• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Roller

Smash Legend
What up meeks! What up old peeps and new! I am returning to East Lansing Friday! HYPE!

I am planning on throwing a smash fest the weekend of the 25th, not sure what day, depends on what works best for the EL community! Let me know what works for you guys! I will be posting this in the MI melee thread as well.

Melee and 64 only! None of that wanna be shiiiiaaaaat!
Woah. I forgot you were a person.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
I remember teaming with that man his first tourney, we got second to ally+someone it was fun

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
I miss the Smash Cafe tourneys.

Except for the last one when that one ****ty band performed during tournament matches.

Last edited:

Vayseth

Smash Master
Sooo I have Smash for 3DS

I'm at Gamer's Gauntlet every Wednesday and this weekend I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:

Vayseth

Smash Master
I mostly play magic the gathering there so you can use my 3DS while I jam my cards yo.

Panda! I met up with Omni and Wu the other day. It is good to be back here in a way. Good to be back here... JUST IN TIME FOR ANOTHER SMASH RELEASE.

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I mostly play magic the gathering there so you can use my 3DS while I jam my cards yo.

Panda! I met up with Omni and Wu the other day. It is good to be back here in a way. Good to be back here... JUST IN TIME FOR ANOTHER SMASH RELEASE.
Haha yeah I heard you're making a comeback in Michigan. If I was still around we could play the new Smash together like old times lol

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This is the second time I have come back from Japan with a new smash brothers before anyone else. Might have to do it again for Smash 5.
LOL yu should definitely do that for sure. Why'd you come back to the states anyways? Miss the greasy food?

Wat.

You have left us Mr. Dr. Professor SamuraiPanda???

Where are you at now?
Yeah dawg I peaced out a few months ago. I live in Phoenix for now. Though I might be moving soon again (could be back to Michigan, who knows). I really want to get into Smash 4 competitively though, so I might just have to make a scene down here if it doesn't already exist.

Vayseth

Smash Master
do me a favor and point out the differences between lucina and marth for me, all i know is that lucina has a really fast run speed
I'm sure players much better than I can give you an accurate response to that soon enough. I'm downloading the full game as we speak and won't have her unlocked for a while yet.

LOL yu should definitely do that for sure. Why'd you come back to the states anyways? Miss the greasy food?
It was time to move on to something real. I love it over there and miss my friends like crazy but, I need to start working toward an actual career. Also, I needed to be in MI for new smash, AMIRITE PEOPLE

Y.Linkpwnsurmom

Smash Journeyman
Ha...wow, this thread is still going. Been playing a little PM with omni, thinking i might wanna throw my chips back in the whole scene here.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
It was time to move on to something real. I love it over there and miss my friends like crazy but, I need to start working toward an actual career. Also, I needed to be in MI for new smash, AMIRITE PEOPLE
Ew thats so... adult. Being adult sucks. Also, wanting to play competitive Smash while a) doing residency, b) making your own game, and c) dating might be the worst decision of my life. But totally worth it. MI smash for life.

capn'

Smash Rookie
What's happening,

Windsor kid poppin' through here, just trying to check the pulse on the scene. Are there any weekly events in Detroit? I work stateside and was hoping that I could find a crew of people to play PM with on a regular basis. Just wondering if anyone can point out some spots to hit around town, cheers.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Unlocking stuff is the worst. My thumbs are killing me. Also totally jealous of these guys on the treehouse stream basically getting paid to play smash vs each other.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Unlocking stuff is the worst. My thumbs are killing me. Also totally jealous of these guys on the treehouse stream basically getting paid to play smash vs each other.
Thought it was relatively quick to get all the unlocks?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Ahhh good point. Custom moves seem interesting. Wonder if they'll be tournament legal for the most part or not.

Far as I can tell they aren't massively op (cept Ike's Aether 2 but he needs the help). I'm sure there will be a few broken ones though. Found any particularly good ones yet?

Also is is it just me or are most the stages garbage?

Vayseth

Smash Master
Haven't tried them at all. I wanna get used to the game in its original form before I start customizing stuff.

