• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The champ in making would like to battle, Pokémon Trainer for Smash Switch.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I am SO happy to see Red back with his pkmn!!!! Also I love that he’s right there on the box art again!! Also even if forced switching on KO Is still present don’t forget this is only a beta build eseintially

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I found individual mii fighter renders on the Mii thread so I came here if anyone knew about individual renders of Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. The website groups all 4 intro one render with text covering the pokemon.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, as long as Samus's two suits are separate, I'm happy that the Pokémon Trainer returns. At least I can use Squirtle.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Congrats to all the PT/Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard players who got the Pokemon Trainer back! And without stupid gimmicks! Three fully functional fighters. You guys, Wolf players like me, Snake supporters, ICs, Young Link, and especially Pichu mains, we all scored a victory this week.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so i guess the charizard amiibo will function as a pokemon trainer amiibo with the new smash

i imagine we may get a pokemon trainer amiibo as well as surely its not just the newcomers but the vetrans who didnt make it last time thatll get ones

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ivy, ivy, ivvyyyyy!
I seconded PT in brawl, thank goodness fatigue is gone. I'd much rather have rock smash than flare blitz.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon Trainer, with Squirtle, Ivysayr, and Charizard in tow glad their back.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I feel like I'm one of the few people who didn't mind the fatigue mechanic in Brawl. (the long switch times and type advantages were awful though)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Something I didn't think about until I was looking around the Smash Bros wiki: Since Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS can't change between each other mid battle anymore, Pokemon Trainer is now the only character in the entire game that lets you switch who you're playing mid-battle.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Something I didn't think about until I was looking around the Smash Bros wiki: Since Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS can't change between each other mid battle anymore, Pokemon Trainer is now the only character in the entire game that lets you switch who you're playing mid-battle.
And as a Zero Suit Samus main, I am thankful for that. Now I don't have to worry about changing characters when a Smash Ball appears. She does put on her power suit for her Final Smash but that's a temporary aesthetic for the move. And with the stamina mechanic removed, Charizard mains from Smash 4 can play Charizard all they want without learning to play Squirtle and Ivysaur. And people who liked Squirtle could use him all they want. And Ivysaur can be used more often than ever. However, would there be a way to prevent CPU Trainers from changing Pokémon on you so that you would only fight the one you want?

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I just Realized this during the ZeRo vs. Leffen match:
smart move.PNG
they gave Leaf some bike shorts, smart move Massive-hero Soccer guy:awesome:.

Also How good do you guys think Squirtle will be without Shellshifting? ZeRo says that Squirtle has really high priority that can beat Shieks moves.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Although Rock Smash was essential to me in Brawl, I figure they kept Flare Blits instead due to the gliding mechanic being gone. (Because it would make no sense for Charizard to have the worst recovery of the 3).

I've lifted my personal Charizard ban from 3DS that I established from the start, and now I'm using him a lot since PT's confirmation, to get ready for Ultimate. Also, can't for that amiibo!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, it wouldn't make sense for Charizard to have the worst recovery because he's the one with the wings.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
So, once this game is out, are people here gonna be all like "if you only main one you're stupid"?
'cuz I'm planning to main Ivysaur alone. Though, switching to Charizard for recovery might have some merits.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
So, once this game is out, are people here gonna be all like "if you only main one you're stupid"?
'cuz I'm planning to main Ivysaur alone. Though, switching to Charizard for recovery might have some merits.
Refusing to switch out is like using puff without Rest, from what I've seen Ivy lacks a recovery and good quick defensive options both fixed by switching out at the right time.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah, it wouldn't make sense for Charizard to have the worst recovery because he's the one with the wings.
This doesn't look like the case anymore. Zard's recovery is a lot better now, maaaaaaybe the best of the three but I haven't seen how good Waterfall is yet.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Refusing to switch out is like using puff without Rest, from what I've seen Ivy lacks a recovery and good quick defensive options both fixed by switching out at the right time.
Yeaaah, that sounds like something a really boring person would say.
I'm maining Ivy solo.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ultimately you can play how you want and there's nothing stopping you from only playing the one you really like. (Besides forced switching, which can make it a bit of a pain, but eh.)

If you're trying to actually play this game seriously with this character though, that's a different story.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Refusing to swap is like only playing Sheik in Melee. It can work fine too. Use who's either the best for the MU or who you're best with.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, if you really need to stick with one character, I guess the most effective way would be to play only one-stock matches. That way you would lose when you're KO'ed instead of changing Pokémon.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Call me weird but I love the fact that Red/Lead are far more center stage in the way they’re presented, makes me feel more important. Notice how only Red has a stock icon?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Call me weird but I love the fact that Red/Lead are far more center stage in the way they’re presented, makes me feel more important. Notice how only Red has a stock icon?
Leaf has a stock icon too, we just can't access it (just like we can't access her official render) because Red is the only one displayed on the official Smash website.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Leaf has a stock icon too, we just can't access it (just like we can't access her official render) because Red is the only one displayed on the official Smash website.
I think he means how only the trainer has a stock icon and not Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm guessing we'll eventually get stock icons for the three - Brawl had individual icons for each :pt::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:

Plus, G&W's throw now converts the character into their stock icon, so it'd look weird if each Pokémon disappeared into the Trainer's head.

I'm waiting until we can get the good quality renders of Leaf and the others.

Also - Anybody know the Pokémon recolors? SmashWiki posted the 8 for the Trainer and Squirtle, but not for Ivy and Charmie.

D

Deleted member

Except slightly washed out match the "Ken Sugimori" artwork palette.

One small thing bothering me about PT's alts is that the Pokemon colors do not match up well with the trainer colors. The trainer colors are in the right order as they go up a Gen each after default Green/Leaf, but the Pokemon's alt colors seem to be ordered based on Smash 4 Charizard's colors. This leads to some mismatched colors like "Gold" using green-colored alts, "Emerald May" using pink mons, "Lucas" using yellow mons, and default Green/Leaf using red mons. The Hilda and Calem alts are fine though, and the Moon alts kind of work out considering Moon (the game) is purple-colored.

If anything, default Green/Leaf should get pinks, "Gold" gets yellows, "Emerald May" gets greens, and "Lucas" gets reds.

Also on slightly unrelated note, Charizard's claws are still hexagonal... (his smash 4 model was clearly edited from his Brawl one, and it seems to be reused here).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Before anyone says that custom specials are not coming back, I'll just post the following...

Squirtle
  • Water Gun
    • Custom 1 - Scald: Charges faster, and the water deals flame damage. However, the range of the water will be shorter than normal.
    • Custom 2 - High-Pressure Water Gun: Takes longer to fully charge, but the range of the water will be greater than normal.
  • Withdraw
    • Custom 1 - Rapid Spin: The shell travels at a slower speed, but it can deliver multiple hits on opponents.
    • Custom 2 - Bouncing Withdraw: Similar to Withdraw, except for that Squirtle will bounce while moving forward, and deals less damage as well.
  • Waterfall
    • Custom 1 - Rising Waterfall: Travel distance is increased, but Squirtle can only travel straight up.
    • Custom 2 - Surf: Sacrifices vertical distance for increased horizontal distance.
Ivysaur
  • Bullet Seed
    • Custom 1 - Seed Bomb: Fires a single seed that explodes after a while. The explosion covers a good distance, and deals good damage and knockback.
    • Custom 2 - Wide Bullet Seed: Seeds are fired in various directions instead of always straight up. Damage output is reduced, but the attack range is better.
  • Razor Leaf
    • Custom 1 - Speedy Leaf: The leaf travels a greater distance than normal, but deals less damage as a drawback.
    • Custom 2 - Big Razor Leaf: The leaf is larger, and doesn't travel as far. However, it can deal multiple hits on opponents, which also deal decent knockback.
  • Vine Whip
    • Custom 1 - Vine Leap: Ivysaur gains more vertical height, but the vine's range will also be shorter than normal.
    • Custom 2 - Extended Vine Whip: The vine's range is longer, but it can only travel straight up.
Charizard
  • Flamethrower
    • Custom 1 - Fire Fang: Same properties as in Smash 3DS / Wii U.
    • Custom 2 - Fireball Cannon: Same properties as in Smash 3DS / Wii U. However, Charizard would only have to spit one fireball before ending the attack, and the fireballs deal stronger knockback.
  • Flare Blitz
    • Custom 1 - Blast Burn: Same properties as in Smash 3DS / Wii U.
    • Custom 2 - Dragon Rush: Same properties as in Smash 3DS / Wii U. However, Charizard would also receive some heavy armor, though the damage threshold would be weaker than that of Flare Blitz.
  • Fly
    • Custom 1 - Rising Cyclone: Same properties as in Smash 3DS / Wii U. However, it would trap fighters better than before.
    • Custom 2 - Fly High: Same properties as in Smash 3DS / Wii U. However, the travel distance would be much better than before, giving the move more practical usage when trying to recover.
Pokemon Trainer
  • Pokemon Change
    • Custom 1 - Reverse Pokemon Change: The Pokemon Change order will be reversed; Squirtle -> Charizard -> Ivysaur.
    • Custom 2 - Pokemon Booster: Switching will increase the next Pokemon's damage output by 1.2x. However, the boost only lasts for 20 seconds, and you can't switch again until 40 seconds have passed.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As a Zard main I need rock smash.....somebody help me start a petition!!!!
Unless you consider switching off from Zard religious sacrilege, switching to Squirtle will probably be a better escape than Rock Smash ever was.
Especially if Withdraw still resists attack damage.

Top Bottom