• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I gotta get a crew together with my homies in Birmingham/Troy so I can have an awesome sig.

The quality of it will reflect our skill.

(ie. I'm making it in MS Paint)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Juggle, if you're still up for driving to the Middle of Ohio tourney, how many ppl you want to bring?

We should try to get like, anther, lain, botulismnator, and bigy (first 3 are all pretty local to AA, bigy's kinda way over there, but we're pretty much on his way to getting there) or something. I dont' think there are any brawl tourneys for thrz/lain to worry about for this weekend. It's a ~3 hour drive from AA, so it's not even that bad. $3 venue fee, $10 singles, $10/person doubles.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220050

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Juggle, if you're still up for driving to the Middle of Ohio tourney, how many ppl you want to bring?

We should try to get like, anther, lain, botulismnator, and bigy (first 3 are all pretty local to AA, bigy's kinda way over there, but we're pretty much on his way to getting there) or something. I dont' think there are any brawl tourneys for thrz/lain to worry about for this weekend. It's a ~3 hour drive from AA, so it's not even that bad. $3 venue fee, $10 singles, $10/person doubles.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220050
and $100 OOS bonus!

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
oh SHlT waddup phantom lol. Wario dude right?

How ya been.

What brings ya to this random A55 middlecoast thread? lol

And The rest of ya here in MI.
D.amn yall lol, i was down for some melee today but nobody is answerin. Ive only played Scotu and some of his friends last week but nothing since. Are there no beast melee players in this state willing to play it out before i go back to NY on friday?

Guess i'll see the rest of ya at Genesis then.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Oh, Lain came down for WHOBO, and I was telling Kansas how Wario hard counters them... and then I saw you posting, and was surprised b/c I thought you didn't play Brawl, lol.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Oh, Lain came down for WHOBO, and I was telling Kansas how Wario hard counters them... and then I saw you posting, and was surprised b/c I thought you didn't play Brawl, lol.

I dont play brawl lol. At all actually. I quit way back in Octoberish.
But i know i could still destroy NlGGas with bowser. Its just that kinda game.

I just play melee now once in a while (maybe a couple of times a month). Melee is probably the funnest game ever.

How bout you? Still play n stuff?

I have tons of videos on Youtube of my bowser back when i played.
www.Youtube.com/NYwarriorknight

Chegg it out

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
WarriorKnight, as far as I can tell things are going pretty slow today. Tomorrow might be better for everyone.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
itd be impossible to do it offline so lets do it online =P
I am going to guess that the only way to pay is though Pay Pal for who ever loses. XD

That would be a weird way to have a money match, but it is the only way to play and pay on Wifi... sort of.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Hey...Is there anything going on in Ann Arbor soon? I have some extra money left over from my birthday/Easter and I thought I would use it to go to Brawl tournaments pretty soon.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Ohio doesn't look likely anymore... I got shut down by parents. Sigh.

Still, I wanna play some Melee this week. Scotu, WarriorKnight? lain, tony? Anyone?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Melee/Brawling tomorrow at my place for the sake of WarriorKnight and other forms of great justice.

Ohio doesn't look likely anymore... I got shut down by parents. Sigh.

Still, I wanna play some Melee this week. Scotu, WarriorKnight? lain, tony? Anyone?
: (

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Michigan players don't like going to instate tournaments, thus, there aren't frequently tournaments in MI.
For most instate tourneys, like over half of good MI goes... MI has like double the amount of good people as most states, so with only half going, there's still the same amount of skill as oos tourneys... with that in mind, I don't think that's the reason instate tourneys are so small which is why they aren't frequent.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Well, first it's that often there are out of state tournaments. Monthly Chicago and monthly Circuit take up 2 out of 4/5 weeks per month. There used to be monthlies at GYGO, but Vay stopped doing those. Not sure if SCOTU is still doing Digi-Ops.

So it's that there are monthly OoS stuff, and in-state monthlies have been stopped. Only TOs left are SCOTU and Ori/Ham. We just need more TOs.

Toph, we should get on that.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
We have a smaller concentration of regular tournament-attending bad players, though.
only like 3-4 good players go oos during local tourney weeks which wouldn't have that big of an impact. And yeah, MI just has a lot less players than other states... and that's why people don't go... it's cause we don't have people.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Well, first it's that often there are out of state tournaments. Monthly Chicago and monthly Circuit take up 2 out of 4/5 weeks per month. There used to be monthlies at GYGO, but Vay stopped doing those. Not sure if SCOTU is still doing Digi-Ops.

So it's that there are monthly OoS stuff, and in-state monthlies have been stopped. Only TOs left are SCOTU and Ori/Ham. We just need more TOs.

Toph, we should get on that.
the biggest reason is that the most people you can get from an instate MI tourney is like ~30, because there are only good people and bad people in MI. There's very few that fit in between. The good players would go, but it'd be harder to get the bad players to go, because they're not as cool as they used to be. Furthermore, since there are regular out of state tourneys, in several states around MI that all the MI players attend, it's really hard to get a date when there isn't an OoS tourney, because if there's an out of state tourney (or one is announced even after an instate tourney is), all of MI flocks down there because there's bound to be more ppl. This leads to there being low attendance at in state MI tourneys. If there's consistantly low attendance, there's very little drive for Non-MI smashers to come up here for a tourney, even if we have most of the good players in the midwest.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
D.amn, thats kinda wack. Up in NY there are weeklies in multiple places depending on where you live at.
NExt thing you know when you show up at one of these is that your next door neighbor plays smash and you never even knew lol.
I never even bother to go to any of them since they always occur. Its something i just take for granted. If it was scarce like it seems to be around here, i'd learn to appreciate these weekly events more in my home state.
They also have this Bi-weekly event for strictly melee only named (R.O.M) Revival of Melee which is like awesome but i never attend those either for no actual reason.

I think some of the guys here should step it up and try hosting small bi-weeklies for about 2 months to see if the attendance starts to grow. It would be really great for the community here in MI, and also to create a lot more competition.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
We've tried running biweeklies and they just didn't work out. Scotu, Levitas, Ankoku, and I ran a pretty successful biweekly tournament about a year ago, but after brawl the attendance died. Then this year when Scotu and Levitas tried running biweeklies for a few months, there would only be like low teens and they had to cancel it. Now there's an occasional tourney here and there that hits upper 20's but that's about it... and that's why we have to go oos state so much... but now my car's ****ed, WTP can't drive, Epic's moving to hong kong, and Vayseth is gone traveling the country with his new job... so I don't even know if we'll be able to continue going oos much anymore.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Alright, i have my controller with me today and i get out from work at 5pm.

When and where is this going down today? 6'll go straight there from work.

Let me know Scotu u have my number.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
only like 3-4 good players go oos during local tourney weeks which wouldn't have that big of an impact. And yeah, MI just has a lot less players than other states... and that's why people don't go... it's cause we don't have people.
theres more than 4 of us that are good that go oos. and we usually have 2 cars go ot every event. so thats like 11-14 michigan people per oos event. theres others players who sometime og oos like the mann, and others that dont go at all like omegaxf viper jkbuk jcav and so on. but i do agree that the top 6 michigan players always go oos.

We've tried running biweeklies and they just didn't work out. Scotu, Levitas, Ankoku, and I ran a pretty successful biweekly tournament about a year ago, but after brawl the attendance died. Then this year when Scotu and Levitas tried running biweeklies for a few months, there would only be like low teens and they had to cancel it. Now there's an occasional tourney here and there that hits upper 20's but that's about it... and that's why we have to go oos state so much... but now my car's ****ed, WTP can't drive, Epic's moving to hong kong, and Vayseth is gone traveling the country with his new job... so I don't even know if we'll be able to continue going oos much anymore.
i got my car fixed and would drive to future events. i will make michigan go oos.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
theres more than 4 of us that are good that go oos. and we usually have 2 cars go ot every event. so thats like 11-14 michigan people per oos event. theres others players who sometime og oos like the mann, and others that dont go at all like omegaxf viper jkbuk jcav and so on. but i do agree that the top 6 michigan players always go oos.
A bunch of us go oos for the big events, but I'm talking when there aren't any big events near by oos, so there's a tourney in MI that most of MI goes to, and usually a couple good MI players go way oos in 1 car.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
hey cool Warrior knight is like the same as me when it comes to going to tourneys

anyways i have that MSTEM meeting at michigan on friday till 8pm so ill be down for brawl or melee that night after the meeting..........panda or scotu anything going on that night?

Top Bottom