• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Brawlplusery - Brawl+ Codeset - Updated 3rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Do you play Jiggs? Trust me, she is perfectly capable of killing. She pretty beast.

she sucks terribly. I've tried her. She has no priority, she feels heavy and Sd's alot if you do an aireal off the edge. Rest still dosn't kill even at %40.

Jigglypuff sucks terribly in this game and needs to be improved.

Like, I seriously hate brawl+

All my mains got *** *****. Diddy, Jiggs, G&W. I seriously have no fun playing this game what so ever because I get comboed into an infinity even with a character like jiggs and keep hitting the ground letting them get free attacks on me. It really sucks and I've tried it like 3 times now. Also because of no sweetspotting diddy kong has one of the worst recoveries in the game. thats just GREAT.

Adapt

Smash Lord
wait... I agree that Jiggs still sucks, but diddy is pretty **** good in brawl+

The only problem is his recovery doesn't autosnap anymore, and it's only screwed me over once so far. I still think he needs ASL, but whatever, he's still very good.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
The bair still has mad priority. How are your opponents getting around it? Are they rushing you as you land after using it?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Too bad the Aura Stock issue is generally anti-competitive. its besides the fact of wether it makes him OP'd or not. We're trying to make the game more competitive, and the Aura Stock thing defeats that purpose.

Lucario's Aura % should stay. Its his gimmick for getting stronger has he gets beat up. But for being a stock behind? He shouldnt get a boost for that because its anti-competitive. He shouldnt LOSE power from being a STOCK ahead either. Because he's winning. If He CP'd a stage that he's successful on, then that should be in his ADVANTAGE. He should be WINNING because that's his COUNTERPICK. Aura Stock negates part of this advantage by making him WORSE for WINNING on a COUNTERPICK he PICKED. It's another jab at competitive smash because its linked to Stock, which is the standard competitive setting by which competitive smasher's go by. Hell, 10$ says its linked to Time Matches too. :/

Its a stupid concept and anti-competitive and goes against the ideals of Brawl+. OP'd or Not. He doesn't need it because he has his Aura % gimmick and he's ALREADY a good character. If you're losing with a good character, you should get better via skill. Not rely on a crutch that is that Aura Stock issue. You shouldnt have a ball and chain on you for being better skilled.

I could go on and on and repeat the hell out of myself.

tl;dr - Aura Stock is non-competitive. Lucario doesn't need it. He has Aura % and that retains his intial gimmick and appeal. No one should be rewarded in mid-battle for doing ****ty. We have a CP system for stages AND characters. Why does Lucario need this? He doesnt. It needs to go. Aura Stock. Not Aura %. If you vouch to remove Aura %. You are an idiot in my eyes and you need to leave Brawl+ and Brawl.

EDIT: And by YOU, I mean people in General. I'm not trying to attack anyone specific with the tl;dr.
His Stock-based Aura works both for and against him. If he's winning, he gets a slight nerf. If he's losing, he gets a slight buff. I've been a Lucario main since release, and I removing this is just removing the flavor of the character. Sure, Lucario also has his % based bonus, but this is another factor for Lucario mains. Removing it wouldn't balance the game, it'd just make it more bland for Lucario mains as well as waste hackers' time. Still, the winning=slight nerf & losing=slight buff balances out just fine. It's the flavor of Lucario's high risk playstyle.

I don't think most of you understand fully how Lucario works. For example, only ONE move has a hitbox change as his aura increases: Aura Sphere. Furthermore, when he is at low %, his damage output is simply pathetic. At around 100%, it is average, and beyond that, it goes up, but usually people die before that, so by damage output, he is at a loss compared to the average. Same with KO moves. At 0, they're pathetic. At 100, they're average. You guys just think he's ridiculous becuase at 150% (which it is very difficult to live to), he deals a lot of damage with quite a bit of knockback, but he is not without weaknesses: He dies extremely easily off the top and he's easily gimped. He honestly isn't that good, so we shouldn't direct attention on nerfing Lucario until we have a much better grasp on which characters still need buffs. Personally, I think that ideally, instead of nerfing characters, we would just buff the rest...now obviously buffing everyone to MK-levels would mean everyone is broken, but buffing everyone to a high-tier level would be perfect.

Revven

FrankerZ
she sucks terribly. I've tried her. She has no priority, she feels heavy and Sd's alot if you do an aireal off the edge. Rest still dosn't kill even at %40.

Jigglypuff sucks terribly in this game and needs to be improved.

Like, I seriously hate brawl+

All my mains got *** *****. Diddy, Jiggs, G&W. I seriously have no fun playing this game what so ever because I get comboed into an infinity even with a character like jiggs and keep hitting the ground letting them get free attacks on me. It really sucks and I've tried it like 3 times now. Also because of no sweetspotting diddy kong has one of the worst recoveries in the game. thats just GREAT.
Diddy Kong does not, I repeat, DOES NOT SUCK. You, my friend, just suck. I main Diddy Kong, he is GOOD, against a LOT of characters. ****, I'd be willing to say now that he's better than MK in some aspects. His recovery is a con to his AMAZING ground game, we ain't gonna fix it because it is POSSIBLE to snap it, it just requires a LOT of practice.

See, despite Brawl+'s easy to pick up nature, there are still features you need to get accustomed to and practice in your own time depending on your character. If you're Diddy Kong, you can't honestly expect to ASL by aiming directly at the ledge, it may work like that for some stages but, not all of them, this is the part that requires SOME amount of skill. Otherwise, you're better off forward B-ing and jumping if you're recovering horizontally. If you're too low, recover from BELOW the ledge so you go past it and grab it (even though he CAN be hit during his fall animation and the barrels may fly off) it's loads better than trying to recover the same way in vBrawl and dying.

Jigglypuff is NOT heavy, you must just suck, like, really bad. She doesn't have a RIDICULOUSLY fast fallspeed in the Plusery set. Whatever set YOU were playing obviously wasn't this one. If you want to compare, and see what she DOES play like with the OFFICIAL set, watch my Jigglypuff matches and you will SEE she is floaty as he was in vBrawl and has practically the very same gravity and control as before.

Whoever you played B+ with must've set Up grav and Dgrav on REALLY high, like, to what a few people had MONTHS ago to make it feel 'heavy' like Melee which is NOT what the Plusery set does.

Quietly STFU until you play the Plusery set. What you played appears to me isn't the Plusery set. Oh and BTW, we didn't do **** to Jiggly's rest at all, it didn't kill at 40% in vBrawl WHY would it in Brawl+? =\

shanus

Smash Hero
Have you seen his b air? Its not good anymore. I'm really good in Brawl and when I tried this out I keep getting 4 stocked and crap and I'm the worst player ever.
Sounds like gross exaggerations to me. Jiggs is excellent, fair owns, and can combo into rest easily with utilt and uair chains.

Diddy is amazing in brawl+, you just need to learn how to sweetspot his recovery.

G&W is one of the best chars out there.

To me it sounds like your trolling, or have never played, or both!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Vex. <3

Please inform us as to how the PA tournies go. I for one am very interested lol.

Also I hate arguing about characters(Evidence is really subjective, as one could say you need to get better with x character or one could say the person you're playing needs to get better against x character). but I think Diddy's combo'ing and pressuring makes up for his bad recovery and I honestly think characters like Ivysuar have it just as bad if not worst. G&W still has insane priority, is hard to gimp, and combo's well with tilts. As for Jiggs, I can't say for certain yet whether she needs a buff but I'm not doubting it as her combos are fairly situational and she does indeed have some trouble killing compared to others.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I think the concept is amazing, but because this is done all by players, the metagame will constantly be evolving to "balance" the game further. The issue with this is once you pick up a main, a few weeks later he/she becomes totally different.

This is the fatal flaw. When games like Brawl-- or fighting games in general-- are made, patches are not released (or rare). This leads the community to exploit glitches, discover combos, and develop meta game for the character of their choosing without the character altering technically in any way.

But if you are changing how much damage someone takes (i.e. Bowser), or changing the fall rate, hit stun, lag times, aerials, all the time in an effort to "balance," then it'll never fly.

Unless Brawl+ is released in a final version and never updated to fix "[character]'s cheap [combo]," I can't see it succeed.

That said, I still really want to play it and I love the idea.
Saw this post in the Falco boards and thought someone might be curious to see it. I kind of agree. It's fun playing Smash God and trying to balance this game as best as possible, but sooner rather then later here I feel we need to stop messing around and call it basically quits. What I mean is I think that by Early April we really should be pretty close to finishing this whole thing up.

I don't know, maybe I'm scared or not putting enough faith in the community, but now that we have the power to edit this game are we ever going to be able to sit down and say, "Sure it's got a few spots, but **** is it good. I love it just the way it is.'

Food for thought I suppose.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Saw this post in the Falco boards and thought someone might be curious to see it. I kind of agree. It's fun playing Smash God and trying to balance this game as best as possible, but sooner rather then later here I feel we need to stop messing around and call it basically quits. What I mean is I think that by Early April we really should be pretty close to finishing this whole thing up.

I don't know, maybe I'm scared or not putting enough faith in the community, but now that we have the power to edit this game are we ever going to be able to sit down and say, "Sure it's got a few spots, but **** is it good. I love it just the way it is.'

My friend told me this exact reason as to why he won't play the game (making him anyway). Honestly, if there aren't too many physics exploits there needs to be taken care of, then the focus should be on character balance until the characters can relatively fight one another without too much disadvantage. I'm not spearheading the project, but a goal date needs to be set. It isn't cement, but it sets the pace.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
The only physics-based thing that needs to be ironed out is momentum, other than that is teching, then is character balance, which consists of like altering 4 or 5 things, then we're done.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
The only physics-based thing that needs to be ironed out is momentum, other than that is teching, then is character balance, which consists of like altering 4 or 5 things, then we're done.
What are the changes going to be besides making snake's tilts not so lol and making bowser slightly faster?

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Yes I believe we're almost finished.
The char specific stuff just needs to stop though, nothing but ppl preaching on a buff their char needs, or a nerf another char needs.

matt4300

Smash Ace
Buffs: yoshis, samus,bowser,ivy,link, mario?,

nerfs: snake, and.... I dont know?

But, I have been under the impresion that the obvious imba chars were going to be fixed first. Then touneys will decide the rest of the buff/nerfs.

am I right shannus? or one of the other broomser?

Yes I believe we're almost finished.
The char specific stuff just needs to stop though, nothing but ppl preaching on a buff their char needs, or a nerf another char needs.
ehh? isen't that how balanceing goes? Debates about chars, who deserves what are how games are balanced right?
Would you rather everyone shutup, hope it magically gets done?

shanus

Smash Hero
We are barely modifying any more things now.

We have only a few modifications left:

-Tidying up the momentum code to apply a bit better.

-Fixing an Error with the Character Specific Full Hop Code

-Fixing the Tech Window / Implementing Ledgeteching

-Move Specific Knockback Code to fix: Sheik Ftilt & Pikachu Downthrow (maybe also MK shuttle loop)

After that we will have gold release, where only the first month or two of tournament play will dictate character balance tweaks. From there, the set should be almost set in stone. Hope this sheds light and alleviates all your worries. I might be forgetting one or two things, but thats basically it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
His Stock-based Aura works both for and against him. If he's winning, he gets a slight nerf. If he's losing, he gets a slight buff. I've been a Lucario main since release, and I removing this is just removing the flavor of the character. Sure, Lucario also has his % based bonus, but this is another factor for Lucario mains. Removing it wouldn't balance the game, it'd just make it more bland for Lucario mains as well as waste hackers' time. Still, the winning=slight nerf & losing=slight buff balances out just fine. It's the flavor of Lucario's high risk playstyle.
That's still irrelevant to the point the concept is anti-competitive and hypocritical to what Brawl+ is supposed to be. I said regardless of if its OP'd or not, and now I say regardless of if he gets worse or better. You say it'd make him more bland even though he'd rely on the same play style in B+ prior to removal? The same metagame? You also say it'd be the waste of the hackers time? How would removing a concept from the game that hinders the face of B+? We want to make it look appealing. If people know we didn't remove something anti-competitive about Lucario, that shows bias. That bias is bad. It shows we aren't trying to fully balance the game by removing things that don't agree with B+. I don't want that. I'd prefer for B+ to look like its following through with what it promises.

You say it removes the flavor of the character? What flavor? The fact that he gets stronger as he gets beat up? That's what his aura in general is for. He has Aura %. Aura stock should NOT be in B+ from the simple fact of how its concept works. No matter what, the player in lead is nerfed. Lucario is in the lead, he loses power. The opponent is in the lead, he's more susceptible to being KO'd. That's not fair at all because its forced upon both player, just as tripping was. You can't control it directly, you can't turn it off either. That's not right. That's a handicap for the winner, and its a crutch for Lucario.

I don't think most of you understand fully how Lucario works. For example, only ONE move has a hitbox change as his aura increases: Aura Sphere. Furthermore, when he is at low %, his damage output is simply pathetic. At around 100%, it is average, and beyond that, it goes up, but usually people die before that, so by damage output, he is at a loss compared to the average. Same with KO moves. At 0, they're pathetic. At 100, they're average. You guys just think he's ridiculous because at 150% (which it is very difficult to live to), he deals a lot of damage with quite a bit of knockback, but he is not without weaknesses: He dies extremely easily off the top and he's easily gimped. He honestly isn't that good, so we shouldn't direct attention on nerfing Lucario until we have a much better grasp on which characters still need buffs. Personally, I think that ideally, instead of nerfing characters, we would just buff the rest...now obviously buffing everyone to MK-levels would mean everyone is broken, but buffing everyone to a high-tier level would be perfect.
First of all, this is probably not directed at me because its completely irrelevant to the argument I made about Lucario. If you're using his stats as an argument to retain an anti-competitive feature in Lucario, all I can say is that it's moot simply from the fact that characters can be altered to be either better or worse. If his Aura Stock ability, which wouldn't remove any "flavor" for him because he'd still have the same exact metagame and play style as prior to removal, if not, a slight unnoticeable shift which is more combo-oriented and less KO based, is remove and he becomes significantly worse, then alterations can be done on other aspects of Lucario in order to rebuff him to a level on par with his pre-Aura Stock ability self. But other than that, it needs to go. He'll have the same metagame and the same abilities. All that will be gone is an anti-competitive concept that can be replaced with buffs added to him while retaining the mission of Brawl+ and making the project look less hypocritical.

KRSnakey

Smash Rookie
I'm sure that eventually the changes will slow down, and there will be less "patches". Also, I understand the importance of some openings to be left, as it inspires people to look for useful glitches. I just think that it's amazing to be capable of balancing everything out. That's the sole reason I came back to Brawl. (well, brawl+).

I'm tired of counterpicks and huge disadvantages.

On that subject, I still need to pick up a main : \

SHANUS HAS SPOKEN:

"We have only a few modifications left"

Stop complaining.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord

why do people think the word revolves around smash games? there are games that receive fixes that are all about balance and strat development. people seriously need to look past whats plugged into thier tvs. starcraft and dota and cs and warcraft are all continually patched and even are patched to this day. this does not detract from the experience.. if anything it adds to it. it gives something the players can look forward to. we are a community that have the power to fix anything; by forcing the hault of the development of brawl+ you are putting an artificial barrier to stop it from progressing to simulate melee or smash64 or street fighter 2.

this is not the case with brawl+. we do not need to base OUR game's development on what made other games work, because we have much more freedom. if a character has a broken, completley unavoidable combo that ruins the game.. and we don't fix it on the basis that melee couldn't have, i think we are missing a great opportunity.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I didn't want to seem like I was complaining. Sorry if it came off that way. I noticed a post from someone outside looking in and thought it was a good post. Either way, it sounds like things are going the way I imagined/hoped they would. Glad to hear it.

EDIT: Jiang, I always imagined if something like what you speak of sneaks under our eyes and makes it into gold it would be fixed. What I don't want to see if people complaining because some character is doing well for himself in tournaments and someone isn't. Even now, with a few exceptions, everyone is pretty close to each other in balance. Basically, as Judge said, I just don't want to see B+ become a tug of war game between peoples mains and who should be winning the next few tournaments with a balance patch. Hope that make sense.

Once again, it sounds like the Broomers are all in agreement on the matter and the fact of the matter is most of our best coders are in the Broom (or so I believe). I wasn't truly worried, just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.

kupo15

Smash Hero
We are barely modifying any more things now.

We have only a few modifications left:

-Tidying up the momentum code to apply a bit better.

-Fixing an Error with the Character Specific Full Hop Code

-Fixing the Tech Window / Implementing Ledgeteching

-Move Specific Knockback Code to fix: Sheik Ftilt & Pikachu Downthrow (maybe also MK shuttle loop)

After that we will have gold release, where only the first month or two of tournament play will dictate character balance tweaks. From there, the set should be almost set in stone. Hope this sheds light and alleviates all your worries. I might be forgetting one or two things, but thats basically it.
Um shanus, I believe you are missing quite a few codes on that list.

Tumble code

Enable FFing during tumble
No AD during tumble

FF specials

Only affects non charging neutral B moves

Shield during DD

Better meteor cancel

These need to be in before we go gold

Starscream

Smash Ace
What about friction? I've been playing with .05 friction and it really tightens up the game, especially with the momentum code. I really love it, I just think Luigi needs to be exempt from it.

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
Buffs: yoshis, samus,bowser,ivy,link, mario?,
Link and Yoshi don't need a buff. Link's improved recovery+aerial lag reduction+general stuff makes him good enough, same for Yoshi.

Samus and Mario also seem fine. They're not Top Tiers, but I think we should wait to see how they perform competitively before changing anything.

Dunno about Bowser and Ivy though.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I don't understand why we would buff characters and not give them options as good as the top tiers. It's like we said "Let's buff 'em but make sure they keep on sucking."

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I don't understand why we would buff characters and not give them options as good as the top tiers. It's like we said "Let's buff 'em but make sure they keep on sucking."

Thats where the balance vs uniqueness argument comes into fruition.

Certain characters have an imagine and their playstyle reflects that image, but sometimes that playstyle is not really good for a certain way of playing, and to make that playstyle more effective, you have to drift away from its unique originality in favor of something that doesn't make sense, but makes the character worthy of being tourney viable.

Thats like the issue with bowser. People want to speed him up and make him able to combo, but in essence it makes no sense, and thats not how bowser should be played.

Its all subjective really, and based off of personal opinions. People what that essence of uniqueness because its an appeal of Smash as well as fighters. Thats how you pick favorites and stuff.

What we ultimately want to do is keep that "flavor" while making the character better and make sense, but its really hard sometimes, because people dont want to change certain tactics or metagame and want to keep a specific playstyle even if it doesnt work for that character in B+. Its kinda silly, but oh well.

Me_Aludes

Smash Apprentice
It's a fact that right now we don't know what should be buffed and what not. That's why people like me wouldn't want to see a hundred of innecesary buffs just because we like them. "What I feel" or "what I like" it's not a valid argument when it comes to make a balanced game. Buffing chars because we think they're trash doesn't mean they actually are. Look at the first/second tier list of SSBM. Falcon was considered a Low/Mid character. And look at him now.

Nevertheless, I think buffing low tiers is a lot better than nerfing tops, and I will support any changes that prove to be good for game balance. I want a game as fun and competitive as possible.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Thats where the balance vs uniqueness argument comes into fruition.

Certain characters have an imagine and their playstyle reflects that image, but sometimes that playstyle is not really good for a certain way of playing, and to make that playstyle more effective, you have to drift away from its unique originality in favor of something that doesn't make sense, but makes the character worthy of being tourney viable.

Thats like the issue with bowser. People want to speed him up and make him able to combo, but in essence it makes no sense, and thats not how bowser should be played.

Its all subjective really, and based off of personal opinions. People what that essence of uniqueness because its an appeal of Smash as well as fighters. Thats how you pick favorites and stuff.

What we ultimately want to do is keep that "flavor" while making the character better and make sense, but its really hard sometimes, because people dont want to change certain tactics or metagame and want to keep a specific playstyle even if it doesnt work for that character in B+. Its kinda silly, but oh well.
Smash is a pretty straightforward game. Any player can go out and capitalize on a situation well. That could lead to Bowser players being up there, but the character itself...

What I'm saying is, just leaving it at that and making characters able to capitalize on one or two things more often is only going to make them a little more than viable, but the reason top tier characters are top tier is because they not only capitalize well(Which like I said, any good player can do that) but because they have good moves and options for every situation. I personally don't want a clearly defined tier list but realize its going to be hard. I think a lot of characters need more and the current buffs don't seem to be diversifying well but I don't mind waiting for tourney results.

Also, the reason we can't go too fast with patches is because its easy to say a strategy is broken when you can't find a way around it. That doesn't mean theres not one out there. We need to let the metagame evolve a good amount of time before going crazy. Smash isn't a strategy game where stats are set in stone and variables just lay around waiting to be adjusted.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
That's still irrelevant to the point the concept is anti-competitive and hypocritical to what Brawl+ is supposed to be. I said regardless of if its OP'd or not, and now I say regardless of if he gets worse or better. You say it'd make him more bland even though he'd rely on the same play style in B+ prior to removal? The same metagame? You also say it'd be the waste of the hackers time? How would removing a concept from the game that hinders the face of B+? We want to make it look appealing. If people know we didn't remove something anti-competitive about Lucario, that shows bias. That bias is bad. It shows we aren't trying to fully balance the game by removing things that don't agree with B+. I don't want that. I'd prefer for B+ to look like its following through with what it promises.

You say it removes the flavor of the character? What flavor? The fact that he gets stronger as he gets beat up? That's what his aura in general is for. He has Aura %. Aura stock should NOT be in B+ from the simple fact of how its concept works. No matter what, the player in lead is nerfed. Lucario is in the lead, he loses power. The opponent is in the lead, he's more susceptible to being KO'd. That's not fair at all because its forced upon both player, just as tripping was. You can't control it directly, you can't turn it off either. That's not right. That's a handicap for the winner, and its a crutch for Lucario.

First of all, this is probably not directed at me because its completely irrelevant to the argument I made about Lucario. If you're using his stats as an argument to retain an anti-competitive feature in Lucario, all I can say is that it's moot simply from the fact that characters can be altered to be either better or worse. If his Aura Stock ability, which wouldn't remove any "flavor" for him because he'd still have the same exact metagame and play style as prior to removal, if not, a slight unnoticeable shift which is more combo-oriented and less KO based, is remove and he becomes significantly worse, then alterations can be done on other aspects of Lucario in order to rebuff him to a level on par with his pre-Aura Stock ability self. But other than that, it needs to go. He'll have the same metagame and the same abilities. All that will be gone is an anti-competitive concept that can be replaced with buffs added to him while retaining the mission of Brawl+ and making the project look less hypocritical.
Not to sound arrogant, but you don't understand the full spectrum of how Lucario works. I know it might sound crazy, but if you revoke Lucario's % OR stock Aura, he becomes vastly worse. I know this because I have been playing Lucario for so long, and I am a tournament player. Remember, low aura=low damage, easier combos, & low knockback. High aura=high damage, difficult combos, & high knockback. Low enemy damage=Easier combos & low knockback. High enemy damage=high knockback & difficult combos.

Now, let's put someone else in Lucario's perspective. As I said, 100% is average knockback and damage, so you could say every other character is the cast is always at 100% aura. Let's take Mario. He's putting up a good fight against Falcon, but Falcon takes his first stock. Now Mario is down a stock and Falcon is at 140%. Mario F-smashes Falcon and Falcon dies. Pretty typical scenario, right?

Let's look at Lucario in the same scenario: Lucario is putting up a good fight, but he gets kneed into oblivion. Falcon is at 140%, and Lucario comes back at 0% aura. What's good about low aura? Combos! But wait...Falcon is at high %! That means the low aura bonus of good & easy combos is lost. So, what is Lucario left with? Low knockback and low damage. He needs to hit Falcon twice as much as Mario would've to get him equally as far in damage. But Mario just finished it by a quick KO move. Can Lucario do the same? Nope. Lucario's low % KO ability is pathetic. So, Lucario has to get up to 100% until he gets decent KO moves. But wait! There is a slight bonus for Lucario! Yup! He gets a small bonus to damage and knockback when he's a stock behind. So with the stock bonus, it becomes slightly easier to fight the fight and get even with Falcon. Then after they're both down a life, Lucario is back to normal Aura levels and the fight is even again.

My point? When Lucario is behind a stock, it's already much more difficult to get even than it would be with any other character. The bonus just makes it a little easier. If you remove it, then all you'll be doing is giving emphasis on Lucario not falling behind, because if you remove the stock based aura bonus, it gives the non-Lucario character a serious bonus. Heck, you might as well make the games 1-stock if you want to remove his bonus.
Nice sig BTW. Longchu FTW!

MuBa

Smash Lord
What about friction? I've been playing with .05 friction and it really tightens up the game, especially with the momentum code. I really love it, I just think Luigi needs to be exempt from it.
Only a few characters need friction. Everyone else is fine. If you put in more traction universally then DACUS (Dash Cancelled Up Smash) will become virtually useless. That stuff right there is very unique to Brawl and a nice way to approach people or at least get in a good sneak attack.

What we need is a character specific friction modifier.

Adapt

Smash Lord
why do people think the word revolves around smash games? there are games that receive fixes that are all about balance and strat development. people seriously need to look past whats plugged into thier tvs. starcraft and dota and cs and warcraft are all continually patched and even are patched to this day. this does not detract from the experience.. if anything it adds to it. it gives something the players can look forward to. we are a community that have the power to fix anything; by forcing the hault of the development of brawl+ you are putting an artificial barrier to stop it from progressing to simulate melee or smash64 or street fighter 2.

this is not the case with brawl+. we do not need to base OUR game's development on what made other games work, because we have much more freedom. if a character has a broken, completley unavoidable combo that ruins the game.. and we don't fix it on the basis that melee couldn't have, i think we are missing a great opportunity.
The guy's point is that no games ever get fixes that are as extreme as what brawl+ is doing. The codes that are going into this project fundamentally change how brawl is played. No balance patches or fixes that are released by a company will ever do that. The only type of release that might go as far as brawl+ is an new expansion, and even that is very unlikely.

Like it or not... brawl+ is not a balance patch or fix for brawl. Brawl+ is pretty much an entirely new game that plays a lot differently, but with the same basic content.

Starscream

Smash Ace
Only a few characters need friction. Everyone else is fine. If you put in more traction universally then DACUS (Dash Cancelled Up Smash) will become virtually useless. That stuff right there is very unique to Brawl and a nice way to approach people or at least get in a good sneak attack.

What we need is a character specific friction modifier.
I didn't really test it with every character but Falco and Link's DACUS didn't seem too harshly affected by the friction. Even so, you're right, kinda slipped my mind at the moment. But character specific friction is necessary I think.

Revven

FrankerZ
Not to sound arrogant, but you don't understand the full spectrum of how Lucario works. I know it might sound crazy, but if you revoke Lucario's % OR stock Aura, he becomes vastly worse. I know this because I have been playing Lucario for so long, and I am a tournament player. Remember, low aura=low damage, easier combos, & low knockback. High aura=high damage, difficult combos, & high knockback. Low enemy damage=Easier combos & low knockback. High enemy damage=high knockback & difficult combos.

Now, let's put someone else in Lucario's perspective. As I said, 100% is average knockback and damage, so you could say every other character is the cast is always at 100% aura. Let's take Mario. He's putting up a good fight against Falcon, but Falcon takes his first stock. Now Mario is down a stock and Falcon is at 140%. Mario F-smashes Falcon and Falcon dies. Pretty typical scenario, right?

Let's look at Lucario in the same scenario: Lucario is putting up a good fight, but he gets kneed into oblivion. Falcon is at 140%, and Lucario comes back at 0% aura. What's good about low aura? Combos! But wait...Falcon is at high %! That means the low aura bonus of good & easy combos is lost. So, what is Lucario left with? Low knockback and low damage. He needs to hit Falcon twice as much as Mario would've to get him equally as far in damage. But Mario just finished it by a quick KO move. Can Lucario do the same? Nope. Lucario's low % KO ability is pathetic. So, Lucario has to get up to 100% until he gets decent KO moves. But wait! There is a slight bonus for Lucario! Yup! He gets a small bonus to damage and knockback when he's a stock behind. So with the stock bonus, it becomes slightly easier to fight the fight and get even with Falcon. Then after they're both down a life, Lucario is back to normal Aura levels and the fight is even again.

My point? When Lucario is behind a stock, it's already much more difficult to get even than it would be with any other character. The bonus just makes it a little easier. If you remove it, then all you'll be doing is giving emphasis on Lucario not falling behind, because if you remove the stock based aura bonus, it gives the non-Lucario character a serious bonus. Heck, you might as well make the games 1-stock if you want to remove his bonus.
Nice sig BTW. Longchu FTW!
You're forgetting one thing into that equation on that Lucario example. If he has no Aura stock buff/nerf he still gets the Fresh Bonus when he respawns. I'm not saying that it's ENOUGH for him to KO, it'd just be nice to see if THAT would help still KO Falcon with an Fsmash or Dsmash. It wouldn't hurt to get a code out and see how it affects him as far as KOing goes (stale moves is gone, remember that) so, Lucario should still be able to kill that Falcon at 140% assuming the fresh bonus he gets when he respawns is enough to KO him.

And if it isn't then why don't we just remove the part of the stock aura that decreases his damage and knockback when he's AHEAD. THAT is the part that's dumb, it's rewarding a terrible player who's a stock behind. If we can't make that compromise then this would be something to look into instead: When Lucario comes back from being KO'd, his Fsmash/Dsmash have a certain % increase in knockback to KO the opponent (enough that would KO any character that's at a high percent). It'd just be like fresh bonus but, made higher so Lucario could kill like he should as if he still had the stock aura. That fixes that problem and removes the anti-competitive system he has.

Of course, this is if the stock aura removal is taken into consideration by everybody. I don't think it's a HUGE problem but, it is a dumb system. We wouldn't touch % aura though, that's fine.

Like it or not... brawl+ is not a balance patch or fix for brawl. Brawl+ is pretty much an entirely new game that plays a lot differently, but with the same basic content.
That was the whole premise behind this project from the very start. While we're adding to the original game called "Brawl", it is ALSO creating a NEW game. Think of it as an expansion pak, not a patch, and not a hack. It's like The Sims, where they come out with a new expansion pak each year to add to the original. This is just like that, adding new mechanics and features that weren't IN the original (The Sims adds new options = new mechanics and they add new objects = new features). In other words, it's a expansion pak to "Brawl" but, completely different, it has the SAME original content that was there, all we're doing is adding and changing things. That's what an expansion pak is too.

People should realize B+ is going to be different, otherwise, it wouldn't HAVE a new name. This isn't something new that wasn't discussed before, because it has been (and was in the first episode of the podcast). We are catering to new players by not adding in a HUGE amount of tech skill. All of Brawl's DI is still there, its tech window is still there (will be fixed though), all of the character's hitboxes are the same, all the priority is the same and etc. ALl that's changed is characters are better, we added mechanics that you should ALREADY be familiar with from Smash 64 and Melee, and some character changes that aren't SO alien (except for Thick Skin, it's interesting though as it is similar to Lucario's aura % system). None of what we added is "new" in the sense that it's been in the past games, they were just taken out in lieu of Brawl's release and that's where people think it's a problem we're changing things.

In short, we didn't change things drastically, they've been there before, since BEFORE Brawl+. Character balance really isn't that alien, all we're going to do is fix really borked stuff and people who just need a better recovery (Link for example), nothing HUGE and game changing to that character, they'll still play the same and feel the same.

That guy just has to try it, it doesn't always sound nice on paper.

bLeAkWuN

Smash Cadet
*BOWSER*
I believe Bowser needs some more work on him. Like changing his 1 frame buffer back to normal. Any1 want to agree with this? I personally like 3-4 frames on every character, but w/e. Is there a buffer specific out? And if not, then i think there should be at least for the Koopa King. The reason being is that it is impossible to do the infinite jump "with" the ability to grab the opponent. This is an aproach that many bowser players use... It allows a Bowser to approach a foe with the infinite jump while the side B can possibly grab. If he misses he can back off with the jump or attack again. If this is lost, then Bowser will lose some of his mix-ups.

Also, does any1 else feel like the game is now becoming more about SH Aerials??? Idk, just something i felt when i was playing.

-oh and Sketch, get back to your webdesigning job and quit checkin the boards! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom