• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Dre the Ace

Smash Ace
Look in your closet and find a shirt from when you were in 4th-12th grade (depending on how old you are) that you can still fit into. Those new jeans you just bought (stole if you're really cool), dump some white out on it at random places (not a lot, it has to look like an accident when you were making art) and make sure to bohemionize it (skip to 6:08 unless you are a Nicktoon fan from early 90's).

Then you need to fohawk it up because that was your style before every other douchebag started doing it, lots of hairgel in the front, very little in the back. Make sure your glasses have tape over them (the color on mine is bright orange). As far as shoes, Chucks are overrated for this as this is too common. Wear some sort of clog or if necessary, Birkenstock's.
Lmao, amazing.

D

Deleted member

i decided to listen to lights because of how much you keep talking about her

i am visibly upset

oh man she has an energy sword

why

Yasuº

Smash Rookie
Sonic isnt as bad as people think he is. Just give the MI sonic a chance to hit more offline tournies and show u how good sonic is k. and these MI badasses. The detroit ones, do they have an SWF or aib account?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I just finished Angel Beats! It was so great, and I will man up and admit that I legitimently teared up at the ending. It was similar to how I felt when I watched Code Geass R2's ending.

:phone:

Roller

Smash Legend
So, I have a request for MI tourneys that occur before apex that have not yet posted their OP/ruleset. PLEASE use the APEX ruleset. I had a ridiculous number of sets go to rainbow yesterday. Some of them wound up being MK dittos. While this may or may not be considered okay by you as an individual. It is not at all representative of what sets at Apex will look like.

I find it absurd that my bracket match with DRDN went to rainbow game 2 with him going toon link vs my ICs. Did I win? Yeah. Does that help me or EITHER of us for that matter to prepare/gain experience for our characters in the long run?

...no.

Me vs Blade coming down to MK dittos on Rainbow is even more absurd. He told me he has NEVER cp'd rainbow before in his life. He also, did not (to my knowledge) use mk in a single other game in that entire tourney. And certainly doesn't consider himself to be an mk player.

The only legit match I played on rainbow all weekend (imo) was vs Tech. Since he went Wario, a character that he has actually used in tourney before, and it's a stage that made sense for his character. In adition, I used pika in this game, a character which I actually use.

Please stop this bastardization of tourney experience.

/b*tching

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I agree Roller, like I said at BWW, I will try to run a tourney in December that will use the Apex Ruleset.

As for you Hot_ArmS....

respect.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Blade is an AiB marth player. He is a solid player but hasnt attended a tourney since last year. I'm glad he came back and did well for being so under practiced.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Yo Oro don't you worry about that hahah, I'm going to start Eden of the East, Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, and Big-O this week :yeahboi:

Also i got u added on MAL so suggest stuff for me ;)

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
So, I have a request for MI tourneys that occur before apex that have not yet posted their OP/ruleset. PLEASE use the APEX ruleset. I had a ridiculous number of sets go to rainbow yesterday. Some of them wound up being MK dittos. While this may or may not be considered okay by you as an individual. It is not at all representative of what sets at Apex will look like.

I find it absurd that my bracket match with DRDN went to rainbow game 2 with him going toon link vs my ICs. Did I win? Yeah. Does that help me or EITHER of us for that matter to prepare/gain experience for our characters in the long run?

...no.

Me vs Blade coming down to MK dittos on Rainbow is even more absurd. He told me he has NEVER cp'd rainbow before in his life. He also, did not (to my knowledge) use mk in a single other game in that entire tourney. And certainly doesn't consider himself to be an mk player.

The only legit match I played on rainbow all weekend (imo) was vs Tech. Since he went Wario, a character that he has actually used in tourney before, and it's a stage that made sense for his character. In adition, I used pika in this game, a character which I actually use.

Please stop this bastardization of tourney experience.

/b*tching
I went RC to get you OFF IC's becasue they shut Kirby down and the boat would be me just floating away and I didnt want that so I went TL so I could attack while I run if you went MK or Pika you would have seen Kirby and I really feel I would have won.

I would throw a Side event of Apex rules at mine but then I think most people wouldn't enter my main event so I wont do that

Roller

Smash Legend
I know WHY you went to RC. What I'm saying is that it is ****ing ******** that there are stages that should "force" people off of their main character. It's really ludicrous. A STAGE? REALLY? A stage should give one person's character a bit of an advantage over the other person's character. It should NOT make the other person's character completely unviable. It gives bad players free wins unless people pick up a whole new character just to handle the stage. Not the other person's character, but the stage you are fighting on itself.

I especially dislike that there is a double standard. Brinstar, Rainbow, Delfino, etc are all legal and favor chaaracters with great aerial mobility. The only stage that REALLY helps out characters with control over the ground is FD. The problem is that FD can be banned. You can not ban all of the aerial favoring stages. That's BS. The stage control chars have to settle for stages like BF and SV, on which those aerial characters can just camp the platforms to hell.

Which begs the question, DRDN, why the hell do you have stages with obstacles flying over the ground like the mariokart stage (it's so stupid I didn't even take the time to learn it's name.); and stages like mute city (which fits into the first category too) and skyworld which allow for heavy sharking. Meanwhile, Bridge of Eldin is banned. Why? That's stupidly bias, and it is blatantly obvious that a kirby main made the list to favor himself.

I've been being pretty laid back about the issue until now. But virtually all of my matches with the only notable exception being Coco going to a stage which gives my character the absolute **** (Coco not taking me there solely because I chose to ban it vs him over Brinstar, since I already saw him take Ori to rc.) has changed my laissez faire stance on the issue.

Tech, I would appreciate it if you, as a member of the URC could bring my complaints about what happened at a URC event, regarding their stagelist to their attention. Since they said when they were created that they would listen to what the people had to say and would fix the list in the event it turned out having a negative effect on tournament experiences. I believe that me being forced into playing characters other than the one I use virtually EVERY SINGLE SET is an occurrence that should be noted.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
I stopped reading after line 1 but ill read the rest later it doesn't make ics unviable as you can tell by me NOT going kirby id still get shut down in MY CP and I wasn't going to have that happen so easily your CHAR shut mine down so I think if possible the stage should try to get you off ics or put you in a position where your CGs don't make some MUs unwinnable I would love for someone to tell me how K vs ICs is winnable when every attack can be grabbed from

Roller

Smash Legend
How would I know that? I stopped reading.

See the problem...

Also. You could have just waited until after you finished playing to respond, instead of responding hastily. There isn't exactly a time crunch on a forum thread conversation. The lack of reasoning you have shown just now is evident in your stagelist and matchup views as well.

Roller

Smash Legend
Ok, I read. I wont be reading any more of those posts until a third party informs me that you have anything of substance to say.

First of all. You not picking Kirby on your own CP doesn't prove anything other than the fact you don't know how to properly CP. Saying that you picking another character proves somehow that my character IS valid is a ridiculous logical fallacy which I wont even acknowledge beyond this comment.

There are many ways I could think to play Kirby on RC vs ICs, if you can't think of them then somebody needs to let you know how to play your character on what is arguably his best stage. I'm not giving you any more help than the stagelist has already given you.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
The stage list sucks, I agree. But based on your logic, FD should be banned too, that stage forces lots character switching, both to and from their mains.

:toonlink::drmario: basically :dedede: ***** :wolf:

Also, Elden is banned because it has permanent walk offs and on the complete other side of the spectrum it's enormous and makes running away and camping and floating away (I played a match against a Jiggs once and he just pounded across the top of the map for 2 minutes before he just started laughing and quit out of the stage).

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Let's keep it civil please

I know WHY you went to RC. What I'm saying is that it is ****ing ******** that there are stages that should "force" people off of their main character.
Roller, nobody forced you off of your main. You are totally free to play ICs on RC. Players do it all the time.

It's really ludicrous. A STAGE? REALLY? A stage should give one person's character a bit of an advantage over the other person's character. It should NOT make the other person's character completely unviable. It gives bad players free wins unless people pick up a whole new character just to handle the stage. Not the other person's character, but the stage you are fighting on itself.
It sounds to me like you knew the rules at which the game is played, and you STILL decided to pick a character with an obvious and major flaw. Why shouldn't your opponent be rewarded for picking a character that isn't as flawed as yours? Sounds like a sound tactical decision on their end.

I especially dislike that there is a double standard. Brinstar, Rainbow, Delfino, etc are all legal and favor chaaracters with great aerial mobility. The only stage that REALLY helps out characters with control over the ground is FD. The problem is that FD can be banned. You can not ban all of the aerial favoring stages. That's BS. The stage control chars have to settle for stages like BF and SV, on which those aerial characters can just camp the platforms to hell.
So in the current system the major "stage control characters" (aka tier A and B minus a few exceptions, MK being broken because he's amazing in the air AND can control the stage with his zoning tools but he's banned [optionally, if he isn't banned at the tournament, you might just start there with your complaints since it wouldn't require a major global rule change] so a non-issue) still have major amounts of success despite this inherent double standard. Sounds like there really isn't an issue if they are still managing to find success as a whole.

Which begs the question, DRDN, why the hell do you have stages with obstacles flying over the ground like the mariokart stage (it's so stupid I didn't even take the time to learn it's name.); and stages like mute city (which fits into the first category too) and skyworld which allow for heavy sharking. Meanwhile, Bridge of Eldin is banned. Why? That's stupidly bias, and it is blatantly obvious that a kirby main made the list to favor himself.
I don't think Mute City is a stage in Brawl. Port Town Aero Dive was considered legal by the BBR Recommended ruleset for what it's worth. Mariokart Circuit had some discussion towards legalization as well, but was voted down. IDK My BFF Jill at skyworld though

I've been being pretty laid back about the issue until now. But virtually all of my matches with the only notable exception being Coco going to a stage which gives my character the absolute **** (Coco not taking me there solely because I chose to ban it vs him over Brinstar, since I already saw him take Ori to rc.) has changed my laissez faire stance on the issue.

Tech, I would appreciate it if you, as a member of the URC could bring my complaints about what happened at a URC event, regarding their stagelist to their attention. Since they said when they were created that they would listen to what the people had to say and would fix the list in the event it turned out having a negative effect on tournament experiences. I believe that me being forced into playing characters other than the one I use virtually EVERY SINGLE SET is an occurrence that should be noted.
I would recommend getting better on the game one stage which is usually the +3/+4 stage (assuming nominal notation out of the 13 stages where +6 is the best stage, +5 second best, -6 the worst, -5 second worst, 0 is 7th best/worst, etc) and your +5 stage on game 3. I would also recommend getting better on your apparent -5/-6 stage. That means getting better with your character or picking a new one that is better suited for the stage.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Lux you had to come in before he could respond to my thing about FD. I was about to call him a bad player and everything :(
or at least the mindset

DeLux

I didn't say he was bad. He's just complaining about his own decision to pick a severely limited character that STILL has comparative major amounts of success to other characters despite this flaw. I think he should fix his character decision making process.

You know I've been top 5ing around the MWW literally forfeiting my game 2's every time if I'm behind by more than 50% on a stock, so I don't feel much empathy for people that don't like the stages lol

*note: ninja'd on robs spoiler edit

Roller

Smash Legend
The stage list sucks, I agree. But based on your logic, FD should be banned too, that stage forces lots character switching, both to and from their mains.

Also, Elden is banned because it has permanent walk offs and on the complete other side of the spectrum it's enormous and makes running away and camping and floating away (I played a match against a Jiggs once and he just pounded across the top of the map for 2 minutes before he just started laughing and quit out of the stage).

You would be correct, except you have te option to ban FD. And I agree you should have that. However, ICs can not ban both RC and Brinstar(which is way worse even than RC imo).
Let's keep it civil please

Roller, nobody forced you off of your main. You are totally free to play ICs on RC. Players do it all the time.

...I did. He told me he was trying to "force me off." I was responding to the implication he made, that he could do such a thing.

It sounds to me like you knew the rules at which the game is played, and you STILL decided to pick a character with an obvious and major flaw. Why shouldn't your opponent be rewarded for picking a character that isn't as flawed as yours? Sounds like a sound tactical decision on their end.

I'd say this is a solid point, except for the fact that I do not know the rules by which the game is governed. Because there is not consistency. Unity says one thing, DRDN's tourney says another, APEX says another. And 2 of those rulesets both of which are used in MI, ban rc and brinstar...

I don't think Mute City is a stage in Brawl. Port Town Aero Dive was considered legal by the BBR Recommended ruleset for what it's worth. Mariokart Circuit had some discussion towards legalization as well, but was voted down. IDK My BFF Jill at skyworld though

I think the BBR was wrong to do that. Clearly they agree, since you used that key word, "was."

I would recommend getting better on the game one stage which is usually the +3/+4 stage (assuming nominal notation out of the 13 stages where +6 is the best stage, +5 second best, -6 the worst, -5 second worst, 0 is 7th best/worst, etc) and your +5 stage on game 3. I would also recommend getting better on your apparent -5/-6 stage. That means getting better with your character or picking a new one that is better suited for the stage.

No complaint about this response. I always work to get better.
And Lux, @last post. The midwest west is meh at best. But my point is that it is stupid that you have to go to the extreme of forfeiting game 2 frequently simply because of the stage. Which I've done in the past as well.

DeLux

I'd complain that it were stupid if I didn't have the option to pick my character after the stage is selected. But with the current procedure, I have that right so if I don't have any options better than ICs there, that's my problem, not the ruleset's

I said "was" because I dont' know if the BBR RS is still considered current or if it's been relegated to a relic of the past.

and @ the inconsistent rules things: That's the point of Unity and I wish people would support it even if they didn't necessarily agree with rulings. It's probably the reason why I'm still involved with the URC despite being on the minority of every decisions since joining lol

Top Bottom