• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
ICG's grammar is downright horrible.
I think that grammar should not determine if one is good at debating or not. One can be good at debating even if they have bad grammar. There for it should not be the ultimate determining factor, And there for ICG should be let in to the debate halls grammar and all.

WTH is up with the -kupo?
I do not know what you are talking about please expand upon this statement.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I think that grammar should not determine if one is good at debating or not. One can be good at debating even if they have bad grammar. There for it should not be the ultimate determining factor, And there for ICG should be let in to the debate halls grammar and all.
Grammar is a big deciding factor. If you don't know when to put periods and capitalize, you shouldn't be in the debate hall.

I do not know what you are talking about please expand upon this statement.
I wasn't talking to you. And unless you know who kupo, grey, and salt are, you won't understand.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Grammar is a big deciding factor. If you don't know when to put periods and capitalize, you shouldn't be in the debate hall.
ICG however is not THAT bad, if someone was indeed that bad I would not be in disagreement with you. He, however does have his basic grammar and grammar should not be such a determining factor that it sidetracks from the fact he is good at debating.

I wasn't talking to you. And unless you know who kupo, grey, and salt are, you won't understand.
Oh, ok my misunderstanding.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
ICG however is not THAT bad if someone was indeed that bad I would not be in disagreement with you. He however does have his basic grammar and grammar should not be such a determining factor that it sidetracks the fact he is good at debating.
Unfortunately he is THAT bad. His statements take me 20 min. to decipher.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Unfortunately he is THAT bad. His statements take me 20 min. to decipher.
I can read them just as easily as Shakespeare English, Which is medium to easy of a read. So really, I do not see why you have to "decipher" his post. They make perfect sense to me.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I can read them just as easily as Shakespeare English, Which is medium to easy of a read. So really, I do not see why you have to "decipher" his post. They make perfect sense to me.
You might think his grammar's good, but everyone at the DH says it needs work.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
You might think his grammar's good, but everyone at the DH says it needs work.
I do not think his grammar is good. His grammar however is easy to read in spite of how "bad" it is and sense he is good at debating he should be let in. My argument is his debating skills out way his imperfect grammar which should not be a factor in not giving him access to the Debate Hall.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
how's my debating skills? Plus I'm still awaiting a reply from werekill in the gun control thread.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
My two cents.

I do not think his grammar is good. His grammar however is easy to read in spite of how "bad" it is and sense he is good at debating he should be let in. My argument is his debating skills out way his imperfect grammar which should not be a factor in not giving him access to the Debate Hall.
ICG's posts have been hard to decipher for quite sometime, and his topics have been head-scratching to say the least. And I've seen him posting in here for a year plus, and still not become a DHer.

If he actually tried posting things in a coherent fashion, perhaps. Till then...

how's my debating skills? Plus I'm still awaiting a reply from werekill in the gun control thread.
You've gotten better, but I would say that there is still some improving you could do before you should be let in.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
When someone does not have good grammar, it makes it harder to understand them, and harder to take them seriously. ICG may be one of my favorite SWF-ers, but not because I take him seriously. In fact, quite the opposite: I think he's a riot. If this was a quirky user board, or even a straight-up comedy board, ICG would make it in hands-down. But it's a debating board.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
ICG's posts have been hard to decipher for quite sometime, and his topics have been head-scratching to say the least. And I've seen him posting in here for a year plus, and still not become a DHer.

If he actually tried posting things in a coherent fashion, perhaps. Till then...
I can not understand why people are saying it is hard to understand him. Can you give some examples? And his topics are refreshing and unique and with a new wave of debates and thought it only proves that ICG is the hero that the world smash forums deserves, I guess most of the criticisms is a result of him being ahead of his time :ohwell:.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I can not understand why people are saying it is hard to understand him. Can you give some examples? And his topics are refreshing and unique and with a new wave of debates and thought it only proves that ICG is the hero that the world smash forums deserves, I guess most of the criticisms is a result of him being ahead of his time :ohwell:.
This is a prime example of many of the problems ICG has in his debate style.

The Debate Hall is centered around intelligent discussion of real world events. Last I checked, I did not see a zombie rising out of my flower bed. A discussion on zombies has no pertinence to the real world. His other topic "thoughts on knowledge" does pertain to the real world, but he didn't present any facet through which an intelligent discussion could start.

Grammar is a huge part of discussion. If people can't understand you then it really becomes frustrating to try and discuss something with them. ICG has a nasty habit of run-on sentences and comma splices. The comma splices are understandable because they don't take too much away from what you're trying to say and a lot of people do them without noticing. But run-on sentences gives the impression of someone who rambles. Their ideas become muddled and it is difficult to find out what their complete thoughts are.

The spelling mistakes distract readers from the point the poster is trying to make. With as many spelling mistakes as ICG makes, the reader misses the point of the post due to them being so caught up with correcting misspelled words. Then the reader has to reread ICG's post again to figure out what he's trying to get across.

/Explanation.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Shadokupo (stop changing your name, I still think of you as Guest) has a point.

If you're going to have a PG to test debaters, then ICG shouldn't be let in. If you're going to let someone like ICG in, then there's virtually no point in having a selection process, because you'd essentially let anyone in unless they're blatantly offensive (although once you're in the DH you can be offensive and you won't get kicked out).

Sieguest

Smash Master
Lol, you can still address me as Guest if you want. I'll still answer to it. xD (I might end up changing my name back to Guest because I kind of liked it.)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
This is a prime example of many of the problems ICG has in his debate style.

The Debate Hall is centered around intelligent discussion of real world events. Last I checked, I did not see a zombie rising out of my flower bed. A discussion on zombies has no pertinence to the real world. His other topic "thoughts on knowledge" does pertain to the real world, but he didn't present any facet through which an intelligent discussion could start.
I understand where you are coming from. However, the topic you quoted could have real life moral implications based on what measures we as a species would go to in order to survive. Look at the Mutant Registration Program in the archives. A fine debate in my opinion, and it was not based off of things that happen in real life. HOWEVER,

Grammar is a huge part of discussion. If people can't understand you then it really becomes frustrating to try and discuss something with them. ICG has a nasty habit of run-on sentences and comma splices. The comma splices are understandable because they don't take too much away from what you're trying to say and a lot of people do them without noticing. But run-on sentences gives the impression of someone who rambles. Their ideas become muddled and it is difficult to find out what their complete thoughts are.

The spelling mistakes distract readers from the point the poster is trying to make. With as many spelling mistakes as ICG makes, the reader misses the point of the post due to them being so caught up with correcting misspelled words. Then the reader has to reread ICG's post again to figure out what he's trying to get across.
This is the main issue with ICG. This is the reason why I wouldn't support his inclusion in the DH.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am posting here not to argue why I should Join the debate hall as I do not think I am ready yet. I post here because I wish to ask for advice. What can I do to improve my debating and I wish a precise response not a "You need to improve on A" but "You need to improve on A because of B and C, doing D and E will be a step in the right direction to improving A."

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I am posting here not to argue why I should Join the debate hall as I do not think I am ready yet. I post here because I wish to ask for advice. What can I do to improve my debating and I wish a precise response not a "You need to improve on A" but "You need to improve on A because of B and C, doing D and E will be a step in the right direction to improving A."

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
I'd be willing to help but I believe I will need more to go on. I'll admit I have not paid much attention to your posts, but I have reviewed this topic for the sake of argument.

Heh, ... well ok, for starters the topic itself was ... eh. Hard to debate. I was unsure as to your approach, so lets look at your main argumentative and dissect it a bit:

There is "Good" and "bad" in every thing if we go by the "traditional" definitions. Even in senseless murder of the innocent (which I STRONGLY DISAGREE with) has the advantage of decreasing the surplus human population.
I sense you're half pulling from Shakespeare and Dickens.

"Why, then, 'tis none to you; for there is nothing
either good or bad, but thinking makes it so: to me
it is a prison." -Hamlet

"f they'd rather die, then they had better do it and decrease the surplus population." -Scrooge

The question here is, do you really believe this? Rather than go straight into pointing out that Good and Bad are subjective terms, you may have done better to challenge the OP's definition of "murder" so as to set a precedent for the debate. Without doing this, you'll notice both of you dissolved quickly into point-for-point arguments that mainly slipped from the original thesis.

However Murder for Murder is something I normally agree with as a punishment however I disagree with current methods.
This is where you begin to define for yourself acceptable forms of Murder, in this case, revenge. Eye-for-an-eye mentality. But you claim that "current methods" are unacceptable, and then go further to say:

Personal I prefer the Guillotine because it is Easy to maintain (just change out the rope and sharpen the blade on occasion.) Cheap to maintain (re: above) Easy to use (I mean real easy). While execution methods such as Lethal injection cost so much it is cheaper to keep them alive in jail for the rest of there life (In my opinion that is kind of sad and that is why I support the guillotine as a method of execution it can help save the tax payers money, granted not at first but in the long run.)
... so now we're talking about Capital Punishment. You see the difficulty here? Rather than sticking to one idea and formulating it, you've convoluted 2 ideas, "justifiable homicide" and Execution by the State. Though both can be considered "murder" (again since you didn't define it as such, this is an assumption), they're two different aspects and should be discussed separately.

Murder to live (self-defense) is another justification for murder. As well as if you are hungry and there really is no other food.
Here you argue for manslaughter. And... cannibalism? yeah... a bit ... awkward to segue in this manner. But, as such it did add to your banter later on, lol. What it did not do is enhance your thesis at all, so in general I would recommend when you make an argument to remain focused on key aspects of the argument, and complete your thoughts before moving on to new ground. Always ensure that your points come back to your main thought.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
I'm not in any hurry, but how long does it take a person usually to be "promoted" from PG to Debate Hall?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It shouldn take too long now that the place has been reformed.

I say you should be let in.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
It's been reformed?

@kirbyoshi

I wouldn't take dre's remark as a personal compliment. He wants every PGer in the debate hall.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Thanks Sucumbio, so in a quick nut shell I need to stick to one point and develop that point further more I need to ask who I am debating against to define subjective terms in there argument. Finally I need to develop my points more, am I understanding what I need to fix in order to get better?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Thanks, Sucumbio. So in a quick nut shell, I need to stick to one point and develop that point. Furthermore, I need to ask of whom I am debating against to define subjective terms in their argument. Finally, I need to develop my points more. Am I understanding what I need to fix in order to get better?
Yes . :)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's been reformed?

The moderating used to be non-existant, so people like me had to wait months before a moderator came by and admitted us into the DH. Now Sucumbio and Goldshadow have been appointed as moderators more people are being let in. They, as well as other DHers, have also taken it upon themselves to initiate new activities like Devil's Advocate etc., so all the new PGers that are coming through now are coming into an environment that is much better than when I first came in as a PGer.

@kirbyoshi

I wouldn't take dre's remark as a personal compliment. He wants every PGer in the debate hall.
Not everyone. I don't think ICG should be let in, and there are people who already in the DH who I think should have been ejected for misconduct (I won't mention names, but everyone knows who I'm talking about anyway).

KirbyYoshi did actually strike me as pretty good debater though.

I'm just more lenient when it comes to selection because because frankly, if someone knows how to write properly and isn't offensive, they should be let into the hall. Being stricter beyond that is just unwarranted arrogance by DHers, because virtually all of us are undergraduates here, so nothing gives us the authority to assume we're better than PGers.

For example, when I was a PGer, I was told my arguments needed improvement, yet virtually all of my arguments were taken from the greatest philosophers of the western world.

I used to get told my argument were so bad that they were indefensible, yet in reality most of my arguments represented neo-platonism, and most philosophers in history have been neo-platonists, yet apparently the arguments of these philosophers weren't even worthy of the DH.

That's just one example of the implications of giving such authority to the Dhers. We don't have the right to measure the quality of a debater, we should just assess whether they apply the general rules of debating to their posts, and if they od, they hsould be let in, as simple as that.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
The moderating used to be non-existant, so people like me had to wait months before a moderator came by and admitted us into the DH. Now Sucumbio and Goldshadow have been appointed as moderators more people are being let in. They, as well as other DHers, have also taken it upon themselves to initiate new activities like Devil's Advocate etc., so all the new PGers that are coming through now are coming into an environment that is much better than when I first came in as a PGer.
Ah, I see.

Not everyone. I don't think ICG should be let in, and there are people who already in the DH who I think should have been ejected for misconduct (I won't mention names, but everyone knows who I'm talking about anyway).
You in the Jedi council said:
Just let them all in. It's not enough they're going to ruin the DH.
The thing is, you only disapprove of the extremes. For example, in thi above statement, you said to include dragoon fighter, who definetly needs work.

That's just one example of the implications of giving such authority to the Dhers. We don't have the right to measure the quality of a debater, we should just assess whether they apply the general rules of debating to their posts, and if they od, they hsould be let in, as simple as that.
I haven't seen any of your PGer arguments, however, if you look at dragoon's "public execution debate", you can tell it needs work. And not because of philosiphys.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My prior debates are on the allisbrawl off topic forums which I might get in trouble for linking because it's a competing site.
I do have a few examples of political debates on this site.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10872075&postcount=814
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10874693&postcount=824
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10883039&postcount=845
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10890202&postcount=880
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10896482&postcount=897
Sucumbio sent me a message about a better place for debate posts, lol.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
-_- You make me feel like I have the worst grammar nazi ever. :(
A grammar nazi is someone who is a stickler for grammar, sometimes to a fault. NOT someone with bad grammar.

EDIT: Could someone possibly take that sig off for me? I swear I didn't check the box >.>

Top Bottom