• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The makers of Guilty Gear just released a new game called BlazBlue. Evolution did feature a BlazBlue side tournament, with the top 2 players playing on stage on finals day. I mention this game because I wonder if it will replace Guilty Gear in next year's Evolution lineup. I will now tell you why this game is kind of a disaster, in my opinion. At least it's *easily* corrected, but I wonder if the developers will be willing to do it. The problem: throws are terrible.

Street Fighter 4 throws have 3 frames of startup (way too long compared to the 0 frame startup of SF2 and Guilty Gear). Also, you can tech (throw escape) and take zero damage, and you have plenty of time to tech. Compare this to SF2 where you can only reduce the throw damage by about 50%, or all Guilty Gears before Accent Core where you can't reduce throw damage at all. If you thought SF4 throws were ineffective though, you haven't seen anything yet!

How about 7 frames of startup on throws! Also, you have 13 frames to tech for zero damage. Also, if you enter the command to tech, even if you weren't thrown yet, you become unthrowable for the next 11 frames. Now, it's also true that once those 11 frames are over, there's another window (not sure how long, some say 12 frames, some say 24, I don't know) where you cannot tech throws at all. This is to prevent you from mashing throw tech. Solution: don't mash throw tech, just easily tech throws in the 13 frame window + 11 more frames of leeway. Better yet, easily jab throws out of their absurdly long startup time. Or jump, because pre-jump frames (the time it takes you to leave the ground after you hold up) are 3 or 4 frames, depending on character. So if you repeatedly jump, air attack, jump, air attack, etc, you actually can't be thrown because you're never in a throwable state long enough for these slooooow throws to work. On and by the way, teching a throw pushes you almost full screen away from the opponent for some reason.

It gets worse. Maybe you want to play the throw guy, Tager, to get some decent throws. Tough luck, because his throw startup on his two normal throws are 6 and 7 frames, too. He also has two special throws. The high damage one is 8 frame startup (even longer!) and the low damage, but long range one is 11 frames! It's true that frames 3-11 of that are invulnerable, but you can't use the throw as a reversal (Potemkin in ggxx can, Zangief in SF2 can) and the opponent can easily jump out because 11 frames is a long **** time.

Just for completeness, there's also a new system where you can throw the opponent out of hitstun or blockstun. This is kind of a non-feature because the opponent has 27 frames (not a typo) to tech out of that. It's possible to make a sandwich or pitch a tent, then tech the throw in that case. Why are these developers so afraid of anyone throwing each other? I've played jaby, jab games before (CvS2) and I've played games where throws are good (SF2 and GGXX) and throws being good is just better all around. More offense, more mixups that matter, more strategy. Dear Arcsys: please implement 0 frame startup throws and damage scaling to reduce post-throw combos if necessary. Thanks. I'd hate to have to play this no-throw game as it is at Evolution 2010.
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/7/21/evolution-2009.html

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
You just have to mix it up and rarely use the throw, for me its fine and as a Arakune player you need his throw to do his super. I get it almost everytime.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
You just have to mix it up and rarely use the throw, for me its fine and as a Arakune player you need his throw to do his super. I get it almost everytime.
could use ur super as an anti air bro. then follow up and do massive damge, and it leads straight into a 6c loop if u do ur j.5c>j.2d combo

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
We're not allowed to give out PSN codes or anything are we? I wanna show off mah Carl/Rawrgna XD

Love this game.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Alright, mine is Byowing (Not my idea, it's the only account with online XD)

I...may be getting banned soon too. So take down my AIM if you want to talk after/during the match or something, lol.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Can't play right this minute, but I'll add you too and we'll play whenever we're both on. Sound good? XD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Carl and Ragna are so amazing.

Ragna cuz he's just so badass.

Carl for the claploop XDDD

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Went to a SF4/BB tournament, BB was quite popular. Mostly because basically everyone from NOVA that plays GG was there.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
first post should be edited with everyones psn/xbl and post a schedule of when players can create rooms. oh and everyone join the bb club o.o

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I haven't played BB in a long time. Guess I got bored of online.
I'm still enjoying GG surprisingly. :)

If only I didn't suck at GG...

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I haven't played BB in a long time. Guess I got bored of online.
I'm still enjoying GG surprisingly. :)

If only I didn't suck at GG...
I suck at GG as well, but I really miss it. I don't have a PS2, so I can't play it :(

DFEAR

Smash Hero
if anybody wants a template for their sticks i will gladly create them for u. pm me or request in mah sig shoppe (pls provide template psd =P).

examples (resized of course):
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5158/ragnapng.png
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii250/BluFuogo/psdsigs/arakunepng.png
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii250/BluFuogo/psdsigs/hakumenpng.png
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2561/pickachutemp6.png
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6342/pickachutemp999.png

i r bored during weekdays so get at me o.o

DFEAR

Smash Hero
>_> pm me or request it and ill make it how u want it. i cant just make it up on the spot xD

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
My brother and his friend have absolutely no idea how to play this game v_v Unfortunately, they're the ONLY people I get the chance to play against... I had, like, a 20-game win-streak against his friend as Jin because he kept shooting Ds for me to ice-car over. He then complained that I completely rendered his Nu useless, because he couldn't hit me with swords v_v It's incredibly depressing to know that my main comp is one of those online ****** D spammers. I need to hook up my internet connection...

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
My brother and his friend have absolutely no idea how to play this game v_v Unfortunately, they're the ONLY people I get the chance to play against... I had, like, a 20-game win-streak against his friend as Jin because he kept shooting Ds for me to ice-car over. He then complained that I completely rendered his Nu useless, because he couldn't hit me with swords v_v It's incredibly depressing to know that my main comp is one of those online ****** D spammers. I need to hook up my internet connection...
or you could help him get better, 5C or 214D shuts ice car down, 214D will more than likely trade most of the time, but still, a trade is in V-13's favor, since she can go straight into her D combo.

Top Bottom