Also, I will be at Gamer's Gauntlet every Wednesday from ~6 pm if anyone wants to swing by and play.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
One thing I wonder about is how TOs are going to deal with omega stages and ban lists. Like, if you ban FD then you auto ban all omega stages? Are omega stages bannable individually or all together in a group?

Guess we'll see.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
One thing I wonder about is how TOs are going to deal with omega stages and ban lists. Like, if you ban FD then you auto ban all omega stages? Are omega stages bannable individually or all together in a group?

Guess we'll see.
It is going to be one hell of a discussion I will give you that. A lot of the TOs in the ruleset discussion group have the Japanese Version of the Game and are playing it, so now we have a decent footing in getting an idea of legal, counterpick, and banned stages for the 3DS version.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
It is going to be one hell of a discussion I will give you that. A lot of the TOs in the ruleset discussion group have the Japanese Version of the Game and are playing it, so now we have a decent footing in getting an idea of legal, counterpick, and banned stages for the 3DS version.
Except that the majority of 3DS stages are horrendous for competitive play, and the For Glory mode exclusively uses FD. I almost feel like, watching the game all weekend, that Sakurai did what little competitive balancing he normally does just for FD stages and ignored platform stages. Because he believes the Japanese competitive scene with an extremely limited stagelist represents the entire world I guess.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
It is very true that many 3ds stages are buns, I think it is very unexplored though what stages can be considered okay without their fd counterpart

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
It is very true that many 3ds stages are buns, I think it is very unexplored though what stages can be considered okay without their fd counterpart
While I haven't seen too many stages played, looks like the Earthbound stage might be okay and the Tomodachi Life stage might work too. Possibly Corneria because AFAIK they may have removed corner infinites so wing camping might not be the best anymore. Haven't really seen many people play other stages and it'll also be interesting to see what TOs do for walk off stages.

If I were to TO a Smash 4 3DS tournament tomorrow, I'd make BF FD and Yoshi's neutrals. Omegas, Corneria, Tomodachi Life, Earthbound stage, and Nintendogs CP. Banning omega bans all omegas. But thats without seeing all the stages once yet. I'd also allow custom moves but not equipment. For 3DS Miis could be legal but I expect them not to be legal for the Wii U (the balance of a Mii changes depending on size of the Mii, would be insanely difficult to make sure all tournament Wii Us have the "correct size Miis" that a Mii player would want to use) so on virtue of that fact alone I probably wouldn't allow them.

Oh and ZSS already has an infinite. Only on Robin though. Same infinite she had in Brawl only on ROB. I'm really curious to see if they'll be balance patching the game. Far as I can tell Sakurai just kneejerk reacts to things for balance so it very well could be a bad thing if its ever patched. Apparently EVERYthing Zero used to win the invitation with ZSS has been specifically nerfed lolol.

Last edited:

Pratmire

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pratmire
3DS FC
4356-1795-6599
Hey everyone, I just recently joined Smashboards. I've only really played SUPER small tournaments locally in SE Michigan, specifically Metro Detroit area. I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards a thread or anything that has a list of tournaments. I'm also just looking for FC's of anyone planning on playing Smash 4 on 3DS and Wii U.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Roller

Smash Legend
Welcome to the scene, Pratmire!

The Michigan Power Rankings thread usually gets updated with the tourneys that get announced each season, idk if it's updated right now tho. And not many post-smash 4 tourneys in Michigan have been announced yet.

There are also fb groups for Michigan Melee, Michigan Brawl, Michigan PM, Michigan Smash 4, Michigan State Smash, and (U of) Michigan Smash.

Last edited:

Pratmire

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pratmire
3DS FC
4356-1795-6599
Welcome to the scene, Pratmire!

The Michigan Power Rankings thread usually gets updated with the tourneys that get announced each season, idk if it's updated right now tho. And not many post-smash 4 tourneys in Michigan have been announced yet.

There are also fb groups for Michigan Melee, Michigan Brawl, Michigan PM, Michigan Smash 4, Michigan State Smash, and (U of) Michigan Smash.
Thank you for the info! I'll go check out those fb groups.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Thanks dude! I'll join up with smash 4 only because I don't want to relearn/learn any of the other games XP

EDIT (as not to double post): Anyone in MI do any streaming? Interested in getting a streaming set up for SM4SH and am wondering about what's out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom