• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Competitive Kirby [ver 2.1]

Triple R

Smash Lord
whew, I'm glad I watched his set with Pamaro. After watching the ICE set I wasn't that impressed, but after the Pamaro set I could tell he knew what he was doing. I've been waiting for a Kirby to show up like this. I could tell Kirby can be better than what I do with him, since I'm not the quickest when it comes to smash and my fingers. I can tell Hack is legit after watching both sets.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I think he didn't abuse his crouch as much as Pamaro wasn't as familiar with the Kirby match-up.

Triple R

Smash Lord
T1mmy!!!!!! I wanted to look at nair's hitbox last night, and I remebered you had them here. I went and clicked on the move, but then Photobucket said it was a private album and wanted me to enter a password to continue. Do you know why this is?

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
lol i was messing around and sarcasm is hard to tell in text form my b.

Nashun

Smash Ace
It has to do with EVERYTHING. Fox's Uthrow is his most relevant throw; his other throws are probably only going to be used for positioning purposes which means they're just as good/bad as every other positional throw.

His Uthrow is only good because it leads into a guaranteed aerial. That is HUGE, considering one of fox's main kill moves is one of these guaranteed aerials.

Like I said, there's little you can do about it. You have to DI out of the Uair, but Bair is a fairly decent kill moe as well. So it almost doesn't matter.

What I want to ask is how Fox's throws are bad for YOU when you can't even tell how uair and bair were relevant to his throws. If you're not getting hit after his throws then Fox's throws are GOOD for you.

And I just told you exactly what you could (and can't) do about them, so that answers your original question.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
how bad could you possibly be that you didn't see what that had to do with anything.. jesus
It's not about how good or bad I am, it's about how good or bad my opponents are.
The only half decent combo the AI will do is Dthrow to Shine and I don't know any real players.

It has to do with EVERYTHING. Fox's Uthrow is his most relevant throw; his other throws are probably only going to be used for positioning purposes which means they're just as good/bad as every other positional throw.
Thankyou for explaining that.

His Uthrow is only good because it leads into a guaranteed aerial. That is HUGE, considering one of fox's main kill moves is one of these guaranteed aerials.
How guaranteed?

Like I said, there's little you can do about it. You have to DI out of the Uair, but Bair is a fairly decent kill moe as well. So it almost doesn't matter.
Air dodge? Stone? Aeriel Swallow? There's got to be some kind of response.

If you're not getting hit after his throws then Fox's throws are GOOD for you.
So a move that I can't out prioritise or avoid isn't a problem?

And I just told you exactly what you could (and can't) do about them, so that answers your original question.
Not really, you only said what could be done about the followup.

PeachKiller279

Smash Apprentice
kirby and competitive in the same title is an oxymoron.

I'd suggest changing the title to something more befitting of the worst character in the game.

Pichu is better. Kirby is free.

Deuces.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
It's not about how good or bad I am, it's about how good or bad my opponents are.
The only half decent combo the AI will do is Dthrow to Shine and I don't know any real players.

You should really watch videos of fox/ kirby then. granted, kirby vids are rare but they exist.

How guaranteed?

quite guarenteed. it works on puff from 0 into the 90's and I would guess that it works on kirby for 20% more or so than it works on puff.

and no there is no kind of response to it besides DI. and i could explain about smash di to you but im sure your not nearly good enough to use it. you can look it up yourself though, now that i think of it I think theres a link in kirbykaaze's signature to a thread about kirby sdi'ing fox's uair

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pichu is better. Kirby is free.
Kirby is a real character. Pichu is a joke.

You should really watch videos of fox/ kirby then. granted, kirby vids are rare but they exist.
I watch whatever Kirby stuff is linked to but just searching youtube for Kirby vids finds me all sorts of noobs and not a single person who is better than I am.

and no there is no kind of response to it besides DI.
I'm pretty sure I was attempting to suggest post DI responses to the followup.

and i could explain about smash di to you but im sure your not nearly good enough to use it.
You can think what you like but just because I don't play your way doesn't mean I'm bad at the game.

Nashun

Smash Ace
The fact that you don't play people means you're bad at the game. Knowledge is that important and you don't have it. Guaranteed means guaranteed. He's going to hit you after his uthrow no matter what you do. If he goes for the uair it's going to hit, but you have to DI out of the 2nd hit. If he goes for the bair you're gonna get hit but its not as bad as his uair.

There is no other response. That's what guaranteed means. Come on dude. Suggesting some of his slowest moves like swallow and stone is borderline idiotic.

Also, if you're saying you can't outprioritize or avoid fox's grabs, then you have no idea whatsoever of what you're talking about. Nearly every move in the game beats grab unless its perfectly spaced and timed, and you can avoid it by not sitting in your shield. I don't know why you think fox's actual grab is so much better than anyone else's.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The fact that you don't play people means you're bad at the game.
Well that's hardly my fault now is it?

Suggesting some of his slowest moves like swallow and stone is borderline idiotic.
Stone grants temporary invincibility and swallow has good priority and range. I considered suggesting Nair for speed but couldn't be bothered. I don't know the situation myself.

Nearly every move in the game beats grab unless its perfectly spaced and timed, and you can avoid it by not sitting in your shield.
Only a fool would sit in their shield. I fight fox properly but no matter what I do, his grabs never fail. I Fsmash him and get grabbed, Ftilt him and get grabbed, Dsmash him and get grabbed, Dtilt him and get grabbed, Dair him and get grabbed, attempt to swallow him and he jumps and grabs me from behind. No matter what I do, if Fox wants to grab me, I get grabbed. I don't get it.

I don't know why you think fox's actual grab is so much better than anyone else's.
Because everyone else's can be ducked or is slow.

Nashun

Smash Ace
If you attack with the assumption that you're not going to hit, you're going to be spaced correctly to avoid the grab anyways!

BunBun

Smash Master
No. You're trying to make certain options less appealing so your opponent will be more likely to choose others, which you want to read for.

Or even just zoning the area as a defense with Kirby's fencepost of pain.

Nashun

Smash Ace
When you're playing basketball, if your opponent shoots the ball you're going to run for the rebound because you assume he's going to miss. It's kinda the same idea. It costs almost nothing to throw out the move. Risk vs. Reward.

Zoler

Smash Ace
His trick he was talking about was actually probably an accident. No smart Kirby will do that off stage like that. I know I do it on accident sometimes.

First off, I heard people saying ICE was the M2K of Europe. After watching that set It's clear that was a little over the top, since I don't think he's even close to M2K level. lol

Second, it's obvious his Kirby is really good, but I wish I was playing PAL sometimes lol. I saw multiple times where his Kirby lived at percents that he would have died if it was NTSC. Then there was the Marth dair that he meteor canceled, which I wish I could do over here.... lol.

Third, wow at all that rolling..... He's lucky he only used Kirby two sets, he probably would have come across someone in bracket that would punish that pretty quick if he used him more.

Fourth, people need to stop playing against Kirby like they are sacred of him XD

Ice is the European m2k because he plays fox, sheik and marth, the same as m2k... -___-

Also Hack has been playing Kirby for years, it's nothing new....

Top Bottom