• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

THuGz

Smash Lord
Rizk saying the same thing 3 times isn't funny.

Also I agree with tutu, someone explain what play-in means. Doesn't pools determine who makes it into bracket?

I think MI T.O's need a lesson on how to seed.

idk I think its dumb that without fail I play TC every tourny.

Like it generally goes for me

Round 1 varies... round 2 Lain.... losers round round varies losers round 2 TC... then I hit SK and get eliminated. By the time I lose to SK I'm advanced far enough in bracket that I don't particularly care... but i have played TC every tournament for the past 4 tournaments I've attended.

And I don't mind the fact that I lose round 2... I mean I do, but more often than not there's nobody I should be facing 2nd round that I could feasibly beat... but does it srsly have to always be lain? lmao

Idk I think it would just be better in general if we started seeding so that we don't have people playing the same people every tournament.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Seeding should be communal. Although tbh I think seeding worked out really well at this tourney, since gifts did it when TC was in a match and me and Roller all agreed on it, I just think that you have bad luck tutu rofl. It's to be expected in local tourneys with entrants who all see each other all the time.

PS: sf tonight or tomorrow night anyone?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Seeding is not built to predict who plays against who in losers' brackets.

Why wouldn't you?

Barring upsets/two people who go back and forth every set you can generally tell who is going to win/lose in a certain match. I don't see the reason to not provide a variety of matchups between players.

also Thugz how can it be considered bad luck, if people are the ones doing it? Like if I'm not considered the 2nd highest seed in the tournament I without fail play Lain round 2. If i get a first seed in pools and are not considered the 2nd highest seed I play lain round 3. I'll be in Lain's pool... and then play him round 2 in bracket lmao.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, technically, seeded players playing each other at the same point in bracket every time means that it's being done exactly right, which is why a couple of people in Smash community advocate introducing "inaccuracy" in seeding, whether it's for "we play each other all the time 'cause we live next to each other" or "I lost to this guy for the past five tournaments in a row". Combined with the fact that in 3rd round of brackets with 16 people, there are only four people remaining in winners' bracket anyway, I don't see much problem with having to play lain by then.

If you want variety in match-ups in a bunch of locals that don't tend to take up more slots than a 16-person bracket then might I recommend Swiss?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yeah....when our regular player pool consists of the same 12 people + some randoms and seeding after pools is fairly consistent then good luck trying to make bracket different.

I mean I really paid attention to those things this tournament and tried to make it different. I mean no matter where I got put for example I was going to play someone I always ****ing play 2nd round lol You act like its easy lol.

And at least you played Lain in Winner's Finals this time.

Point is our regular players always make it further into the bracket with the exception of Zinoto this weekend. And after a few times, there are always going to be repeat matches from previous events. You act like we have the same scene size we had last year. Its not that simple.

:phone:

THuGz

Smash Lord
Does anyone wanna have a big sf before we leave on friday? Like tomorrow or thursday night, at mason or Roller's or something?

You guys are right, its super difficult for me not to be on Lain's side of the bracket every tourney. Like if wasn't there then they just wouldn't run. Every tournament I was at last season Lain was on my side of the bracket. MK banned? lain round 2 Rizkin1? Lain round 2 The one where June and ally happened to enter, big surprise after Junebug(who i played round 2) winner went on to play Lain. Idk maybe im *****ing over nothing. I'm sorry if I am, but like srsly why am I always on Lain's side of the bracket barring extraordinary circumstances?

Last tournament was an exception because I had the 2nd seed out of the 1st seeds in pools, due to Mikey being an inactive last season. Basically for various bad reasons I got seeded like I was SK or Kenny.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
For the record, assume that Lain is an obvious 1st seed for the tournament. If you're obviously the 4th best person there, then you're guaranteed to be on lain's side of the bracket. There are a few other combinations that put you even closer to lain (or ranges of skill estimates that give you a 50% chance of being really close to lain)

What's The Point

Smash Master
I'm good for smash this week. Roller said Thursday when I asked him today.

fZk, I kinda doubt I'll want to go to SiiS if I'm still in MI by 9. By Thursday I assume I'll either have people to drive or be set to double up in Gift's trunk.

My bad at the one where I played Junebug 2nd round I got a 3rd seed in pools

I see the secret to me not playing lain round 2 is to get a 3rd seed. Yellow card me now imo

also Kevin wont it be a triple up in Gifts trunk? Me You and DRDN lmao

o wait using my logic Me+DRDN=1DBPM so its really like you riding with DBPM in gifts' trunk

What's The Point

Smash Master
This runs the assumption that Lain isn't going, which everyone has already accepted. And if he were going I could just drive him, but the likelihood of him leaving before 4 is so small that it doesn't matter. Along with new job issues.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Kevin's car:
Kevin
FzK
Lain
Gio
DRDN
Tutu
Someone I'm forgetting.

Assuming any 3 of those people join you Kevin, can't you go to SiiS? I don't understand why there's so much hesitation to have another MI car

THuGz

Smash Lord
All of those are unlikely, yeah, but assuming Kevin saves you two half black trunk riders from being sent to the back of a van, only one of those 3 has to pull through with the plan.

Thats right I can rhyme.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Gio probably has work, Lain probably has work or flakeyness, fZk isn't in MI till 9, DRDN is being driven by Gifts. Technically Tutu is in Gift's car too.

I'm not against a 3rd car but I'm not driving 5 hours with just one person. Yes, if I get another person it'd be fine, even better with two. But I'm not expecting anyone to suddenly decide to go.

Gifts car is himself, Tech, DRDN, Mikey, and SK. No one is in a trunk, unless I don't drive then either Tutu, or Tutu and myself are in it.

Thugz just stop trying to plan things.

Gifts wants to avoid A2 all together, but i also don't want to have to split gas between 2 people :/

So like if we can get 3-4 people for the ride id more than willingly go in Kevin's car... its just id really rather not split the cost of gas 50/50

THuGz

Smash Lord
I was assuming DRDN didn't actually have a spot in Gift's car because he keeps saying he's riding in the trunk, which I figured he wouldn't do if there was another car available to drive down.

fZk

Smash Lord
I'm good for smash this week. Roller said Thursday when I asked him today.

fZk, I kinda doubt I'll want to go to SiiS if I'm still in MI by 9. By Thursday I assume I'll either have people to drive or be set to double up in Gift's trunk.
That's what I thought, I figured I ask anyways. Still I will throw my controller and some extra clothes in my suitcase just in case.

Top Bottom