shared with the majority may well not be as educated in the subject, but once they have been pinned against the wall by so many, they feel small and insignificant. Instead of continuing the discussion, or researching to further back their point, they just flee. It isn't always that we changed another person's opinion, just that the idea of opposing the norm was so daunting of a task it wasn't worth pursuing.

-blazed
Ganging up kills activity, but it's hard to avoid. I definately believe that everyone should debate on their honest opinions, even if it means ganging up on a single person. But I think it would help to be slightly less critical of people when they have a differing opinion from yours. Even if the opinion happens to be that Intelligent Design has more merit than Evolution theory. If we act condescendingly towards someone's opinion, it often ends up being a flame war.

How about I just start making threads that discuss current events?
I think a current events thread would be very good. The OP could be updated every week or so to encompass any interesting current events, and debaters could pick out one of the topics on the thread and put their opinions out on the table, which would then spark good debates, or at least discussion. A current events thread could even inspire someone to make an individual thread that is about or related to one of the current events topics.

One last suggestion. I know this might receive opposition, but hear me out. I think a Debate Social Thread of sorts could help boost activity. This would be a thread where DH members could just casually talk or whatever, somewhat similar to the pool room.

Again, I think this would have the potential to spark new debate threads. But I think the main help would be the increased visits. More people would want to visit the DH if there were more lighthearted things to discuss. If someone is enjoying the relaxed social thread, chances are they will keep visiting the DH. And when more and more people visit the DH, some of them are bound to look through the actual debate topics, see something they're interested in, and post there.

In summary, I think the most immediately helpful things we can do is to make the current events and social threads, and be more open to different topics and opinions. Then the topic variety and events will help continue the activity boost in the long run.

Feel free to disagree with me or ask questions. ;)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I know I would come here more often if we had a social thread. It could also increase the number of people joining the PG if people see that we aren't always down to business.

I agree with pretty much all of what Krazy said.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
The social thread idea has been discussed ad nauseam & CK has always said no to it. What really makes us think that he would consider it this time?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'm not a fan of a social thread. Debate hall activity should be about debating, if most of our activity is not debating then I wouldn't really consider our activity higher.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of a social thread. Debate hall activity should be about debating, if most of our activity is not debating then I wouldn't really consider our activity higher.
But increased activity, forcing more people to check back for whatever reason, could inadvertently increase the number of debate posting. Think about it like this, if more people show up here, they would be more likely to add a post in a debate or start a debate. Also, whenever it is that I or someone rarely checks back to see the newest threads, checks a few, sees little activity and leaves, a social thread may entice a person to stay and post something. That might be enough momentum to get one into the debating spirit...

Just another way of seeing it...

-blazed

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
The social thread idea has been discussed ad nauseam & CK has always said no to it. What really makes us think that he would consider it this time?
I'm well aware of that, however that is no reason to not discuss the idea. I respect CK's opinions and consider them very important, but I'd like to argue that a social thread can be very beneficial to debate hall activity.

I cerainly understand your concern.

However, I believe, as I said, that DH activity would be boosted as a result of the making of this thread. Not only would the room be open to debates as well (which could spark new debate topics), it would also be a good place to discuss your idea for a topic, ideas for events, or other miscellaneous things such as that. As blazedaces mentioned, the fact that the thread would be bringing people back to the DH over and over would have a very positive effect on the actual debates.

It could also cut down on duplicate or short posts in the actual debate topics, as the social thread would be a more appropriate place to put those posts. For example, if a newly accepted DH member wanted to jump into the Intellectual Property thread but didn't want to have to read through all 240+ posts, they could go into the social thread and ask if their idea had been brought up already. If their idea had already been mentioned, they wouldn't waste time writing a huge essay about it as well as someone else's time who has to tell them their point had already been brought up and countered. If their idea hadn't been brought up yet, they could elaborate on it in the actual thread.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'm well aware of that, however that is no reason to not discuss the idea. I respect CK's opinions and consider them very important, but I'd like to argue that a social thread can be very beneficial to debate hall activity.
You may consider such a thread to be beneficial, but CK doesn't. As this is not a demorcacy, and the brass's words have far more weight than ours, arguing for this would be beating a dead horse.

tl;dr Why ask a question when you already know the answer to it?

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
A social chat would make the board more active in a non-beneficial way. Do you think just because we put a social thread in here that people would debate more? No, they would just talk more. If you want to talk then go to other social threads or pm someone.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I believe the lack of activity is due to the topics already discussed is repeated more than once. And there's not many new topics that would increase the activity because most of us would agree on the same idea or debate.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
A social chat would make the board more active in a non-beneficial way. Do you think just because we put a social thread in here that people would debate more? No, they would just talk more. If you want to talk then go to other social threads or pm someone.
Read these:

Again, I think this would have the potential to spark new debate threads. But I think the main help would be the increased visits. More people would want to visit the DH if there were more lighthearted things to discuss. If someone is enjoying the relaxed social thread, chances are they will keep visiting the DH. And when more and more people visit the DH, some of them are bound to look through the actual debate topics, see something they're interested in, and post there.
it would also be a good place to discuss your idea for a topic, ideas for events, or other miscellaneous things such as that. As blazedaces mentioned, the fact that the thread would be bringing people back to the DH over and over would have a very positive effect on the actual debates.

It could also cut down on duplicate or short posts in the actual debate topics, as the social thread would be a more appropriate place to put those posts. For example, if a newly accepted DH member wanted to jump into the Intellectual Property thread but didn't want to have to read through all 240+ posts, they could go into the social thread and ask if their idea had been brought up already. If their idea had already been mentioned, they wouldn't waste time writing a huge essay about it as well as someone else's time who has to tell them their point had already been brought up and countered. If their idea hadn't been brought up yet, they could elaborate on it in the actual thread.
Now, if you want to say something like "Boosted visits to this room won't help activity in debate rooms because..." or "I think that having a room where you can post thread ideas or event ideas isn't necessary because..." that's fine. But what you just posted is written in a way that makes me feel like you didn't really read all of what I said, especially about the bit about increased visits to this room helping increase debate activity. For example, "[going] to other social rooms or [PMing] someone" won't increase visits to the DH, and a large part of my point is that a social thread would increase visits to the DH.

I'd appreciate it if you show the specific parts of my posts you disagree with and why. Thanks for your input though, and no hard feelings. :)

I believe the lack of activity is due to the topics already discussed is repeated more than once. And there's not many new topics that would increase the activity because most of us would agree on the same idea or debate.
I think there are still plenty more topics to be discussed. I certainly agree with what you are saying to some degree, and we have exhausted certain debates. However, I think there are many more creative, logic-involved threads to be made. For instance, uber venom's "Moral Luck" thread was pretty succesful, and I personally found it to be very fun to debate over.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I really don't see why CK doesn't think it's a good idea. I know I would post a lot more it's just that I never check here. I just assume there are no new posts I want to reply to since this is so bad.

What lythium said. We could always implement it for a bit, and remove it if it gets out ofhand or whatever.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Personally, I think it would be better to just merge the DH and the PG at this point.
The problem is simply not enough new people to spark debates, not enough people willing to contradict points, and not many people who will play Devil's advocate. It really hurts debate activity when some of the most controversial topics suddenly become non-controversial due to this overwhelming collection of liberals and libertarians.
There is also a lack of threads. We seem to hold the DH to a higher standard so often times, I find myself not starting threads due to the simplicity of the topic. =/

RDK

Smash Hero
I would post more often, I just don't have any free time with school / social life and such.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Read these:Now, if you want to say something like "Boosted visits to this room won't help activity in debate rooms because..." or "I think that having a room where you can post thread ideas or event ideas isn't necessary because..." that's fine. But what you just posted is written in a way that makes me feel like you didn't really read all of what I said, especially about the bit about increased visits to this room helping increase debate activity. For example, "[going] to other social rooms or [PMing] someone" won't increase visits to the DH, and a large part of my point is that a social thread would increase visits to the DH.

I'd appreciate it if you show the specific parts of my posts you disagree with and why. Thanks for your input though, and no hard feelings. :)
------------

I think there are still plenty more topics to be discussed. I certainly agree with what you are saying to some degree, and we have exhausted certain debates. However, I think there are many more creative, logic-involved threads to be made. For instance, uber venom's "Moral Luck" thread was pretty succesful, and I personally found it to be very fun to debate over.

I did scan over your post, I went back and re-read it and I still stand for what I said.

Why? Because, I find making a thread like that is just an excuse for you guys to be "lazy" (sorry if that offends anyone). What I mean by that is, there are tons of social threads on Smashboards already, if you thought a social thread could spark a good debate, then go talk on one of those threads.

Also, I really think it is a lame excuse, to say that you guys can't think of ideas, and put that as a reason why the DH has been inactive. Lets all remember why we were accepted into this room... We are good debaters and we are suppose to stay active to stay in this room. If I can't think of an idea I don't just go "well that sucks, guess I shouldn't write a debate at all" Of course I don't do that, I was accepted into this room to deliver and I will try my best to do so. If I can't think of a debate I go and look for one, it's as simple as going to Yahoo, or AOL's homepage, and reading the stories that are on the front page. There are several ways to find debates, you could even just go and scan smashboards.

EXAMPLE: I could go to the Pool Room and see a thread about Subway Sandwiches, I can easily think of two debates I can make from just seeing a post about Subway, one is, is Subway really healthy for you, or do they just advertise that? and Which is better and why? -Subway or Quiznos?
... Anyways point of the story, you were accepted into this room to be active, so step up to the plate and do so, we don't need a social room for this, even though a social room could bring more visitors to the DH if we all stepped up to the plate like I said, that would bring more visitors as well, and for the right reason.

And I don't care how busy you are, there is ALWAYS going to be times where you have nothing to do, and why not slowly day by day add on to a debate you are making?

I always write down when I think of a good debate, if it came from talking to my friends, just thinking, or something I just came across. It's a good idea for other debaters as well, that way when you have time to write a debate you have a lot of choices on what to write about, and you don't have to sit there and waste time trying to remember what topics you had planned out before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom