• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Brawlplusery - Brawl+ Codeset - Updated 3rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Blank Mauser what he is saying is what you tell the character to do is delayed, if you tell it to do something and then your opponent does something you didn't expect, you have already put in your input for that future moment.

This way your input is much closer to your action so you don't have to anticipate as much and your moves are more real time, in relation to when you press it.
Well then thats the players fault for inputting the wrong move, and I honestly don't see this being a problem if we raise the buffer up to 3-5.

Good players will always separate themselves from bad players. Some say it takes more skill without buffer, and it does but why do we need that? Bad players will separate themselves regardless. Without buffer they won't be able to time things right and it feels unresponsive, with buffer they might mash and buffer punishable moves. Either way is a result of the player, not the game.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Im gonna use an analogy so that maybe some people in this board can understand buffering a little better. I hear a lot of people tell me that buffering means your more accurate and without buffering your less accurate. This is completely opposite and i honestly dont understand what in the **** is up with some peoples logic. So let me put it like this:

We are playing a game of darts. Player A represents the person using no buffer. Player B represents the player using buffer. Now player A is using a board that's bullsye is 10 times smaller then player B, who has way more room for error while still hitting the bullsye. So if player A can hit the bullsye then he is much more skilled and accurate then player B who had a much bigger target to hit.

This concept that people are throwing out that 10 frames of buffer takes more skill then 1 is ridiculous. Both players can STILL hit the target. Both players can STILL do the exact same things. It's just Player A must have more skill.

I dont need the game to hold my hand. We all know that Sakurai put buffering in the game because lets face it. He dumbed everything down and tried to make the game much less competitive and easier for everyone. I want control over my character. I want moves to come out when i tell them to.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Im gonna use an analogy so that maybe some people in this board can understand buffering a little better. I hear a lot of people tell me that buffering means your more accurate and without buffering your less accurate. This is completely opposite and i honestly dont understand what in the **** is up with some peoples logic. So let me put it like this:

We are playing a game of darts. Player A represents the person using no buffer. Player B represents the player using buffer. Now player A is using a board that's bullsye is 10 times smaller then player B, who has way more room for error while still hitting the bullsye. So if player A can hit the bullsye then he is much more skilled and accurate then player B who had a much bigger target to hit.

This concept that people are throwing out that 10 frames of buffer takes more skill then 1 is ridiculous. Both players can STILL hit the target. Both players can STILL do the exact same things. It's just Player A must have more skill.

I dont need the game to hold my hand. We all know that Sakurai put buffering in the game because lets face it. He dumbed everything down and tried to make the game much less competitive and easier for everyone. I want control over my character. I want moves to come out when i tell them to.
The difference is here, is we are playing Smash. In darts everyone is aiming for the center, in Smash everyone is going to play differently. You don't always want to hit the center. You are making something more impossible for the heck of it. Its impractical and silly just because some people can't help but crouch after SHFF or SD somehow.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well then thats the players fault for inputting the wrong move, and I honestly don't see this being a problem if we raise the buffer up to 3-5.
Here is my analogy. So you got yourself in a fight with the worst bully in high school. You are fighting and you decide to do an uppercut which will KO him if it lands. Moments before you decide to do it, you see that he read that move and if you attempt the uppercut, you will DIE. You are saying that you should still go for the uppercut because you intended to do that move so you feel obligated to use it? Its your fault you decided to try an uppercut so you should follow through when the better thing to do is to play defense instead?

GPDP

Smash Ace
For anyone concerned about crouching or turning around from bairs due to buffer: use the one line code kupo provided a page or two ago. None of that stuff happens unless you deliberately make them happen. However, 1 frame makes thunderstorming inconsistent, so try out 2. I still don't get any of the above problems, and thunderstorming is much more consistent.

tl;dr: use one line code with 2 buffer. feels good man

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I mean that sometimes you dont want certain moves to come out. But they do anyways because the controlls arent as precise.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I mean that sometimes you dont want certain moves to come out. But they do anyways because the controlls arent as precise.

You know, the reason for that is because you hold a button too long, or you press too late. Less buffer means you press it later, when more buffer means you press it sooner.

bLeAkWuN

Smash Cadet
Buffering has absolutely no ties to the functions of moves. Buffering only carries over inputs made while you're unable to actually do them. Thus if it is possible to do with buffer, it is also possible to do without buffer, since buffering only acts as if you happened to put that input on the required frame.

So the only thing that changes when you remove buffering is the window for which you can do things. If it had a 10 frame window as a result of buffering (meaning that it actually only had a 1 frame window, but buffering carried your input over to that one frame), then it now has a 1 frame window (with zero buffer). So yes you can still grab with the infinite claw, you'd just have to learn where the timing is (and how long after the grab you still have to jump). And I highly doubt that Bowser's infinite jump has a 1 frame window even after grabbing. I'm not saying that we should have a one frame or zero frame buffer. I'm just saying that your statement about Bowser needing an 8 frame buffer minimum is simply not true.
Ok, Understandable... see the problem that i was having was to have bowsers grab animation come out while doing the jumps....so now by the way you explained it...i have to find the exact window that i can press jump and continue with the infinite "claw"... wtf! has anyone here actually sat there with bowser and accomplished this? the problem with that is that the jump will not come out if you try to do a full claw... maybe bcuz the animation continues and it can only be cancelled at the very end when he is in the middle of his landing animation? (which is like a frame that you dont even see!!!)im going to test this out some more when i get the chance at sketch's place but right now it sounds pretty ufin impossible...

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Not to mention completely impractical.

What is the big deal here? When the player knows what hes going to do before-hand he should be able to do it, thats called making the game responsive. People are acting like its some kind of leech that controls you.

No one is going to be frame-perfect. If they do, its not going to be practical to implement it in play. The truth is, people aren't going to hand you practiced situations all the time. Good players are going to improvise, and buffering helps them have all their options available. Even if all the same options are available with no buffer, its almost impossible to pull it off the same way buffer allows you to do. No one precisely times Marth's double fair or Fox's double laser, they're just going to mash the button and hope it comes out as early as possible. To me thats stupid when you can just buffer your input beforehand and have things frame-perfect effortlessly.

People should be rewarded for improvising, and being smart. Not because they've practiced every given situation and learned useless timing. To me the fuss over 3-5 buffer is just petty. Players have already reaped the benefits of buffer and learned to use it to their advantage. Learning timing is not going to solve the problem. You won't get the same results.

I don't know how everybody can be so against buffering with these silly scenarios either. I'm not fighting a bully and throwing out uppercuts Kupo. I'm playing a game of smash where the animations go on whether I want them to or not. If I punch the bully would I also have lag on the end of my uppercut?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Here is my analogy. So you got yourself in a fight with the worst bully in high school. You are fighting and you decide to do an uppercut which will KO him if it lands. Moments before you decide to do it, you see that he read that move and if you attempt the uppercut, you will DIE. You are saying that you should still go for the uppercut because you intended to do that move so you feel obligated to use it? Its your fault you decided to try an uppercut so you should follow through when the better thing to do is to play defense instead?
Well then it's your fault for not waiting for your last move to finish. If you wanted to wait, you should've waited. You can decide whether or not to use the buffer. Let's say that instead of competitive smash, we're playing competitive rock-paper-scissors. There are 10 rounds. You have the option of either inputting your choice or rock, paper, or scissors in each round before the game starts, OR you can do one at a time and react to the situation. Let's say you buffer with all scissors (for simplicity's sake), and they choose rock each time individually. That's YOUR fault for using the buffer, and that's THEIR benefit for waiting.

shanus

Smash Hero
Not to mention completely impractical.

What is the big deal here? When the player knows what hes going to do before-hand he should be able to do it, thats called making the game responsive. People are acting like its some kind of leech that controls you.

No one is going to be frame-perfect. If they do, its not going to be practical to implement it in play. The truth is, people aren't going to hand you practiced situations all the time. Good players are going to improvise, and buffering helps them have all their options available. Even if all the same options are available with no buffer, its almost impossible to pull it off the same way buffer allows you to do. No one precisely times Marth's double fair or Fox's double laser, they're just going to mash the button and hope it comes out as early as possible. To me thats stupid when you can just buffer your input beforehand and have things frame-perfect effortlessly.

People should be rewarded for improvising, and being smart. Not because they've practiced every given situation and learned useless timing. To me the fuss over 3-5 buffer is just petty. Players have already reaped the benefits of buffer and learned to use it to their advantage. Learning timing is not going to solve the problem. You won't get the same results.

I don't know how everybody can be so against buffering with these silly scenarios either. I'm not fighting a bully and throwing out uppercuts Kupo. I'm playing a game of smash where the animations go on whether I want them to or not. If I punch the bully would I also have lag on the end of my uppercut?
No offense but its still really simple to buffer in with 1 frame. The degree of control you have is critical to how well you play your character. Plain and simple, if you think players can't be frame perfect, your wrong. It rewards practice, it doesnt hand you your moves on a silver platter. Sure you want to reward players for being smart, but that still is the case with Buffer 1. It just allows that smarter player to be in even more control of their character, and I think any competitive player would want that.

Some things should be difficult to pull off. Players SHOULD have to time their double fairs well, or snake full nair full hop because they shouldn't come from button mashing. Buffer makes frame perfect things easier to do, at the cost of control. I'm not giving up control.

I'm sorry, but your argument does not make any concrete reasons why buffer at 10 frames is at beneficial besides being noob friendly.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No one is going to be frame-perfect.
3 frames (2 frame buffer) is more than enough time. That's perfectly reasonable and possible to do at high level play.

The truth is, people aren't going to hand you practiced situations all the time.
Actually, since precise timing is really just tech skill....yes they are. Name a single situation where it would be impossible implement rehearsed timing of moves (while actually trying to get the move to come out as fast as possible mind you)

Good players are going to improvise
You don't improvise buffer timing. You just press the button before you can move. Any improvisation in timing is done after you're already able to move.
Even if all the same options are available with no buffer, its almost impossible to pull it off the same way buffer allows you to do.
No it is not. It's just really hard. At 2 frame buffer (ergo, 3 frame total window)....it's clearly practice.
No one precisely times Marth's double fair or Fox's double laser, they're just going to mash the button and hope it comes out as early as possible. To me thats stupid when you can just buffer your input beforehand and have things frame-perfect effortlessly.
Have you ever played melee? Mashing is the least effective way to get these things to come out (mashing causes you to actually miss the window more often than hitting it). Nobody mashes those things. The first thing the Marth boards tells people when they ask about double fair is "you're just going to have to practice the timing."
People should be rewarded for improvising, and being smart. Not because they've practiced every given situation and learned useless timing.
People should not be rewarded for learning their character?:confused: Lag time is a move specific trait that should be learned just like everything else (range, priority, damage, knockback, ect.). Buffering lag is no different than the ridiculous auto aim that's in Halo (where if you shoot next to the head it hits them anyway)
To me the fuss over 3-5 buffer is just petty. Players have already reaped the benefits of buffer and learned to use it to their advantage. Learning timing is not going to solve the problem. You won't get the same results.
You will get the same results. Have you ever played any other fighter seriously? A 5 frame window is very generous in most fighters, and you can't seem to handle it? The buffer window is typically smaller than 5 frames, but no you want 10 frames because you don't want to have to practice, despite the negatives that come with it. A smaller buffer window would easily eliminate these negatives with absolutely no other effect on gameplay (assuming you practiced).

3-5 frames is more than practical. Just FYI, Fox's ledgehop waveland has a smaller window than that. And people do invincible upsmashes because they...practice. Pivot grabs have a smaller window than that (in melee), and every competitive Marth does it now (especially when chaingrabbing).

If I punch the bully would I also have lag on the end of my uppercut?
Actually...yes. The time it takes your brain to register that you've landed the hit (or missed for that matter) and the time it takes you to think of your next move (assuming something didn't go according to plan). The bully would be in "hitstun" (aka...pain).

lol real lif fights.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
After wasting 15min of my life reading the past conversations about buffer timings:

Blank Mauser you just have bad reaction and slower inputs than whats necessary for the 1-3 frame buffers.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Sorry to interrupt all the buffer talk, but... what have people been using lately for other codes?

I have started modifying the brawlplussery set to find what feels best for me

I have hitstun down to .475 (i think it was .485)
I am using 5 frame buffer, but I will be decreasing that soon I think to 3, possibly lower
for shieldstun I have it set to 10/20/5 which was suggested somewhere

I'm also looking into changing the hitlag, but I don't have a solid value yet

The Cape

Smash Master
*hugs Omni Ostrich*

One of my main arguements for buffering is the fact that you can be pushes off the stage and AD to your death, or do a move that causes you to die. Blank has already argued that if this happens to you, it deserves to happen to you. So basically, if the game decides to blow me up randomly, I deserve it? As I recall, thats why we dumped items.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Not to mention the backwards argument that if you get hit and Nair off the stage due to buffer, it's your fault. But poor timing and lack of technical skill is the game being mean.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
BTW, spinshotting only has a 1 frame window...but it's ridiculously easy to do lol. So the length of the window itself isn't that important, but rather how recognizable that window is. Bowser freakin flashes. Can't you just adjust your timing based on that?
You're right. But it's actually your proximity to the ground that queues your input. Remember, it's in ISJR. The flashing just tells you when the grab comes out, but if you're grabbing as early as possible like you should, you'll end up jumping out of the cool-down, not the flash.

Ok, Understandable... see the problem that i was having was to have bowsers grab animation come out while doing the jumps....so now by the way you explained it...i have to find the exact window that i can press jump and continue with the infinite "claw"...
Pretty much, but it's actually not that hard at 3 frames. On 1, it's doable, but a bit unreliable. On 0 it's probably too impractical, but I didn't bother trying it so I dunno. I'll show you when you come over.

DarkSonic said:
Actually...yes. The time it takes your brain to register that you've landed the hit (or missed for that matter) and the time it takes you to think of your next move (assuming something didn't go according to plan). The bully would be in "hitstun" (aka...pain).

lol real lif fights.
Don't forget the hitlag that occurs when your fist makes contact and temporarily slows down in it's arc. You can use that hitlag as a que to buffer your next punch :p

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Don't forget the hitlag that occurs when your fist makes contact and temporarily slows down in it's arc. You can use that hitlag as a que to buffer your next punch :p
You're not really buffering your next punch, since you're not "storing" signals in your muscles to punch as soon as possible. You're "preparing" for your next punch, but that's really the equivalent of spacing yourself during the hit so that the next move is in range to hit where you want it to.

There is no buffering in real life. There's hitstun, hitlag, windup lag, cooldown lag, range, and disjointed range...but not buffering. :laugh:

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, Understandable... see the problem that i was having was to have bowsers grab animation come out while doing the jumps....so now by the way you explained it...i have to find the exact window that i can press jump and continue with the infinite "claw"... wtf! has anyone here actually sat there with bowser and accomplished this? the problem with that is that the jump will not come out if you try to do a full claw... maybe bcuz the animation continues and it can only be cancelled at the very end when he is in the middle of his landing animation? (which is like a frame that you dont even see!!!)im going to test this out some more when i get the chance at sketch's place but right now it sounds pretty ufin impossible...
I can do this quite easily at 1 buffer. It took me about 5 mins to relearn the timing but then I was able to do it from a SH, FH w/e
Well then it's your fault for not waiting for your last move to finish. If you wanted to wait, you should've waited. You can decide whether or not to use the buffer. Let's say that instead of competitive smash, we're playing competitive rock-paper-scissors. There are 10 rounds. You have the option of either inputting your choice or rock, paper, or scissors in each round before the game starts, OR you can do one at a time and react to the situation. Let's say you buffer with all scissors (for simplicity's sake), and they choose rock each time individually. That's YOUR fault for using the buffer, and that's THEIR benefit for waiting.
So are you saying that I should not even be given the opportunity to attempt to correct my mistake? I don't know about you, but if I was in that fight and was in the process of pulling of the uppercut knowing it was going to backfire, I would do whatever possible to do a different move instead. But you are saying I should just do it anyway? (that would be the buffer saying to do it anyway)

I was hoping that analogy would help illustrate a point. Obviously not but I like the enthusiasm that branched off from it :)
When a player knows what he will do before hand and can activate the move he plans when he wants it without any help, that's better.
I don't practice every situation to learn buffering and I improvise just fine. I already figured out the timing difference between the 10 and the 1 and can already time my attacks with the new timing effortlessly . The smoothness from 10 buffering and the precision of 1 buffering is second-nature.
No one is going to be frame-perfect. If they do, its not going to be practical to implement it in play.
You need to be frame perfect to wingdash at 1 buffer and I can do that consistently and apply it like I was able to do at 10 so don't say that "no one is going to be frame perfect" because you are flat out wrong

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If it is anyway possible to make 3 new character slots containing these characters.

Charizard and Squirtle
Charizard and Ivysaur
Squirtle and Ivysaur

If you do this people can main all 3 pokemon, 2 out of the 3 pokemon, or just one of the pokemon.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
You think it's possible to make a code that applies the buffer to certain controller slots? It would be a waste of lines if it's possible, but you could have two slots be there for the buffer if someone feels they need it. Either way, my opinion is a 2-3 frame buffer is what's needed. I'm happy there are people out that there that can time their moves nearly frame perfect skill, but it really feels like I'm fighting my character and to control him/her rather then fighting my opponent.

Really the buffer system goes both ways. On one hand it's nice not getting pushed off and n-airing to my death but on the other hand I feel the game just feels less smooth.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think we shouldn't go above 2 imo. 2 is starting to feel a little sloppy. I don't like when my character performs when I don't tell it to do so. Even if I tell it to do a command and it performs it 2 frames later, its yuk and I feel out of control

GPDP

Smash Ace
I wonder if the one line buffer code only applies to button inputs and not directional inputs. Even at 1 buffer using the 16 line code, I would crouch after shffls and turn around after bairs, but with the one line code at 2 buffer, neither of those things happen, and instant aerials are possible and can be done consistently, including Ganon's AC dair.

Revven

FrankerZ
I wonder if the one line buffer code only applies to button inputs and not directional inputs. Even at 1 buffer using the 16 line code, I would crouch after shffls and turn around after bairs, but with the one line code at 2 buffer, neither of those things happen, and instant aerials are possible and can be done consistently, including Ganon's AC dair.
That's pretty sexy. I'm gonna put that buffer in my txt file then and replace the 16 liner for tomorrow's B+ shiz I'm gonna be doing.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Which buffer code are you using GPDP? I plan to update my codeset today with no locks and the new buffer code. Got people coming over to try B+.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
No offense but its still really simple to buffer in with 1 frame. The degree of control you have is critical to how well you play your character. Plain and simple, if you think players can't be frame perfect, your wrong. It rewards practice, it doesnt hand you your moves on a silver platter. Sure you want to reward players for being smart, but that still is the case with Buffer 1. It just allows that smarter player to be in even more control of their character, and I think any competitive player would want that.

Some things should be difficult to pull off. Players SHOULD have to time their double fairs well, or snake full nair full hop because they shouldn't come from button mashing. Buffer makes frame perfect things easier to do, at the cost of control. I'm not giving up control.

I'm sorry, but your argument does not make any concrete reasons why buffer at 10 frames is at beneficial besides being noob friendly.
I never argued for 10 frames of buffer. Also, the player is never without control. When you input the move, the move happens. Buffer increases the window of responsiveness, your still the one in control. The timing is just different for no reason. I don't see whats beneficial about 0-1 buffer either besides to make it not noob friendly.

More control is subjective. Inputting your move before-hand and it coming out right when I want it to is control to me.

3 frames (2 frame buffer) is more than enough time. That's perfectly reasonable and possible to do at high level play.

Actually, since precise timing is really just tech skill....yes they are. Name a single situation where it would be impossible implement rehearsed timing of moves (while actually trying to get the move to come out as fast as possible mind you)

You don't improvise buffer timing. You just press the button before you can move. Any improvisation in timing is done after you're already able to move.
No it is not. It's just really hard. At 2 frame buffer (ergo, 3 frame total window)....it's clearly practice.
Have you ever played melee? Mashing is the least effective way to get these things to come out (mashing causes you to actually miss the window more often than hitting it). Nobody mashes those things. The first thing the Marth boards tells people when they ask about double fair is "you're just going to have to practice the timing."
People should not be rewarded for learning their character?:confused: Lag time is a move specific trait that should be learned just like everything else (range, priority, damage, knockback, ect.). Buffering lag is no different than the ridiculous auto aim that's in Halo (where if you shoot next to the head it hits them anyway)
You will get the same results. Have you ever played any other fighter seriously? A 5 frame window is very generous in most fighters, and you can't seem to handle it? The buffer window is typically smaller than 5 frames, but no you want 10 frames because you don't want to have to practice, despite the negatives that come with it. A smaller buffer window would easily eliminate these negatives with absolutely no other effect on gameplay (assuming you practiced).

3-5 frames is more than practical. Just FYI, Fox's ledgehop waveland has a smaller window than that. And people do invincible upsmashes because they...practice. Pivot grabs have a smaller window than that (in melee), and every competitive Marth does it now (especially when chaingrabbing).

lol real lif fights.
I've been arguing for 2-3 frames. Also Melee is a different game. Because the game was so fast it was better to just land your moves. In Brawl theres more importance in aerials and I don't play Brawl the same way I play Melee.

After wasting 15min of my life reading the past conversations about buffer timings:

Blank Mauser you just have bad reaction and slower inputs than whats necessary for the 1-3 frame buffers.
I wanted 2-3 frame buffers. I just think its stupid to make it harder for no reason.

Also I could say the same thing about people who are just bad and mash buttons with more than 1-3 frames of buffer and end up getting punished for it.

*hugs Omni Ostrich*

One of my main arguements for buffering is the fact that you can be pushes off the stage and AD to your death, or do a move that causes you to die. Blank has already argued that if this happens to you, it deserves to happen to you. So basically, if the game decides to blow me up randomly, I deserve it? As I recall, thats why we dumped items.
Except you don't control items. When you end up SD'ing you still inputted the move and thats your fault.

I don't care anymore. Its just stupid to try to argue for whats practical here. Too many elitists. I think low buffer makes options hard enough to warrant reconsidering, but its obvious no one is going to realize what options they're even taking away so I'm ready to let you guys have this one as it earns me more persecution than necessary trying to defend a mechanic that makes the game more comfortable. I'm just not hardcore enough for 0-1 buffer, I'm sorry I ever tried to deny it.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
oh that is some bull****, all you have to do is go back and read the history, first you were arguing for above 10, then you came down to 5, and now you are 2-3 eh? Make up your mind man.
Okat that can not be true. When did I ever argue for anything above 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom