• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

SKidd

Smash Master
First time I fully read one of A2Z's uber long posts :D!
A2Z (or someone else) tell me about Marth, I try to camp him but when he's forced to approach i'm always not profiting from it, he breaks through. wat do

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You gotta basically bait Marth into hitting your shield (or whiffing on your F-smash leanback or something) and punish him.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
You gotta basically bait Marth into hitting your shield (or whiffing on your F-smash leanback or something) and punish him.
quick question: is the forward movement of the Stutter-step Before, or after the actual attack (as in, can you stutter step charge F-Smash, or do you have to wait for the other guy to miss first)?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The backstep is during start-up, so you can charge that part. The forward step is when you release the attack.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Sorry for the necro, but I really must ask...

- 52:48

WTCrap? Why 52:48 as opposed to 50:50 ro 55:45?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario has a LEGIT CG on Fox actually.

F-throw chaingrab which can end with an inescapable reverse F-smash, but it works best if his F-throw is stale. But if you have balls and the conditions are right, you can do something like a few F-throws to get him over 20% and then finish the string with reverse Upangled F-smash for over 40 damage. Not exactly easy to pull off and there is a chance of a trip ruining the combo, but disregarding that it's completely legit.

When I play the Fox matchup usually I just try to grab him and do F-throw -> D-throw and then some U-air juggles. The F-throw at 0 makes the D-throw U-air juggles work better.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
sigh.. neither have legitimate cg's on any characters without the use of SV's moving platform
This is false. Mario has chaingrabs on heavies and fast-fallers, most notably Fox. Problem is F-throw has to be very stale or the opponent has to be at 0% for it to work. Since Mario's grab range is poor, this is negligible for match-ups.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario vs Ike on wifi is 80/20 Mario.

It will look like Ike's advantage until you realize that walking and throwing fireballs renders him completely useless. Trying anything else fancy usually puts the situation in Ike's favor. So just walk away from him and throw fireballs. He doesn't have the tools to stop you from running away from him, and it isn't hard to condition him to be punished by other moves when you shut down most of his options with grounded fireballs.

As evidence, not a single Ike beat me on the previous AiB ladder.

UberMario

Smash Master
Yeah, I've noticed Ike is REALLY bad on wifi, especially in the hands of an inexperienced player, I once 3-stocked an Ike n00b with 9 moves: BThrow, Cape, Ledge Grab x3 lol

But seriously, I've noticed it's MUCH easier to overwhelm them online than offline.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike is actually really good on wifi. Until you projectile camp him, and then he immediately becomes useless.

But if you don't have a projectile, he's STUPIDLY hard to deal with since his F-air is basically the best wifi poke in the game.

Top Bottom