• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The bucket, is it overpowered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylantheNinja

Smash Cadet
I have a friend who plays Zelda and spams fireballs. I tried every character out and could never get past those stupid things. Then I tried GaW, and I discovered that Zelda has a kryptonite: The Bucket. So, I absorbed three fireballs, and at this point he was at 127%, so I killed him and saved the bucket. As soon as his invincibility wore off, I used the buckeet and KOed at 0%. So, I think that the bucket is way overpowered (and I just found a new favorite character). Discuss the bucket, and whether you think it is truly game breaking.

chic

Smash Ace
i played a 2v2 against Hylian who was using a G&W and his partner was a zss who would constantly fill up his bucket... it was too good too scary!!!... overpowered? dunno... :(

ColinJF

Smash Ace
The bucket isn't even close to being overpowered. Aside from all the lag every time you take it out (unless it fills up of course), the actual Oil Panic attack is possible to powershield on reaction (it comes out in 14 frames) unless you use it at point blank range (so that it comes out in two frames). So... to avoid being hit by the bucket, don't stand in front of Mr. Game & Watch. (Obviously you can't avoid it every time, but be cautious.) The attack also does tons of damage, which means it has tons of hitlag, so if it isn't one of those instant kill buckets, be sure to make sure of that hitlag to SDI away from the blast zone.

As for Din's Fire in general, quite a few aerials can destroy it, so that might help with your other characters.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
just air dodge din's fire. if u get the timing right ur good to go. punish zelda's lag. as for bucket, unless you consider bucket braking, isn't op at all. too much lag and probably one of the most situational moves in the game.

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
Not really. Din's Fire is powerful so three loads of it is pretty deadly if your friend is dumb enough to spam it all day AND let you fill it to full and then even get hit by it.

It's not that hard to counter it. It's just a nuisance at times.

DylantheNinja

Smash Cadet
just air dodge din's fire. if u get the timing right ur good to go. punish zelda's lag. as for bucket, unless you consider bucket braking, isn't op at all. too much lag and probably one of the most situational moves in the game.
Air dodging would be nice and all except you can't time it just right because if you air dodge just as the fireball reaches you they can wait to detonate it behind you, after the dodge is over, and it can still hit you. This guy is expert with them fireballs, but now he's afraid to use them seeing as I 1HKOed him all over the place.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Air dodging would be nice and all except you can't time it just right because if you air dodge just as the fireball reaches you they can wait to detonate it behind you, after the dodge is over, and it can still hit you. This guy is expert with them fireballs, but now he's afraid to use them seeing as I 1HKOed him all over the place.
Maybe if you're just standing there, but if you're actually moving forward and approaching (like you should be) you can airdodge through them.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
You actually found one of Zelda's many, many kryptonites.

>_>

Also, if you are thinking of maining GaW just for the bucket, check out the thread by A2ZOMG on Bucket Braking.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
You sure you tried everyone? Lucas and Ness' down B absorbs the move and lowers your damage.:)
The huge problem with those moves is that no matter how many times you try, you are still Ness/Lucas afterwards. =\

The bucket, even if you get punish, you are friggin GaW after you use it! OP

K 2

Smash Lord
The only practical use for bucket at high level play is bucket braking. If your opponent fills up your bucket with din's fire, that's there fault. Bucket is overpowered, your friend is just overstupid.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Usually I recovering, and he is EXPERT with them fireballs
Except your Up B has invincibility frames and huge range, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

To sum up though, the bucket is not overpowered; it's just a situational tool that is very good at its job.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, not overpowered. Maybe in team play where you can fill up G&W bucket with his partner's moves, but... In normal play, I don't think so.

Still, it's satisfying to see my brother spam thunder with Pikachu, then me scoring an instant-KO on him. :p

DylantheNinja

Smash Cadet
Well, I do like the fact that my friend has decided to revert to Luigi now, but I can't play R.O.B. anymore because if I pick him he always picks Zelda. Oh well. . .

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the bucket is an extremely high rish/reward move, that at high levels of play is basically only useful at long distances.

I mean, yeah, you can whip it out at medium and close distances, but prepared to get smacked while recovering from the ending lag.

So no, I don't think it's that overpowered considering its limited applicability (outside of bucket canceling of course).

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If MK could bucket brake, we would be crying.

Trufax.

Also, even if it only worked with his nair it would be dumb.

Its to bad GaW didn't get MK's u-air with his BB, that would be.. cool, to say the least

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Bucket is extremely good against Zelda and PK boys, and is broken nonsense in teams. Bucket also gives DDD, Pikachu, Pit, and ROB significant problems.

Also, you're not going to PS it on reaction if the G&W is smart. What G&W wants to do is use it out of shield. =)

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
One of my friends in my clan plays a very spammy Lucas...

I like something called oil-BOOM

It's sad he's that dumb...theres a pit that baits the bucket by filling it. He thinks it has like 10 minutes of lag.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
It does lag too much, but it is sometimes worth it. Especially on characters that give you a kill move, or on characters that aren't fast enough to punish it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think this was one of Sakurai's successful ways of trying to stop spamming. To bad he still failed all together

Psycho.Fx

Smash Rookie
probably repeating what hte other posts say but, yeah zelda is pretty weak and you should be spotdodging those dinns fires anyway. I use GW vs a friends lucario alot and bucket is definitely not imba=_=, even if i do absorb the aura sphere i still get punished due to bucket's massive lag. Now, i just dodge these annoying little projectiles unless im 100% sure im not gonna get punished. Bucket break is pretty awesome though =]

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
In short.

No its not.

It leaves you open if you botch it.

Theres lag on filling it.

It can be baited by characters with GOOD projectile.

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
Watch her hands. When she lets her hands loose, dodge.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Bucket is extremely good against Zelda and PK boys, and is broken nonsense in teams. Bucket also gives DDD, Pikachu, Pit, and ROB significant problems.

Also, you're not going to PS it on reaction if the G&W is smart. What G&W wants to do is use it out of shield. =)
The bucket is not very good against Ness and Lucas; it's one of those things that sounds nice on paper at first but really just doesn't work well. Bucketing the tail of Pk Thunder, the most common way to bucket it against Ness/Lucas who actually know how to steer the thing, sets you up for Pk Thunder 2 quite often (it's actually laggier than being hit by it) and gives you a minimum power bucket even if you fill it, and only stupid Ness/Lucas will let you get Pk Flash, Freeze, or Fire other than Ness's weak fire pillar once in a while so they aren't a big deal. The gimp is not that good either since both are pretty good at recovering without Pk Thunder (Lucas basically never needs it so the gimp might as well not exist with him), and either way actually moving Mr. Game & Watch to the gimp position before they start using Pk Thunder is not going to be possible very often; thinking it will happen all the time is kinda like thinking that every time Olimar ever has to recover in any way he'll be gimped. The bucket is still a really nice thing to have since it acts as a deterrent to long range Pk Thunder attacks, but its power as a deterrence is really the best thing about the bucket against those two (mostly Ness since Lucas's Pk Thunder is mediocre at best).

Smart R.O.B. players make it a real pain to use; they just switch from laser -> gyro to gyro -> laser and will stick with the weak laser more so even if you can bucket it it doesn't help you all that much. I find it's actually pretty decent against Falco, Wolf, and Lucario on top of those you mentioned though (not "really good" but "decent"). I agree that it's pretty nice against those other characters though; it's too funny to force King Dedede to keep an eye on the Waddle Doos. Just don't let him sweetspotted fsmash you when you get too excited over the bucket (getting too excited over the bucket leads to early deaths in every matchup actually). Of course, the bucket is also top tier on Corneria, but we all were already aware of that I think.

As a general point, for those who haven't thought about it, 1/3 of an instant kill bucket is worth taking 10-15% damage for. If they hit you out of the absorption lag of you getting a good projectile, it's very plausible that you actually won the exchange. The last absorption is extremely fast too so you only have to eat two hits to get a full bucket "the hard way".

Oil Panic out of shield at that super close range is generally effective, but the long range hit is only going to work out of a standard shield if you just blocked something silly like a sourspot fsmash from King Dedede that gives you a huge advantage. It's important to distinguish between Oil Panic's hits because the speed and range difference basically means that you use it like two different moves. Of course, Oil Panic out of powershield in almost any context is just amazing. I also like Oil Panic off a ledge; it's one of those attacks that goes through solid objects so it can really catch people like that.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
I have a friend who plays Zelda and spams fireballs. I tried every character out and could never get past those stupid things. Then I tried GaW, and I discovered that Zelda has a kryptonite: The Bucket. So, I absorbed three fireballs, and at this point he was at 127%, so I killed him and saved the bucket. As soon as his invincibility wore off, I used the buckeet and KOed at 0%. So, I think that the bucket is way overpowered (and I just found a new favorite character). Discuss the bucket, and whether you think it is truly game breaking.
dont spam

and yes its OP :)

also if you get hit and go flying, do the fishbowl, then the bucket as fast as you can IN THAT ORDER

then u tell me if its OP :)

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
Lol if the other player isn't stupid they wouldn't even let u fill up the bucket and get hit by it.
Anyway i would recommend to not put to much faith on the bucket because without good spacing the a good player would severely punish you.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Some projectiles I find it easier to simply crouch under (the ones that you can, Fox's for example) and dtilt wall with it's fast start up and ending.

It's hard to be punished for that, especially in contrast with filling a weak bucket.

I would like to note that a final fill of a bucket has little lag, you can catch people off guard sometimes.

White Out

Smash Apprentice
i played a serious mario player the other day and he was annoying with his fireballs not that any of them hit me but shielding them left me open for a grab and dodge them got me a smash in the face so i bucketed it and took the smash after three fills i finished off his stock got him about 30 percent damage and grabed down throw into Oil it killed him... was this op no i took 3 smashs for it and as GaW taken anything is not the best idea later i figured out a differnt way around the fireballs

Good Players specially falcos will bait you with lazors so they can hit you after bucket lagg and then not lazor the rest of the match after two fills Still useing falco as an example 30% chain grab + two free smashs= 60% free damage as GaW thats nearing death range if you don't bucket brake

I once had a falco shoot two lazors at the beginging of the match from a distance i new he couldn't punish me for and Right at the end of the match he shot a 3rd lazor i bucketed thinking i could grab him and the game would be over he ran up to me Foward smashed me while i had a tiny bit of lagg (thier still is some lagg on third fill ) thinking i could bucket break i attempted too but when oil panic came out i relized what he had done..... prity niffty falco if i say so myself....

If anyone didn't understand that bucket break does not work if ur bucket is full =(

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The closest thing to broken the bucket gets is allowing G&W to live to like 180% in certain stages.
Bucket braking is too good XD

Y u Mad?

Smash Rookie
The only time I use the bucket is if I happen to grab my opponent and dthrow him. Since for a few frames the opponent is rendered immobile, I'll use a fully charged bucket then.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
the bucket has too much lag time to even fill it up T_T
once against a lucario*throws aura ball**fills bucket*...2 secs later*still in that position...*dead*
since then i've never used it to fill it up,only for bucket breaking

its just too risky,unless its like pika's thunderstorm

c3gill

Smash Ace
The bucket isnt OP, oil panic can be a powerful move.... but it comes with a big downside, the lag.

I have definatly *accidentally* filled up a couple buckets while trying to mindgame around with PK fire/ PK freeze, and gotten punished by a bucket. It is a great move, balanced because its end can be very powerful, but the lag while filling the bucket gives it a downside.

*note- why the hell would a Zelda spam Dins against a G&W who was bucketing? if nothing else he couldve just let Dins go past you to blow it up, or raise it well above you, or blow it up in front of you. Dins fire can be a great mindgame, but using it in the way he was deserved a punish, good call on that. if i was playing my lucas, id happily take the free health from a dins fire spammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom