• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Thanks dude! I'll join up with smash 4 only because I don't want to relearn/learn any of the other games XP

EDIT (as not to double post): Anyone in MI do any streaming? Interested in getting a streaming set up for SM4SH and am wondering about what's out there.
Myself and Don't Be Playin will be streaming tourneys when Smash 4 drops in a couple weeks, we are looking into a stream 3DS as well.

Not sure what DRDN is planning on doing since he streams his Tournaments.

Vayseth

Smash Master
What streaming equipment do you use/what are the better lagless capture cards out there (for Wii U only). Note I'm on a laptop not a desktop.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So Wu apparently hates Smash 4 already because he tried it and says its slower than Brawl, etc etc. And he claims Russell feels the same way.

That the general feeling you've been seeing from peeps, Alex?

It'd suck if my friends don't also get into Smash 4. Well Russ probably will because money is money. But still.

Last edited:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
The game is gonna be so much different when we have gamecube controllers in our hands. To early to judge haha.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I haven't heard anything really. I think it'll be an adjustment period for everyone for a while. I think the game is fun but I also can't play against anyone right now. I also have played a lot of project M and I really don't like it. I never got hardcore into melee so I'm not at all nostalgic for it. I do know it plays much better than brawl and the cast is way better.

I also don't think melee's movement and tech skill is good for the game. You'll never get enough new people into the game to make it truly huge.

EDIT: That is to say, the game was way too hard for people to pick up so you'd run into a situation where we miss out on waves of new people due to the barrier to entry. 3rd Strike was awesome but SF4 brought the game to the mainstream and was hugely successful across the board. Everyone was upset at first at the "dumbing down" but where are we now with that?

Last edited:

Vayseth

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, I love watching melee and if I could play at that level I most certainly would. Melee fans are some of the biggest fans of the series so not calling them "actual fans" is a little harsh, however I don't think that anyone can argue with the fact that melee is incredibly difficult to play. Any new player trying to get into the game would be soul crushed at the difficulty with even moving around the screen optimally. In order for the game to grow it has to become more approachable to the mainstream.

Brawl took this too far and removed any competitive elements from the game. This game seems to be designed from the ground up to be competitive yet easier to approach. Depending on how well they have balanced these aspects we can look for either a huge increase in popularity with the series (on the competitive side), or another 5-8 years of melee awesomeness.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
woof woof *****

has it been confirmed anywhere that smash 4 3ds will have the exact same mechanics as the wii U one? Im kinda surprised everyone is acting like the wii U one will be a 100% carbon copy. Why would they have such a disparity in release dates if that were the case?

Im sure the overall mechanics will be about the same but I expect differences

Last edited:

Vayseth

Smash Master
The disparity in the release dates was due to debugging issues (revealed in an interview with famitsu magazine with Sakurai).

A simultaneous release would have pushed the games into 2015, he said.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
woof woof *****

has it been confirmed anywhere that smash 4 3ds will have the exact same mechanics as the wii U one? Im kinda surprised everyone is acting like the wii U one will be a 100% carbon copy. Why would they have such a disparity in release dates if that were the case?

Im sure the overall mechanics will be about the same but I expect differences
I believe the differences will come when we have a real controller in our hands. The 3DS is nice and all, but a Gamecube controller will always be pure.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I decide to check this for the first time in months and in the same page I see Dr.Panda and Vayseth post. What in the..
Giggity.

I haven't heard anything really. I think it'll be an adjustment period for everyone for a while. I think the game is fun but I also can't play against anyone right now. I also have played a lot of project M and I really don't like it. I never got hardcore into melee so I'm not at all nostalgic for it. I do know it plays much better than brawl and the cast is way better.

I also don't think melee's movement and tech skill is good for the game. You'll never get enough new people into the game to make it truly huge.

EDIT: That is to say, the game was way too hard for people to pick up so you'd run into a situation where we miss out on waves of new people due to the barrier to entry. 3rd Strike was awesome but SF4 brought the game to the mainstream and was hugely successful across the board. Everyone was upset at first at the "dumbing down" but where are we now with that?
While I actually enjoy PM I completely agree with you. PM treats Melee as some holy and untouchable object while they treat Brawl like trash. They completely redo Brawl characters that don't even need it just because they're not from Melee. And the choices they made for overall game mechanics are TOO Melee, rather than a progression or step up from Melee. Its pretty silly. Still better than Brawl though.

And I completely agree about barrier to entry. The most successful fighting games will always be fighting games that have the lowest possible barrier to entry while still achieving deep gameplay. If Melee was a bit slower and didn't have overly technical things like wavedashing, I think it had a great formula for getting the mainstream into it if it were released in the modern day.

Unfortunately, Sakurai is a piece of **** designer from a competitive standpoint, and Nintendo is losing out on making competitive Smash as big as pro League of Legends by only acknowledging our existence for PR purposes.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I hope the barrier of entry for league of fighters is low
Hella low. With a high ceiling. Or so we hope. A lot of theory and time went into our systems to decrease the barrier of entry and given that our grand finals of the first tourney ever were a kid who never plays fighters because he can't do the inputs vs one of the best fighting game players in the country... I think we're doing an okay job so far (could be better still though).

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Hey, Not to jump on the ship when it's already sailed, but I'm a smasher that lives in michigan (Three rivers, about half an hour away from kalamazoo near the boarder) and I thought I'd introduce myself since I'll be frequenting this thread more.

I've been lurking for a few years, but brawl competitive never caught my interest much and melee competitive is too crazy for me...sm4sh seems to be more my cup of tea and I am extremely excited to play it and hopefully play it at a level where I can at least place in tournaments.

So I thought, no better time to get to know the smashers around me than now, right? So hey hey guys, you can call me Quinn or Gerp.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Hey and welcome! Hoping that we'll be starting some tournaments in the metro-Detroit area but that might be a bit of a drive eh? Are you closer to Detroit or Chicago?

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Hey and welcome! Hoping that we'll be starting some tournaments in the metro-Detroit area but that might be a bit of a drive eh? Are you closer to Detroit or Chicago?
they are both a drive from me really.

I just checked. Both are virtually the same distance from me. Two and a half hours.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Dang. I know once SM4SH hits for the wii u I want to be active again trying to get weeklies or at the worst bi-weeklies going. I used to also work with guys in Chicago to host large regional monthlies which also wouldn't be out of the question. Hopefully we see you around!

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Dang. I know once SM4SH hits for the wii u I want to be active again trying to get weeklies or at the worst bi-weeklies going. I used to also work with guys in Chicago to host large regional monthlies which also wouldn't be out of the question. Hopefully we see you around!
Hm well I'll have to see if I can even make it but I'll try.

Know of any smaller tournaments or groups closer to my location? (In the mean time)

Roller

Smash Legend
Don't get me wrong, I love watching melee and if I could play at that level I most certainly would. Melee fans are some of the biggest fans of the series so not calling them "actual fans" is a little harsh, however I don't think that anyone can argue with the fact that melee is incredibly difficult to play. Any new player trying to get into the game would be soul crushed at the difficulty with even moving around the screen optimally. In order for the game to grow it has to become more approachable to the mainstream.

Brawl took this too far and removed any competitive elements from the game. This game seems to be designed from the ground up to be competitive yet easier to approach. Depending on how well they have balanced these aspects we can look for either a huge increase in popularity with the series (on the competitive side), or another 5-8 years of melee awesomeness.
I didn't say they weren't "actual fans"... I called them Melee fans. Which is different- but not necessary exclusive- from being a Smash fan.

I love Melee too btw, the difference is I don't think it's the only game in the series worth playing... Because I'm a fan of the series. Not just the game. The "Melee fans" I'm referring to only love Melee, otherwise they fall under the category of "Smash fans". It's kind of an 'all squares are rhombuses, but not all rhombuses are squares' situation.

Also. @ Gerpington Gerpington Welcome to the community! Sorry you're a couple hours away from most things, but tbh a lot of Smashers in the midwest need to travel 4-5 hours to "locals" so it could be worse. Being someone who has traveled double digit distances for tournaments numerous times, 2.5 hours is worth it if you really love what you're doing. Not everyone loves it that much, but I'd say give it a try. You might find that distance to be well worth being a part of the scene.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I didn't say they weren't "actual fans"... I called them Melee fans. Which is different- but not necessary exclusive- from being a Smash fan.

I love Melee too btw, the difference is I don't think it's the only game in the series worth playing... Because I'm a fan of the series. Not just the game. The "Melee fans" I'm referring to only love Melee, otherwise they fall under the category of "Smash fans". It's kind of an 'all squares are rhombuses, but not all rhombuses are squares' situation.

Also. @ Gerpington Gerpington Welcome to the community! Sorry you're a couple hours away from most things, but tbh a lot of Smashers in the midwest need to travel 4-5 hours to "locals" so it could be worse. Being someone who has traveled double digit distances for tournaments numerous times, 2.5 hours is worth it if you really love what you're doing. Not everyone loves it that much, but I'd say give it a try. You might find that distance to be well worth being a part of the scene.
Perhaps I will. It all depends I guess....I'm kind of horrible with directions so with my luck I'd probably get lost and murdered....did I mention I'm paranoid?

I'll keep up with this thread and pay attention to the michigan community, but the only days I really have off are Sunday and Monday and I doubt those will change any time soon.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
So Wu apparently hates Smash 4 already because he tried it and says its slower than Brawl, etc etc. And he claims Russell feels the same way.

That the general feeling you've been seeing from peeps, Alex?

It'd suck if my friends don't also get into Smash 4. Well Russ probably will because money is money. But still.
Honestly I hope its just the 3ds being the 3ds. My impressions after playing it a while was just bland, nothing stood out to me. It felt like shield and punish shield and punish, however this could change as the game evolves. Heres hoping its not the stale pos brawl was and we actually get ways to move around the map safely.

heh, why did people convince me to come back here? Also typical Alan to argue with me when i point out flaws then agree with them a week later Kappa. I hope to god you realize i'm ****ing with you Alan.

Last edited:

judge!

Smash Ace
soooooo is everyone like meeting up soon for this. i have next friday night off XD

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I was going to be having a smashfest next Friday because there is a Smash 4/Brawl tourney in Livonia on the 4th

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Oh. Wow. I was 80% sure Judge died in a massive orgy 2 years ago.
I'm honestly curious of the context of this.

But part of me doesn't want to know at all.

But...do none of you live in the western part of michigan? I'd like to make more smash friends around here before I start driving 2-3 hours to tournaments...especially since I'll probably have to call off work to do so.

RagingMeerkat

Smash Rookie
NNID
burtonbrdr158
3DS FC
2921-9247-0657
Hey Michigan smashers,

With the release of Smash 4 I figured I'd say hello. My background - I've played Smash since the 64 days but never really found a good group to play with. And online wasn't a thing until Brawl and it turned out to be pretty useless. As a result I'm currently a very casual player. With Smash 4 though I'm really interested in jumping into the competitive scene. I'm not looking to be super serious but I do want to be a competitive player.

I'm in the Ann Arbor area and look forward to playing some Smash 4 on Friday!

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I'm honestly curious of the context of this.

But part of me doesn't want to know at all.

But...do none of you live in the western part of michigan? I'd like to make more smash friends around here before I start driving 2-3 hours to tournaments...especially since I'll probably have to call off work to do so.
there's a big scene in the grand rapids or muskegon area, mostly PM these days not sure what their plans are for sm4sh. How far away are you from those two areas

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
there's a big scene in the grand rapids or muskegon area, mostly PM these days not sure what their plans are for sm4sh. How far away are you from those two areas
Grand rapids would be easier for me I think muskegon is about two hours as well.

Grand rapids is about an hour...I think.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I don't know if this is not cool or anything but I realized once I get my Wii U I have no use for my hacked wii anymore. Anyone in need of a hacked wii for Project M or anything? PM me if you are.

Again, if this isn't cool just lemme know and I'll try on FB.

Pratmire

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pratmire
3DS FC
4356-1795-6599
Anyone wanna swap FC's to play online sometime? I don't have/know of anyone nearby who plays Smash as much as I do, so I'd love to have some people to play online with!

Roller

Smash Legend
I just realized that if you click on my location, google maps takes you to some place named "Terminal 5- Cavernous, multilevel rock venue" in New York City... wtf????

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I just realized that if you click on my location, google maps takes you to some place named "Terminal 5- Cavernous, multilevel rock venue" in New York City... wtf????
It takes me to the Cranbrook Institute of Science...

Top Bottom