• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chibi-Robo for SSB4 Thread!! A little guy with BIG Potential!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
still, telly had his own trophy in brawl. So that's why i said that.

Is the serie you think of Famicom Detective Club? Or Elite Beat Agents?
That doesn't really matter fully because the gamecube game was the last game before Brawl's development I believe so they were just pulling from the last installment in the series at the time.

Ashley Robbins from Another Code (Trace Memory), which was published by Nintendo and developed by Cing.

I think he means ashely robbins.
Yes thank you

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Chibi's down special seems to be inspired by Villager's pick-up special. But only works at projectiles going towards him rather than being able to pick them up.

Pretty neat, ideas they have going there. Kinda disappointing that Villager sorta took that away from Chibi-Robo in Smash For though.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Chibi's down special seems to be inspired by Villager's pick-up special. But only works at projectiles going towards him rather than being able to pick them up.

Pretty neat, ideas they have going there. Kinda disappointing that Villager sorta took that away from Chibi-Robo in Smash For though.
But Animal crossing literally is all about picking up stuff/collecting/socializing. Oh and time/customization. Maybe it could be implemented in a different unique way.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But Animal crossing literally is all about picking up stuff/collecting/socializing. Oh and time/customization. Maybe it could be implemented in a different unique way.
Well I can't deny that it fits the Villager much more. But it could be utilized differently like you said, maybe as a way to recover HP rather than storing projectiles? Chibi-Robo does pick up things to increase his battery life, right?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Well I can't deny that it fits the Villager much more. But it could be utilized differently like you said, maybe as a way to recover HP rather than storing projectiles? Chibi-Robo does pick up things to increase his battery life, right?
Chibi-Robo picks things up to clean areas and make people happy. Charging his battery comes from plugging that dangling plug of his into outlets in the wall.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Chibi-Robo picks things up to clean areas and make people happy. Charging his battery comes from plugging that dangling plug of his into outlets in the wall.

I remember Chibi charging up batteries after he picked something up in some footage for the 3DS eShop game.

Could be wrong though....

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I remember Chibi charging up batteries after he picked something up in some footage for the 3DS eShop game.

Could be wrong though....
He can find batteries in Photo Finder, as you said. Though, I'm pretty sure that's something new to the series, since I don't remember batteries in any other State-side CR games.

I think the "picking stuff up" method would work better as a grab. He just kind of scoops up opponents in his hands, and when he throwsthem, tosses them up into his head and launches them in whatever direction he wants.

Another thing I've been thinking of is how Chibi Robo's charging necessity would come into play. The obvious would either be 1) He needs to charge occasionally, or he'll take damage, or 2) He can charge himself to replenish health. However, those two ideas have problems, in and within themselves:

1) Making a character's unique trait a handicap (having to charge [in other words, leaving yourself vulnerable to keep from basically self-destructing]) is an awful idea. I don't know about everyone else, but if I play as a character who is set apart by self-harm, then I'd prefer just to play as, oh, you know, anyone else.

2) Replenishing health would most likely be either EXTREMELY cheap or EXTREMELY useless. I say this because of the possible speeds of health replenishing. If CR goes to an isolated corner of the stage and heals himself at a fast rate, he can just retreat every time he gets hurt and undo any damage he's received. That's extremely cheap. At the same time, if the healing process took a slow amount of time, then people could probably get to him and attack him before anything significant could happen, thus making the move useless.

That's why I think Chibi Robo's plug capabilities would work best if he were sort of a "turret" character. Perhaps, as the round goes on, his moves get progressively weaker and weaker. To bring his damage capabilities to his former glory, or even just make them stronger, he could have a move where an outlet surfaces and he taps into it. While his cord would disallow him from moving very far, his moves (let's say, for the sake of an example, the Chibi Blaster) would be at their full potential. And, as he does in the games, exiting Wall Outlet Mode would simply entail fighting against the tug of the cord in the outlet.

In a nutshell, he could function like a mobile turret, picking and choosing where he wants to settle, and then blasting people. Of course, there would be more to his moveset than settling and blasting, like cleaning and whatnot.

If you can't tell, I've been thinking long and hard (not really) about how he could be different.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
He can find batteries in Photo Finder, as you said. Though, I'm pretty sure that's something new to the series, since I don't remember batteries in any other State-side CR games.

I think the "picking stuff up" method would work better as a grab. He just kind of scoops up opponents in his hands, and when he throwsthem, tosses them up into his head and launches them in whatever direction he wants.

Another thing I've been thinking of is how Chibi Robo's charging necessity would come into play. The obvious would either be 1) He needs to charge occasionally, or he'll take damage, or 2) He can charge himself to replenish health. However, those two ideas have problems, in and within themselves:

1) Making a character's unique trait a handicap (having to charge [in other words, leaving yourself vulnerable to keep from basically self-destructing]) is an awful idea. I don't know about everyone else, but if I play as a character who is set apart by self-harm, then I'd prefer just to play as, oh, you know, anyone else.

