• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The change in smashboards

TastelessRamen

Smash Apprentice
Due to the release of brawl , and the flood of terrifyingly misinformed noobs, this board has become a bastion for everything wrong with gaming.

People complain about things they don't understand, claim that wave dashing or l cancelling or chain grabbing is unfair or removes strategy from the game (?) and seem to be ignorant on almost any topic raised. These people of course, cannot wave dash or l cancel, so they actually have no idea what they're talking about.

Anyone making any kind of comparison between Melee and Brawl is lambasted with bizarre assertions of "this is not melee 2.0." Of course, no one who says this even knows what it means, since they all suck at melee anyway.

There was a time when Smashboards was a great place to get together and discuss the competitive aspect of a quality game series in an environment where the discourse was informed and intelligent.

That time is over.

Before I leave, I just wanted to let you all know, you're all noobs, you've killed smashboards.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sigh... another thread about "The state of things"....

People, sure, we've had an influx of n00bs, but Im sure it'll die down sooner or later, much like the influx of random people immediately after Brawl's release flooding our boards making it impossible to browse.

I had to get up at 5 a.m. just to browse the **** character boards. Thankfully, thats over.

Just relax. This'll fold itself over and leave in no time, then things will return to how they used to be.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
Good riddance. Any ways, shouldn't a person that can't wave dash just ask to play non wave dash or stuff like that, because, I mean that would be easier. GOOD RIDDANCE. Now only if I can get rid of all those other noobs that come here and spam...

You know what, I take that back. Stay. I want intelligent people to stay here, and idiots to leave.

Helicore

Smash Rookie
I agree with the fact that all people do on the boards in complain and call people noobs but you must realize that after what you just said you are guilty of the same crime

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
I agree with what you said however, like you said, these people are noobs and they'll sometimes have rediculous questions and oppinions on things regarding smash because ,like you said again, most of them are mis/uninformed sometimes, however with time these noobs will start to mature to the smash game. I'll give it a year or less and these posts will likely dissapear. Whenever a noob posts a misinformed claim call him/her out on it and whenever a noob asks a question answer it, because everytime you do you are helping these noobs ascend to the next level thus helping to get rid of this problem faster and faster. We where all noobs once.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what you said however, like you said, these people are noobs and they'll sometimes have rediculous questions and oppinions on things regarding smash because ,like you said again, most of them are mis/uninformed sometimes, however with time these noobs will start to mature to the smash game. I'll give it a year or less and these posts will likely dissapear. Whenever a noob posts a misinformed claim call him/her out on it and whenever a noob asks a question answer it, because everytime you do you are helping these noobs ascend to the next level thus helping to get rid of this problem faster and faster. We where all noobs once.
this is what happened to me i was a noob and im still sorta a noob but i got the grasp of things now. if they dont understand instead of saying "NooB" tell them the answer maybe they wont be a noob in a week or so

Valgarus

Smash Rookie
Complaining about noobs complaining. Quite a lovely point of your thread. Yes, I have less than 10 posts, yes the words underneath my avatar read "Smash N00b". I apologize in advance for any comment that may have or will hurt your eyes in the future.

As a side note, there is such a thing as good smash players who don't go onto forums, and when they are excited about a new intallment they may or may not find a link to your forum. God forbid anyone who hasn't posted more than a hundred posts, they must be awful at video games, they must know absolutely nothing!!!

Get something else to complain about please, if someone(not always a noob to the game/forum mind you) says something dumb, it's better to respond in a way that clearly explains why their comment was dumb. I'm not saying to baby the person, but you also don't need to break your keyboard.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
No he's pretty much correct al i' saying is just leave if you want too no point in *****ing about it unless you want attention.
He's saying what everyone is thinking. Once people starting to link to this site on Gamefaqs, the troll population increased dramatically. This is fact.

EatChildren

Smash Cadet
Nah, the problem with Smashboards is that its full of pompous arrogant arseholes who live and die for the game and boards, turning every single little bit of news or event into a soap opera, constantly seek attention and "e-props", taking absolutely everything far too seriously, beating down on anybody who has an opinion different from them, acting like they know everything, and generally letting their elitism get in the way of making new members feel welcomed.

Its not new members fault for being misinformed, or for Brawl being their first Smash game, its tools like you who expect everyone to know everything that make this place a misserable hole.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Funny that he complains about noobs look at the threads he makes

Super Trashed Brothers, (The SSBM Drinking Game)
Boo
I had a dream about brawl last night, (brawl questions answered.)
Evidence falco isn't in?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Sadly the coming of brawl has attracted many a people over to this board. Maybe if we all fall back to melee/tournament discussion, all the noobs will go away.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Nah, the problem with Smashboards is that its full of pompous arrogant arseholes who live and die for the game and boards, turning every single little bit of news or event into a soap opera, constantly seek attention and "e-props", taking absolutely everything far too seriously, beating down on anybody who has an opinion different from them, acting like they know everything, and generally letting their elitism get in the way of making new members feel welcomed.

Its not new members fault for being misinformed, or for Brawl being their first Smash game, its tools like you who expect everyone to know everything that make this place a misserable hole.
If only he had met the nice competitive players first...

Seriously guy, you're going to come back to SWFs anyway, and even if you did leave forever, we don't need your exit speech, especially if it is as badly written as this one.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
one of the points of these boards is for people to get on, post questions they might have about the game, communicate with each other, not to drive "noobs" into the dirt. There have been some pointless threads and all, but not everyone in the world is as an experienced master as we'd like to think..
We must share the wealth of brawl with everyone!!

EatChildren

Smash Cadet
If only he had met the nice competitive players first...
Oh, that I don't deny. There are some really nice and intelligent pro players here. I've been a huge fan of the series since Smash64 and play Melee to this day, but I'm not a tourney player and have no interest in taking up professional league playing, but I love to read about the indepth views and opinions of those who really know what they're talking about.

But my point still stands. For every wonderful pro player here there is another pro player who can't stand being "wrong", turns every little thing into a cry-baby sob story, constantly seeks praise, and generally makes life hell for new members here.

Guys, look at the top of the page;

SMASHBOARDS
The Largest Smash Bros Community
If you're going to be the largest community you need to be prepared for a wide variety of players. Yeah, you've got the pros, but professional tournament players are a minority in the long run. You're also going to have very casual players, people who don't "love" but still "like" the series, and people who have never played a Smash game before except Brawl.

Trolls are annoying, but don't confuse them with new fans.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I hope this will be the first and last time I have to say this. Sigh.

It's not even out yet. Only a handful of Smash Boarders have actually played it, and this is just some of the same pre-game trauma we've felt before the game was released in Japan. Give it a chance and there will be new competitive things to discuss. Who cares what anybody thinks of Melee or L-Cancelling or Wave Shuffling or Short Flopping when you're preparing for Brawl, it doesn't matter. Unless the features added or removed are enough for you to not want to buy or play it, I think you'll find people to talk about new competitive play with.

Fuego

Smash Cadet
Funny that he complains about noobs look at the threads he makes

Super Trashed Brothers, (The SSBM Drinking Game)
Boo
I had a dream about brawl last night, (brawl questions answered.)
Evidence falco isn't in?
Look Super Drybones, that Trashed Brothers post was put up over two years ago. I am TastelessRamen's roommate and we have been playing smash since 2001. How old were you at that time? There is no point in calling someone a noob when you do not know much about them. And I know that tastlessramen called you all Noobs - It's just a generalization...MOST of you are noobs. Looks like you're a member since last month? hmmm...

Oh yeah, we own brawl and play Melee competitively. So this is not all speculation, It's the sad truth.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
Way to generalize. Oh, and by your post count, it doesn't seem that you've made any substantial contributions to these boards. Good riddance?

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Look Super Drybones, that Trashed Brothers post was put up over two years ago. I am TastelessRamen's roommate and we have been playing smash since 2001. How old were you at that time? There is no point in calling someone a noob when you do not know much about them. And I know that tastlessramen called you all Noobs - It's just a generalization...MOST of you are noobs. Looks like you're a member since last month? hmmm...

Oh yeah, we own brawl and play Melee competitively. So this is not all speculation, It's the sad truth.
Actually i lost my old account from about 3 yrs ago and had to make a neww one(stupid save pssword error)
Also i find it funny that he had to get his roommate to defend him
But you two aren't worth even 2 mins of my time respond anyway you wish

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Due to the release of brawl , and the flood of terrifyingly misinformed noobs, this board has become a bastion for everything wrong with gaming.

People complain about things they don't understand, claim that wave dashing or l cancelling or chain grabbing is unfair or removes strategy from the game (?) and seem to be ignorant on almost any topic raised. These people of course, cannot wave dash or l cancel, so they actually have no idea what they're talking about.

Anyone making any kind of comparison between Melee and Brawl is lambasted with bizarre assertions of "this is not melee 2.0." Of course, no one who says this even knows what it means, since they all suck at melee anyway.

There was a time when Smashboards was a great place to get together and discuss the competitive aspect of a quality game series in an environment where the discourse was informed and intelligent.

That time is over.

Before I leave, I just wanted to let you all know, you're all noobs, you've killed smashboards.
Stop whining my friend... patience is key.

If you leave crap on the floor, then a beautiful flower can grouw out of it. You just have to groom it correctly.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice

Can I hear a Check please?

Fuego

Smash Cadet
Actually i lost my old account from about 3 yrs ago and had to make a neww one(stupid save pssword error)
Also i find it funny that he had to get his roommate to defend him
But you two aren't worth even 2 mins of my time respond anyway you wish
Funny that you took the time to respond. Regardless, he did not get me to defend his views, I just saw what you said, and felt compelled to respond.

But really, don't worry about it. Stay here, deal with these noobs, play Brawl for yourself and decide.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Shall I hand you an anti-flame shield? You just mocked our crazy love for Smash.

Find me a well-respected member who does the elitist things you say, and I sir, shall give you a raisin cookie.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman

Abso-freaking-lutely.

I'd like to add 'tournament' concerned players opposed to everybody else as well. The snooty people bawling over advanced techinques and tier lists are better then the ones with more basic questions? Everybody needs to turn it down several notches with the elitism, banal whining, and just plain rudeness.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Stop whining my friend... patience is key.

If you leave crap on the floor, then a beautiful flower can grouw out of it. You just have to groom it correctly.
Or it can just remain as **** on the floor :laugh: See ya later bro, its hard to find any 2001-2006 guys around here now a days. I find it pathetic that all these 2007/2008 are bashing you right now. I think its just the Brawl sections, all the other competitive areas of the boards appear to be cleaner from the idiocy.

EatChildren

Smash Cadet
Shall I hand you an anti-flame shield? You just mocked our crazy love for Smash.

Find me a well-respected member who does the elitist things you say, and I sir, shall give you a raisin cookie.
I've got no beef with people loving Smash, I'm also not going to bluntly target members as being a new poster (long-time lurker) I'll be round up and shot.

That and I don't like raisins :lick:.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the main problem is that there is a large number of children arguing about children against children, because one of the demographics of Nintendo games is just that: Children.

Regardless of age, a grown man can also act like a child, so there are also grown men acting like children arguing about etc. The point is, children.

No seriously, you can't expect everyone in this forum, let alone ANYWHERE on the internet, to be completely devoid of stupid notions... in fact, that is almost a paradox of what the internet actually is. That being said, take every rumor you read with a grain of salt, take a deep breath with every angry, noob-tastic outburst, and get on with your life. Even if you play it for money, it IS just a game, and for that reason it is not worth stressing over the fact that there is a large population of degenerate, misinformed losers out there.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a thread complaining about complaining. Its not about whiny, spammy topics.

Its about the large amount of misinformed posters on the Brawl boards who never truly understood anything about Melee.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman

Generalization. This is a generalization itself, but I believe it is the noobies (not necessarily new comers, but just idiot posters) are the ones who take offense to anything the competitive players say. As I recall,
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=145853
people are attacking the poster for simply 'comparing' brawl and melee.

Sorry, I would rather take the competitive elitist over the swarms of:
Landmasters, Barrel Rolls, Tires don exits, Melee 2.0, zomg Furries, lol 10chars.

Not to say I hate newcomers and idolize the pros, newcomers are cool as long as they aren't such mindless forum trolls, which is evident on the forum now.

EatChildren

Smash Cadet
Generalization. This is a generalization itself, but I believe it is the noobies (not necessarily new comers, but just idiot posters) are the ones who take offense to anything the competitive players say. As I recall,
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=145853
people are attacking the poster for simply 'comparing' brawl and melee.

Sorry, I would rather take the competitive elitist over the swarms of:
Landmasters, Barrel Rolls, Tires don exits, Melee 2.0, zomg Furries, lol 10chars.

Not to say I hate newcomers and idolize the pros, newcomers are cool as long as they aren't such mindless forum trolls, which is evident on the forum now.
I know it was a generalisation, which is why I followed up with saying that there are many intelligent and nice pro players here.

I also never denied the existence of irritating dip**** posters. Just browsing now I've seen two or three threads written by people who either a) know painfully little about Smash while trying to pretend they know a lot, or most likely b) trolling for the sake of trolling.

The problem is the elitists stick around while the morons move on. I know it from being a moderator of another forum; members that arrive with a soul intention to troll and annoy don't last long. They annoy everyone, but they fizzle out and disappear in time.

Elitists don't, and instead of targeting just annoying members they target anybody who is not agreeing with them, or worse yet members that don't have an established post count or knowledge of past Smash games, regardless of how intelligent they post.

Every forum has its trolls. Every forum. No exception. Even forums with a paid subscription get trolls. Every forum also has its elitists, but the elitists stick around while the trolls move on.

They're like those angry old people who hate technology or something like that. Not because they've sat down and thought about it, or decided to accept something new or the new generation, but because they are so used to a certain way they've become stuck in it and refuse to accept an alternative.

The release of Brawl in Japan is a good example. This place, along with GameFAQs, was hell thanks to the massive amount of whining over the 35 roster. No, I don't mean "Expressing disappointment in an intelligent manner", even though that too existed, I mean childish whining, tantrum throwing, and elitist know-all attitudes taking over.

Sure, you'd rather the elitists stick around, but it turns many, many new members away. Not trolls, but new members who seek intelligent discussion, as old fans but new posters, or new fans entirely.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
this thread is foolish you complain about noobs but you pull this noob like stunt yes the board is flooded with new people because of brawl i'm one of them but soon after brawl comes out a lot of the new people will drop off and only those whom really enjoy disscussing Smash Bros will remain and the board will level out again and things will be senseable untill the next smash bros come out and we'll go through this all over again. So quit your *****ing everyone starts out as a noob at some point it so knock off and let the natural progression of things happen.

P.S you have 82 post and you've been here since 06 i've been here less than half the time and i've got more than 6 times your postage and i've never made any pointless threads or got on with bull**** like this.

Top Bottom