• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
...which is partly why I was curious as to why you were doing this but anyway, I'd like to give a proper input rather than slag Mario off...I want some love as well ;___;
Gee, I wonder. Well as long as my guys in this forum continue to pursue knowledge in these matters, I'm here to contribute.

I knew I'd get hassled about the F Smash business...sorry xD It outranges Peach's aerials, if you see her coming down with a Fair, you can F Smash and the F Smash should win provided you've spaced it (you guys stutter step yours like Sonic right?). Angling it upwards helps
Lol, I F-smash a lot. Stutter steps are awesome and amazing, but many times when I'm in range, and if I think my opponent isn't going to spotdodge, I just blatantly do regular F-smashes. The crazy leanback is crazy.

(although I'd appreciate someone explaining to me how Mario's planking game works).
Ledgedrop U-airs are able to hit people that whiff next to the ledge. Ledgehop fireballs are moderately gay. Cape stalling is relatively lagless. Mario's Up-B is hard to punish offstage.

Also, the other popular way of punishing whiffs is Reverse Cape -> B-air.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Mario is quite difficult. If you're good with him.

Mario's Ground game kind of beats out Peaches.

Our two frame Jab is all we have to protect ourself, but I'm pretty sure Mario's jab is quite safe.

Not to mention the camp-ability of Mario exceeds our own, and with proper spacing, his Air game could entirely shut us down. We are used to spacing Fairs, but Mario can punish that if he reads it. And though reading is a very subjective argument to base a matchup on, considering how slow Peach's Fair is, it's not unrealistic to say that you won't eventually 'catch' on.

Peach is also very very easy to spike. She has nothing she can really punish you with when you go out to spike her. Sure, you'll get Faird, but you'll trade hits, and she'll go plummeting to her death while you lol cause she can't kill, so her Fair makes you twitch.

Mario's Back air gives peach trouble. Peaches 'air' game is thwarted by his fireballs and his bair.

And Mario combos are too good. I've seen them. He isn't a joke character.

This matchup is Hard if the mario plays it correctly.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Not to mention the camp-ability of Mario exceeds our own, and with proper spacing, his Air game could entirely shut us down. We are used to spacing Fairs, but Mario can punish that if he reads it. And though reading is a very subjective argument to base a matchup on, considering how slow Peach's Fair is, it's not unrealistic to say that you won't eventually 'catch' on.

Peach is also very very easy to spike. She has nothing she can really punish you with when you go out to spike her. Sure, you'll get Faird, but you'll trade hits, and she'll go plummeting to her death while you lol cause she can't kill, so her Fair makes you twitch.

Mario's Back air gives peach trouble. Peaches 'air' game is thwarted by his fireballs and his bair.
Sky, please this me this part right here is some kind of joke post or something.

Matt07

Smash Master
Peach's jab alone destroy's Mario ground game, it's so quick by the time we short hop we'll get hit by it. And she can glide toss turnips all day, follow up with a pivot grab. We're screwed. Or maybe it's just me that get's wrecked by her ground game >_<.

NNID
LilG912
How can a 50:50 be in either characters favour?

It's either 50:50 or a Peach advantage. Also, if we're talking about linking together moves (chaining, not comboing), I'd give that to Peach as well. Peaches don't need turnips to set up kill moves. Have you played any notable Peaches, Lil' G? It sounds like you don't know the matchup.
I did play pro Peach players, they beat me and I beat them, it couldn't be in Peachy's favor, i can't see it, tho, in my opinion.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario is quite difficult. If you're good with him.

Mario's Ground game kind of beats out Peaches.

Our two frame Jab is all we have to protect ourself, but I'm pretty sure Mario's jab is quite safe.

And Mario combos are too good. I've seen them. He isn't a joke character.

This matchup is Hard if the mario plays it correctly.
This post completely took me by surprise...I have no clue how to respond to it.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I use Peach and Mario about the same amount and I have to say that Sky is wrong in some regards. Peach's camp game is better than Mario's. Fireballs do low damage and due to how slow they are, they are better to be used as an approach. Fireballs also lag more. Peach can use that new slidy AT (I just recently learned how to do it and havn't fully implemented it into my play yet, I only do the AT about half the time anyway), the AT can be used to retreat while plucking a turnip and a reverse glide toss only enhances that distance. Turnip throws into retreating autofloated fairs/bairs are a threat.

Peach is also not easy to meteor, it's not THAT hard to meteor her, especially if you hit her with a fireball first or she's hup-chai'ing relatively close to you for whatever reason. However, when she's in her float, she has a lot of control and she can also Toad people that try to edgeguard her, plus her parasol defends her well from meteors anyway.

Fireballs can be Toad'd, bair does fairly well against her aerial game, but it doesn't shut it down, not bair or fair at least. Other aerials are not used in a position where bair would hit them for most cases.

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
I have to disagree with Veggi, Mario can camp peach better than she can. Mario has the cape and Fludd and sexy bairs which mess peaches aproach. Peach can try to camp with the turnips but mario's overall better air game can break through that. Peaches falling speed makes it a little easier when mario thries to land a meteor.

Sky`

Smash Lord
*shrug* Mario isn't a joke.

Vato Break illustrates that when I play him.

As well as TC1.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I have to disagree with Veggi, Mario can camp peach better than she can. Mario has the cape and Fludd and sexy bairs which mess peaches aproach. Peach can try to camp with the turnips but mario's overall better air game can break through that. Peaches falling speed makes it a little easier when mario thries to land a meteor.
How I forgot about Mario's options for getting rid of projectiles is beyond me.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
There is no end to this. This is not an easy win for either side. That's figured out. Some people say its even, some 55:45 Peach. I thought we agreed on 55:45 Peach and ended. Unless somebody knows groundbreaking news to change it, its probably gonna stay like that or turn even. So let's decide on which one is gonna be used and move on.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Bo, what sky has said is wrong. i find it hard to believe he plays top Marios saying this. or he has no clue how to handle Mario well. What he said is not true. I am surprised YOU are even agreeing with this and you are one of the top Marios.

And final input on this match up is Peach favor 55:45.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
TC1 is one of the best Marios on the WC, and Sky seems pretty competent in the matchup from what footage I can remember seeing. Just sayin...

Famous

Smash Champion
Technical Peaches are hard to handle though...You can't let her attack above you...and its easy to get baited by the lagless fair-jab thing

Sky`

Smash Lord
*shrug* Drk. Pch, I stand by my statements. And if you would read very carefully, they are all for the most part Legit.

Of Course, I didn't go into detail about the advantages Peach has over mario, I just figured that I'd let you take care of that.

But it seems the majority agrees with me.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
If people wanna agree with that then fine then. Still does not make it right. Marios that try that to me got nowhere. I'm not saying this cause I am a Peach player. I'm saying this cause when people try this, I just rn right through this. I know what Mario can do and will try to do to me. Idk how this is getting to Peach players. Mario is not suppose to get away with that.

I'm sorry but thats just a no.

NNID
LilG912
can you give some names, please?
Ok, I brawled 2 gud Peach players, but the rest of dem ain't gud to compare to my Mario. Darky-Sama from Fatal 5 Clan if y'all heard of it and Nazo is the best Peach players that I played but Darky-Sama is much aggressive tho. I know Mario will a tough time beating Peach due to spacing, spam and camp. I mostly usually 65% of the b button and 35% of a button to fight off Peachy.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Ok, I brawled 2 gud Peach players, but the rest of dem ain't gud to compare to my Mario. Darky-Sama from Fatal 5 Clan if y'all heard of it and Nazo is the best Peach players that I played but Darky-Sama is much aggressive tho. I know Mario will a tough time beating Peach due to spacing, spam and camp. I mostly usually 65% of the b button and 35% of a button to fight off Peachy.
You do realize that this was wi-fi, right?

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
Some of this stuff is becoming irrelevant to the match-up. 50-50 sounds about right, being that this is such a close match up a Peach player will argue on their favor and mario players will argue on their favor.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Some of this stuff is becoming irrelevant to the match-up. 50-50 sounds about right, being that this is such a close match up a Peach player will argue on their favor and mario players will argue on their favor.
No Mario has said it's in their favor. Should we do what we did with Marth and put both up or put 52:48? Either that or we can keep arguing to decide which one of the two is reasonable.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You do realize that this was wi-fi, right?
He also said back then that he faced top Peach players. These are not top players

Hope you realize it is like this with every match up discussed aroune here right?

Also just about every Mario has come here saying it is in Peach favor. And Peach mains like me, Praxis and Mikey came in here explaining out side and telling you itis in Peach Favor. I think that should cover what it should be.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Wut does wi-fi has to due w/ it tho? I don't get it? o_O? I know it lags but the Peach players that I faced, we didnt lag.
It's still wi-fi. If it wasn't a tournament match, or a crew battle, neither of you should've been taking it seriously. Wi-Fi is horrible at determining the better player because it always lags.

Top Peaches would be something like this; Edrees, Praxis, Dark.Pch, Excel_Zero. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. (I'm positive there's more I missed.)

Also consider Rowan, King Beef, Sky and Meno other notable Peaches.

It'd make sense if you fought any of the above players offline, but you're formulating an argument based on one player you've fought over wi-fi that isn't even a regular tournament attendee.

I really and truly don't believe you know this matchup well enough because you aren't playing good Peaches.

Sky`

Smash Lord
It's still wi-fi. If it wasn't a tournament match, or a crew battle, neither of you should've been taking it seriously. Wi-Fi is horrible at determining the better player because it always lags.

Top Peaches would be something like this; Edrees, Praxis, Dark.Pch, Excel_Zero. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. (I'm positive there's more I missed.)

Also consider Rowan, King Beef, Sky and Meno are other notable Peaches.

It'd make sense if you fought any of the above players offline, but you're formulating an argument based on one player you've fought over wi-fi that isn't even a regular tournament attendee.

I really and truly don't believe you know this matchup well enough because you aren't playing good Peaches.
From best peach on the WC according to M2K, to a 'notable' peach.

X] Never thought titles would get to me.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm pretty sad that my poor grammar was left in that post. ;__;

Metatitan

Smash Master
My god, we've taken the matchup discussion and turned it into a debate on who the top peaches are. To both sky and dark, I hope you know that unless you consistently place high (which neither of you do, but sky quit peach for awhile so we'll see), it is extremely tasteless to call yourselves top or best peach mains on a certain coast. I'm not saying either of you aren't, but let other people give you titles and let them bring that here instead of yourselves.

Back onto the matchup, Vato are you going to active gamers? I'd like to take a shot at the matchup and see how I do :)

Sky`

Smash Lord
Lool.

No no no, don't get me wrong. I really did say it for the lulz. I just found it interesting how I've dropped so low in the public's eyes.

I gotta step mah game up! =D Now that mama's back. X]

Top Bottom