2) Replenishing health would most likely be either EXTREMELY cheap or EXTREMELY useless. I say this because of the possible speeds of health replenishing. If CR goes to an isolated corner of the stage and heals himself at a fast rate, he can just retreat every time he gets hurt and undo any damage he's received. That's extremely cheap. At the same time, if the healing process took a slow amount of time, then people could probably get to him and attack him before anything significant could happen, thus making the move useless.

That's why I think Chibi Robo's plug capabilities would work best if he were sort of a "turret" character. Perhaps, as the round goes on, his moves get progressively weaker and weaker. To bring his damage capabilities to his former glory, or even just make them stronger, he could have a move where an outlet surfaces and he taps into it. While his cord would disallow him from moving very far, his moves (let's say, for the sake of an example, the Chibi Blaster) would be at their full potential. And, as he does in the games, exiting Wall Outlet Mode would simply entail fighting against the tug of the cord in the outlet.

In a nutshell, he could function like a mobile turret, picking and choosing where he wants to settle, and then blasting people. Of course, there would be more to his moveset than settling and blasting, like cleaning and whatnot.

If you can't tell, I've been thinking long and hard (not really) about how he could be different.
In the Japan only game on the DS I think you have to use the trash compactor for electricity and the outlets are used for powering the mini vacuum.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
In the Japan only game on the DS I think you have to use the trash compactor for electricity and the outlets are used for powering the mini vacuum.
I didn't know what could be done to recharge in the Japan-only DS title, which is why I only addressed the State-side Chibi Robo games. I know virtually nothing about that game outside of Jenny from the first game being in it.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Where has this been? I support! The little robot used to be one of my dark horse candidates.

I think it would be cool if he could hoard some items in his head (maybe 2-3) for later use. This in turn would not work on projectiles like Villager's Pocket move. That is certainly a way to make him both different and unique without entirely cheap in addition to charging up. (For example, you can't hoard Smash Balls and Health items). Maybe if he is completely full it will also make him slower to balance it out and make it more fair.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Where has this been? I support! The little robot used to be one of my dark horse candidates.

I think it would be cool if he could hoard some items in his head (maybe 2-3) for later use. This in turn would not work on projectiles like Villager's Pocket move. That is certainly a way to make him both different and unique without entirely cheap in addition to charging up. (For example, you can't hoard Smash Balls and Health items). Maybe if he is completely full it will also make him slower to balance it out and make it more fair.
You know, that would be pretty neat. The idea of "cleaning" the stage of a limited amount of items, only to pull them out and use them later...that's pretty awesome. Of course, it would only be helpful if you actually play with items, but it's an intriguing idea, nonetheless.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
You know, that would be pretty neat. The idea of "cleaning" the stage of a limited amount of items, only to pull them out and use them later...that's pretty awesome. Of course, it would only be helpful if you actually play with items, but it's an intriguing idea, nonetheless.
Well some characters have "items" so it isn't 100% useless, but close to it.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Well some characters have "items" so it isn't 100% useless, but close to it.
Yeah, I was thinking about that as I typed it. And, originally, I was only thinking of Diddy Kong. There's also ROB, ZSS, Wario...Peach...Link...by extension Toon Link...I think that's about it. Unless you count Waddle Dees as items.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So I finally got around to playing the Photo Finder demo on eshop. Twas pretty fun. I had never played a Chibi-Robo game before but I'd seen gameplay of Park Patrol and the original. I was a little worried that the game was going to just be taking picture but they left the classic formula in.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah, I was thinking about that as I typed it. And, originally, I was only thinking of Diddy Kong. There's also ROB, ZSS, Wario...Peach...Link...by extension Toon Link...I think that's about it. Unless you count Waddle Dees as items.
Also G&W's Judgement can produce an Apple I think, Megaman has the sticky bombs and saws, snake's grenade.... Maybe WFT's Soccer ball?

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Here, I made this. What'you guys think?
Speed (Walk)

Varies

Speed (Run)

Varies

Speed (Air)

Varies

Weight

Medium-Light

Falling Speed

Fast

Size

Medium-Small

Shield : Body

Large

Traction

Normal

Glide

No

Wall Jump

Yes

Jump Height

High

Number of Jumps

Two

Color Swaps

Six

Alternate Costume

Super Chibi-Robo

SPECIAL

MOVES

Neutral Special

Chibi-Blaster

Side Special

Chibi-Vacuum

Up Special

Chibi-Copter

Down Special

Chibi-Plug

Final Smash

Chibi-Storm

MOVESET

Jab 1/2 – Slices with right then left claw in front of him. Does 2% each. Enemies are dragged inwards.

Jab 3 – Waves his electrically charged right arm in front until the input is stopped. Deals 2% each hitbox of electrical damage. Enemies are dragged inwards.

Side Strong – Headbutts in front. Does 7% with strong forwards knockback. Has a moderate amount of startup lag.

Down Strong – While on both hands he kicks forwards with both legs. Does 5% while knocking opponents upwards. Can combo into itself.

Up Strong – Knees upwards. Does 9% with a huge disjointed hitbox, has completely vertical knockback.

Side Smash – Swings his toothbrush in front. Does 12% uncharged and 19% fully charged. Has very powerful horizontal knockback, and a moderate amount of startup lag.

Down Smash – Cuts 3 times in front with his choppers, moving forwards with each cut. The first 2 draw enemies slightly forwards into his range and the third launches vertically. Hits 1 and 2 do 3% uncharged and 5% fully charged. The last hit does 10% uncharged and 14% fully charged. Moderate end lag and a small amount of lag between cuts.

Up Smash – Swings his spoon overhead. The hit in front launches upwards and the hit behind launches behind him. Does 12% uncharged and 20% fully charged. Has moderate end lag.

Dash Attack – Does a spinning attack with his tail. Pulls enemies inwards and the last hit launches upwards. Each hit does 1% and the last does 3%. Virtually no lag.

Neutral Air – Does a sex kick. Launches vertically when clean and horizontally when late. Clean hit does 6%, late hit does 4%.

Forward Air – Launches water with the Chibi-Squirter. The water sprays far in front. The Chibi-Squirter hurtbox does 8% and the water hurtbox does 3% of water damage. High startup lag.

Backward Air – Whips his tail up, down then straight. The first 2 hits draw enemies into range of the third, which has powerful horizontal knockback. The first hits do 2% and the third does 12%. High end lag.

Up Air – Headbutts upwards. Powerful vertical knockback. Moderate start lag. Deals 10%.

Down Air – Claws downwards quickly. Does 4% with moderate horizontal knockback. Virtually no lag.

Grab – Whips his tail in front. Low lag, large reach.

Pummel – Punches. Does 2%. A quick pummel.

Forward Throw – Throws in front. Does 5%. Fixed knockback horizontally allows for easy combos and potential chaingrabs.

Down Throw – Slams the enemy to the ground then slaps with his tail. Does 13% with powerful horizontal knockback.

Up Throw – Wraps his tail around the opponent and then unfurls them upwards. Does 9% with fixed vertical knockback; useful for starting combos.

Backward Throw – Chucks behind him then stabs with his tail for electric damage. Does 11% with decent horizontal knockback.

Neutral Special (Chibi Blaster) – Shoots poison gas with his Chibi-Blaster. Has no knockback but deals high poison damage. 16%. Moderate endlag. Long range.

Sid Special (Chibi-Vacuum) – Pulls out his Chibi-Vacuum. Draws enemies towards him and traps them inside, to be tossed out. Acts as a grab instead of an attack. The throw deals 10%.

Up Special (Chibi-Copter) – Pulls the Chibi-Copter out of his head and propels himself upwards. Getting hit by the blades causes a trapping hitbox. Does 1% per each hitbox. Launches high vertically, can be angled diagonally.

Down Special (Chibi-Plug) – Plugs in to the ground to recharge. His battery level has 4 levels – Full, High, Low and Empty. Each level dictates how fast he moves. Each level lasts 30sec. It takes 1 second per battery level to recharge.

Final Smash (Chibi-Storm) – Summons a lightning storm to strike randomly. Each hit has very powerful horizontal knockback and does 25% of electric damage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Up Special (Chibi-Copter) – Pulls the Chibi-Copter out of his head and propels himself upwards. Getting hit by the blades causes a trapping hitbox. Does 1% per each hitbox. Launches high vertically, can be angled diagonally.
lets not forget that you can not use the chibi copter to fly upwards so it would make more sense for it to work in a similar manner to peach's parasol

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
lets not forget that you can not use the chibi copter to fly upwards so it would make more sense for it to work in a similar manner to peach's parasol
This is true.
But Smash being canonically correct, on the other hand...

slambros

Smash Ace
Now that he's in SSF2, he's basically going to be consisered for future smash bros games. I'm glad about that!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Chibi Robo is so cute and I am sure some people would ***** about him being playable in SSB4, so I totally support him.

Speaking of him, which game would be the best to start in the Chibi Robo franchise?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Chibi Robo is so cute and I am sure some people would ***** about him being playable in SSB4, so I totally support him.

Speaking of him, which game would be the best to start in the Chibi Robo franchise?
The original...hands down. Also, what would you guys think about actually having Telly as an AT or an up special he is pretty well known in the Chibi-Robo verse.

MrAmaboKcorb

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmaboKcorb
I remember playing Chibi-Robo when I was younger, it's the only game I can remember that I bought based on just the cover.
It would be amazing to see him in smash bros!
I support him for sure.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Chibi-Robo is an amazing choice for a Smash Bros newcomer - he's one of the few characters introduced by Nintendo during the Gamecube era that has lasted beyond it (with Olimar being another one) and has the potential to be perhaps the most unique character in the roster.

Sakurai has a tendency to overlook characters, as seen by his treatment of Starfy, but I would be outright amazed if he wasn't at least an assist trophy this time around.

Top Bottom